• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

NEO0MJ

A question. What am I supposed to do with
the headbanger in the cell?

Also, kinda disappointed that
Laurence was a remixed cleric beast. Felt that character deserved more.

Combatwise the second boss is lame I agree but it is visually one of my favorite fights in the game. Also the theme is really good.

True, but it's kinda disappointing considering that most Souls DLC bosses were mean as fuck.

The second boss is just an appetite before the third one just like CE. great visuals.

CE?

Yeah beat him today with a new character. I wonder if that patch buffed him a bit cause I lost twice after beating him the third time.

Wasn't the patch just to lock the DLC away from those who didn't buy it?

Sephzilla

Oh, I'll get him. I am just experiencing the frustration on the way to doing it, lol.

For Reigning Yharnam Yo-Yo Champion O
rphan of Kos
it's all about close range dodges in my opinion. Stay right on him and punish him immediately after he attempts something (his phase 1 attacks are really predictable). In phase 2 the only thing I really worry about is his big lightning attack, other than that he still is fairly predictable. He can also be parried/riposted

Otherwise, just summon a buddy. Coop against him is a cakewalk because you can basically just take turns beating him like he stole your lunch money.

depths20XX

I've struggled with Maria more than any other boss in this game. I dunno what it is. Ok I may have been a bit drunk when I was fighting her... But still, her second phase just wrecks me. I guess I'm just timing the dodge on her delayed attacks wrong?

Any advice? Other than don't play drunk.

Roussow

Celestial Emissary, the boss that preceded Ebrietas. CE is thematically very similar to the Living Failures,
in fact, more than thematically familiar, speculation is that they are the failed remnants of the "successful" CE.

I've struggled with Maria more than any other boss in this game. I dunno what it is. Ok I may have been a bit drunk when I was fighting her... But still, her second phase just wrecks me. I guess I'm just timing the dodge on her delayed attacks wrong?

Any advice? Other than don't play drunk.

I made sure to stick to a strategy. Which the two primary ones are either when you dodge, dodge in, or dodge out. Those are my two options. By dodging in, i'm committing to a very aggressive play, constantly wailing away at her, dodging under her swings right under her, getting off full combos stunning her with each hit (or string, depending on weapon). By dodging out alternatively, I'm committing to beating her purely with rallies (or counters, or whatever they're called) and visceral attacks -- if you're going to try this, bring a blunderbuss, pistols tend to be to precise, shooting right past her, or even over her (if she's real close). The second phase attacks are even more telegraphed than the first phase, being even easier to shoot & counter. You could even alternate these play-styles between phases, or on a whim -- but the latter takes a good deal of mental dexterity if you're not all familiar with your opponent.

For my money, going one on one up close and personal is a way more fun and honest fight.

NEO0MJ

Celestial Emissary, the boss that preceded Ebrietas. CE is thematically very similar to the Living Failures,
in fact, more than thematically familiar, speculation is that they are the failed remnants of the "successful" CE.

Oh yeah, they came to mind when I saw them.

myco666

A question. What am I supposed to do with
the headbanger in the cell?

Also, kinda disappointed that
Laurence was a remixed cleric beast. Felt that character deserved more.

True, but it's kinda disappointing considering that most Souls DLC bosses were mean as fuck.

As for the question just kill him if you want the set. If you want him to continue chanting that fantastic stuff leave him be.

Laurence
was somewhat disappointing for sure but atleast the fight had really unique twist to it. It was really infuriating fight though.

Well LF is basically mean version of CE. I actually feel like LF is what CE was originally supposed to be since CE is just regular enemy mob + one that is just a bigger version of the regular mob whereas LF is actually new design. The fight also much better than CE IMO.

sheaaaa

Wait, can't you just go back and get it. I missed it as well, but I was
able to go back, talk to the head until it mumbles and then attack it and I got the sword.

I went back too late I think, by that time S
imon
had already gone through and put arrows in the head and the two enemies in the next corridor, killing them permanently. Honestly it's bullshit!

Razzorn34

Finally got my solo
Ludwig
kill last night. BL120. Took around 70 tries. =/ I could sleep through the first phase, but 2nd is just so damn unpredictable. I know I'll get
Living Failures
and
Maria
without much issue since I almost beat them before. Even
Kos
is only hard at the end since you can parry him. I think
Lawrence
is probably going to take me a while though.

