• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Can't beat Watchdog of the Old Lords in Defiled Pthumeru. Tried like 25 times with and without NPC cooperators. Only once did I even get its HP below 50%. Only once did I get a human and he was so dumb he got killed by its charge attack at the beginning :|

I get fucking destroyed by those asshole Shark Giants with anchors in Fishing Hamlet. I've yet to kill ONE out of like, 25 tries. I'm on my first play through. I'm like level 117.

What the fuck man. I don't remember being this frustrated in a Souls game since trying to beat Black Dragon Kalameet in like NG+++.

Foffy

Banned
Can't beat Watchdog of the Old Lords in Defiled Pthumeru. Tried like 25 times with and without NPC cooperators. Only once did I even get its HP below 50%. Only once did I get a human and he was so dumb he got killed by its charge attack at the beginning :|

I get fucking destroyed by those asshole Shark Giants with anchors in Fishing Hamlet. I've yet to kill ONE out of like, 25 tries. I'm on my first play through. I'm like level 117.

What the fuck man. I don't remember being this frustrated in a Souls game since trying to beat Black Dragon Kalameet in like NG+++.

Do you have any projectile abilities? Besides the guns, for the good ones drain quicksilver like nothing.

Foffy

Banned
Not really I'm 40 dexterity and 30 bloodtinge, never touched arcane nor strength. I don't have Simon's Bowblade yet either.

Ah. I spammed the Moonlight Greatsword beam at the boss. You either have to get good with gun parries + dodging the fire from the second phase or get lucky.

watdaeff4

Would be awesome it they let you summon Old Hunter
Gherman
to fight alongside you vs. the
Moon Presence

Not that I need the help but would be awesome for the lore

Okay, so:

He will basically always charge you immediately. I can't remember if it's possible in that arena, but in most Chalice Dungeons you can run right by him and get in a running attack on his back leg as he rears up to charge.

After he's charged you, you want to walk right in front of him, stare him in the eye(?), and show him your dick.

Wait, wait! Hear me out.

During his first phase, if you're directly in front of him the Watchdog will do basically one of three things: he will either sweep his head to bite at you from the right, sweep his head to bite at you from the left, or vomit lava everywhere after eating too much grass.

If he whips his head toward the left, step up and smack him on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper/whirligig. Then step back into position in front of him. You might get him caught in a pattern spamming his left bite. If he bites from the right, step forward and then immediately dodge back; you're baiting him into doing his follow-up left bite, which you can again punish. If he vomits lava, just start wailing on him. Try to blow up his limbs like Paarl.

After he erupts into a flame AoE sphere the first time, the fight gets a bit bullshit because he gains the ability to tack extra bites onto his "normal" string, and also gains the ability to blind you (the player, not the character) by barfing up fire while barking at you furiously. Unfortunately, this attack is a bit difficult to punish without a long-range weapon, and he will do it when you're in the standard dog-castigating position. Even worse, the extra attacks on his combo string mean that he now has much fewer windows in which he can be punished. (Basically only after three/four, depending on how many times he sweeps left.)

So, at this point you have to have the patience of a goddamn saint and just keep waiting for those openings, while probably taking damage now and then from his stupid fiery paw-swipe and risking having him insta-gib you with his charge if you ever get too far away.
Hey, there's a reason this shitter didn't make the cut for the real game. He's not a very good boss, mechanically.
Remain resolute, don't get baited into taking big risks, and eventually you'll get enough nose-smacks in to either crumple him or have him start spewing lava again. (Just be wary: his recovery from lava-barfing in the later stages can include an AoE that's approximately 500m wide and potentially capable of one-shotting you.)

Don't worry, your reward for beating him is well worth it.
I'm a fucking liar, the Defiled Chalice only gets shittier from here.

Ludwig.. slaughtered!
I think few games replicate the feeling of fulfillment you get as you keep getting better at handling a boss. At first you die within a few seconds, then you start consistently being able to whittle down its health bar, at some point you understand how to bullfight (or in this case,
horsefight
) the beast and start getting significantly more aggressive, eventually you can frequently get to the second phase, and finally.. you overcome the beast. I find that relentlessly aggressive, charge-like bosses are the most fun (like BSB or Ludwig).

