• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Impulsor

Unless you are going 50/50 with Str/Skill you shouldn't even consider using both Rakuyo and Whirligig Saw. Bowblade is also out of question since it needs high BT and high Skill to be worth it. If you want faster weapon with Str you could use stuff like Kirkhammer since the longsword moveset is pretty fast.

I'm level 327. My lowest stat is 50. So no worries.

myco666

I'm level 327. My lowest stat is 50. So no worries.

Oh if thats the case then sure go for Rakuyo haha. I personally would go with Church Pick over Rakuyo. I like it way more. Also Bowblade is really versatile weapon so you might want to use that. Only problem I have with it is that it makes some boss fights really boring since you can just shoot arrows from safe distance and watch the health just melt away.

Impulsor

Oh if thats the case then sure go for Rakuyo haha. I personally would go with Church Pick over Rakuyo. I like it way more. Also Bowblade is really versatile weapon so you might want to use that. Only problem I have with it is that it makes some boss fights really boring since you can just shoot arrows from safe distance and watch the health just melt away.

My charge bolts tke away 600-700 damage. What am I doing wrong with the bow ?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I wonder which is more powerful, fully upgraded Repeating Pistol vs. fully upgraded Bowblade. Bowblade has the distinct advantage of possible physical upgrade gems slots (since it affects bloodtinge/ranged damage too--case in point: Reiterpallasch) and I guess it can be crazy powerful if you slot all 20%-ish upgrade gems in it but Repeating Pistol has Bone Marrow Ash... hmmmmm.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
League is just coop leaderboards. If you equip the League oath rune you will get 1 Vermin for helping a host to kill any boss. Then you crush the Vermin and your rank goes up in the leaderboards. Nothing more to it. Coop works the same as it worked before.

Bare minimium length is 3-4 hours as in you don't die at all and don't get stuck but still check pretty much everything. I would say 6-10 hours is what you would get on average. But the playtime is highly depended on your personal skill, stats, weapon upgrades and gems.

ok thank you.
coop is a bummer. I would love to play this game entirely with a friend, just for the fun of it, after a regular playthrough.

myco666

My charge bolts tke away 600-700 damage. What am I doing wrong with the bow ?

Nothing wrong. Thats about what I get out of it also. I use only physical gems since I need that blade form to do damage also.

I wonder which is more powerful, fully upgraded Repeating Pistol vs. fully upgraded Bowblade. Bowblade has the distinct advantage of possible physical upgrade gems slots (since it affects bloodtinge/ranged damage too--case in point: Reiterpallasch) and I guess it can be crazy powerful if you slot all 20%-ish upgrade gems in it but Repeating Pistol has Bone Marrow Ash... hmmmmm.

Haven't tried RP so can't really say but atleast Evelyn +9 with BMA did 1100 on Ebrietas while Bowblade +10 charged shot did 1300 on Ebrietas. Biggest advantage Bowblade has over guns is that you don't have to worry if you miss your shot as you don't need BMA. Also you can get out 20+ charged shots in a boss fight which clearly out damages Evelyn or RP since you only get 10 BMA shots per try. Charged shots have to be timed better though since it takes more time than just shooting and it depletes stamina fast.

edit.

ok thank you.
coop is a bummer. I would love to play this game entirely with a friend, just for the fun of it, after a regular playthrough.

Well you can do that but you need to beat every area twice with your friend.

Jabba

Banned
Cuddle with her :3

No idea ever heard of this before.

I know wearing a church attire and answering yes allows you to get the sword. Either way, a few smacks with your trick weapon will do the trick ;)

Thank you for this. I put on white church outfit and got the sword.

Ethelwulf

Gaf one question,
I recently started playing with my Bloodtinge build again and I'm enjoying the new content quite a lot.
Can't wait to get my hands on the bowsword
. Although I've read many times that going above 50 in bloodtinge is useless, I can see that I'm allowed to do so. Should I spend my points there or should I better focus on endurance and vitality?
Thank you!

Gaf one question,
I recently started playing with my Bloodtinge build again and I'm enjoying the new content quite a lot.
. Although I've read many times that going above 50 in bloodtinge is useless, I can see that I'm allowed to do so. Should I spend my points there or should I better focus on endurance and vitality?
Thank you!

Your points are much better spent increasing your vitality or endurance at this point. Going above 50 provides only an incredibly small boost in damage from attack related skills.

myco666

Gaf one question,
Thank you!

If you are going for the Bowblade you should also get your Skill to 50 as it has S scaling on it and the blade form doesn't scale with Bloodtinge. And going over 50 in any stat is pointless and waste of echoes unless you have already at 50 on everything. End has cap at 40 though so keep that in mind.

Ethelwulf

Your points are much better spent increasing your vitality or endurance at this point. Going above 50 provides only an incredibly small boost in damage from attack related skills.

Thank you will keep that in mind.

