• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Any way to bring enough ranged weapons, all the molotavs, poison knives, regular knives etc to kill her?

If your build can use arcane attacks, maybe you can hit the boss with those also.

If that seems to work, keep in mind: you can press up on the d-pad to convert health into bullets. If you use up all the blood bullets you can do it again, just keep doing this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think Cursed Amy is basically the same as Defiled Amy, possibly with higher stats though since she's (as far as I know) the last boss in Root Chalices, rather than a mid-boss.
And because Defiled is actually technically depth 4 rather than 5.

I don't know man, that collar is pretty terrible. Kind of breaks the (otherwise great) outfit for me. And lets not even speak about the mini tophat...
Yeah the collar kind of ruins it. The Cainhurst armour looks great though.

neoism

I just feel the blood vial system is bad game design.
They got it right first time with the estus flasks, no idea why they changed to this crap.

its pretty much the same as flasks.. but once your out you dont have anymore.. it literally takes 5 mintues to buy 500-600 again on ng+

dan2026

Any way to bring enough ranged weapons, all the molotavs, poison knives, regular knives etc to kill her?

If your build can use arcane attacks, maybe you can hit the boss with those also.

She seems completely immune to damage.

Going to have to try restarting the whole dungeon.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Having trouble unlocking the DLC. I got the item in the hub area no problem, then went and got grabbed by the amygdyla. Thing is, it always kills me with Frenzy.

I'm level 75 on NG, not sure why it would do that...
Have you faced Amelia and touched the skull on the altar yet?

Edit: Wait, just noticed you're level 75. So prolly have already... Try restarting your ps4 to reestablish the game license.

Oh holy shit. Here's some lore stuff after I went back and looked around for connections and watched someone playing Old Hunters in the background.

So I never fucking noticed but when you step out of the Clocktower and look over the edge of the water before the Fishing Hamlet you can SEE YHARNAM. Or at least the Yharnam in the Hunter's Nightmare which makes that random snail dude who fell before the Whirligig Saw make sense because the Fishing Hamlet is located ABOVE that area. And then you go down to the hamlet and along the coast are the masts of ships and stuff and it was really familiar and then I looked up a video of the Nightmare Frontier and remembered and saw the random masts that you see in the Nightmare Frontier near Amygdala's area! So the Nightmare Frontier may be even higher up than the Fishing Hamlet!

Wild stuff.

Oh holy shit. Here's some lore stuff after I went back and looked around for connections and watched someone playing Old Hunters in the background.

So I never fucking noticed but when you step out of the Clocktower and look over the edge of the water before the Fishing Hamlet you can SEE YHARNAM. Or at least the Yharnam in the Hunter's Nightmare which makes that random snail dude who fell before the Whirligig Saw make sense because the Fishing Hamlet is located ABOVE that area. And then you go down to the hamlet and along the coast are the masts of ships and stuff and it was really familiar and then I looked up a video of the Nightmare Frontier and remembered and saw the random masts that you see in the Nightmare Frontier near Amygdala's area! So the Nightmare Frontier may be even higher up than the Fishing Hamlet!

Wild stuff.

Yup If youre interested in some even more wild stuff go read some of the stuff posted in the Lore thread since the expansion released.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Wild stuff.

Valti mentioned that in one of his videos along with a theory of his that the nightmare is layered, which I think is very interesting. The layeredness would kind of relate back to the chalices, as they are layered aswell, and when you think about it, aren't both places hiding a lot of things away/ bringing you closer to the old ones?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Wild stuff.

VaatiVidya mentioned this in one of his videos. Neat detail.

The Nightmare of Mensis is a different dimension altogether, though, right? Not part of the Nightmare Frontier? That was those Mensis/Choir peoples' own "proprietary" nightmare zone where they must have studied in secrecy. Not sure why Wet Nurse is there, though.

VaatiVidya mentioned this in one of his videos. Neat detail.

The Nightmare of Mensis is a different dimension altogether, though, right? Not part of the Nightmare Frontier? That was those Mensis/Choir peoples' own "proprietary" nightmare zone where they must have studied in secrecy. Not sure why Wet Nurse is there, though.

