• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

If things go really rotten I might have to elicit the help of some fine hunters here. Never really like doing that for bosses, especially for the story or fixed chalice dungeons first time through. For as much of a pain in the ass the game gets the best highs come from earning that "Prey Slaughtered" all by yourself. How do you guys feel about co-op help in general? You feel like it's too much of an easy mode/cop-out or a mechanic that you shouldn't feel ashamed for using at any time?

I want to always solo everything first time through. After that I start summoning like crazy and start helping all the time. It is really great mechanic and I really like doing coop except when the host does clearly stupid stuff but that is rare. Also I don't think anyone should feel ashamed for using coop to get through areas since it is mechanic put there by the developers and it is meant for you to use. If you just stay back and don't do anything during bossfights etc then you should be ashamed since coop isn't there for others to beat a thing for you but to help you.

boswell22

Not sure if this has been answered else where but I am looking to get Bloodborne. Is it worth picking up the GOTY edition over the standard edition? I can probably get the standard for £20ish and the GOTY for £35ish

CHC

Not sure if this has been answered else where but I am looking to get Bloodborne. Is it worth picking up the GOTY edition over the standard edition? I can probably get the standard for £20ish and the GOTY for £35ish

Only get the regular one if you're not sure whether or not you'll like the game. If you played other Souls games and enjoy them get the full package - the DLC is great and probably won't be on sale for a while.

I'm working on a HMS build and I'm looking to hit 80 with it in NG. I'll have to spread out a lot of points between Str, Arc, and Skl which leaves less for Vit and End than I'd normally have. That said, would you guys rather have a 30/30 Vit/End split or 35/25? I'm leaning towards the latter.

myco666

I'm working on a HMS build and I'm looking to hit 80 with it in NG. I'll have to spread out a lot of points between Str, Arc, and Skl which leaves less for Vit and End than I'd normally have. That said, would you guys rather have a 30/30 Vit/End split or 35/25? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I usually stop at 30/20 with Vit/End. Considering how the HMS scales I would recommend to stop at that too.

cheesekao

Why 80 though? The low end of the pvp meta is 98.

As for your question, I think stopping at 20 end with 35% stamina runes is the best choice.

I usually stop at 30/20 with Vit/End. Considering how the HMS scales I would recommend to stop at that too.
20 seems pretty low but I might give it a shot. 30 Vit will be brutal for me on the DLC bosses though, haha.

Why 80 though? The low end of the pvp meta is 98.

As for your question, I think stopping at 20 end with 35% stamina runes is the best choice.
I don't care about PvP, just thinking about running the DLC again and possibly NG+. 80 is a reasonable level to hit playing through the entire main game and some of the DLC.

Down went
Orphan of Kos. Last boss left is Laurence. His second phase is rough.

After that I need to collect all of the weapons. Are there any I can't get because of where I'm at story wise?

Ferr986

I would go 35/25, although I think a level 80 cap is simply too low for a HMS build.

I have 25 END (with Chalice stamina rune) and I barely do 5 swings with the transformed sword (4 if I use a gem with stamina cost), and 2 L2 or R2 attacks.

I would go 35/25, although I think a level 80 cap is simply too low for a HMS build.

I have 25 END (with Chalice stamina rune) and I barely do 5 swings with the transformed sword (4 if I use a gem with stamina cost), and 2 L2 or R2 attacks.
I'm not going to stop at 80, it's just kind of where I expect to be by the time I get the HMS.

myco666

20 seems pretty low but I might give it a shot. 30 Vit will be brutal for me on the DLC bosses though, haha.

20 End is low for sure but to be honest you can't get that many hits before having to dodge so as long as you are careful with stamina usage it should be enough and you can always get stamina up with runes. I thought 30 Vit was decent for DLC on NG. Nothing can't kill in one hit or one combo.

Ferr986

I'm not going to stop at 80, it's just kind of where I expect to be by the time I get the HMS.

Ah, allright, then yeah I'll go 35/25.

20 End is low for sure but to be honest you can't get that many hits before having to dodge so as long as you are careful with stamina usage it should be enough and you can always get stamina up with runes. I thought 30 Vit was decent for DLC on NG. Nothing can't kill in one hit or one combo.

I agree, with fast weapons 20 with 1 rune is more than enough. Only the heaviest one would require a little more. I usually try to get enough stamina to do or 5 swings at mst. No point on more because you're not going to be able to slash against a boss that many hits solo, and rolls/quicksteps takes almost no stamina.

Nameless

I want to always solo everything first time through. After that I start summoning like crazy and start helping all the time. It is really great mechanic and I really like doing coop except when the host does clearly stupid stuff but that is rare. Also I don't think anyone should feel ashamed for using coop to get through areas since it is mechanic put there by the developers and it is meant for you to use. If you just stay back and don't do anything during bossfights etc then you should be ashamed since coop isn't there for others to beat a thing for you but to help you.

