• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

SkylineRKR

I bodied Orphan with Visceral attacks on NG+. But Laurence is a dickface. Its just that god damn area + camera. Headless Bloodletting beast all over. But with fire AoE.

DedValve

Banned
Getting a boss down to 10% health only for them to cheap shot you

Fuck my fucking life.

I only get angry at this if its a boss that royally pisses me off like BSB or Vicar Amelia.

The orphan has been doing this to me nonstop but I feel a sense of joy for whittling him down, UNLIKE A CERTAIN ACCURSED.

still gonna co-op orphan.

Honestly the mooks piss me off far more. Those summoned dudes? Fuck them. Fuck them and whoever designed them. They auto block even after an attack. Bullshit.

How do you visceral orphan? The dude never chills. I just often dodge forward which for the most part works. That 1 hit ko bs is bs even if it has a windup time.

SkylineRKR

I only get angry at this if its a boss that royally pisses me off like BSB or Vicar Amelia.

The orphan has been doing this to me nonstop but I feel a sense of joy for whittling him down, UNLIKE A CERTAIN ACCURSED.

still gonna co-op orphan.

Honestly the mooks piss me off far more. Those summoned dudes? Fuck them. Fuck them and whoever designed them. They auto block even after an attack. Bullshit.

How do you visceral orphan? The dude never chills. I just often dodge forward which for the most part works. That 1 hit ko bs is bs even if it has a windup time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t2NNGhoLXM

Even his wind up overhead can be visceraled by shooting twice (if your timing sucks as much as mine there). Though I expected to get hit.

Finally finally finally beat the DLC inc
Laurence
at NG+++ level, this has to be one of/if not the hardest piece of gaming I've ever had the displeasure of undertaking! Gruelling is an understatement......fuck

dan2026

The bosses wouldn't be that bad if you could just straight retry them after you die.

But no, you must sit through a loading screen and run your ass back through the level for the pleasure of trying again.

I know, I know. Its the Souls way. I don't like it though. Feels like its just wasting player time.

Dimmle

The bosses wouldn't be that bad if you could just straight retry them after you die.

But no, you must sit through a loading screen and run your ass back through the level for the pleasure of trying again.

I know, I know. Its the Souls way. I don't like it though. Feels like its just wasting player time.
It's less irritating in the previous Souls games where each failed attempt isn't a loss of resources. That's one of the fundamental problems with Bloodborne, for as much as the game excels in level and encounter design. It punishes failure and discourages experimentation.

dan2026

It's less irritating in the previous Souls games where each failed attempt isn't a loss of resources. That's one of the fundamental problems with Bloodborne, for as much as the game excels in level and encounter design. It punishes failure and discourages experimentation.
Yeah I hate it. Its massively over punishing to the player.

And for what reason? Its just seems like time wasting for tine wasting sake.

Yeah Laurence was the toughest overall for me also, very unforgiving and you have to tread extremely carefully in the second phase. The only boss that took me more attempts was the Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords.

Jombie

Laurence is just shit and a real disappointment compared to Ludwig, Kos, and Maria. Living Failures is saved by the score and environment. Laurence is an unfun retread.

My new favorite weapon is the Moonlight sword. It's going to force to farm the dungeons for Arcane gems.

Tuck

God to Ludwig phase 2 twice, but then got owned. Making progress, which is satisfying but I need to go grind for more health potions now, which is super shitty.

God to Ludwig phase 2 twice, but then got owned. Making progress, which is satisfying but I need to go grind for more health potions now, which is super shitty.

His second phase is the easiest, just pay attention when he is channeling energy for his sword. When the sword discharges he is a easy prey.

I don't know at what level you are, but isn't it easier if you just kill some strong dudes (like the two near the lamp before Ludwig, with viscerals) and buy them instead?

There's also that half-dead guy "punching" the gate near the boss that drops a couple of vials. I don't remember if he respawns or not.

He does.

I don't know at what level you are, but isn't it easier if you just kill some strong dudes (like the two near the lamp before Ludwig, with viscerals) and buy them instead?

There's also that half-dead guy "punching" the gate near the boss that drops a couple of vials. I don't remember if he respawns or not.

dan2026

Yes he does and he always drops 5.

I think they knew.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Bowblade. Bowblade, Bowblade. I thought I was done with the game after finishing off the DLC but I just want to play more. Maybe I'll push the game into NG++ and do a full Bowblade run.

It's crazy to think I almost don't pick up the game at all. I had given up on Dark Souls before (looking back now I was very lost with a very poor build when I gave up) but I was able to platinum Bloodborne even before the first few patches hit. I've gone back and played through Dark Souls 1&2 now. Still have to get to Demon Souls though.