If you are going for the Bowblade you should also get your Skill to 50 as it has S scaling on it and the blade form doesn't scale with Bloodtinge. And going over 50 in any stat is pointless and waste of echoes unless you have already at 50 on everything. End has cap at 40 though so keep that in mind.

Didn't know the bow blade had such a big skill-based scaling, thanks.

NEO0MJ

So with 30 strength, 37 dex-err skill, and 31 Arcane is worth going for the Amygdala Arm or is it too late?

The weapon with the highest DPS in the game. Simply unmatched.

The bad thing is to maximize it you are required to make your character ugly. Hell no I am subjecting my Huntress to become a were-lady. Hell no. Hahaha.

I think hair looks good on a lady but whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Draft

Question, slight quest line spoiler for the second area.

Where is the third
brain fluid?

Also, just general commentary
the threaded cane hunter is tough as nails!

I want to piggyback on his question.

I'm nearing 50 Bloodtinge, and when I hit it, all my stats will be 50 (except Endurance at 40). I'm not going to just stop spending my echoes just because the increase becomes very small, so after 50, what becomes the best stat to invest in?

My gut says Vitality.

myco666

Where is the third
brain fluid?

You get the third one from
Adeline. Just hit her grab the brain fluid and give it to her.

edit.
I want to piggyback on his question.

I'm nearing 50 Bloodtinge, and when I hit it, all my stats will be 50 (except Endurance at 40). I'm not going to just stop spending my echoes just because the increase becomes very small, so after 50, what becomes the best stat to invest in?

My gut says Vitality.

Vitality for sure. Endurance after 40 doesn't give you anything worthwhile since that is the hardcap for stamina. Damage stats also go 1 up for two levels. You get 9HP boost per 1 level so it is barely worth it but if you don't have anything else to spend on echoes then Vit is best bet. Also I am not sure how Viscerals scale after hitting 50 at Skill so that might also be beneficial.

NEO0MJ

Where is the third
brain fluid?

Hit her and she'll give it to you. If you noticed with the others they come back to life after taking it from them and she won't care that you hurt her.

Gbraga

Holy shit, guys, Research Hall is incredible.

Great atmosphere, great maze-like level design and some pretty interesting insight into the lore. Loving it.

It's awesome to finally be progressing with the game again after wasting so much time to beat the Bleric Ceast.

Great atmosphere, great maze-like level design and some pretty interesting insight into the lore. Loving it.

It's awesome to finally be progressing with the game again after wasting so much time to beat the Bleric Ceast.

It's an incredible area, deceptively short though. Can't wait for DS3 if this is any indication of From's confidence.

KeRaSh

Where is the third
brain fluid?

Holy shit, yes! That dude gave me such a hard time. Killed me with 200k+ echoes in my wallet. Thankfully I got them back but that fucking weapon...

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Vitality for sure. Endurance after 40 doesn't give you anything worthwhile since that is the hardcap for stamina. Damage stats also go 1 up for two levels. You get 9HP boost per 1 level so it is barely worth it but if you don't have anything else to spend on echoes then Vit is best bet. Also I am not sure how Viscerals scale after hitting 50 at Skill so that might also be beneficial.

Viscerals definitely continue to scale past the hardcap. That NG+7 naked run Lobos did with Orphan was done with 99 Skill (and 99 Strength). That along with the visceral damage rune, he killed him bare-fisted with like 6 viscerals attacks.

Draft

Fought him without blood vials. (  ̄︶ ̄)
Cheesed him without blood vials.
During one of my attempts he fell off the platform. I got 30k echoes a moment later and assumed that he died. The poison pool on the ground floor had a new item in it: but it was just sedative or blue elixer.

Anyway I went to check on his location after going to the Hunter's Dream and he was still alive. Does he drop anything good?

myco666

Viscerals definitely continue to scale past the hardcap. That NG+7 naked run Lobos did with Orphan was done with 99 Skill (and 99 Strength). That along with the visceral damage rune, he killed him bare-fisted with like 6 viscerals attacks.

I guess it is worth getting Skill up then once other stats are at 50.

Tools also scale good with Arcane till 70 if Im not mistaken.

Really? I thought Arcane was capped at 50 and that you shouldn't level it past that. I even remember that you shouldn't really get it past 40.

Gbraga

It's an incredible area, deceptively short though. Can't wait for DS3 if this is any indication of From's confidence.

Shame to know it's short, but it goes so high and the enemies are so tough (at least on NG+3), that I'm getting a lot of playtime from it, so I'm ok with it, I guess.

Still didn't reach the boss or even
turned the lever
, I'm just having too much fun uncovering their secrets.

What is very disappointing to me so far is that
absolutely no one reacts to me looking like a beast or a... uh... cauliflower? They went through the trouble of recording different dialogue and quest lines if you're wearing Church garb, but everyone ignores something this major.

