• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Ferr986

I really appreciate it man, I already went out to do other stuff, I'll try tomorrow.

I have never used password matching, how does it work?

You just put the password in network menu and ring the bell. The game will match you with someone else that is ringing the bell with that pass. You can even summon people out of your summon range. It caps his/her stats to the regular level summon range.

Is it just me or is the Whirligig saw laughably overpowered? Like with 25 STR, the L2 attack is dealing an upwards of 2500 damage on
Laurence
. In general, I can literally L2 any single enemy to death, sometimes even small crowds when they are close to each other. It makes a great secondary weapon to my Moonlight Great sword.

Only, going forward, is it possible to have a build that incorporates both? Right my stats are still in the mid twenties, so I haven't really "declared" a build yet (have not fully invested into one stat build over another) so I can use both comfortably now, but I don't know how much longer that will last.

Well, of course depending on your level. I use both on my STR/ARC guy but he's 140, so I have both STR and ARC at almost 50. (Moonlight sword requires high ARC to be better than Ludwig sword).

You can also put fire gems on the saw and make it purely ARC damage, it scales pretty well with ARC and will do great against beasts.

Is it just me or is the Whirligig saw laughably overpowered? Like with 25 STR, the L2 attack is dealing an upwards of 2500 damage on
Laurence
. In general, I can literally L2 any single enemy to death, sometimes even small crowds when they are close to each other. It makes a great secondary weapon to my Moonlight Great sword.

Only, going forward, is it possible to have a build that incorporates both? Right my stats are still in the mid twenties, so I haven't really "declared" a build yet (have not fully invested into one stat build over another) so I can use both comfortably now, but I don't know how much longer that will last.
The pizza cutter is pretty OP. Eh not really unless you are insanely high level. MGS scales with arcane I believe while the pizza cutter scales with strength.

Played couple of nights ago till
Orphan of Kos
and hit my head to a brick wall a few times, but after that I was doing quite well and got him down to approx 25% of health. Seems to be another aggressive and difficult boss especially in his second phase. Really loving this area of the game.

Anyone know of any good quest guides for the DLC? I was hoping that ENB is doing a Lets Play like for the main game but apparently he is burnt out on the game and won't be doing one.

I already had a few items/quests that I couldn't get/complete because I probably missed something and it's killing me. I hate that.

Azzanadra

Well, of course depending on your level. I use both on my STR/ARC guy but he's 140, so I have both STR and ARC at almost 50. (Moonlight sword requires high ARC to be better than Ludwig sword).

You can also put fire gems on the saw and make it purely ARC damage, it scales pretty well with ARC and will do great against beasts.

Is Ludwig's really better though? I find that my HMS first form out-damages Ludwig's holy blade 2h form and is one handed, allowing for the use of a gun, not to mention slightly faster. Maybe i'm not recalling correctly, but in the case that Ludwig's is indeed better than the moonlight sword, how badly does Ludwig's out-damage it?

Ferr986

Is Ludwig's really better though? I find that my HMS first form out-damages Ludwig's holy blade 2h form and is one handed, allowing for the use of a gun, not to mention slightly faster.

Well, that's something weird, considering Ludwig have B/B scaling on both STR and SKL while Moonlight is B/C.

I dunno what would be the reason, on my charactwrs the Moonlight only outdamage the Ludwig on 2h form, and thats with ARC too , apart from STR and SKL.

You still gonna need ARC if you want to get the most out of the L2 and R2 beams.

dan2026

I'll tell you what really pisses me off in this game.

Being forced to grind for health packs.

Why the hell they thought that was a good system is beyond me.
Better fucking not be in DS3.

Azzanadra

Well, that's something weird, considering Ludwig have B/B scaling on both STR and SKL while Moonlight is B/C.

I dunno what would be the reason, on my charactwrs the Moonlight only outdamage the Ludwig on 2h form, and thats with ARC too , apart from STR and SKL.

You still gonna need ARC if you want to get the most out of the L2 and R2 beams.

Having said that, how bad is the difference without arcane being too high? Currently its like 21, plan to get it to 25 soon.

d00d3n

I just had a weird glitch when helping someone beat L
udwig
. Just before the transformation cutscene was about to start, the boss died. WTF? Maybe a good thing for my pride considering how many blood vials I used during the first half (or in this case, the full fight), but I don't understand what happened here.

