• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Does anyone have any tips or pointers as to what I'm doing wrong? I am currently trying to beat Ludwig but he will literally land a hit on me and it will take 95% of my health just like that. Hell, even these hunters in the level can damn near one shot me while I'm at full health. I just don't get it and I never experienced this in the core game before. I level 137 on NG++ if that makes a difference? I just can't play this game to where one hit on me consumes my entire health bar :/

Does anyone have any tips or pointers as to what I'm doing wrong? I am currently trying to beat Ludwig but he will literally land a hit on me and it will take 95% of my health just like that. Hell, even these hunters in the level can damn near one shot me while I'm at full health. I just don't get it and I never experienced this in the core game before. I level 137 on NG++ if that makes a difference? I just can't play this game to where one hit on me consumes my entire health bar :/

What is your vit at? I killed at him at 175 with 50 vit on ng++ and still took a crap ton of damage if he hit me with his charge.

Also are you using the HP%+ runes and physical reduction armor? I believe Cainhurst is the best for the fight but I might be wrong

Kazaam

137 on NG++ might be too little, but I personally don't know how to compare as I started the DLC on NG+++ with level around 160 to 170. I do think we need more information. Even if you're level 137 we don't know your vitality stat (also there's a rune that can expand that). If you can only get a hit from the first hunters in the DLC before you die I personally think you're underleveled. I used to get at least 2 hits from them before I was in great danger. And there is always the (amazingly) stupid advice of trying not to get hit. Especially the hunters in the beginning of the DLC should be pretty easy to read and avoid any hits
(can't say the same about the 3 giants before the first actual boss... one in the beginning the others right before Ludwig... I hate those things more than the giant enemies you'll meet in the last area of the DLC)

Tuck

What do you do when he jumps?

If he stays up in the air and blood drips down, run. Keep running till he drops back down. The jumps where he comes back up are a lot trickier - you just need to dodge and cross your fingers I suppose.

Granted I played it on NG, so it might be drastically harder for you.

What is your vit at? I killed at him at 175 with 50 vit on ng++ and still took a crap ton of damage if he hit me with his charge.

Also are you using the HP%+ runes and physical reduction armor? I believe Cainhurst is the best for the fight but I might be wrong

137 on NG++ might be too little, but I personally don't know how to compare as I started the DLC on NG+++ with level around 160 to 170. I do think we need more information. Even if you're level 137 we don't know your vitality stat (also there's a rune that can expand that). If you can only get a hit from the first hunters in the DLC before you die I personally think you're underleveled. I used to get at least 2 hits from them before I was in great danger. And there is always the (amazingly) stupid advice of trying not to get hit. Especially the hunters in the beginning of the DLC should be pretty easy to read and avoid any hits
(can't say the same about the 3 giants before the first actual boss... one in the beginning the others right before Ludwig... I hate those things more than the giant enemies you'll meet in the last area of the DLC)

Level 138, vitality 43. 38 end. 40 str. Ok I just equipped both vitality runes hopefully that helps a bit. I'm starting to think I'm under leveled as this is brand new NG++ which I blasted straight to the DLC. Well maybe I'll grind a bit, had to do that a couple times in the core game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Level 138, vitality 43. 38 end. 40 str. Ok I just equipped both vitality runes hopefully that helps a bit. I'm starting to think I'm under leveled as this is brand new NG++ which I blasted straight to the DLC. Well maybe I'll grind a bit, had to do that a couple times in the core game.

Do not expect the game to play fair in NG++ and beyond, because it will not. IMO, the only way to compensate enemies' absurdly increased stats in NG++ and beyond to give a sense of "fairness" is by getting the best gems/runes from Chalice Dungeons.

Even at 50 Vitality enemies can and WILL one shot you regardless. Or at the very least, all you get is just an extra one shot extra before you die, but that extra shot is rare in NG++ and beyond, especially with bosses. NG+ is still quite manageable although the jump in enemies' stats is very noticeable.