Maybesew

Have a save before it happens. Either copy your save to a usb drive or upload it on cloud. If you upload it on cloud, make sure it won't auto upload your save files. Do X ending, delete x ending save file from yor hard drive, then redownload the previous save from cloud or usb drive.

Where on the PS4 do I actually do this? Ive never messed with save files, and it's all just worked automatically for me.

NEO0MJ

Miriam
is fast, super fast. Plus
her range is crazy in the second phase is crazy considering how fast she is. Good think we can parry her

As for the question just kill him if you want the set. If you want him to continue chanting that fantastic stuff leave him be.

Laurence
was somewhat disappointing for sure but atleast the fight had really unique twist to it. It was really infuriating fight though.

Well LF is basically mean version of CE. I actually feel like LF is what CE was originally supposed to be since CE is just regular enemy mob + one that is just a bigger version of the regular mob whereas LF is actually new design. The fight also much better than CE IMO.

Well, I know what I'm doing to that guy now, lol.

I have yet to really fight
Laurence, as I Bold Hunter Marked away.

And no doubt about the third point. CE was probably the worst non-chalice boss in the game.

Roussow

Miriam
is fast, super fast. Plus
her range is crazy in the second phase is crazy considering how fast she is. Good think we can parry her

And no doubt about the third point. CE was probably the worst non-chalice boss in the game.

It's kind of inoffensive though, it basically exists only as a lore footnote, it's a complete pushover -- so it doesn't really bother me.

dan2026

How do you get the Bastard of Loran item?

I have worked out in order to get it you unlock chalice dungeons which are unlocked after beating Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice. Only problem is that in order to create the Defiled Chalice you need the Bastard of Loran item?

Am I missing something or is this impossible?

Maybesew

I have worked out in order to get it you unlock chalice dungeons which are unlocked after beating Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice. Only problem is that in order to create the Defiled Chalice you need the Bastard of Loran item?

Am I missing something or is this impossible?

It's in Ailing Loran.

RiggyRob

Special video to give a bit of context to the end of the next episode, Pimmsy witnesses Alfred's downfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1-8KFKnzQ

Alfred's still my favourite bro in Bloodborne, even if he's a religious lunatic. He helps you out, gives you info and Fire Paper, and his speech in Castle Cainhurst is probably my favourite dialogue of the entire game.

Now the real episode 14, Pimmsy vs. Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJFTm_8VIE

I really liked the subtle detail of
Ebrietas's shield against Mensis Scholar Damien's Blacksky Eye spell, I hadn't seen it before against A Call Beyond for example. I think we've missed it or haven't looked hard enough, but is there an actual explanation as to why the Altar of Despair reverses time? I also find it weird it only applies to Queenly Flesh
- I mean, what's the criteria for something being able to be used on the altar?

NEO0MJ

Beat
Maria
. Kinda easier than I was expecting. Maybe because
I parry her too often. It completely shuts her down, regardless of range.

myco666

That second phase is going to be a blast let me tell you that.

CE is definitely worst boss in the main game. It barely even feels like a boss.

Beat
Maria

I think the fact that she flinches from any single attack is what makes it really easy. You can just spam R1 and she can't do anything during and you can just bait attacks to parry if spam R1. Last form sucks though since you can get hit even if you get the parry making you not get the Visceral.

Yes but you can't get there without going through Amygdala who is in the Defiled Chalice.
Which needs 2 bastards of loran to unlock!

Hence the problem. How do you get 2 BOL?

Amygdala is in Nightmare Frontier. That's the one that gives you the Ailing Loran Chalice

NEO0MJ

Last form sucks though since you can get hit even if you get the parry making you not get the Visceral.

True, that. Last area now, I feel all itchy.
Where is the hooded Hunter supposed to be now? I last saw him at the bottom of the research hall.

silva1991

Normally you get them from Loran dungeon, but now I'm pretty sure you can buy them at insight shop.

Beat
Maria

They should have made some of her swings unparryable imo.

like in Bayonetta you can't activate witch time when dodging some later bosses attacks.

NEO0MJ

They should have made some of her swings unparryable imo.

