• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

I wonder who the Celestial Emissary is supposed to be - the rest of the bosses have specific names but Celestial Emissary is the only one that's generic.

I don't think Celestial Emissary in any more generic than stuff like Cleric Beast or Blood Starved Beast to be honest.

RiggyRob

I don't think Celestial Emissary in any more generic than stuff like Cleric Beast or Blood Starved Beast to be honest.

True, but you can infer that Cleric Beast was the captain of the Church Hunters after
Ludwig got stuck in the Hunter's Nightmare
because of the Hunter Chief Emblem. You're right about Blood-Starved Beast though, cause there's the one hanging in Old Yarnham, so that's definitely generic.

There's just literally nothing to explain who the Celestial Emissary is/was or where it came from.

Ringing bell ;)

Good timing :p

edit
Anyone wanna help with Martyr Logarius on NG?
Sure since I am already in game. What do you want the password to be? And meet you by the lamp post or in front of Martyr's fog gate?

Thanks a lot guys. Sorry for being such a coward for the second part, but died so many times from his three swing combo.
no worries, rather one of us die instead of you :p he does hit hard during the 2nd phase.

d00d3n

Thanks a lot guys. Sorry for being such a coward for the second part, but died so many times from his three swing combo.

Sullichin

Moonlight Sword...
I really like it but I find myself using it untransformed almost exclusively, because of the incredible stagger on the R2. Wondering, does it just do phys damage in its claymore form or is it a phys/arcane mix?

Well
Lady Maria
was a challenge but didn't feel nearly as difficult as
Ludwig
. Didn't get nearly as frustrated with this fight. I'm loving this DLC more the further I play. Those
Giants at the bottom of the well
are really handing it to me, but I decided to skip them for now. Is there anything interesting to be discovered down there?

Well
Lady Maria
Ludwig
. Didn't get nearly as frustrated with this fight. I'm loving this DLC more the further I play. Those
are really handing it to me, but I decided to skip them for now. Is there anything interesting to be discovered down there?

Rakuyo aka Lady Maria's weapon

Well
Lady Maria
Ludwig

A special weapon but if you advance you can find another entrance to that Well.

Is there any theory on the DLC or any new light shed on the story? I feel like I just played a boss rush game and have no clue what the hell just happened. Last boss just appeared out of nowhere too.

Fhtagn

Oh man, what I would do for a Bloodborne 2. Bloodborne was a massive success for sony! Why wouldn't they make a sequel?

Well, Miyazaki is the President of From now and depending on what terms Bloodborne was made under, it could be that he has a final say on what the follow up would be like.

I think since Bloodborne sold so well on the strength of "new game from Dark Souls auteur!" the follow up might be another new IP, with new but related mechanics.

Or there might be a related sequel that doesn't directly involve any of the characters from this one.

SarusGray

Well, Miyazaki is the President of From now and depending on what terms Bloodborne was made under, it could be that he has a final say on what the follow up would be like.

I think since Bloodborne sold so well on the strength of "new game from Dark Souls auteur!" the follow up might be another new IP, with new but related mechanics.

Or there might be a related sequel that doesn't directly involve any of the characters from this one.

I'm surprised that it "exceeded" expectations. Don't dark souls games usually sell well?

myco666

I'm surprised that it "exceeded" expectations. Don't dark souls games usually sell well?

Original Dark Souls sold around 2.5 million copies across three platforms in its lifetime. Bloodborne has already sold 2 million copies on one platform in less than a year. I would assume they didn't expect it to sell that much on one platform so fast.

They've all sold between 2-3m. Well, Demons' Souls sold 1.7 million.

However, Bloodborne passed 2 million back in September and is still selling. It is only available on one console (which is much cheaper for development and publishing costs). It will probably sell as much as any of the Souls games while being on significantly fewer platforms, which must certainly look attractive to FROM.

addyb

Yeah, let's not forget Kojima kept sayig "this is the last Metal Gear" since 1. What Miyazaki wants and what From will let him do are probably different things. Soulsbornes print money.

