• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Persona7

Banned
For Mergo's Loft Middle, make sure to backstab the first pig and then lead the next two pigs towards the mob of enemies in the back near the staircase and they will fight each other. Equipping runes that gives you more souls is also a good idea.

Ferr986

Just helped a guy with a RFC Isz layer 3 Amy, which is kind of like Defiled Amy but I think with more health. Ouch.

He first helped me past the first two layers and holy shit... the bosses were easy but there was a huge mob at the very beginning of layer 1, with tons of dogs, hook and shotgun guys, a Hemwick witch and her summons, etc. and of course most of them kill you in one or two hits. Craziness. Once we were past that part it wasn't so bad, but yikes, talk about a brutal first room lol.

I really hate the Witches on Chalice dungeons. Not only her minions kill you in two hits if you're in a cursed one, her summon effect makes the framerate goes to shit.

NEO0MJ

Grimløck;189031385 said:
he's kind of hard to spot in the hut. he's laying by the wall near the door you first enter from. if he's not there, then i don't know.

That's what happened to me. I was going back and forth and I never noticed him.
I laugh now at the idea of him lying at the floor waiting to speak his final words, watching the idiot running around the place.

Best farming places in order from best to least good:

Castle Cainhurst
. Clear at least the blood ticks and as many of the ghosts and other enemies as you feel is necessary. Nets around 250k.

Just finished it yesterday actually and at the end I think I only got 140k or so.

dan2026

I just feel the blood vial system is bad game design.
They got it right first time with the estus flasks, no idea why they changed to this crap.

What is the bare minimum stats to put in to 'properly' use the HMS? Not something too time consuming like 50/50/50 (STR/SKL/ARC)

And at the same time not lock you out of other weapons options.

I'm thinking of leaving out SKL other than the base.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Honestly, I think the easiest farming spot in the game now is the
Research Hall ground floor after you raise the central platform.
Those enemies drop a decent amount of echoes. Plus there are like 15 of them and the whole place is right by the lamp.
However, my results could be skewed because I've only played through there in NG+4.

Ferr986

What is the bare minimum stats to put in to 'properly' use the HMS? Not something too time consuming like 50/50/50 (STR/SKL/ARC)

And at the same time not lock you out of other weapons options.

I'm thinking of leaving out SKL other than the base.

Keep in mind that after 25 STR, you gan more damage leveling up 25 too.

Also, ARC doesn't add much damage on R1 but a lot on the L2 and R2 beams, so level up depending on how much do you use those attacks.

Minimum I would do is 25/25/25 IMO.

Keep in mind that after 25 STR, you gan more damage leveling up 25 too.

Also, ARC doesn't add much damage on R1 but a lot on the L2 and R2 beams, so level up depending on how much do you use those attacks.

Minimum I would do is 25/25/25 IMO.

Hmmm, I thought of that as well, but I'm a bit hesitant pumping into SKL cause I'm planning to using that character to experiment with other STR weapons as well as some ARC stuff, and SKL wouldn't benefit any of those weapons like the hammer for example.

Ferr986

Ringing right now

lol at dying at the very end. Hope you got it!

Hmmm, I thought of that as well, but I'm a bit hesitant pumping into SKL cause I'm planning to using that character to experiment with other STR weapons as well as some ARC stuff, and SKL wouldn't benefit any of those weapons like the hammer for example.

Well you sitll get good gains with STR after 25, Is just that not as much as SKL to 25. Problem with MLS is that it requires a dedicated build around it. It will probably still fare well enough with STR/ARC alone.

Ferr986

Dude, you are awesome! I just think I learned a lot :) Phase 3 always got me - even when i fought carefully, batet her stomps and went for the cheap Hits..:
Thank you!

Been there too. Defiled was a pain for me. This one is a test of patience while solo.

I remember just cheeseing the 3rd phase, baiting her jump attack and attacking. You can pretty much make her only jump, giving you an opportunity to hit her safely.

