• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

For Hunters Essence trophy, do I need all the weapons in my inventory?

I think they can be in storage also but if you have sold some weapons you need to buy them again probably. There is also some glitch that causes the trophy not pop unless you buy the starter weapons again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think they can be in storage also but if you have sold some weapons you need to buy them again probably. There is also some glitch that causes the trophy not pop unless you buy the starter weapons again.

Wait what. First I heard about this. What do you mean by "starter weapons"? Is it Axe, Saw Cleaver, Threaded Cane, Pistol, and Blunderbuss? Or do you actually have to have all non-DLC weapons in addition to the DLC weapons.....?

Edit: oh so sorry, sorry. For some reason I thought this is the trophy for the Old Hunter weapons. No issue with that trophy, right?

myco666

Wait what. First I heard about this. What do you mean by "starter weapons"? Is it Axe, Saw Cleaver, Threaded Cane, Pistol, and Blunderbuss? Or do you actually have to have all non-DLC weapons in addition to the DLC weapons.....?

Edit: oh so sorry, sorry. For some reason I thought this is the trophy for the Old Hunter weapons. No issue with that trophy, right?

No issues with DLC trophy at least that I know of.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Has Yoshichan played this yet? He's a big Bloodborne/Souls fan but doesn't seem to have posted in this thread. Was keen to read his thoughts on the DLC.
Identical to all DLCs for Souls games, I don't support the idea of it. Unless if it was DLC for Demon's Souls, in which I've craved for too many years at this point... I would rather have them spend the money and effort on a sequel or something completely new. That's my take on DLC since the beginning of last generation, pretty much :)

With that being said, I say that I 'don't support the idea', but that doesn't actually mean I haven't bought them. With 'lack of support' from me, I mean that I don't think it's worth spending time talking/hyping DLC on GAF. My order for the Guidebook and most physical editions (JP) are on their way to me as I'm posting this :) Can't wait to add yet more Bloodborne to my collection.
He's presumably off raging on the SC2 forums over Legacy of the Void.
Shallow and unnecessary, but fully reasonable had I even played the game yet :p

Drencrom

Identical to all DLCs for Souls games, I don't support the idea of it. Unless if it was DLC for Demon's Souls, in which I've craved for too many years at this point... I would rather have them spend the money and effort on a sequel or something completely new. That's my take on DLC since the beginning of last generation, pretty much :)

With that being said, I say that I 'don't support the idea', but that doesn't actually mean I haven't bought them. My lack of support comes from not hyping things up too much on GAF, pretty much. My order for the Guidebook and most physical editions (JP) are on their way to me as I'm posting this :) Can't wait to add yet more Bloodborne to my collection.

I really don't understand you reasoning and sentiment here, but I'll respect it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
With that being said, I say that I 'don't support the idea', but that doesn't actually mean I haven't bought them. With 'lack of support' from me, I mean that I don't think it's worth spending time talking/hyping DLC on GAF. My order for the Guidebook and most physical editions (JP) are on their way to me as I'm posting this :) Can't wait to add yet more Bloodborne to my collection.

You said that you don't support the DLC but you have done wayyyy more than the typical Bloodborne gamer whose form of support is most likely just a DLC purchase, hahah.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really don't understand you reasoning and sentiment here, but I'll respect it.
TL:DR with less confusion:

- I don't generally like the idea of man power being spent on DLC
- I don't think it's worth hyping or talking about DLC
- Despite that, it's still cool to play more content of a game that you already own
You said that you don't support the DLC but you have done wayyyy more than the typical Bloodborne gamer whose form of support is most likely just a DLC purchase, hahah.
Yeah :lol The absence of 'support' comes from me not discussing or hyping the stuff up, that's it :p I still buy the games, multiple times to complete my collection and feel good about myself.

Impulsor

By the way, what about the RAlly potential runes from the DLC? What do they do exactly?

Do they Increase the size of the orange bar, the health you can regain from rallying? OR do they increase the time ti takes for the orange bar to dissappear? Or both?

NEO0MJ

By the way, what about the RAlly potential runes from the DLC? What do they do exactly?

My understanding is that it increases the amount of health regained when attacking, though I never tested it. Not sure if I'll even be able to accurately tell the difference.

Shallow and unnecessary, but fully reasonable had I even played the game yet :p

"Shallow and unnecessary" would be one of my back-of-the-box quotes if I was a game.

Yeah :lol The absence of 'support' comes from me not discussing or hyping the stuff up, that's it :p I still buy the games, multiple times to complete my collection and feel good about myself.

