• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Kieli

I despise human enemies that exhibit hyper-armor.

The ones that use the cleaver that extends like a whip occasionally have this swinging-attack where they rotate super-fast to keep up with you (while you're strafe-dodging) and can't be knocked out of their attack animation even with a heavy Ludwig swing.

They need to play by the same rules.

RiggyRob

Well the queen is descendant of the Pthumerians afaik so carries the old blood, hence the altar probably works on old blood.

So then anyone else who has the old blood could be revived, right?

If Alfred and Arianna are related to Cainhurst Castle, they could potentially have old blood too right, unless it's a Vileblood/immortal specific thing.

Even more interesting, Gehrman has old blood too right? Hence him giving you a transfusion at the start of the game and the hunters in the
Hunter's Nightmare shouting "OLD BLOOD!"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Grimløck;188589464 said:
you need to beat all of the defiled to get the great pthumeru ihyll (root) chalice.
Beating the defiled chalice gives you the standard Ihyll chalice, not the root one.

i think the defiled amygdala drops it. it's easier now than it was before the old hunter bell; you have AI distractions, at least.
I don't know about that. Not sure how AI distractions help with Amy, really, since her attacks all have tremendous range, and they just serve to buff her health.

Started a new character and now accessing the DLC at level 15. I am going to get destroyed aren't I?
Youarealreadydead.gif

edit. Also since when did you start to get 4 insight per boss fight?
Isn't it 1 for discovering the boss, and 3 for beating it?

Even more interesting, Gehrman has old blood too right? Hence him giving you a transfusion at the start of the game and the hunters in the
Hunter's Nightmare shouting "OLD BLOOD!"
That's not Gehrman at the start...

I'm starting to get seriously fed up now, pretty much being punished for playing DLC at NG+++, and most that are summoned get completely hammered! Fuck
Orphan of Kos

RiggyRob

That's not Gehrman at the start...

Oh - well you as the player have old blood from someone then, if not Gehrman, although Gehrman is the First Hunter so it'd make sense for him to have old blood too.

Here's hoping the old guy at the start will get explained in Bloodborne 2 then!

Playing it at NG+ is rough enough. I can't even imagine that shit.

No a lot I can do now, so close to ending this shit and having a 5 month break till DS3, the bosses are just so consuming with plenty of 1 hit kills, hours and hours of grind to beat a boss.....namely Ludwig and this idiot, oh and the 2 twats in the well lol....

Doomsayer

I'm starting to get seriously fed up now, pretty much being punished for playing DLC at NG+++, and most that are summoned get completely hammered! Fuck
Orphan of Kos

I know the feeling man, I actually beat L
aurence
because OoK was being a fucking clown.

I still haven't beaten him. I got him down to |--------| health and he did his jump attack, and I rolled INTO IT and was killed shortly after. FUCK this boss.

Fbh

Started this.

So far it's awesome. Loving the new environments, weapons and enemies.
Just beat the first boss and it was pretty damn hard. Really agressive, lots of damage and he could take quite a beating.
Still, he has become one of my favorite bosses in the game. At first I was dissapointed as he just seemed like yet another big four legged beast. But one you get to 50% hp and the music starts to really kick in it's just amazing.

I'm wondering. Is it worth it to upgrade the sword you get after the fight if I haven't invested a lot of points in arcane?. I just really like how it looks

Ferr986

Started this.

So far it's awesome. Loving the new environments, weapons and enemies.
Just beat the first boss and it was pretty damn hard. Really agressive, lots of damage and he could take quite a beating.
Still, he has become one of my favorite bosses in the game. At first I was dissapointed as he just seemed like yet another big four legged beast. But one you get to 50% hp and the music starts to really kick in it's just amazing.

I'm wondering. Is it worth it to upgrade the sword you get after the fight if I haven't invested a lot of points in arcane?. I just really like how it looks

Without arcane is just a worse Ludwig sword.

Where on the PS4 do I actually do this? Ive never messed with save files, and it's all just worked automatically for me.
To upload a particular save file.
Settings --> Application Saved Data Management --> Saved Data In System Storage -->Upload to Online Storage --> Bloodborne select and upload.

