• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

You're not supposed to fight Blood Ticks, you're supposed to run past them and call them names the entire time. You can one shot Logarius at Level 200 on a NG and still get rolled by one of those fucking ticks. They're the secret bosses of Bloodborne.

You're not supposed to fight Blood Ticks, you're supposed to run past them and call them names the entire time. You can one shot Logarius at Level 200 on a NG and still get rolled by one of those fucking ticks. They're the secret bosses of Bloodborne.

That moment when you get to the river of blood and see 58 of those fuckers chillin' like they own the outside of the Burger King, but then you man up to fight one and breath a sigh of relieve when they just turn out to be frontin'. Don't play with me like that From.

LOL I have one more boss in the DLC left, I beat the Double Shitbag Sharks in the well and I STILL haven't aggro'd those ticks in the River of Blood. I just run past every time.

RiggyRob

Episode 17, Pimmsy vs. Choir Intelligencer Edgar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-h6oO5Twm8

I found it kinda lame that you have this epic 3v1 fight with the hunters of Yahar'gul before this, you make your way past the Frenzy-causing Brain of Mensis, you beat off the Nightmare Apostles (if you can) and then you have this weaksauce fight against Edgar, who is the last NPC hunter you face in the game.

The only problem he posed was his Rosmarinus was pretty deadly, but then I think that was because Pimmsy was wearing Frenzy-specific stuff which must have really low Arcane defence.

At least with the DLC there's a whole host of other hunters who pose much more of a challenge, Edgar's nowhere near as tough as Yurie or Iosefka.

WeTeHa

Done with Bloodborne, completed the main game and DLC 100% solo. Really enjoyed the game, had a lot of fun.
Some bosse and enemies in the DLC were really tough. Those shark/frog guys are crazy, and the big headed patients do a lot of damage.

I beat both O
rphan of Kos
and L
aurance
without any vials left and only a little bit of health. Both times I just said fuck it and went for it, just went in until either the boss or I died. Both times got out alive :)

I really wish there was another area between L
iving Failures
and M
aria
, because exploring new areas is what I loved most about the game.

NEO0MJ

That moment when you get to the river of blood and see 58 of those fuckers chillin' like they own the outside of the Burger King, but then you man up to fight one and breath a sigh of relieve when they just turn out to be frontin'. Don't play with me like that From.

I didn't know whether to be disappointed or happy with that. Like, why use one of the most horrifying enemies to face in the game and turn them to those slug/squid things in Nightmare Frontier?

Saving to play the dlc over the holidays till I get a new set of headphones so I can play it in all its glory. Been such a struggle not to jump in!

addyb

Can anyone please link me to that Google doc that has the chalice dungeon drops etc.

My phone crashed earlier and I lost it.

Voidwolf

I didn't know whether to be disappointed or happy with that. Like, why use one of the most horrifying enemies to face in the game and turn them to those slug/squid things in Nightmare Frontier?

Happy, definitely happy. Otherwise we'd all probably still be stuck trying to get passed that river.

SoCoRoBo

Hey everyone, just starting a new game so's I can play this and was wondering what's a good area/level to take the DLC on at? Also, does it become inaccessible at any stage like after defeating Rom?

addyb

Hey everyone, just starting a new game so's I can play this and was wondering what's a good area/level to take the DLC on at? Also, does it become inaccessible at any stage like after defeating Rom?

They recommended lvl 65 to access the dlc. It's only accessible after you beat vicar Amelia and no its not locked out at anytime after that.

Lv 70
You need to defeat Vicar Amelia and touch the skull, gently and soflty

NEO0MJ

Man, choosing which weapon to level is really difficult.

Happy, definitely happy. Otherwise we'd all probably still be stuck trying to get passed that river.

Maybe, lol.

They recommended lvl 65 to access the dlc. It's only accessible after you beat vicar Amelia and no its not locked out at anytime after that.

Even if he wasn't high leveled, he can probably still dash around and collect items without engaging enemies.

Is that bloodborne guide worth it on amazon? $20 with the 25% off is probay as cheap as it will get.

I've finished the game but would like to read about all the stuff I've missed before going into the dlc or new game sometime next year.

It's the best strategy guide I've ever read. I loved it so much I bought a second copy.

I have two copies of The Old Hunters guide pre-ordered from Amazon, which should be shipping any day now.

NEO0MJ

The new DLC weapons are really making me miss the Soul Vessel from Dark Souls 2. You feel locked out of so many of them, especially in NG+.

Is there anything that will help farm chunks from the werewolves outside of pumping the arcane stat?