Video

Ferr986

Having said that, how bad is the difference without arcane being too high? Currently its like 21, plan to get it to 25 soon.

On regular R1 damages not much. After 25 the gains you get on R1s from ARC are worthless.

But, the L2 and R2 gets huge gains from ARC, even after 25. The beam that you release with L2 and R2s scales purely on ARC, so if you want them to do good damage you need to raise it.

Mind you, the sword damage on L2 and R2s still scales with STR and SKL, but you can hit an enemy with the sword and the beam, doing huge damage (especially with the two R2 hits).

silva1991

I just had a weird glitch when helping someone beat L
udwig
. Just before the transformation cutscene was about to start, the boss died. WTF? Maybe a good thing for my pride considering how many blood vials I used during the first half (or in this case, the full fight), but I don't understand what happened here.

Video

It's a known glitch at this point. it happened to me yesterday when I helped someone.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just beat Orphan of Kosm after getting beat by it for hours. Feels good. The first phase becomes trivial.

I'll tell you what really pisses me off in this game.

Being forced to grind for health packs.

Why the hell they thought that was a good system is beyond me.
Better fucking not be in DS3.

I definitely prefer the Estus Flask system but I have to say I don't mind grinding for vials that much. Barely takes any time at all.

Curufinwe

Just beat Orphan of Kosm after getting beat by it for hours. Feels good. The first phase becomes trivial.

I definitely prefer the Estus Flask system but I have to say I don't mind grinding for vials that much. Barely takes any time at all.

In NG+ just bought them with my spare change after leveling and ended up with 400+ pretty easily.

Endo Punk

I don't see the problem with blood vials. Just buy them, they're cheap. Now that you can store up to 600 you get plenty of opportunities to fight bosses without grinding, and if you lose all 600 on 1 boss, then you should
git guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

Ferr986

I don't see the problem with blood vials. Just buy them, they're cheap. Now that you can store up to 600 you get plenty of opportunities to fight bosses without grinding, and if you lose all 600 on 1 boss, then you should
git guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

Real talk I lost +300 vials my first time with OoK (it was straight on NG++ though) and I would say +100 the two big L's too.

But yeah, a trip on a Depth 5 chalice grants you enough echoes to buy a shitton of vials. Or use the echoes you gain on coop for that too.

Azzanadra

Regarding bloodvials, I always felt it was more to make the player go through the level again rather than rush it. That was how I perceived that design choice anyways, so I rarely grinded for them. I guess that kind of conflicts with the idea of shortcuts, but what I did was that I always spent excess bloodechoes on vials after leveling or buying something expensive, so I always have a surplus of bloodvials. Do prefer the system in Dark Souls though.

dan2026

I have mixed feelings about Old Kosy Orphan. Still havent beaten the bastard.
Starting to really enjoy fighting his first form, his 2nd form however is an annoying shitshow of area effect moves. Got him down to 10% once. Havent managed that again. Sigh.

tumblr_nte09zuqN31rsy7sno1_400.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat both the game for the first time and the DLC. Not doing the challenge dungeons.

Happy to have beaten some bosses on first try and without looking at videos beforehand, including Maria, Living Failures, Vicar (with npc summon), and Moon Presence.

Overall I think I enjoyed it way more than Dark Souls, but unlike Dark Souls I'm also not too keen on replaying it anytime soon. Favorite area is the Research Lab in the dlc. Just exploring and navigating the traps and enemies was fantastic. Favorite moment had to be either experiencing Old Yharnam for the first time or
that NPC with the bandages on his head. Transforming into a monster. I just suspected something was up with him and BOOM he instantly becomes a huge terror.
And of course the entire castle is 10/10 material, including the exciting boss.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:/ jeez...I think besides the shadows of Yharnam and the optional DLC boss, I usually have beginners luck on these bosses. Just beat the final DLC boss now. Had one helper with me who was decent at dodging and it allowed me to use the bow to pot shot it.

Joined three other peoples' games after and I got comboed, dude got cornered, and dude go splash attacked.