Then to turn off the auto upload
Settings --> Application Saved Data Management --> Auto-Upload --> unclick Bloodborne.

To Redownload a save file from online cloud.
Settings --> Application Saved Data Management --> Saved Data in Online Storage --> Download to System Storage --> Bloodborne select download and yes.

Really enjoying the DLC content, amazing graphics and atmosphere (as usual) and wow that first boss
Ludwig the Accursed
....he has been one of the harder ones for me along with Blood Starved Beast and Amelia and I managed to take him down easily with a summoned NPC but I felt really dirty after doing that so reloaded my usb save and started the dlc again, after giving up beating him on the weekend I came back a couple of days ago and destroyed him without even getting hit (funnily this exact thing also happened with Blood Starved Beast and Amelia lol). I love how sick and twisted that boss was....such incredible sound and character design.

Anyways I really don't want the DLC to end so I stopped after that first boss and am going about getting the Platinum Trophy before I get back to it. Not sure why I never had the desire to get platinum when this came out because I do this with all souls games but i've definately got the bug now. I just need to finish the final chalice dungeons and I will have it, managed to beat the defiled dungeon last night and contrary to what most people are saying I found this to be really easy, infact it seemed like less of an effort compared to the other chalice dungeons because of it's extremely short length. The reduced health bar has been offset with reduced damage so it almost seems like a non issue. All the bosses basically use fire and if you equip the Bone Ash armour set most of their attacks seem inconsequential, the only time you get hurt bad is when you get caught in a flurry of attacks or when they do one of their huge 1-hit style moves.

Anyways going for the final chalice boss tonight and will have my platinum then. I really hope Dark Souls 3 comes out soon because after this DLC there won't be any games left for me to play. Basically the Souls games have ruined gaming for me because of how awesome they are, I don't blame From though, I blame other devs for being shit.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
The big guys in the
fishing hamlet
are horrible. Hate fighting them.

You mean the 12 foot guys that slide at you from like 5000 feet away, flailing there arms about hitting you 5000 times, then having almost no down time ready to do it over again.

Yup I hate them too :)

WeTeHa

Man,
Queen Yharnam
is kicking my butt! Got her down to 1/4 but then she got me...

Haha, I'm not quite there yet.

I went through all 3 Hintertomb chalices, the Loran depth 4 and 5 and Isz depth 5 today and then tried the defiled chalice. (I think Loran depth 4/5 have been the hardest. those damn bell-ringing women and their spiders).
Most of the defiled chalice was actually easier than I expected, as long as you go slow, lure some enemies out and avoid fighting big groups at the same time. Apart from the occasional 1-hit kill by one of the fatties, I barely died.

First boss, no problem. Parried like 8 or 9 times, killed on first try.
Second boss, took me like 5 or 6 tries to figure out a good strategy. Once you have all the moves down, it's pretty easy to avoid.
But man, defiled Amygdala is kicking my ass. 8 tries so far, I think thats the most tries for any boss yet. My best run was until she had about 20% health left, but then I got 1-shotted. And I even had 16 vials left :(
Though I'm not quite ready to give up and ask for help.

Edit: Okay, now I'm jealous. :p Congratulations!

Finalow

got tired of pvp but it's surprising to see how many people don't use or have no idea what Lead Elixir is. that item is still OP, not as broken as 7 months ago when it also reduced damage to nothing but still.

also got bored at how using 2h weapons really sucks in comparison to having a gun, with a gun you can easily avoid (and parry to finish the opponent) their running away and spamming vials. just pressing L1 to transform and shoot is enough time for them to dash away and eat 2 vials.

p3n

got tired of pvp but it's surprising to see how many people don't use or have no idea what Lead Elixir is. that item is still OP, not as broken as 7 months ago when it also reduced damage to nothing but still.

also got bored at how using 2h weapons really sucks in comparison to having a gun, with a gun you can easily avoid (and parry to finish the opponent) their running away and spamming vials. just pressing L1 to transform and shoot is enough time for them to dash away and eat 2 vials.