Farming chunks on werewolves probably isn't great anymore.

Farm gems, get chunks (and Insight to buy chunks) in the process, along with Blood Echoes you can use to level up or buy other things. (Unless you have no Chalice progress, then I guess you're stuck with crummy wolves.)

gogosox82

It's the best strategy guide I've ever read. I loved it so much I bought a second copy.

I have two copies of The Old Hunters guide pre-ordered from Amazon, which should be shipping any day now.

Agreed. Thing is like a damn encyclopedia. I just like looking at all the art designs rather than looking for any information since I beat the game before I got the guide. Still an awesome guide though.

RiggyRob

Agreed. Thing is like a damn encyclopedia. I just like looking at all the art designs rather than looking for any information since I beat the game before I got the guide. Still an awesome guide though.

I've found the guide most useful for the Chaluce Dungeons, since it has the layout and boss info, and the NPC quest trees so you know you're not missing anything.

I'm trying to get into Bloodborne, and I just killed the Witch of something. I'm having a hard time remembering locations as most of the game looks similar in terms of aesthetic (iron fencing, gravestones, etc.).

Is there a straightforward Wiki that shows progression clearly, and explains where I should be going? Exploring isn't as fun as Dark Souls/Demon Souls.

So about that Defiled Amygdala. What in the actual fuck?!

If you can master the timing of its jump attack you can cheese the hell out of it by constantly baiting it then getting one to two swings on the head.

Took me like 15 tries until I got it locked into that pattern once the second stage started.

Just remember that you should never move in unless you're baiting an attack or it just attacked since most hits are a one-shot

I'm trying to get into Bloodborne, and I just killed the Witch of something. I'm having a hard time remembering locations as most of the game looks similar in terms of aesthetic (iron fencing, gravestones, etc.).

Is there a straightforward Wiki that shows progression clearly, and explains where I should be going? Exploring isn't as fun as Dark Souls/Demon Souls.
Well most of the game takes place in one town(Yharnam) the few areas outside of yharman are very distinctive. Even many areas within Yharnam are pretty distinctive though.

You're talking about the Witch of Hemwick.(actually 2 witches) an optional boss(one of many optional bosses in this game)

RiggyRob

People usually use the Fextralife Bloodborne wiki.

Story progression with no optional paths is as follows:

Father Gascoigne, skull behind Vicar Amelia, Forbidden Woods door blocked by password, Shadow of Yarnham, Rom in Byrgenwerth, The One Reborn in Yahar'gul Village, Micolash in Nightmare of Mensis.

After that you have three possible final bosses -
Mergo's Wet Nurse, Gehrman and/or Moon Presence

Kieli

Anyone else despise finding blood vials as loot from the ground (not enemies)? Every time I see that glow in the distance, I think, "Oh, probably stupid blood vials. Meh"

So boring.

I also hate having to buy weapons.

Why not let them drop from the cool hunter enemies?

Nothing quite beats that dopamine rush of running through a horde of enemies, mashing "x", and getting a Zweihander.

Robot Pants

Anyone else despise finding blood vials as loot from the ground (not enemies)? Every time I see that glow in the distance, I think, "Oh, probably stupid blood vials. Meh"

So boring.

I also hate having to buy weapons.

Why not let them drop from the cool hunter enemies?

Nothing quite beats that dopamine rush of running through a horde of enemies, mashing "x", and getting a Zweihander.

image.php

I honestly wish every damn enemy would drop bloodvials. I spent so many echoes replenishing them during these DLC boss fights. I had to grind the lecture hall for like an hour once. I hate grinding like that.

Verder

i FUCKING HATE
orphan of kos
i always get the damn guy to 80% then BAM some crazy shit. Such a beautiful area to get my ass whipped in ;/

god i love this game

gogosox82

He's not too bad. Yeah, you bascially can't get hit but if you bait him into doing his arm attacks, you can usually hit him in his head which is his weak spot. When he starts jumping in the third phase, if you just move forward a little, he won't touch you because he always jumps the same way and if you time it right you get big damage on his head when he lands.

Here's my video of how I beat him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AxGhwEehQ

Took me two tries. First death was because he lands on me.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Ludwig, Laurence, Maria, Gerhman, even Chalice Amy and others of her ilk... no real problem. If i'm in a hurry maybe i'll summon a buddy or something but i love learning the ropes and taking these fools apart piece by piece...

but these fucking. well. sharks.

lol how is this fucking possible jesus christ secret final boss get - these guys would fuck OoK sideways i'm convinced of it. where is my shark person summon pool, From???