I only have to do the chalices now and while it's part of the game and there are a few bosses only there, I just don't have the same desire to play it vs the regular game. I just kinda wish there was more to this, which leads me to believe they hit the sweet spot for me cause I LOVE this game and I want more.

I'll admit, seeing the previews and my own feelings about Souls (I prefer Demon), I was EXTEMELY hesitant with BB since I hate the torture of beginners and there is a lot of bullshit in Souls. There is some here too but so much more of it is something you can blame on yourself vs you not being psychic.

The weapons, the bosses, the setting, the art design, parrying, vicious attacks for punishment, etc etc. I'll say this has been my personal game of the year (witcher 3 need to play more, finished MGS, finished FO4) as it's the only one I've replayed from scratch 3 times just to try different builds.

A lot of it really does get easier once you know what's coming though I still get killed now and then. For those who think it's too difficult, don't give up and stick with it. Watch the videos on parrying and dodging sideways so the enemy tracking doesn't fuck you up and you'll love this game.

natertots

Going through this thread makes my wonder why in the hell I haven't downloaded the expansion yet. I play Bloodborne all the time still and I fell like I still haven't done everything. I think tomorrow may be reserved for the DLC. Welp, back to Bloodborne.

Finished the dlc and game on a new character going chikake bowblade, bowblade helped a ton on the dlc bosses, but i am a little bummed out that since i went bloodtinge and arcane i wont get to try out some of the other dlc weapons in a serious way

NEO0MJ

BB plays so good though. I don't even think of chalices and replaying old areas as grinding, just another reason for me to experiment with weapons and gems.

Grinding is still a chore though, no matter how much you try to make it seem not bad. If you want to mess around more in areas) enemies/weapons that's great, but not because you were forced to do it like when you're low on supplies.

cheesekao

Grinding is still a chore though, no matter how much you try to make it seem not bad. If you want to mess around more in areas) enemies/weapons that's great, but not because you were forced to do it like when you're low on supplies.
It takes like 10 minutes to get enough echoes to buy 600 vials. I don't see how it's that big of an issue.

Mephala

Grinding is an odd thing in BB. I think I did it a bit early on. But between just practicing a bit on new enemies and using cold blood items for cash to buy supplies I was never really grinding. Except for chunks because I like to play with all the weapons.

It takes like 10 minutes to get enough echoes to buy 600 vials. I don't see how it's that big of an issue.

The point of buying blood vials, considering everything you hit pours blood like there is no tomorrow, oddly enough pigs and giants are the few enemies that actually gives you blood.

Sorry, new to Bloodborne: how do you go about farming vials that fast?

Same here. I'm in NG+ and I gather no where near as fast.

Don't know where the original guy goes but a good spot for farming Blood Echoes for vials is in the Lecture Building. You can bump off those blob guys and get over 10k echoes per visit, the lamp is close by and they also drop Quicksilver Bullets/Sedatives.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just helped a guy with a RFC Isz layer 3 Amy, which is kind of like Defiled Amy but I think with more health. Ouch.

He first helped me past the first two layers and holy shit... the bosses were easy but there was a huge mob at the very beginning of layer 1, with tons of dogs, hook and shotgun guys, a Hemwick witch and her summons, etc. and of course most of them kill you in one or two hits. Craziness. Once we were past that part it wasn't so bad, but yikes, talk about a brutal first room lol.
Is the lecture hall farming spot faster than mergo's loft middle? That spot is really quick with bold hunter marks.
I would guess not, but it's accessible much sooner.

That said I wouldn't really know, never farmed for vials. :p Not bragging, I just know when to spend some echoes to stock up and whatnot.

I think Ludwig used the regular Holy Blade, at least until he found the Moonlight Blade, so he probably used his rifle. My guess is Simon used his blade alone, mostly in its trick mode.

Yeah but I think both the Holy Blade and the Rifle came after Ludwig's time. The Holy Blade in particular might have been fashioned after the Moonlight Sword seeing as how the idea was that it's a blade that got bigger. Do you think he would have used the Loch Shield? He was the closest character we have to a 'Knight' type.

As for Simon... Stick a hunter's torch on him? Lol

Just helped a guy with a RFC Isz layer 3 Amy, which is kind of like Defiled Amy but I think with more health. Ouch.