Nah, that would ruin things. It's one thing to be able to dodge and not trigger witchtime, as you're still safe, but if you put yourself in danger and not get rewarded and you wonder if you got the timing wrong then it feels like bad design. Maybe they shouldn't have made her so susceptible to stun, though.

xPhinehas

I'm going through the Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice trying to get to Yharnam Queen for the trophy. If anyone wants to join let me know. I'll have the gafhunt netcode on. PSN: Phinehas_

Ferr986

Normally you get them from Loran dungeon, but now I'm pretty sure you can buy them at insight shop.

Nah, you can't unless you already beat a Depth 5 Chalice AND you're at NG+.

I recently finished all of the Chalices with a new dude and had to farm them all (same as the rest of materials). Is as shitty as always.

xPhinehas

DANG! That
Headless Blood-letting Beast
is tough! I'm just gonna take the passcode off. I'll take any help I can get.

Edit: Nevermind. Pizza cutter OP.

I don't want to read too many spoilers, so I haven't looked through the thread and this may have been answered already, but here goes:

I can't download the 1.08 patch. It keeps telling me it can't download it and to clear space, but I have like 7GB and I very much doubt it'll be bigger than that. Is it? Anyone else had trouble downloading it?

I'm playing offline (my PS+ sub expired and I haven't renewed), so maybe it doesn't matter that much, but it's really bugging me.

taybul

I don't want to read too many spoilers, so I haven't looked through the thread and this may have been answered already, but here goes:

I can't download the 1.08 patch. It keeps telling me it can't download it and to clear space, but I have like 7GB and I very much doubt it'll be bigger than that. Is it? Anyone else had trouble downloading it?

I'm playing offline (my PS+ sub expired and I haven't renewed), so maybe it doesn't matter that much, but it's really bugging me.

I think the size reporting might be throwing it off. I've read that people have seen the requirement say it needs closer to 10GB to download but the size of the actual patch is only 100MB+. It might be counting the size of the whole game + patches for some reason. Try to clear up a few more GBs and try again.

I just bought bloodborne and put it in for the first time... it's downloading patch 1.08 and it says it is 9.3GB. I don't know how that compares to the previous patches or whatever.

I think the size reporting might be throwing it off. I've read that people have seen the requirement say it needs closer to 10GB to download but the size of the actual patch is only 100MB+. It might be counting the size of the whole game + patches for some reason. Try to clear up a few more GBs and try again.

I just bought bloodborne and put it in for the first time... it's downloading patch 1.08 and it says it is 9.3GB. I don't know how that compares to the previous patches or whatever.

Thanks guys. Will free more space.

Mutombo

I'm trying to make my way to the Pthumeru Chalice Depth 5. Because I want those blood gems. But right now I'm struggling my way through the Defiled Cursed Pthumeru. Which is doable, but that damn Watch Dog is kicking my ass.

Am I going the right way, or can I get the proper Chalice through another route?

silva1991

Nah, you can't unless you already beat a Depth 5 Chalice AND you're at NG+.

I recently finished all of the Chalices with a new dude and had to farm them all (same as the rest of materials). Is as shitty as always.

I totally skipped loran dungeon with my arcane character by buying bastar of loran from the insight shop. glitch maybe?

myco666

Played the sh*t out of the main game and will get this next month - 233 pages later I guess it's a good DLC :) ?

If you liked the main game you will most likely like this also. Pretty much just more Bloodborne with bunch of great new weapons and cool new boss fights.

HORRORSHØW

I'm trying to make my way to the Pthumeru Chalice Depth 5. Because I want those blood gems. But right now I'm struggling my way through the Defiled Cursed Pthumeru. Which is doable, but that damn Watch Dog is kicking my ass.

Am I going the right way, or can I get the proper Chalice through another route?

you need to beat all of the defiled to get the great pthumeru ihyll (root) chalice.

i think the defiled amygdala drops it. it's easier now than it was before the old hunter bell; you have AI distractions, at least.

the watchdog fight glitched on my most recent playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3h9yb1_bloodborne-watchdog-glitch_videogames

myco666

Started a new character and now accessing the DLC at level 15. I am going to get destroyed aren't I?

edit. Also since when did you start to get 4 insight per boss fight?

laxu

I think we've missed it or haven't looked hard enough, but is there an actual explanation as to why the Altar of Despair reverses time? I also find it weird it only applies to Queenly Flesh[/spoiler] - I mean, what's the criteria for something being able to be used on the altar?

Well the queen is descendant of the Pthumerians afaik so carries the old blood, hence the altar probably works on old blood.

Top Bottom