Let's not forget he's the president of From now so make of that what you will.

Well
Lady Maria
Ludwig

They were really tough for me till i started using the Old Hunter Bone. With it I was able to completely dodge them and kill them both in the well.

d00d3n

Is it a good thing to jump down the elevator shaft on laboratory floor 4 in the R
esearch
H
all
? Or will I die?

HORRORSHØW

Moonlight Sword...
I really like it but I find myself using it untransformed almost exclusively, because of the incredible stagger on the R2. Wondering, does it just do phys damage in its claymore form or is it a phys/arcane mix?

yeah, purely physical. love the R2 too, and use it only in 1h mode

xPhinehas

Has anyone else had trouble getting the All Weapons trophy for the base game? I'm positive I have all the weapons but the trophy won't unlock. I have 100% of the trophies from the expansion as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Has anyone else had trouble getting the All Weapons trophy for the base game? I'm positive I have all the weapons the the trophy won't unlock. I have 100% of the trophies from the expansion as well.
Might be missing one from the store. Also do you have the
beast claws
and the
Burial Blade
? Also you got all the guns?

xPhinehas

Torch and Hunter's Torch? Wooden Shield? Each and every gun?

I know for a fact that the trophy only counts stuff from the core game. It unlocked for me before I'd even beaten the first DLC boss.

I've checked, double checked, and triple checked. I have all the weapons. Apparently since I'm in NG+ I may need to find the torch again, so I'm going to go find it.

konjak

So, uh.... am I missing something here? I beat the last mandatory DLC boss first time in second attempt, NG+1. Now I'm in NG+3 (didn't fight it in 2), and I mean... there is no way to touch the boss in phase 2. Not at all. It rarely does parry attacks, it just absolutely spams projectiles until I'm dead. How am I supposed to do this? There are zero openings to try slashes too. Phase 1 is super easy.

I am at my wit's end, hah.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Maria
was amazing. These new bosses have been excellent. So far I'm not really in love with any of the new weapons though. I've been trying Moonlight Sword but I can't get the damage output up high enough to compete with my old weapons. Guess I need to try and boost Arcane.

I've got a question about Simon.
He's still hanging out by the first lamppost shortcut after beating a few bosses. Am I screwed out of the quest line for some reason? I thought I answered yes to his question....

Can someone reccomend a good guide to finding all the weapons as well? I want to try out a few more before I finish.

True, but you can infer that Cleric Beast was the captain of the Church Hunters after
Ludwig got stuck in the Hunter's Nightmare
because of the Hunter Chief Emblem. You're right about Blood-Starved Beast though, cause there's the one hanging in Old Yarnham, so that's definitely generic.

There's just literally nothing to explain who the Celestial Emissary is/was or where it came from.

I'm sort of confused if you've played the DLC or not. I guess you have, but missed some things? A lot of things? If not, do not unspoiler.

The Celestial Emissary is the culmination of the Choir's experiments (as seen in the Research Hall) to turn humans into a being that can commune with the Great Old Ones. The normal "alien" enemies are intermediary steps along the way, and the Living Failures, big-head patients, and gooey brain puddles are the cast-offs. The false Iosefka was attempting to continue these experiments in her clinic, and casting off the results into the forest.

So, uh.... am I missing something here? I beat the last mandatory DLC boss first time in second attempt, NG+1. Now I'm in NG+3 (didn't fight it in 2), and I mean... there is no way to touch the boss in phase 2. Not at all. It rarely does parry attacks, it just absolutely spams projectiles until I'm dead. How am I supposed to do this? There are zero openings to try slashes too. Phase 1 is super easy.

I am at my wit's end, hah.

I'm still in NG+, but perhaps that new shield which supposedly blocks magic attacks could help? Otherwise, Google turned up a few results, maybe these'll help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okuX_IkT3iY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1ZmJ-YNsg

Top Bottom