Is there even an active pvp scene in Bloodborne? I've been invaded more often since the DLC dropped (even in chalices, which is nice) but the people invading are still as bad as ever and only serve as a small blood echo boost.

Is there a dedicated PVP area like Oolacile Township or the forest in Dark Souls 1 or the Iron Keep bridge in Dark Souls 2? I boot up DkS1 from time to time and these areas are still packed with active players, which is incredible for a game that came out 4 years ago.

Finalow

Is there even an active pvp scene in Bloodborne? I've been invaded more often since the DLC dropped (even in chalices, which is nice) but the people invading are still as bad as ever and only serve as a small blood echo boost.

Is there a dedicated PVP area like Oolacile Township or the forest in Dark Souls 1 or the Iron Keep bridge in Dark Souls 2? I boot up DkS1 from time to time and these areas are still packed with active players, which is incredible for a game that came out 4 years ago.
the pvp in BB has numerous issues and I'm afraid the majority of the people that want to enjoy some ''souls games pvp'' just go back to DkS 1 or 2.

some sort of ''dedicated areas'' are the Mergo's Loft zones and Nightmare Frontier (because both have a Maiden by default, if you kill her she's gone for good though) but when I tried to go back there it didn't feel very active, probably because of this new DLC.

you can invade often in the first DLC area but that's only because people keep summoning for the optional boss :p, so it's usually a co-op gank vs you, invader.

cheesekao

the pvp in BB has numerous issues and I'm afraid the majority of the people that want to enjoy some ''souls games pvp'' just go back to DkS 1 or 2.

some sort of ''dedicated areas'' are the Mergo's Loft zones and Nightmare Frontier (because both have a Maiden by default, if you kill her she's gone for good though) but when I tried to go back there it didn't feel very active, probably because of this new DLC.

you can invade often in the first DLC area but that's only because people keep summoning for the optional boss :p, so it's usually a co-op gank vs you, invader.
There is a dedicated PVP chalice dungeon for 1v1 duels though. Lots of people go there. Not sure how active it is right now with the release of the dlc.

Theres a whole lot of PVP in Bloodborne. Its just people want to carry over their "rules" from Dark Souls into this game where that doesnt work.

In this game everyone can heal, and fast. So its smart to be on alert at all times for it. If youre aggressive and learn how to parry heals consistently its no problem at all. Also Pro-tip: If your weapon is 2-handed while transformed and you need to get of a quick heal-parry just toggle weapons. The animation is faster than transforming and gives more than enough time to punish the heal if you see it coming.

Imo BB is the most intense PVP out of all of the games because knowing when to heal and try to get the parry is very important. That and weapons do crazy damage so getting hit 3-4 times equals death, which means your dodge game needs to be on point.

Ive been invading the DLC areas and getting 2/3v1s and those are always the most fun because it forces you as the invader to get good at parrying/dodging or being smart with your environment. I love it. Not as tactical as Dark Souls 1 or methodical as Dark Souls 2 but much more reactionary and intense which I personally love.

p3n

Imo BB is the most intense PVP out of all of the games because knowing when to heal and try to get the parry is very important. That and weapons do crazy damage so getting hit 3-4 times equals death, which means your dodge game needs to be on point.

Ive been invading the DLC areas and getting 2/3v1s and those are always the most fun because it forces you as the invader to get good at parrying/dodging or being smart with your environment. I love it. Not as tactical as Dark Souls 1 or methodical as Dark Souls 2 but much more reactionary and intense which I personally love.

Time to dust off that old sinister bell then. I love me some 3v1 action.

Nameless

About a third of my 200 hours have been spent in PvP. It's fantastic. In a weird way it scratches that long ignored Bushido Blade itch with free roaming, open environment, technical weapons based combat featuring fights that can last many minutes or just a couple of seconds.

Like others have said you can typically find regular matches in Nightmare Frontier and Mergo's Loft. There was also a pretty active PvP Chalice(code: hizzngr3) but I haven't tried it since the DLC. So yeah, it isn't super massive but there is a scene. Serious BB PvPers usually adhere to two unspoken rules: always greet your opponent and never spam vials. In the aforementioned 'PvP areas' most people won't heal at all unless their opponent does first. Of course if you're invading randoms at bosses all honorable bets are off.