Actually the Nightmare of Mensis can be seen from Frontier. Its even further above in the mountains.

Wow either I'm rusty or this new area is tough. I've died like 5 times already and I just got down to the blood lake with those damn blood sack enemies which were some of my least favorite in the core game and of course died. Is there a lamp near that spot?

jjonez18

Wow either I'm rusty or this new area is tough. I've died like 5 times already and I just got down to the blood lake with those damn blood sack enemies which were some of my least favorite in the core game and of course died. Is there a lamp near that spot?

Following the bridge there is a shortcut.

Wonderous safe place.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Wild stuff.

Well... the Cosmic Watcher Badge's description did state that the Choir got an epiphany that the Cosmos is actually very near the human's plane of existence, "just right above our heads"

The Sky and The Cosmos Are One indeed.

SO guys! Need an opinion! BEAST HUNTER SAIF VS CHURCH PICK. Can only pick one, which one will you choose?

bigmac996

Well... the Cosmic Watcher Badge's description did state that the Choir got an epiphany that the Cosmos is actually very near the human's plane of existence, "just right above our heads"

The Sky and The Cosmos Are One indeed.

SO guys! Need an opinion! BEAST HUNTER SAIF VS CHURCH PICK. Can only pick one, which one will you choose?

SAIF!

So is all this fake? Or are we travelling back in time and actually killing Ludwig and stuff.

Kinda like Artorias DLC.

It's real, but it's more complicated than just going back in time. It's in a nightmare which is essentially an alternate dimension. All the people in there are dead in your "waking world" but are fully alive and trapped in this nightmare.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So is all this fake? Or are we travelling back in time and actually killing Ludwig and stuff.

Kinda like Artorias DLC.

It's basically a retelling of things already took place but only in reverse, beginning with the end and ending with the first area you begin.

A retelling that every Hunter post death are cursed to wander forever, before the Good Hunter in all of his/her badassery come forward and started killing stuff.

HONESTLY CAN'T DECIDE ;____________;

I will max out and optimize whichever GAF choose the most. I literally just can't decide between these two, hahaha.

Just bought the DLC and now strike 3 tries against
Ludwig
. Hope is slowly leaving me.

Dude, there are those that fought him like, 40 times, hahaha.

Keep on going! :)

Kinda like Artorias DLC.

The relationship between people in the Nightmare and people in the "real" Yharnam is the same as the relationship between Micolash in Yara'ghul and Micolash in Mergo's Loft.

In true Lovecraftian fashion, what that means isn't entirely clear. The only thing that can be definitely said is that things that are dead in "Yharnam" can still be "alive" in the Nightmare.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member

Kinda like Artorias DLC.

It's real, but it's more complicated than just going back in time. It's in a nightmare which is essentially an alternate dimension. All the people in there are dead in your "waking world" but are fully alive and trapped in this nightmare.

The relationship between people in the Nightmare and people in the "real" Yharnam is the same as the relationship between Micolash in Yara'ghul and Micolash in Mergo's Loft.

In true Lovecraftian fashion, what that means isn't entirely clear. The only thing that can be definitely said is that things that are dead in "Yharnam" can still be "alive" in the Nightmare.

Considering the entire game takes place in a dream, i.e. The Hunter's Dream, death and life a completely relative notions.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. So I just realised that my collector's edition copy of Bloodborne (that I've been playing since earlier this year) is Region 2 (EU), and I bought The Old Hunter's off the UK PSN store, as that's my main account.

I've tried everything to make the Eye of a Blood Drunk Hunter show up, but I think I'm screwed... Has anyone else had a similar problem and been able to resolve it by talking to support or something?

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Damn. So I just realised that my collector's edition copy of Bloodborne (that I've been playing since earlier this year) is Region 2 (EU), and I bought The Old Hunter's off the UK PSN store, as that's my main account.

I've tried everything to make the Eye of a Blood Drunk Hunter show up, but I think I'm screwed... Has anyone else had a similar problem and been able to resolve it by talking to support or something?

Pretty sure they're incompatible. I had the JPN version of Dragon Age Inquisition and bought the NA dlc off my main PS store only to find they weren't compatible with each other.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Seriously considering using the beast claws. Has anyone used them?