Not disparaging anyone who uses co-op by any means, but I haven't rung my beckoning bell once. Granted, only Father G, Kos, and Laurence took more than a few tries but part of the fun of Bloodborne for me is not just the furious intensity of its boss fights, but the the sorta 'puzzler' aspect to a lot of them. In any other game my 15th, 16th, 17th shot at a boss would likely have me frustrated to no end, but even amid getting rekkkkkt by Laurence I was still having a blast figuring him out. Finally cracking that cookie, executing my tactics, and taking him down was one of the most exhilarating and satisfying gaming moments I've had in YEARS, but it certainly wouldn't have had the same impact for me with two other hunters hacking away at him.

Again, not co-op shaming, I'll probably delve into that side of the game more with post NG+ runs.

bigmac996

what is a good rakuyo build?

Consider also pumping points into endurance in addition to skill. Some of the moves can take a heavy toll on stamina.

I've got a skill build and use the rakuyo now and then. It's my secondary to the Beasthunter's Saif, probably the most underrated weapon in the game.

SkylineRKR

Man,
Queen Yharnam
is kicking my butt! Got her down to 1/4 but then she got me...

I love that fight. Its different from the rest and reminiscent of Fool's Idol.

For the final phase I mostly stood quite a bit away, out of AoE range. Running in when I felt it was safe to do so, and deliver 2 slashes. I think a good way is V attack runes, as the melee is incredibly easy to parry (just stay outside of range a bit, to not get bound).

WeTeHa

Yes, killed Yharnam! Now I've finally completed everything in the main game on my own and got my Platinum trophy.

Let's see if I can do the DLC on my own as well :p Judging from some of the replies here... it will be hard.

Novocaine

Started a new character to mess around with an arcane focussed build. 20str/25 arcane so far. I want to try HMS and Kos parasite. Just cleared out the forbidden woods, so far using Tonitrus and LHB with a fire blood gemstone.

Picked up the Augur of Ebrietas and wow, thing is a game changer. Kind of insane damage for what it is, plus it triggers visceral attacks on parry and BS? Yep fuck guns!

what is a good rakuyo build?

Skill at least to 45-50, focus on Vit and Stamina first

Is OoK still parriable in its second phase? Either the timing is way harder or I shouldn't bother.

I heard you can when he still does his heavy attack and when it jump high you can go behind him.

Depends how much you like Souls games, I recommend you to get the Goty edition anyway

SkylineRKR

Yes, killed Yharnam! Now I've finally completed everything in the main game on my own and got my Platinum trophy.

Let's see if I can do the DLC on my own as well :p Judging from some of the replies here... it will be hard.

I beat the first boss on NG+, and he was hard but easier than defiled and the first 2 Ihyll bosses.

RiggyRob

Realised I skipped a few fights since I edited them after the Rom video, so I'm catching up now - episode 15, Pimmsy vs Yurie, the Last Scholar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h0ntZIMqOc

I find she's quite a tough hunter to fight at this stage - Iosefka is slightly harder because of the enclosed room whereas the bottom floor of the college has enough space to dodge around more.

What's the reason for Yurie being here again? She's not an apprentice of Master Willem as one blocks the entrance to the Forbidden Woods (and is dead), and the other drops the Graveguard set (and is also dead).

She must be a member of the Choir like Iosefka was. Was she trying to find Master Willem himself?

I beat the first boss on NG+, and he was hard but easier than defiled and the first 2 Ihyll bosses.

Definitely agree with this. Did the DLC on NG+ also, and I thought the normal mobs were about the same difficulty as the mobs in the base game and the only two bosses I thought were harder were L
udwig
and O
rphan of Kos
. L
aurence
is only medium difficulty if you know his patterns and fight him solo, and the other bosses were pushovers.

dosh

Down went
Orphan of Kos. Last boss left is Laurence. His second phase is rough.

After that I need to collect all of the weapons. Are there any I can't get because of where I'm at story wise?
They're all available. One specific weapon could prove a bit harder to get now that you've killed all the bosses and can't summon anyone anymore though. Good luck with the
Well of Death

So decided to play with others today and the rape horse decides to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWBVLxZPzQ SPOILERS TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE RAPE HORSE
dead2.gif

And I mean that literally.

myco666

If you killed Amelia at level 15 you probably have a better shot at it than most (than me, at least :D) but I can't imagine it being a walk in the park. :)

Amelia was surprisingly easy at lvl15 with +2 Saw Cleaver. Luckily she didn't even use healing.

edit. Oh boy +9 weapon before SoY. This is gonna be fun.