Yesss! I beat
Laurence
:D The second part of that theme is amazing. And that officially completes the DLC :( I loved it and I think it's my favorite dlc ever.

Now helping others beat him as well.

p3n

About a third of my 200 hours have been spent in PvP. It's fantastic. In a weird way it scratches that long ignored Bushido Blade itch with free roaming, open environment, technical weapons based combat featuring fights that can last many minutes or just a couple of seconds.

Like others have said you can typically find regular matches in Nightmare Frontier and Mergo's Loft. There was also a pretty active PvP Chalice(code: hizzngr3) but I haven't tried it since the DLC. So yeah, it isn't super massive but there is a scene. Serious BB PvPers usually adhere to two unspoken rules: always greet your opponent and never spam vials. In the aforementioned 'PvP areas' most people won't heal at all unless their opponent does first. Of course if you're invading randoms at bosses all honorable bets are off.

When the game was fresh, the nightmares always only worked when I first entered them. I would get invaded in the first 1-3 minutes, kill the invader and wait for the next. Only the next never came. I was waiting for upwards of half an hour clearing everything out of boredom before reloading the area and repeating the cycle. It was then when I thought PVP in Bloodborne would never become a main part of the game as it did for Dark Souls.

I think I had less than 200 PVP encounters in my time with the game. What I experienced was really great, fast paced and intense. Compared to the 500h+ of methodical and strategical Dark Souls PVP combat it just felt like the opportunities to engage/invade/be invaded were severely limited.

I like how I get invaded in R/F/C sinister root chalices in almost every layer since the DLC came out. Should've been like that from the start...

I don't know what it is about the first boss
Ludwig
but I just cannot get his attack pattern down. Haven't even witnessed his second form. He's such an (awesome looking) mess of a design that I can't grasp his tells yet, and I haven't figured out when's best to lock on/off again. Not even sure if I'm just underleveled/powered in general to take him on though.

Absolutely loving the shit out of the
Whirligig
though. The L2 Hold is so satisfying with some enemies/bosses. Debating whether to go all out and start putting blood chunks into it.

I don't know what it is about the first boss
Ludwig
but I just cannot get his attack pattern down. Haven't even witnessed his second form. He's such an (awesome looking) mess of a design that I can't grasp his tells yet, and I haven't figured out when's best to lock on/off again. Not even sure if I'm just underleveled/powered in general to take him on though.

Absolutely loving the shit out of the
Whirligig
though. The L2 Hold is so satisfying with some enemies/bosses. Debating whether to go all out and start putting blood chunks into it.
Have you tried have a few goes at just watching his patterns and not even attacking? I sometimes do this if I'm having problems with a boss.

His first phase is quite easy to get down when you know what you're looking at. I try to stay in front of him a lot at mid-distance, his flailing and kicking is his work attack imo and you won't get caught by it if you don't stay too close. His charge is like Watchdog or Ebriatas, it has a tell and the best way to dodge is lock off to the left/right.

He has a four hit combo that's good for getting damage in, the last two swipes are a quick combo you can dash through and get in a couple of hits to his back/side. I also had good results from using the pistol, it seemed to easily interupt a few of his attacks (like the jizz spit) which I didn't expect on a boss his size.

Have you tried have a few goes at just watching his patterns and not even attacking? I sometimes do this if I'm having problems with a boss.

His first phase is quite easy to get down when you know what you're looking at. I try to stay in front of him a lot at mid-distance, his flailing and kicking is his work attack imo and you won't get caught by it if you don't stay too close. His charge is like Watchdog or Ebriatas, it has a tell and the best way to dodge is lock off to the left/right.

He has a four hit combo that's good for getting damage in, the last two swipes are a quick combo you can dash through and get in a couple of hits to his back/side. I also had good results from using the pistol, it seemed to easily interupt a few of his attacks (like the jizz spit) which I didn't expect on a boss his size.