The weapon with the highest DPS in the game. Simply unmatched.

The bad thing is to maximize it you are required to make your character ugly. Hell no I am subjecting my Huntress to become a were-lady. Hell no. Hahaha.

watdaeff4

Got to
Maria
today.

Got messed up a few times. Will try a few more times before giving into co-op. Only twice made it to
2nd
phase and didn't last long after that

I just reached the first boss. Used about 10 health vials getting it down 10% lol. This is NG++ so maybe that has something to do with it. I dunno but I feel like I'm playing this for the first time again.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure they're incompatible. I had the JPN version of Dragon Age Inquisition and bought the NA dlc off my main PS store only to find they weren't compatible with each other.

Oh dear. Did you manage to sort it out?

I mean, I bought the physical disc at a UK-based retailer, and the Old Hunters using my UK account, so I should have a claim, right?

Fashionborne first and foremost. Always.

The weapon with the highest DPS in the game. Simply unmatched.

The bad thing is to maximize it you are required to make your character ugly. Hell no I am subjecting my Huntress to become a were-lady. Hell no. Hahaha.

I love the Beast Claws for my Irreverent Izzy build. Only wish we could freely switch between Teen wolf and human mode though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fashionborne first and foremost. Always.

Yep. Beast Claw when combined with the appropriate rune and setup is just incredibly damaging, but no way I am making my Huntress ugly, hahaha. Always need my Fashion Borne.

I mean, I bought the physical disc at a UK-based retailer, and the Old Hunters using my UK account, so I should have a claim, right?

Well the most important thing is not where you buy it but the region your game is. A friend of mine experienced the same thing as you, and in his case unfortunately he is required to re-purchase the content--well, it is kinda his (and, sorry to say, your) fault for not checking the region first.

But try contact Sony regardless... who knows, maybe you will be more lucky than him :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone knows where the earliest triangular blood gem is? Just made a new character and I want to try the rifle spear, but its second gem imprint is triangle and I have none so far (I'm really early, got to Old Yharnam and didn't even kill Amelia yet).

Yep. Beast Claw when combined with the appropriate rune and setup is just incredibly damaging, but no way I am making my Huntress ugly, hahaha. Always need my Fashion Borne.

Make a new character (a male one) that fits the theme, then?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

All the same; that rune will make clothing completely disappear from the character, and whatever costume change you make will not be reflected anymore.

That is a big no-no for me, as I find staring at my characters and playing dress-ups with them as a huge part of my Bloodborne experience, believe it or not, hahah.

The deep fashionborne.

I always thought people didn't use the claws because they have poor range, require you to give up a lot of stats to use the proper rune and armor setup, and because the requirement of landing constant hits to maintain the Beasthood bar is impractically dangerous against many bosses. Also, don't you take increased damage when your Beasthood is high?

I mean, it's a cool "style" build (and really makes me wish the +ATK When Life is Low gems weren't ridiculously bad, so we could have a proper RTSR setup in Bloodborne), but there are a lot of reasons people don't do it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The deep fashionborne.

I always thought people didn't use the claws because they have poor range, require you to give up a lot of stats to use the proper rune and armor setup, and because the requirement of landing constant hits to maintain the Beasthood bar is impractically dangerous against many bosses. Also, don't you take increased damage when your Beasthood is high?

I mean, it's a cool "style" build (and really makes me wish the +ATK When Life is Low gems weren't ridiculously bad, so we could have a proper RTSR setup in Bloodborne), but there are a lot of reasons people don't do it.

With beast blood pellet and clothing with high beast hood, the amount of time required to reach the point where your beast meter grants you extra damage is really not that significant, and if you hit the boss immediately again the momentum is usually more than enough to sustain the meter from dropping too fast.

It's not great for all situations yeah, but at the right time in the right moment it can be very, very devastating.

With beast blood pellet and clothing with high beast hood, the amount of time required to reach the point where your beast meter grants you extra damage is really not that significant, and if you hit the boss immediately again the momentum is usually more than enough to sustain the meter from dropping too fast.

It's not great for all situations yeah, but at the right time in the right moment it can be very, very devastating.