It's an interesting distinction, but I don't think it's off-base. As much as people downplay it, I do think that the Internet Hype Man has considerable value.

A good example of the difference for me would be looking at Vaati vs. PlagueOfGripes. They both got very much into Dark Souls and both visibly had an impact on growing the player community and driving interest in the games (and I say this because they both did so further into the retail cycle, when the effects are arguably more visible when compared to [pre-]launch). I know that Plague has bought and played The Old Hunters, but he's still actually producing more Dark Souls content; so even though he's supported the game through purchase, his tacit non-support in terms of content production is probably the equivalent of a few hundred sales of less support.

Obviously, it's hard to really judge how much impact any one person on the internet has in the grand scheme of things, but it's interesting to think about in terms of post-scarcity/"gift" economics and the way attention and recognition potentially become the strange currencies we deal in.

Keep on fighting the good fight, and don't let anyone tell you that only votes with your wallet count.

OneUh8

I did kill him, but i can't find it in my inventory.

There is something you have to do i order to get the weapon.

You need to equip any church outfit. Then go to his head laying on the ground and start the dialogue. You will get it at then end. Select yes to his question. Not sure what happens when you say no.

EDIT: Just saw your earlier post. Looks like you did that already. You might be SOL.

Rush_Khan

So what's the tactic for the secret DLC boss
Laurence, when it starts crawling around in the second phase? I can't seem to get anywhere near it without taking fire damage. My bloodtinge is too low to attack from long range.

RiggyRob

Laurence, when it starts crawling around in the second phase? I can't seem to get anywhere near it without taking fire damage. My bloodtinge is too low to attack from long range.

Wait for him to start spewing out at either end, then sprint and attack his right side. Back out down the hall and let him come to you, rinse and repeat.

Even on NG+4, the fire damage isn't really that bad with Bone Ash set on. Actually being slapped is what's going to kill you, so try to stay inside and to the left (his right) where the fewest attacks can hit you, and just learn to dodge the two that are actually dangerous from that position. (Or even just the one, that ungodly stupid ultra-tracking overhead with a hitbox the size of Central Yharnam. The backhand you can probably tank through.)

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Even on NG+4, the fire damage isn't really that bad with Bone Ash set on. Actually being slapped is what's going to kill you, so try to stay inside and to the left (his right) where the fewest attacks can hit you, and just learn to dodge the two that are actually dangerous from that position. (Or even just the one, that ungodly stupid ultra-tracking overhead with a hitbox the size of Central Yharnam. The backhand you can probably tank through.)
This right here is what's kept me from finishing the dlc thus far. Gotta say, I actually laughed out loud reading that.

Here's the strategy I use for phase 2 (skip to about 2:50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCz4SHJhm4

Single most important thing in phase 2 is
constantly being aware of your positioning, so if he starts crawling at you with the 6 slam attack you have plenty of space to back up without getting cornered. Usually I like to keep him roughly centred in the arena, so you can deal with whatever attack he throws at you. If he spits lava you can circle around to his opposite side and get some damage in, if he starts crawling you can back up and circle around once he's finished the combo, and if it's anything else you can get some damage in.
Hope this helps :)

taybul

For Laurence's second phase, I'm wondering now if you could pop a lead elixir and just stay behind him the whole time. I don't remember his ground fire doing too much damage.

I....think I'm missing something here.

I just bought the DLC after being down on BB for half a year to give it another chance....

...but I can't seem to get PlayStation store to download the DLC.

When I view the DLC's page on the store, there is a "bought"-banner at the same spot where you'd usually find the "Download"-prompt

Edit: Oh, nevermind, I'm dumb. It's already installed. The DLC's content must have been in the last bigass patch.

I just bought the DLC after being down on BB for half a year to give it another chance....

When I view the DLC's page on the store, there is a "bought"-banner at the same spot where you'd usually find the "Download"-prompt.

The DLC itself downloaded with the last patch, so you just bought a 'key' that allows you to access it in the game.

Impulsor

When I view the DLC's page on the store, there is a "bought"-banner at the same spot where you'd usually find the "Download"-prompt

Edit: Oh, nevermind, I'm dumb. It's already installed. The DLC's content must have been in the last bigass patch.

You already have the DLC if you patched the game. The DLC downloaded with one of the patches pre release I think, the big 9 gb patch.

When I view the DLC's page on the store, there is a "bought"-banner at the same spot where you'd usually find the "Download"-prompt.

The data for the DLC was packed into a standard "update" patch for the game, purchasing just unlocks the ability to use it.