In coop though it's easier to just stand on her arms and hit her away :)

The expansion bosses are on a whole new level of HARD. The sadists at From really outdid themselves here.
Was the first playthrough with a new character (no NG+) and I had to level up to 139 and switch from a Reiterpallasch to a Chikage so I could finally beat the O
rphan
and L
aurence
. Got the latter on my second try though. Praise Oedon, bloodtinge is life.

I can't imagine how hard NG+(+++++) must be.

Ferr986

The expansion bosses are on a whole new level of HARD. The sadists at From really outdid themselves here.
Was the first playthrough with a new character (no NG+) and I had to level up to 139 and switch from a Reiterpallasch to a Chikage so I could finally beat the O
rphan
and L
aurence
. Got the latter on my second try though. Praise Oedon, bloodtinge is life.

I can't imagine how hard NG+(+++++) must be.

Yeah I still thing a Bloodtinge character with a Chikage is the best for PvE, even more now with the Bow.

Pizza Cutter is almost up there though.

Well you sitll get good gains with STR after 25, Is just that not as much as SKL to 25. Problem with MLS is that it requires a dedicated build around it. It will probably still fare well enough with STR/ARC alone.

Hmmm thanks, I'll keep that in consideration.

Wasn't Demon's basically the same as Bloodborne? (never played Demon's).

You can carry up to 99 of a single healing item type, and you have multiple healing item types.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Demons souls didn't use an estus flask system.
You farmed and stockpiled grass in that game.

Wasn't Demon's basically the same as Bloodborne? (never played Demon's).

Yeah... That was my point. Dark Souls was technically the second game in the souls series, so they didn't "get it right first time".

Just a personal pet peeve of mine, when people forget Demon's souls existed, or pretend that it didn't.

I do prefer the estus system from DS1 though. Not that I ever really struggled for grass/blood vials in any of my playthroughs, but I don't really see how Demon's or Bloodborne benefitted from limited health items. Demon's was especially bad, as you could literally carry around hundreds of items with you. I guess DS1 had humanity, but I used to save that for pvp.

Ferr986

Nope. You could stock as many as you want and there were a lot of variations that could easily be stocked as well.

You can carry up to 99 of a single healing item type, and you have multiple healing item types.

wow, so you could use 99 healing herbs on a fight? yeah that seems overkill.

Yeah... That was my point. Dark Souls was technically the second game in the souls series, so they didn't "get it right first time".

Just a personal pet peeve of mine, when people forget Demon's souls existed, or pretend that it didn't.

I do prefer the estus system from DS1 though. Not that I ever really struggled for grass/blood vials in any of my playthroughs, but I don't really see how Demon's or Bloodborne benefitted from limited health items. Demon's was especially bad, as you could literally carry around hundreds of items with you. I guess DS1 had humanity, but I used to save that for pvp.

yeah sorry, somehow I didn't get your post at first. Guess too much wine on lunch :p

Best farming places in order from best to least good:
  1. Lecture Building 1st floor
    . Just stock up on Bold hunter's marks and keep clearing the auditorium. In NG+ that's about 100k per round very quickly and the enemies are easy to kill multiple at once when you bait them to the doorway. You should have weapons that take out the enemies in only 1-2 hits. They're weak to bolt.
  2. Mergo's Loft: Middle
    . Just clear all enemies and remember to backstab the first pig. That's around 300k+ per run but biggest risk of dying.
  3. Castle Cainhurst
    . Clear at least the blood ticks and as many of the ghosts and other enemies as you feel is necessary. Nets around 250k.
  4. Witch's Abode
    . Either clear to whole level or just take out the executioners and dogs then make your way to
    Hemwick Charmel Lane lamp
    . The
    Abode
    ->
    Hemwick
    route is about 150k if I remember correctly. This is a good route earlier in the game as most of the enemies don't take that many hits.