Quick question. I am on NG+, my stats are
vit 52 (didn't know about caps then), end 40, skill 50, str 23, bloodtinge 6, arcane 15.
I mostly fight with blades of mercy and ludwig, though I have a decently leveled burial blade (+7, I can probably get it to +9 now).

Should I stop pumping any points in skill? If so, what should I go into? Str is my highest so it seems like the logical choice would be to go with that one (I'd love to pump up tinge for chikage but it seems like a lost fight at this point). At the same time, I hear that the end of the DLC (especially end boss) might be very hard without any arcane or tinge. I am halfway through the chalice, so I am guessing I could level up some more, but getting to a decently high level on tinge/arcane sounds like it is going to be a long shot.

Any advice welcome! Given that I am on NG+ and the DLC is pretty tough, I am interested in any hints that will prevent me from making me go batshit insane down the line. I never summon for new boss fights (never done so thus far, not planning to start now!)

At 117 you are almost overleveled for NG. Work on your dodges and upgrade your weapon as far as you can. Also consider farming gems at the brains in Mensis.

Ludwig.. slaughtered!
I think few games replicate the feeling of fulfillment you get as you keep getting better at handling a boss. At first you die within a few seconds, then you start consistently being able to whittle down its health bar, at some point you understand how to bullfight (or in this case,
horsefight
) the beast and start getting significantly more aggressive, eventually you can frequently get to the second phase, and finally.. you overcome the beast. I find that relentlessly aggressive, charge-like bosses are the most fun (like BSB or Ludwig).

Quick question. I am on NG+, my stats are
vit 52 (didn't know about caps then), end 40, skill 50, str 23, bloodtinge 6, arcane 15.
I mostly fight with blades of mercy and ludwig, though I have a decently leveled burial blade (+7, I can probably get it to +9 now).

Should I stop pumping any points in skill? If so, what should I go into? Str is my highest so it seems like the logical choice would be to go with that one (I'd love to pump up tinge for chikage but it seems like a lost fight at this point). At the same time, I hear that the end of the DLC (especially end boss) might be very hard without any arcane or tinge. I am halfway through the chalice, so I am guessing I could level up some more, but getting to a decently high level on tinge/arcane sounds like it is going to be a long shot.

Any advice welcome! Given that I am on NG+ and the DLC is pretty tough, I am interested in any hints that will prevent me from making me go batshit insane down the line. I never summon for new boss fights (never done so thus far, not planning to start now!)

You don't really need to level anything, that build is more than complete. Consider using the Beasthunter Saif, best weapon in the DLC IMO (amazing mobility with transformation attacks). It benefits from skill, but you can also put a few more points into strength and hit even harder.

Chikage is best with 50BT, so better start a new build if you want the real experience.

Alo0oy

Banned
Skill builds now have:

Blades of Mercy
Rakuyo
Church Pick
Burial Blade
Simon's Bowblade
Threaded Cane

+ Increased visceral damage.
+ Increased throwing knife damage.

Skill > Your favorite build.
I still love the Chikage though.

KeRaSh

Killed the L
iving
F
ailures
during my short session yesterday and got a few level ups.
I'm putting points into ARC for the Moonlight sword and I've noticed that below 25 ARC I got 3 points of damage for every stat point.
Moving from 25 to 26 however only showed an increase of 1 point of damage while SKL suddenly added 3 damage where it only added 2 before. STR adds 1 point of damage.

My build looks like this:

STR 50
SKL 40
ARC 25

Should I push a little further with ARC for the beam attacks or does it make more sense to get SKL to 50 first?

I keep switching between LHB and the Moonlight sword because LHB is still a little more effective.

At 117 you are almost overleveled for NG. Work on your dodges and upgrade your weapon as far as you can. Also consider farming gems at the brains in Mensis.

You don't really need to level anything, that build is more than complete. Consider using the Beasthunter Saif, best weapon in the DLC IMO (amazing mobility with transformation attacks). It benefits from skill, but you can also put a few more points into strength and hit even harder.