Drencrom

Holy shit at (boss) O
rphan of Kos

That
slimy
fucker is crazy agile and its
second transformation
just straight up murders my ass.

Any tips to git gud?

So decided to play with others today and the rape horse decides to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWBVLxZPzQ SPOILERS TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE RAPE HORSE

Maybe the IA noticed how close the host was with someone , The IA will try always to focus the Host in coop thats why you never as a helper get close to the host at all and the host never try to get behing or run towards the helper

Holy shit at (boss) O
rphan of Kos

That
slimy
second transformation

Any tips to git gud?

He can be parried

myco666

Oh God, the well of death is real.

Have fun with that. Use Shaman Bone if you have too much trouble.

Yeah. I've never seen him do any variation of his opening move, and I died a lot against him.so strange.

Just tried him couple of times again on low levels and yeah the first few seconds go always the same. Dodge under lunge attack, hit him couple of times and then he moves around the fog door.

Holy shit at (boss) O
rphan of Kos

That
slimy
second transformation

Any tips to git gud?

Staying close to him makes him miss attacks. Also you can get backstab when he transforms if you time it right and from the lightning attack. Timing on those is pretty strict though.

Dartastic

I'm level 99 or so and I'm in NG+. Just started it. Any tips for NG+ and how to structure my build moving forward? The only stat I remember is my strength, which is around 37... I was using the weapon that is that katana that transitions to the super big sword. Not super helpful, I know.

d00d3n

Help me with this, gaf.

I was mercilessly bullied by L
iving
F
ailures
for at least ten attempts on NG+ (level 108). I finally won the battle with a great deal of luck by going really slow for the first part, and rushing the second part with fire paper to escape RNG death from the meteors.

Directly after my win I continue exploring and get into a second boss battle just minutes after the one I just fought. To my surprise, I riposte M
aria
to death as if it was nothing. I never win bosses on my first attempt (except the fake boss in Hemwick I guess), but this one was easy prey.

Did I just get really lucky with my ripostes or is M
aria
a really simple boss? The only thing I am quite sure of is that I am not very good at the game ...

dreamfall

I guess for most people, they're playing the DLC on NG+? Is there a recommended level to start it? I saved right before any of the ending phases for the regular game, wondering if I should just venture into NG+ now, or just reload and finish the DLC on the old save. I think I'm level 85 now? I want to properly start NG+ a bit leveled up, but I swear this go around I spent more money on Blood vials than anything else (a couple levels were spent!)

taybul

Help me with this, gaf.

I was mercilessly bullied by L
iving
F
ailures
for at least ten attempts on NG+ (level 108). I finally won the battle with a great deal of luck by going really slow for the first part, and rushing the second part with fire paper to escape RNG death from the meteors.

Directly after my win I continue exploring and get into a second boss battle just minutes after the one I just fought. To my surprise, I riposte M
aria
to death as if it was nothing. I never win bosses on my first attempt (except the fake boss in Hemwick I guess), but this one was easy prey.

Did I just get really lucky with my ripostes or is M
aria
a really simple boss? The only thing I am quite sure of is that I am not very good at the game ...
Meh,
Maria
wasn't quite a pushover but also not that difficult. Don't worry though, the remaining boss
es
you have yet to fight will put you in your place :)

Ferr986

I guess for most people, they're playing the DLC on NG+? Is there a recommended level to start it? I saved right before any of the ending phases for the regular game, wondering if I should just venture into NG+ now, or just reload and finish the DLC on the old save. I think I'm level 85 now? I want to properly start NG+ a bit leveled up, but I swear this go around I spent more money on Blood vials than anything else (a couple levels were spent!)

Level 85 may be a little rough for the DLC. I would say atleast reach 100. That, or atleast get lots of VIT (almost 50) and good Depth 5 Chalice gems.
I think the PS blog recommended 110 for NG+ DLC.

d00d3n

Meh,
Maria
wasn't quite a pushover but not that difficult. Don't worry though, the remaining bosses you have yet to fight will put you in your place :)

Haha, looking forward to it. Already met some seriously scary shark tank dudes, so if that is the ordinary enemies from now on, I guess the bosses will be tough.

dreamfall

Level 85 may be a little rough for the DLC. I would say atleast reach 100. That, or atleast get lots of VIT (almost 50) and good Depth 5 Chalice gems.
I think the PS blog recommended 110 for NG+ DLC.

Ah, alright then! Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll just venture into it now/try to level up on NG. I enjoy the challenge of getting through areas always, but even after having finished every Souls Game at the NG+ level, I think I'll try it out where I'm at and go from there!

Top Bottom