As for blood vials, it's better to buy them than try to farm them from levels if you're low.
I use Mergo's Loft middle exclusively for farming and once you've done the run a couple of times I'd say chance of dying was negligible. I let the pigs and the big group of SoY kill each other and pick off whoever is left. With all 3 Moon runes equipped I think this has to be the fastest/most profitable farming route?

Ferr986

Btw, a non-issue because lol at stats on equipment, but the M
aria
set is rather awful stats wise. Weird IMO considering it's probably the "main" set of the DLC.

NEO0MJ

aria
set is rather awful stats wise. Weird IMO considering it's probably the "main" set of the DLC.

The boss was pretty weak as well so maybe it was intentional :p

I mean, you hear waaay less people complaining about this boss in comparison to two others.

dan2026

Kos was one more hit away from dying. One more hit!

I feel like throwing up. Why am I punishing myself.

Ugh

Edit : I did it fuck me I did it 0 health packs fuck me

GeeTeeCee

These fucking well sharks... I've died more to either of them than anything else in the dlc so far. All for a weapon I probably won't even use! Also for pride now.

NEO0MJ

These fucking well sharks... I've died more to either of them than anything else in the dlc so far. All for a weapon I probably won't even use! Also for pride now.

They'll need careful playing, that's for sure. The one with the anchor is super dangerous with that range.

Ferr986

The boss was pretty weak as well so maybe it was intentional :p

I mean, you hear waaay less people complaining about this boss in comparison to two others.

Well, I don't think she was that easy tbh, it's just that is really easy to parry.

But yeah something was up on devs mind, the defense is one of the lowest (not counting cosplay costumes).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
aria

Its the price to pay for making a fashionable cool looking female warrior.

Female Cainhurst Knight set is still the aesthetic king (or queen in this case).

Dimmle

Let me just say that it's a place not many people are too fond of and beginners will have a very tough time there.

If you're referring to the place I think you are...

louis-ck-nope.gif

KeRaSh

Been roaming around the R
esearch Hall
for a while farming some levels. Trying to get ARC to an acceptable level for the Moonlight sword. Currently 50 STR, 39 SKL, 22 ARC. Almost lost 250k blood echoes during a run.
I actually can't find the boss in this area.
Do I get a key from the NPC after turning in a second B
rain Fluid
to open the door on the lowest floor? That's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

zma1013

Been roaming around the R
esearch Hall
for a while farming some levels. Trying to get ARC to an acceptable level for the Moonlight sword. Currently 50 STR, 39 SKL, 22 ARC. Almost lost 250k blood echoes during a run.
I actually can't find the boss in this area.
rain Fluid
to open the door on the lowest floor? That's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

Go up, then go up.

Ferr986

Its the price to pay for making a fashionable cool looking female warrior.

Female Cainhurst Knight set is still the aesthetic king (or queen in this case).

For me it's full M
aria
set on females and Charred hunter set with old hunter cap on males :p (yeah, boring choice for some)

Kazaam

I've already activated the device at the very top. Can't get any higher, right?

If you're looking for the boss of that area:
go with the first elevator, exit left in the room with the wheelchair guys. You should have outside a Church Servant, kill him and take the stairs on his right. Those will lead to a big door.

EDIT:
rain Fluid
Also, yes. But it doesn't lead to a boss fight.

RiggyRob

Episode 18. Pimmsy vs. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G58EIpKlXow

This fight was infuriating not only because Micolash refused to run into the rooms where he's supposed to go, but also because he kept spamming A Call Beyond, which is pretty hard to dodge in an enclosed space.

I do like the concept of the fight, it's really unique, just the constant teleporting makes it a little tedious to do.

Shame there wasn't a similar fight to this in the DLC, or another unique style of fight, could've been really interesting in the Hunter's Nightmare.

I can't wait to be done with FO4 so I can get into this.

I just beat amygdala on my original play-through (no + levels). Is this a good point to jump into the expansion before completing the game?

Top Bottom