I guess if I were to try and put it into words, my thought on it would be this:

If you have to ask whether or not you should use a Beast build, you probably don't know the game well enough to use a Beast build.

It's more something for people who've beaten the game six ways to Sunday and just want a different way to experience it, rather than a practical way for anyone to actually go through the game normally. (That's kind of a given, though, considering you need to beat the DLC and most of the optional bosses and most of the Chalice content to get the weapon runes, and oath you need to even try the build to begin with.)

Maybe not quite a "handicap" build, but probably the closest Bloodborne has to one, emergent gameplay (SL4 runs, etc.) aside.

Arjen

Anyone knows where the earliest triangular blood gem is? Just made a new character and I want to try the rifle spear, but its second gem imprint is triangle and I have none so far (I'm really early, got to Old Yharnam and didn't even kill Amelia yet).

I think you get triangles in Hemwick.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's more something for people who've beaten the game six ways to Sunday and just want a different way to experience it, rather than a practical way for anyone to actually go through the game normally. (That's kind of a given, though, considering you need to beat the DLC and most of the optional bosses and most of the Chalice content to get the weapon runes, and oath you need to even try the build to begin with.)

Maybe not quite a "handicap" build, but probably the closest Bloodborne has to one, emergent gameplay (SL4 runs, etc.) aside.

Ehhhh you don't need to beat the DLC, you only need to beat a certain boss to get the Beast Embrace Rune and the key to trigger the fight can be gotten halfway--not even halfway maybe--through the DLC.

But yeah, you are correct in saying that Beast Claw is an "expert" class weapon to be sure.

YeSp

Neo Member

Rocking the Church Pick at the moment..It has a great and fast move set. Much better then the Saif IMO.
Saif is really only good for pvp due to its lunge attack

xglaurungx88

Neo Member

Nah, I'll basically have to repurchase one or the other. Seeing as the JPN version ended up being partly censored, I'm fine with that. I'll just pick up the NA version next time I'm in the states for cheap. Been out long enough the price should have dropped.

But yeah, gotta pay attention to regional licenses on games and DLC. PS4 is nice for its region-free gaming, but not everything in fact is.

I think you get triangles in Hemwick.

Yeah, Hemwick Charnel Lane is the earliest they become available. You can occasionally get them from the grave hags. (I usually have luck with the one in front of the broken bridge to Cainhurst.)

Impulsor

I wanna know impressions on Rakuyo. I'm maining Whirligig saw, my absolute favourite weapon in the game right now, was thinking on compelmenting it with a faster weapon, is it a good idea to look at the rakuyo, simon's bow blade and so on?

myco666

I wanna know impressions on Rakuyo. I'm maining Whirligig saw, my absolute favourite weapon in the game right now, was thinking on compelmenting it with a faster weapon, is it a good idea to look at the rakuyo, simon's bow blade and so on?

Unless you are going 50/50 with Str/Skill you shouldn't even consider using both Rakuyo and Whirligig Saw. Bowblade is also out of question since it needs high BT and high Skill to be worth it. If you want faster weapon with Str you could use stuff like Kirkhammer since the longsword moveset is pretty fast.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
completly out of the loop of bloodborne.

Quick questions:

- How dioes the league work? I mean the co-op. Say i wanna play with my friend. Are these special areas in the game for coop? What is the difference to the existing way to play together?

- what is the playtime for the old hunters? ive heard arround 8 hours?

myco666

completly out of the loop of bloodborne.

Quick questions:

- How dioes the league work? I mean the co-op. Say i wanna play with my friend. Are these special areas in the game for coop? What is the difference to the existing way to play together?

- what is the playtime for the old hunters? ive heard arround 8 hours?

League is just coop leaderboards. If you equip the League oath rune you will get 1 Vermin for helping a host to kill any boss. Then you crush the Vermin and your rank goes up in the leaderboards. Nothing more to it. Coop works the same as it worked before.

Bare minimium length is 3-4 hours as in you don't die at all and don't get stuck but still check pretty much everything. I would say 6-10 hours is what you would get on average. But the playtime is highly depended on your personal skill, stats, weapon upgrades and gems.

Top Bottom