Now all I can think about is beautiful Bowblade.... It calls me. If I start asking for eyes then I'll know there's a real problem.

squidyj

ugh, after playing with beasthunter saif and blade of mercy etc on a skill build, slogging through the dlc with the chikage moveset is such a chore. missing swings while I'm locked on because of that massively vertical slice angle is fucking frustrating, the range is so poor and the moveset doesn't really move you. the stamina per swing is just as disappointing. and on top of all of this I have to wait until I'm deep in the dlc to get a new bloodtinge weapon :(

watdaeff4

Beat
Maria
thanks to two Confederates and Got to the
Fishing Hamlet
today.

The bosses in this DLC do not fuck around. I never had to co-op at all in the main game for any bosses - either main game or Chalice Dungeons, but gave in and had to co-op for the 1st boss and the last one I mentioned.

Maybe I just don't have the patience to keep retrying as much as I did when I first got the game but it seems like they just made these guys with incredible amounts of HP and each have OHK or Killing combos.

It's a good DLC, don't get me wrong and I'm already happy with it. But the difficulty curve is miles above the main game.

(yes, yes, I know 'git gud' and what-not; bear with me, this game is my first "Souls" game)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well the most important thing is not where you buy it but the region your game is. A friend of mine experienced the same thing as you, and in his case unfortunately he is required to re-purchase the content--well, it is kinda his (and, sorry to say, your) fault for not checking the region first.

But try contact Sony regardless... who knows, maybe you will be more lucky than him :)

I checked my physical copy and my CUSA code ends in 08, which is apparently the UK version, so it should be compatible with DLC bought from the UK store.

My point earlier was that, in buying from the UK, one shouldn't need to check what the region is. It should be safe to assume that it's a UK SKU. That's not really on the consumer, don't you think?

Anyway, I'm gonna call them today. Let's see what comes of this...

Nah, I'll basically have to repurchase one or the other. Seeing as the JPN version ended up being partly censored, I'm fine with that. I'll just pick up the NA version next time I'm in the states for cheap. Been out long enough the price should have dropped.

But yeah, gotta pay attention to regional licenses on games and DLC. PS4 is nice for its region-free gaming, but not everything in fact is.

That's a blow... How was the JP version censored, btw?

Basoes

After not playing in a long time, made a new character, and wow I still kept alot of the skills I had from when I last played, one try to beat father gascoigne with no music box or items. This makes me feel pretty confident, and then I know I'll die to BSB and lose all the confidence

ugh, after playing with beasthunter saif and blade of mercy etc on a skill build, slogging through the dlc with the chikage moveset is such a chore. missing swings while I'm locked on because of that massively vertical slice angle is fucking frustrating, the range is so poor and the moveset doesn't really move you. the stamina per swing is just as disappointing. and on top of all of this I have to wait until I'm deep in the dlc to get a new bloodtinge weapon :(
Range? Doesn't the chikage have better than average range? The two handed mode feels like it has the speed of a skill weapon with the range of a bigger, heavier strength weapon.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I'm rather underleveld to be doing cainhurst right now because I started a new character with the intentions of beelining here and using chikage for the rest of the game.

Could anyone help with the boss? I'm terrible btw.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

beasthunter saif sucks up a lot more stamina per swing lol
chikage transformed has great range and shreds everything so idk

I'm rather underleveld to be doing cainhurst right now because I started a new character with the intentions of beelining here and using chikage for the rest of the game.

Could anyone help with the boss? I'm terrible btw.

The cainhurst boss? What's your level? And sure, meet you outside the fog gate. Set the password as GAFHUNT, all cap locks.

spliced

That always happened to me with every one of them, since the vanilla game. If it's a glitch, then my game has always been glitched.

Explains a lot, given I'm in nighttime with only one boss left to end the game.

That's strange.

Nightmare Frontier indeed.

Kazaam

Don't know if this was posted, but I wanted to give a few tips about the well in F
ishing Hamlet with the two Giant Fishman/Sharks.
The Whirligig Saw makes this almost a trivial fight both in NG+++ and NG++++.
I personally started to give these guys a try after beating Orphan on NG+++, so I had the lantern on the coast. For me was always better going to fight them after passing the two Winter Lanterns down in the caves, instead of going down the well, but I guess that's up to anyone's preference of how to get there. The trick is the Whirligig Saw's L2 spam with Bolt Paper just to speed things up a bit. Now the next part is very important. The second giant fishman/shark comes down when the first one is left with around one quarter of its life and it's very important not to have to fight them both at the same time (second one is easier because no anchor) and manage to kill the first one before the second one reaches you. In order to do that you should move the battle with the first one to the opposite side of the cave (opposite side from where the second one is hanging) and if you keep spamming L2 attack you should kill the first one before the second one launches his attack on you. Repeat the same L2 spam attack of Whirligig Saw on the second one and you'll realise what seemed extremely difficult at first now feels almost child's play.
This happened after many tries on NG+++ with different weapons and tactics and after succeeding on the second try with this method in NG+++ and on the first try on NG++++ I can honestly say it feels almost like cheating, how easy it becomes.