Not optimal, but I suppose a lot of the content (weapons, armor, items, etc.) had to be pushed to all clients anyway due to co-op/invasions, so they just decided to dump the whole thing onto all users.

The DLC itself downloaded with the last patch, so you just bought a 'key' that allows you to access it in the game.

You already have the DLC if you patched the game. The DLC downloaded with one of the patches pre release I think, the big 9 gb patch.
The data for the DLC was packed into a standard "update" patch for the game, purchasing just unlocks the ability to use it.

Not optimal, but I suppose a lot of the content (weapons, armor, items, etc.) had to be pushed to all clients anyway due to co-op/invasions, so they just decided to dump the whole thing onto all users.

Just figured it out a second before I read your posts.

Thanks guys !

Just figured it out a second before I read your posts.

Thanks guys !

I had the same question when I first bought it. It just seems super weird not to have it immediately start downloading something. (I don't do a lot of PSN downloads though, mostly Steam, so I don't know. Maybe this is normal for console multiplayer?)

HORRORSHØW

4 million echoes in about 35 minutes

CWSTJlWWoAIIm1B.png:large

neoism

For Hunters Essence trophy, do I need all the weapons in my inventory?

yah watch out though their is a glitch with this trophy if your getting it after the dlc/patch... i got every weapon counted like 5 times but it wouldnt pop...

to pop it rebuy the threaded cane and it should pop up....it did for me...

neoism

Grimløck;189346010 said:
4 million echoes in about 35 minutes

CWSTJlWWoAIIm1B.png:large

are you on ng+? its only gonna be better on higher diffs

if so doing the scholars with all echo runes will net you about 5.9+ mil in one hour or so...
each run is a little over under 1 minutes but sometimes some runs are shit because they get a hit off.. but my worse run is about 1:30....

its about 1 mil per 10 minutes or soo.

what run is is this the 8 cloaked bros in the CD ? also your character looks awesome...

neoism

also guys im still wanting to play this even after platiniuming it but soo does level not matter in pvp at all... i would want to still level and im getting close to 300 would I be able to find matches still??

NEO0MJ

Man, OOK whooped my ass again. I fought him for over half an hour without winning.
His second form gets me every time. The lightning isn't a problem anymore as I can reliably dodge it, but the erratic nature of his attacks confuses me so much. And if I don't have full health any chain attack kills me. There was a time where I was doing so good but he umped in front of me and threw those shots at point blank, taking almost all my health and stunning me, and he killed me while stunned.

How do we avoid the overhead attack after he does those uppercuts? If I get caught y the first one the second one always launches me and no matter how I try to vary my wake up he always tracks me just right right for the overhead to land. Also, how do we land visceral attacks on his second form? I just end up slashing his head. Do I have to get closer than what it appears?

RiggyRob

Episode 20, Pimmsy vs. the optional DLC boss,
Laurence, the First Vicar
: https://youtu.be/JgPs4X5y6As

Goddamn, what a close finish. I was so sure Pinmsy would end up dying right at the end, but she managed to power through. He's basically a
screaming tank of fiery death

Such an infuriating boss fight, I'm glad I didn't have to fight him
yet

Kazaam

Cheesing it is. Hope I can take out the wintern lanterns. EDIT: noooooope.

Double edit; nope. nah. Not getting that weapon for a while it seems. Moving on. 200 blood vials and almost 300 quicksilver bullets is enough for me to stop trying to get that weapon. I simply can't. My maxed out evelyn with bone marrow ash did pathetic damage and I'm on a bloodtinge build to boot.

Here's a link I recorded earlier today with the method I mentioned last night (you can find it a couple of pages back). The most important thing is to kill the first one before the second one gets to you, because... while not impossible to kill them when you're fighting both, it is much more difficult to find your windows of attack. In order to do that, you should carefully ration your stamina (for example when you get him to half his health, you should take a break to refill your stamina bar and then go back with L2 spam). This is important because at some point, if you have your attack interrupted because of stamina loss the first G
iant Fishman
will retreat to the other side of the cave and he's gonna come back with his friend. Also do the L2 spam attack a bit on their side and always move along them.

Here's the link to the youtube video. SPOILERS for last area of the DLC

also guys im still wanting to play this even after platiniuming it but soo does level not matter in pvp at all... i would want to still level and im getting close to 300 would I be able to find matches still??

At 300?? Ehh I doubt it. Not without long, and I mean long wait times.