FROM has done a rather terrible job of balancing the minutiae of Bloodborne's New Game plus mechanic, in my opinion, especially if you play Bloodborne blind.

DedValve

Banned
FUCK. THE. GOD. DAMN. WELL.

I wish I had known that beating a boss locks out co-op (what the fuuuuuuck) because now a weapon I really am excited for I cannot use at all.

Jesus fuck I must have come so close soooo many times.

EDIT: This is my first rage moment in bloodborne. Haven't had this since Dark Souls.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I wish I had known that beating a boss locks out co-op (what the fuuuuuuck) because now a weapon I really am excited for I cannot use at all.

Jesus fuck I must have come so close soooo many times.

EDIT: This is my first rage moment in bloodborne. Haven't had this since Dark Souls.

There are a couple of tactics that you can use to make it easier.

First, the well (heh) documented Shaman Bone tactic. Or, just head from the back in the Winter Lantern's area and snipe them from there, either with Bone Marrow Ash's powered shots, poison knives (yes they can be poisoned), molotovs, whatever ranged attack you have. You can manually aim the direction of your shots using the Monocular; even if it's not enough to kill them, you can severely weaken them before jumping into the fray.

DedValve

Banned
There are a couple of tactics that you can use to make it easier.

First, the well (heh) documented Shaman Bone tactic. Or, just head from the back in the Winter Lantern's area and snipe them from there, either with Bone Marrow Ash's powered shots, poison knives (yes they can be poisoned), molotovs, whatever ranged attack you have. You can manually aim the direction of your shots using the Monocular; even if it's not enough to kill them, you can severely weaken them before jumping into the fray.

Cheesing it is. Hope I can take out the wintern lanterns. EDIT: noooooope.

Double edit; nope. nah. Not getting that weapon for a while it seems. Moving on. 200 blood vials and almost 300 quicksilver bullets is enough for me to stop trying to get that weapon. I simply can't. My maxed out evelyn with bone marrow ash did pathetic damage and I'm on a bloodtinge build to boot.

Finally get a good Ludwig run going with a random on NG++ and when we get him to half health, going to the cutscene, it just goes black with the music playing. Been sitting here for a solid two minutes. Sucks.

Music is outstanding though.

Tip for the well. When the first enemy you fight does it's dive attack, dodge diagonally forward and right. If you time it right you won't get dragged with it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cheesing it is. Hope I can take out the wintern lanterns. EDIT: noooooope.

Double edit; nope. nah. Not getting that weapon for a while it seems. Moving on. 200 blood vials and almost 300 quicksilver bullets is enough for me to stop trying to get that weapon. I simply can't. My maxed out evelyn with bone marrow ash did pathetic damage and I'm on a bloodtinge build to boot.

Are you playing on NG+ or NG++? I find it hardly believable that maxed out Evelyn with BMA in a Bloodtinge build did paltry damage to the sharks.

DedValve

Banned
Are you playing on NG+ or NG++? I find it hardly believable that maxed out Evelyn with BMA in a Bloodtinge build did paltry damage to the sharks.

35 bt skill with a +10 evelyn, about 250-300 damage which is a single slice of my chikage and I can easily get 2 slices on that.

Also got the bloodletter which is awesome and nearly got me victory but no dice.

I need to store up on vials and bullets again. If I do go back to that and am able to get the other to fall down I'll try the shaman blade. Those things are supposed to be sharks?

Welp. Got every trophy for Old Hunters. Amusingly enough, I found the first two phases of L
aurence
the hardest. I died...3 times? To that first form before I found a decent strategy of baiting certain attacks then Bowblading his head to provoke viscerals. When I reached his final phase I beat it first try, though that's not to say it wasn't frenetic as hell.

I'd probably say that L
udwig
was still the boss that gave me the most trouble. For whatever reason, dude just had my number. Took maybe 10 tries.

I adore this DLC. So much of it, the gameplay, the settings, the bosses, the enemies, the lore, the music was just...mmmph. So good. Bloodborne might me tied as my favorite Souls game with this DLC. It's just such a goddam excellent game.