EDIT:
The well......how do you do it.
Check what I wrote above if that's the same place you're referencing.

DedValve

Banned
anyone wanna help me take down the orphan? I'll use the gaf code in all caps

EDIT: Whats up with confederates? There are so many random confederate pop ins.

Kazaam

anyone wanna help me take down the orphan? I'll use the gaf code in all caps

In London right now it's 2 in the morning and someone's sleeping in the Playstation room, but if you don't manage to get passed him tonight I would be happy to help tomorrow. Advice that kinda didn't cross my mind the first time... use the sea space. The water is not a limitation and the beach can sometimes be more rough. Also second phase, don't be terrified to get up close and personal with him. You'd be surprised how much you can avoid and how much he can miss you in that frantic attack. Also how much time some of his attacks leave you for a charge attack.

EDIT: Go in the fight thinking his attacks are less scarier than they look. First few times I fought him I thought it's crazy to keep the pace with him... then I discovered I actually had much more freedom than I thought I would. So try not to be intimidated, but also try to be smart about attacking him.

EDIT 2:
Whats up with confederates? There are so many random confederate pop ins.

Check out the hut next to the first lantern in Forbidden Woods.

squidyj

beasthunter saif sucks up a lot more stamina per swing lol
chikage transformed has great range and shreds everything so idk

chikage transformed is a series of "that should have been a hit how was he not close enough?" moments where if I was playing BoM i could have dash stabbed or with saif i would have r1'd in either form and hit my fucking target.

what does chikage actually outrange? and lets not talk about forms of weapons but the best range of either form.
does it outrange the whip? nope
does it outrange ludwigs? nope
does it outrange either of the saw weapons unfolded? nope
does it outrange kirkhammer?
does it outrange BoM? yeah sure but if you think that matters you're using BoM wrong

Tuck

FOUL BEAST!

Ludwig. CONQUERED.

Calling it now, that was probably my favourite boss in the entire Souls series. It was so fucking intense. And I could feel myself getting better and better - I could get through the first form with relative ease after a while.

So, I think I messed up the chalice dungeons and I'm starting over for ritual items. I'm missing three trophies for this game, besides the platinum. All I really have to do is the dungeons.

Kazaam

FOUL BEAST!

Ludwig. CONQUERED.

Calling it now, that as my favourite boss in the entire Souls series.

Congratulations. It really was one of the most fun boss battles I've had (and still is in helping others). Even when helping others still gives the best satisfaction when defeated.

DedValve

Banned
So I defeated Kos and now I've lost all hope at the well ;_;

I did amazing once but those stupid oko charge moves. Gaaaah. And I can't summon!?

I-hate-u

FOUL BEAST!

Ludwig. CONQUERED.

Calling it now, that as my favourite boss in the entire Souls series.

When you think about it, Artorias and Luqwig share many similarities in the lore build up to their fight, but I have to say the latter is my favorite. And I say this despite being a huge Artorias fan.

DedValve

Banned
Why can't you summon? I mean I've never tried it with a summon but I don't see why there should be a restriction. Also read my post above... that "strategy" made the fight so much easier.

Trying that right now. Its better but I still get bodied. Hard.

Tuck

When you think about it, Artorias and Luqwig share many similarities in the lore build up to their fight, but I have to say the latter is my favorite. And I say this despite being a huge Artorias fan.

Never got to fight him :( Foolishly, I didn't buy the Dark Souls DLC before beating the game. Forgot all about it.

Gbraga

Artorias is a much more interesting character, imo, but as far as the fight itself goes, I'll have to agree. Ludwig is definitely top 5 in the series. What an incredible boss.

DedValve

Banned
Aaaahhh I don't have the patience for these well guys.

Fuck, why did the coolest weapon have to be blocked by these guys of all weapons?

Kazaam

Trying that right now. Its better but I still get bodied. Hard.

Avoid first launch and following attacks. Bait him to the opposite side of the cave and find a window and spam L2 with Bolt Paper (hoping you have an +10 upgraded Whirligig Saw and some good runes attached to it). If you start getting hit, retreat and use Blood Vial(s) and look for the next window... you should be able to keep him staggered in the spam for most part.

EDIT:
Never got to fight him :( Foolishly, I didn't buy the Dark Souls DLC before beating the game. Forgot all about it.

If you like Dark Souls is never too late to go back to that (and if you do it's definitely worth it).

Top Bottom