If you can master the timing of its jump attack you can cheese the hell out of it by constantly baiting it then getting one to two swings on the head.

Took me like 15 tries until I got it locked into that pattern once the second stage started.

Just remember that you should never move in unless you're baiting an attack or it just attacked since most hits are a one-shot

He's not too bad. Yeah, you bascially can't get hit but if you bait him into doing his arm attacks, you can usually hit him in his head which is his weak spot. When he starts jumping in the third phase, if you just move forward a little, he won't touch you because he always jumps the same way and if you time it right you get big damage on his head when he lands.

Here's my video of how I beat him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AxGhwEehQ

Took me two tries. First death was because he lands on me.
WELP. I had Amy figured out and was probably a few hits from killing it, then the camera fucked me up and I got double stomped ded. Fuck this.

gogosox82

God you get so many souls from doing Ailing Loran Chalice. Just did the first little side area and I have over 100,000 now.

WELP. I had Amy figured out and was probably a few hits from killing it, then the camera fucked me up and I got double stomped ded. Fuck this.

Camera can be a bitch sometimes. Sometimes you just need to run away so the camera stops fucking with you. Just keep at it. You will get it eventually.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sometimes I use my chin to control the camera while my right hand handles the run and attack buttons.

It works.

Aceofspades

Banned
I hit a major brick wall with kos, I summoned over 20 times, all killed in action. done for tonight.

his second phase is just brutal damn.

zma1013

The easy way to do it is to
get behind its tail and smack its tail, back off, smack its tail, back off, all while staying in position behind it. Whenever it jumps, stand completely still and it won't hurt you, then immediately run back behind and hit its tail. You are virtually completely safe behind its tail. At a certain point when it gets low on health, it will start leaping away from you, so you have to run towards it and immediately get back into position.
Unfortunately, doing it this way takes forever, but its the safe way to do it.

God you get so many souls from doing Ailing Loran Chalice. Just did the first little side area and I have over 100,000 now.

Camera can be a bitch sometimes. Sometimes you just need to run away so the camera stops fucking with you. Just keep at it. You will get it eventually.

get behind its tail and smack its tail the entire time. Whenever it jumps, stand completely still and it won't hurt you, then immediately run back behind and hit its tail. You are virtually completely safe behind its tail. At a certain point when it gets low on health, it will start leaping away from you, so you have to run towards it and immediately get back into position.
FUCKING DID IT YUSS

Is Cainhurst Castle supposed to be played near the end? I just entered it and those bulbous things are kicking my ass. At this point it seems harder than the dlc.

You don't have to fight them. Just run to the door and start killing on the inside.

get behind its tail and smack its tail, back off, smack its tail, back off, all while staying in position behind it. Whenever it jumps, stand completely still and it won't hurt you, then immediately run back behind and hit its tail. You are virtually completely safe behind its tail. At a certain point when it gets low on health, it will start leaping away from you, so you have to run towards it and immediately get back into position.

That's exactly how I did it. It took a long time but, it was by far the easiest way. The funny thing was that I was super excited after beating the lava dog until I ran into Defiled Amygdala.

Ludwig, Laurence, Maria, Gerhman, even Chalice Amy and others of her ilk... no real problem. If i'm in a hurry maybe i'll summon a buddy or something but i love learning the ropes and taking these fools apart piece by piece...

but these fucking. well. sharks.

lol how is this fucking possible jesus christ secret final boss get - these guys would fuck OoK sideways i'm convinced of it. where is my shark person summon pool, From???

From the ledge past the brain drains, use the monocular to zoom in on the first one. Start pelting him with knives, molotovs, etc. Whittle his health down until the second one drops. Use a blue elixir, hop down and hit one with the shaman bone blade. Finish off the one remaining after they go after each other.

LoL, level 65.... Prepare do die.

I got in with level 80 and got my ass kicked and still getting my ass kicked. Normal enemies seem a bit easy at times but the bosses are pretty crazy. I recommend going in with 80. I went right in before going up to Mergo.

Azzanadra

Is it just me or is the Whirligig saw laughably overpowered? Like with 25 STR, the L2 attack is dealing an upwards of 2500 damage on
Laurence
. In general, I can literally L2 any single enemy to death, sometimes even small crowds when they are close to each other. It makes a great secondary weapon to my Moonlight Great sword.

Only, going forward, is it possible to have a build that incorporates both? Right my stats are still in the mid twenties, so I haven't really "declared" a build yet (have not fully invested into one stat build over another) so I can use both comfortably now, but I don't know how much longer that will last.

Top Bottom