Edit: I have a cheese strategy for the well if people don't care about that kind of stuff.

Wait, wut?

For someone who is just Getting to that area do u mind clarifying?

If you kill the boss for the area, you are unable to summon players. You can only summon when the area boss is still live in your game. But if you kill the area boss in your game, you can still be summon to help other players.

Since DedValve has killed the area boss, he can not summon players to help him fight
2 giant sharks

squidyj

Alright, finally cleared the DLC on my bloodtinge char. I like the bloodletter even if it isn't the most general beatdown weapon, the first two sweeps are nicely horizontal and have quick followup with pretty good range, using it a little mroe tactically works out well.

Now do I go arcane or str? still ahven't tried whirligig which I hear is strong.

If you kill the boss for the area, you are unable to summon players. You can only summon when the area boss is still live in your game. But if you kill the area boss in your game, you can still be summon to help other players.

Since DedValve has killed the area boss, he can not summon players to help him fight
2 giant sharks

Actually you can still summon people for the next area second lamp and reach the other entrance to the Well.

HORRORSHØW

just made a F/R/C dungeon with enemies who give 92k echoes with 3 moon runes equipped. first room from the lantern. they're the boneash hunters. there are two of them. you can fight them one on one. easy to parry. the other one you can back stab. they also drop rank 6 cursed elemental runes. the other enemies in the room are easily killable.

glyph: jyb8b965 if anyone's interested in easy echoes. happy hunting.
CWPfvZFU4AArqyo.png:large

moonbeam

Has Yoshichan played this yet? He's a big Bloodborne/Souls fan but doesn't seem to have posted in this thread. Was keen to read his thoughts on the DLC.

gogosox82

There is a lesson to be learned here and its something I learned after playing DS2's dlc and trying to fight Fume Knight on ng+3. The dlc are made harder than the base game usually, and the ng+ cycles aren't balanced. So you'll have to fight a Fume Knight who has like 20,000 hp and two shots you if you fight him on ng+3 like I did. So you can either farm up some souls to level up a bit or start over and make a new character. I would personally rather play it in new game than in ng+ ridiculous since the dlc is designed around it being played in ng.

Azzanadra

Just beat the DLC...

Oh man. What a ride, Totally worth the 20 bucks. The last little poem sent shiver down my spine.... oh man, that was beautiful and creepy and the same time. Who says Souls games are all about gameplay? The writing in this game is profound,and I feel like only a small part of the community appreciates the sheer detail and mind-boggling consistency in Souls lore. A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea... I am going to remember that one for a while. Fucking Beautiful.

NEO0MJ

You're not missing much, trust me.

It is really great looking weapon for sure. Just get some more points to Str and you should be good. Or do you want to stay in certain lvl range?

I don't think so. It's too late to build a PVP character right now. Guess I'll boost strength now.

2AdEPT

I had trouble with Ludwig until I stopped getting one shot by the homing missle from the sky attack. Just run straight by pressing cirle and run like hell, dont dodge. I talk through the video here sharing a few tips that helped me finally beat him solo.

LOL in other news I was trying to clean up the chalices and had already hired the schmucks to clean out the dungeon so thougth I would bring them into the Queen boss fight (despite that their attack power is gimped and if I am not mistaken its actully makes the fight harder in some ways.) Well I got my wish for a quick victory but it was owing to a glitch...she just disappered after phase one....I was kinda hoping to solo her for this character...oh well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That last area (
The Fishing Hamlet
) is balls hard. Those goddamn Shark monsters...

The
sunken city
at the start was a nice touch.

gogosox82

God I hate fighting Abhorrent Beast. If he didn't have that aoe on that one attack he wouldn't even be that bad. I think its just nothing but pure luck when I dodge it.

NEO0MJ

I had trouble with Ludwig until I stopped getting one shot by the homing missle from the sky attack. Just run straight by pressing cirle and run like hell, dont dodge.