He first helped me past the first two layers and holy shit... the bosses were easy but there was a huge mob at the very beginning of layer 1, with tons of dogs, hook and shotgun guys, a Hemwick witch and her summons, etc. and of course most of them kill you in one or two hits. Craziness. Once we were past that part it wasn't so bad, but yikes, talk about a brutal first room lol.

If you're farming for gems, you can run through most rooms that don't contain Hunter-type enemies (those SOBs will follow you forever) and just find the lever. The Madmen summoned by the Hemwick-style witches, in particular, don't seem to follow you out of the room they were spawned in most of the time. (Fuck Blood Spiders, though.)

Not sure if Rotted/Fetid influence bosses, as they're primarily dungeon modifiers (more traps, poison, "empowered" red-aura mobs, etc.). Cursed is what causes half health, which is the same as Defiled. I think Cursed Amy is basically the same as Defiled Amy, possibly with higher stats though since she's (as far as I know) the last boss in Root Chalices, rather than a mid-boss.

Amy's a nice Depth 5 boss because she drops Nourishing Abyssals, at any rate. I don't think it actually matters much if she's on Layer 3, 4, or 5 as long as she's the last boss of the dungeon, so if you've got a password where she's on Layer 3 it might be worth doing repeat runs of it until you get the gems you want. (Unless you want the 27.2% gems instead.)

NEO0MJ

Yeah but I think both the Holy Blade and the Rifle came after Ludwig's time.

Nah, its description mentions that it's an old model and it looks very similar to another old firearm, the church cannon.

Don't know where the original guy goes but a good spot for farming Blood Echoes for vials is in the Lecture Building. You can bump off those blob guys and get over 10k echoes per visit, the lamp is close by and they also drop Quicksilver Bullets/Sedatives.

That doesn't net 600 blood vials!

Though I might use it, considering I'm still far from Mergo's loft. I never had to farm before and until OOK I just money on blood stones.

Some of the RFC layer 5 dungeons can be pretty brutal, more than normal. I remember one when had one of the giant bosses around a normal corner, he OHK'ed me.

And some of the NPC hunters tha you can find, oh god.

Bedlam

Question regarding the Simon questline: he doesn't show up at the lighthouse hut and there was no key lying there either. Did I miss something? :(

I have not killied him and met him two times before (near the first lamp and at the elevator when he tells you to kill a certain boss.

HORRORSHØW

Question regarding the Simon questline: he doesn't show up at the lighthouse hut and there was no key lying there either. Did I miss something? :(

I have not killied him and met him two times before (near the first lamp and at the elevator when he tells you to kill a certain boss.
he's kind of hard to spot in the hut. he's laying by the wall near the door you first enter from. if he's not there, then i don't know.

laxu

Same here. I'm in NG+ and I gather no where near as fast.

Best farming places in order from best to least good:
  1. Lecture Building 1st floor
    . Just stock up on Bold hunter's marks and keep clearing the auditorium. In NG+ that's about 100k per round very quickly and the enemies are easy to kill multiple at once when you bait them to the doorway. You should have weapons that take out the enemies in only 1-2 hits. They're weak to bolt.
  2. Mergo's Loft: Middle
    . Just clear all enemies and remember to backstab the first pig. That's around 300k+ per run but biggest risk of dying.
  3. Castle Cainhurst
    . Clear at least the blood ticks and as many of the ghosts and other enemies as you feel is necessary. Nets around 250k.
  4. Witch's Abode
    . Either clear to whole level or just take out the executioners and dogs then make your way to
    Hemwick Charmel Lane lamp
    . The
    Abode
    ->
    Hemwick
    route is about 150k if I remember correctly. This is a good route earlier in the game as most of the enemies don't take that many hits.

As for blood vials, it's better to buy them than try to farm them from levels if you're low.

Mephala

Personally I just use Upper Cathedral Ward. Take the backstab runes and echo runes. You get Shards, Twin Shards and Chunks from werewolves while the brain suckers are about 8k blood per pop and there are 4 easy backstabs which leads to around 30k per run with some upgrade materials on top.

Bedlam

Grimløck;189031385 said:
he's kind of hard to spot in the hut. he's laying by the wall near the door you first enter from. if he's not there, then i don't know.
Thanks. He was there. I'm stupid. ;)

Top Bottom