The most I would go to is 150 however I stop leveling at 120 now because you can invade down to 100, which is where most of the "meta" worshipers/honor duelers stop, and can still invade up to 175 for people doing co-op/pve. 120 also forces you to specialize in a specific thing for your build instead of being a jack of all trades which is boring in my opinion.

If youre looking for PVP its best to only do it in the DLC now because most everyone is there.

Uh, the Rakuyo is amazing. In PvP Reddit's already crying for nerfs because it pushes people's faces in with the super diverse moveset and stab move with laser-guided tracking on it.

I read that thread and it isnt misguided. No one is complaining about the diverse moveset. Thats whats great about the weapon. What isnt is the unfair advantage it gains in PVP against most if not all other weapons. The weapon is fast and has too much range on the short dagger while also having the most hyper armor for an L2 attack in the game. Tell me how that's not broken when the Kirkhammer's slow L2 can be instantly negated while the Rakuyo L2 has a quick startup and enough Hyper Armor to withstand a fully charged Stake Driver R2? It needs to be fixed but wont be.

Uh, the Rakuyo is amazing. In PvP Reddit's already crying for nerfs because it pushes people's faces in with the super diverse moveset and stab move with laser-guided tracking on it.

The Rakuyo is a pretty versatile weapon, maybe adding the small dagger was too much for the spam R1 and dodge meta

Mutombo

Man, OOK whooped my ass again. I fought him for over half an hour without winning.
His second form gets me every time. The lightning isn't a problem anymore as I can reliably dodge it, but the erratic nature of his attacks confuses me so much. And if I don't have full health any chain attack kills me. There was a time where I was doing so good but he umped in front of me and threw those shots at point blank, taking almost all my health and stunning me, and he killed me while stunned.

How do we avoid the overhead attack after he does those uppercuts? If I get caught y the first one the second one always launches me and no matter how I try to vary my wake up he always tracks me just right right for the overhead to land. Also, how do we land visceral attacks on his second form? I just end up slashing his head. Do I have to get closer than what it appears?

I must say that I'm not sure how I can help, because he handed my ass to me the first 5 tries or so (barely got a few hits in), but once I just thought of Ninja styling his ass, I got him to the second phase, and just continued on with my ninja style and won.

By ninja style I mean, keep pushing him, keep rolling towards him, and because he is aggressive as well, you'll often hit him in the back when he does an attack.

Now for the second phase I pretty much did the same, except sometimes I just rolled the fuck out of the way to heal, and then waited for the whole ninja game to pick up again; me attacking, him attacking, me rolling and poking and gtfo.

Maybe, but I'm not sure if this is tested, he's weak to thrust attacks. I had my church pick, and found it quite easy to stun him with 3 attacks in my sword mode, which gave me a bit more time to get one more attack in, or gtfo.

Anyway, I got lucky I guess, because I see so many complains about phase 2.

Since I can't delete this post: what is Hyper Armor?

Frames of semi-invincibility during an attack where you can still be damaged, but can't be staggered out of the attack. Rakuyo's L2 attack when transformed (the "spin to win") has a metric ton of it. And it's amazing.

Foffy

Banned
The
Orphan of Kos
is probably, hands down, the worst fight in any of From's dark fantasy games. I thought
Darkbeast Loran
was garbage, but this takes the cake.

All of his moves scream lolsorandom during his second phase. He barely takes the time to telegraph a fucking thing, outside of the lighting scream.

Who the fuck approved this shit? :/

The
Orphan of Kos
is probably, hands down, the worst fight in any of From's dark fantasy games. I thought
Darkbeast Loran

All of his moves scream lolsorandom during his second phase. He barely takes the time to telegraph a fucking thing, outside of the lighting scream.

Its the most reaction based fight From has ever done. Not the worst. All of his attacks are avoidable. Keep fighting him and youll get a hang of it.

Fhtagn

The
Orphan of Kos
Darkbeast Loran

It took me 57 tries to beat the LDB, but OoK wasn't remotely that difficult. 10 tries? I rank it as one of the best SoulsBorne bosses actually. Larry was waaaay more annoying for me.

Foffy

Banned
It took me 57 tries to beat the LDB, but OoK wasn't remotely that difficult. 10 tries? I rank it as one of the best SoulsBorne bosses actually. Larry was waaaay more annoying for me.

LDB gets me because when he powers up, his AOE is a OHKO.

OoK chains moves and uses the debris he makes to mask his moves a lot of the time, so if you mix that when moves that aren't clearly telegraphed, it's a pain. Many people said the first boss of this expansion was hard, but this shithead makes that guy look like the wolf from the start of the game.

Top Bottom