I handled it by waiting in place and dodging when you hear him scream, signaling that he's about to land from orbit.

Rakuyo is incredible, loving the L2 move and its diverse moveset.

It just felt too disappointing considering
How cool Maria made it look.

AwShucks

So not quite DLC related but just finished Amelia (that the right name?) On my level 300 ng++. Will be starting Old Hunters tomorrow, fingers crossed it's not too hard.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
That's a blow... How was the JP version censored, btw?
Naturally, the sex scenes between the Inquisitor and any love interests :p They got grainy anytime tits were bared. Considering I played a female lead that ended up being all the time...

They also edited out all of the blood spray during battles and cutscenes.

God I hate fighting Abhorrent Beast. If he didn't have that aoe on that one attack he wouldn't even be that bad. I think its just nothing but pure luck when I dodge it.

Abhorrent Beast is my favorite boss in the game. The key is to stay extremely close to him and strafe left under his punches. Whack him a few times and repeat. He tends to avoid the aoe attacks when you are basically his shadow.

SarusGray

I handled it by waiting in place and dodging when you hear him scream, signaling that he's about to land from orbit.

It just felt too disappointing considering
How cool Maria made it look.

pruttyyy sure Maria ditched the rakuyo for a more bloody weapon if you know what I mean if you read the description ;). I love the lore behind it. FOR HONOR.

buffi

Banned
I found the well pretty easy on NG+.

Stay midrange from first monster, walk/dodge backwards until he does the dive attack.
Gun parry (I used blunderbuss) and dash forward + evisceral attack. I had him a like 10% health when the second dude spawned, making it easy to finish the first one off.

The parry window on the dive attack is huuuuge

After evisceral attack, you can charge a R2 attack for when he stands up too

gogosox82

Abhorrent Beast is my favorite boss in the game. The key is to stay extremely close to him and strafe left under his punches. Whack him a few times and repeat. He tends to avoid the aoe attacks when you are basically his shadow.

I always got hit when I dodged to the left so I dodge to the right and I don't get hit. It just that when he jumps back to create space, he'll sometimes does that one handed slam that does an aoe and I get hit by it almost every time and it takes like 3/4 of my health off. I'm sure I'll figure out how to dodge that aoe one day, but man it just feels like I'm getting lucky when I dodge it because I'll dodge same way when he does it again and get hit by it. If I can ever figure out how to dodge that aoe, this boss will never give me trouble again.

Fuck, I don't have PSN. Like, it's a really fun fight, but I'm tired of running out of blood vials.

She's one of the easier bosses to parry
though you will suffer if you mess up the timings.

Personally, I found it a lot easier to stay close to her and try and keep her as near a wall as possible to lower her mobility.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Finally get a good Ludwig run going with a random on NG++ and when we get him to half health, going to the cutscene, it just goes black with the music playing. Been sitting here for a solid two minutes. Sucks.

Music is outstanding though.

The music is outstanding.

I encountered a different glitch the first time round. After the cutscene, his health bar dropped to zero immediately. It's probably worth noting that I summoned Valtr for the fight, so my best guess is that while the cutscene was playing, he was attacking a stationary Ludwig.

PranooY

I beat all the Bosses in Old Hunters and had forgotten to talk to Ludwig's head for the Moonlight Sword. Now im back at the head and am unable to speak to the head. I only need Moonlight Sword to 100% bloodborne. Any help appreciated.
I even equipped White church set, Guidance rune and reloaded the area to try to talk to Ludwig, which was unsuccessful.

Impulsor

I beat all the Bosses in Old Hunters and had forgotten to talk to Ludwig's head for the Moonlight Sword. Now im back at the head and am unable to speak to the head. I only need Moonlight Sword to 100% bloodborne. Any help appreciated.
I equipped White church set, Guidance rune and reloaded the area to try to talk to Ludwig, which was unsuccessful.

If I remember correctly you can just kill it and he will drop the sword.

Top Bottom