The gameplay aspects of these runes is incredible, but I can't help but feel disappointed about them overall because of how much of a "gameplay element" they feel, instead of part of that world. Like, they only added it because people wanted to turn into beasts, not because that's the story they wanted to tell.

spliced

What the heck, I ran into a wandering nightmare that re-spawns but doesn't drop anything, I wonder if that's a glitch or intended. I can't believe they still haven't fixed the glitch with the gems from the last area not showing up in the inventory, I wonder how they missed that one.

Anyway I've finally finished my second playthrough so it's time for me to start checking to see what I missed, it's nice to finally not have to worry about spoilers.

Gbraga

What the heck, I ran into a wandering nightmare that re-spawns but doesn't drop anything, I wonder if that's a glitch or intended. I can't believe they still haven't fixed the glitch with the gems from the last area not showing up in the inventory, I wonder how they missed that one.

Anyway I've finally finished my second playthrough so it's time for me to start checking to see what I missed, it's nice to finally not have to worry about spoilers.

That always happened to me with every one of them, since the vanilla game. If it's a glitch, then my game has always been glitched.

Explains a lot, given I'm in nighttime with only one boss left to end the game.

myco666

Shame to know it's short, but it goes so high and the enemies are so tough (at least on NG+3), that I'm getting a lot of playtime from it, so I'm ok with it, I guess.

Still didn't reach the boss or even
turned the lever
, I'm just having too much fun uncovering their secrets.

What is very disappointing to me so far is that
absolutely no one reacts to me looking like a beast or a... uh... cauliflower? They went through the trouble of recording different dialogue and quest lines if you're wearing Church garb, but everyone ignores something this major.

The gameplay aspects of these runes is incredible, but I can't help but feel disappointed about them overall because of how much of a "gameplay element" they feel, instead of part of that world. Like, they only added it because people wanted to turn into beasts, not because that's the story they wanted to tell.

If you have
turned the lever
you have done what is needed to progress and the next boss is really easy to find.

Yeah that is pretty disappointing that no one really reacts to it but it still is pretty cool thing. Don't really think it was added because people wanted it though since it was mentioned in the base game leak so it was probably planned from the beginning but for some reason they had to cut it.

edit.
Well, I did read on different forums that the softcap for tools is 70, and also this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tmcuxmi_Ibh-rLSwO_7AFedTUbruJhpHD2o9LxAYOI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

never tried it myself though.

Wow it looks like you could go for 99 and still get 'decent' damage boost from investing in Arcane. Benefits lower alot after 50 though like with everything else.

myco666

Nope. I was surprised as well when he came back to life, considering how strong he was.

Also, bumping my question.

Well Amy arm is basically a Strength weapon so 50 Str would be best for it. If you are not going for that high Str I would go for a different weapon.

Yeah, it's definitely my favorite DLC area and one of the best of the main game as well. I love how maze-like they made it, but instead of a sprawling horizontal stage, it's a relatively small vertical structure.

NEO0MJ

Well Amy arm is basically a Strength weapon so 50 Str would be best for it. If you are not going for that high Str I would go for a different weapon.

Thing is for me that it's the most interesting looking new weapon
though I have yet to get OOK's weapon.
The Rakuyo was kinda disappointing for me. I mostly raised strength as high as it is now to make better use of the Burial Blade as I thought the cap was around 40 before but seeing this new weapon makes me reconsider where I'll invest more. To add to my dilemma I grinded for around 1 million blood echoes to raise my level and now I have no idea where to go.

My favorite area of the DLC as well. I just loved taking in that creepy and disturbing atmosphere. Really loving this DLC overall and it's quite difficult at parts. Played last night till Laurence and I've feeling I'll be stuck here for a while.

RiggyRob

NIGHTMARE SLAIN - Episode 19, Pimmsy vs. Mergo's Wet Nurse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesJt8AmLGQ

For a Great One, Mergo's Wet Nurse is kinda lame fight-wise even though her design is superb. Also, Pimmsy's fight went exactly the same way as mine in that she never used her doppelganger attack at all - when I heard people having trouble I was like 'Really? She's not that hard', as shown by Pimmsy getting her on her first try.

I wish there were more Great Ones in the game/DLC, nothing cooler to me than killing supposedly immortal/higher beings. There needs to be more Eldritch horror/Lovecraftian horror games dammit (but not survival horror, I despise them).

Super Rifle Spear Lunge go!

myco666

Thing is for me that it's the most interesting looking new weapon
though I have yet to get OOK's weapon.
The Rakuyo was kinda disappointing for me. I mostly raised strength as high as it is now to make better use of the Burial Blade as I thought the cap was around 40 before but seeing this new weapon makes me reconsider where I'll invest more. To add to my dilemma I grinded for around 1 million blood echoes to raise my level and now I have no idea where to go.

It is really great looking weapon for sure. Just get some more points to Str and you should be good. Or do you want to stay in certain lvl range?

PewDiePie is finally palying The Old Hunters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUrtxiCyVU

I hate how that face cam takes away big chunk of the game screen. Can't see how much damage he is doing etc.

Top Bottom