Hmm, haven't even thought about the pistol. Think I tried the blunderbuss only a few time before deciding "There's no way this thing can be riposted" and the Gatling Gun for funsies, then stuck to just melee shortly thereafter. Will definitely take that and the other advice on board, ty. The only other move though that's been griefing me me is his massive leap into the air, that's definitely thrown me off a couple of times. Haven't figured out at all what direction to move when he does that. Think I'll also take a break for today and then focus on him exclusively tomorrow, since I've been mixing attempts with him and chalice dungeons/grinding.

If things go really rotten I might have to elicit the help of some fine hunters here. Never really like doing that for bosses, especially for the story or fixed chalice dungeons first time through. For as much of a pain in the ass the game gets the best highs come from earning that "Prey Slaughtered" all by yourself. How do you guys feel about co-op help in general? You feel like it's too much of an easy mode/cop-out or a mechanic that you shouldn't feel ashamed for using at any time?

How do you guys feel about co-op help in general? You feel like it's too much of an easy mode/cop-out or a mechanic that you shouldn't feel ashamed for using at any time?
It's the easy mode people always complain the game needs. I guess if you don't particularly care about the satisfaction of beating the game by yourself fair and square you should use it but for me personally it feels like a cop-out as bosses can't deal well with multiple targets (unless they're really shit).

Chunky

I despise human enemies that exhibit hyper-armor.

The ones that use the cleaver that extends like a whip occasionally have this swinging-attack where they rotate super-fast to keep up with you (while you're strafe-dodging) and can't be knocked out of their attack animation even with a heavy Leudwig swing.

They need to play by the same rules.

Mate trust me, when you figure out the beast cutter guys properly, you'll wonder how they ever gave you trouble. They must've taken 10 lives off me when I started the dlc, but now I can dodge and parry every one of their attacks, they're a fucking pisstake.
Makes me wish you could re fight bosses, I died like 40 times to horse boss, but the time I beat him I only used 3 vials. That moment where you just zen out and perfectly react to every attack, that seem undodgeable at first, is beautiful.

Dartastic

I haven't played since I beat the game waaaaay back when it came out. I'm playing ng+ now and... Yeah. I really wish there was a way to play the dlcin the normal game. :(

Hmm, haven't even thought about the pistol. Think I tried the blunderbuss only a few time before deciding "There's no way this thing can be riposted" and the Gatling Gun for funsies, then stuck to just melee shortly thereafter. Will definitely take that and the other advice on board, ty. The only other move though that's been griefing me me is his massive leap into the air, that's definitely thrown me off a couple of times. Haven't figured out at all what direction to move when he does that. Think I'll also take a break for today and then focus on him exclusively tomorrow, since I've been mixing attempts with him and chalice dungeons/grinding.

If things go really rotten I might have to elicit the help of some fine hunters here. Never really like doing that for bosses, especially for the story or fixed chalice dungeons first time through. For as much of a pain in the ass the game gets the best highs come from earning that "Prey Slaughtered" all by yourself. How do you guys feel about co-op help in general? You feel like it's too much of an easy mode/cop-out or a mechanic that you shouldn't feel ashamed for using at any time?
The leap still gets me sometimes too. The short immediate one I think you can just walk/roll to avoid you don't really have to do anything, the other one has a visual cue of dropping blood, I tend to count 1...2...3... after he stops screaming and roll on 3. It's imprecise and doesn't always work but if it does you have time to get in a hit on his head.

Finally reached 100% (Killed every boss // All weapons) last night (DLC), and already reached platinum couple months ago.
This surely is one of the hardest games i've ever played.

Co-op in Bloodborne/Souls games is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences in games. There's a camaraderie in getting help from other players who love fighting bosses and are there to kick ass and hew bubble gum. Some fights I like doing myself (like I've never called for help against Father Gasciogne) and some fights are more fun with multiple people (Ornstein & Smough) and some I just refuse to do without help because I don't like the boss fight and just want to get it over with (Ruin Sentinels). I don't ever feel bad co-oping in any scenario because that is what the mechanic is there for.

The one thing I don't ever do is call in NPC hunters/helpers though. (unless it's like Dark Souls 2 and you need to do it to complete a storyline/get a weapon.) I think NPC help isn't as fun as true co-op and you're really just calling in a meat shield at that point.

Top Bottom