Chikage is best with 50BT, so better start a new build if you want the real experience.

Thanks! So I'll be able to finish the DLC in NG+ with mostly a skill build with melee weapons? Without going bonkers?

KeRaSh

Thanks! So I'll be able to finish the DLC in NG+ with mostly a skill build with melee weapons? Without going bonkers?

That depends on your skill. I entered the DLC shortly before Lv 120 and it was hard. I farmed a little here and there to make it easier. Make sure your VIT is high enough. Mine is at 42 and I'm doing fine so far. I must be around 140 right now and it definitely helped to be a little higher. I'm not a Souls expert, though so I try to overlevel to compensate my lack of experience a little.

I was checking the trophy list last night and I realized I don't have the one for owning all the weapons. What the fuck? I'm ng++ and I do own them all. Is this trophy about the lost/uncanny versions also??

I was checking the trophy list last night and I realized I don't have the one for owning all the weapons. What the fuck? I'm ng++ and I do own them all. Is this trophy about the lost/uncanny versions also??

Make sure you found the Loch Shield and Church Cannon, and that you bought the Piercing Rifle from the Messengers in the Dream.

Just checked and I'm missing both, Jesus.... I do have all the weapons, can the trophies be glitched? Is there a way around this?(I know, 1st world problems...)

Just checked and I'm missing both, Jesus.... I do have all the weapons, can the trophies be glitched? Is there a way around this?(I know, 1st world problems...)

You sure you've got everything? Might have missed:

The Beast Claws (Chalice Only)
The Other 2 Starter Weapons (Purchased/NG++ Only)
The Other Starter Firearm (Purchased/NG+ Only)
The Burial Blade (Almost NG+ Only)

Not to mention tons of other items that become available for purchase without ever being found: Chikage, Logarius's Wheel, Repeating Pistol, Stake Driver, etc., etc.

I-hate-u

Luqwig's screams are terrifying. Especially when he does the stupid 90% health drain charge.

But alas, even he falls victim to the destruction power of +9 Tonitrus.

Man, Valtr is fucking worthless against Laurence. 9 times out of 10 he actually survives to stage 2. The rest of the time he dies like 1 minute in and leaves me stuck in aggro at the worst possible moments.

Managed to get him down to maybe 20%, but stupid fire damage in stage 2 is cheap as hell.

Have you tried the Choir Bell? I fount it useful when fighting Ludwig.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Man, Valtr is fucking worthless against Laurence. 9 times out of 10 he dies like 1 minute in and leaves me stuck in aggro at the worst possible moments. Whenever he does make it to stage 2 his death is instant cause lava everywhere and AI sucks. Ugh...

Managed to get him down to maybe 20%, but stupid fire damage in stage 2 is cheap as hell.

EDIT: Assuming I can even get the the fucking boss without getting ganked by that damn Cthulhu monster at the door... ¬_¬

You sure you've got everything? Might have missed:

The Beast Claws (Chalice Only)
The Other 2 Starter Weapons (Purchased/NG++ Only)
The Other Starter Firearm (Purchased/NG+ Only)
The Burial Blade (Almost NG+ Only)

Not to mention tons of other items that become available for purchase without ever being found: Chikage, Logarius's Wheel, Repeating Pistol, Stake Driver, etc., etc.

I'll double check tonight, but I got all the items you mentioned. Thanks.

Impulsor

I'll double check tonight, but I got all the items you mentioned. Thanks.

You may have to buy a weapon or two from the vendor in the hunters dream?

BTW. I got the platinum this monday and the next day I recieved the platinum theme code o_O.

Nice.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
You may have to buy a weapon or two from the vendor in the hunters dream?

BTW. I got the platinum this monday and the next day I recieved the platinum theme code o_O.

Nice.
Nice, dude. Envy you European players. Don't get squat to show for platinum over here in the States :/

EDIT: Ugh, that feeling when you summon someone into your NG+4 boss fight but they're clearly NG or NG+. Thanks for the brief assist guy, I guess...

Meckaj

Neo Member
Does the Beasthunter Saif get the hidden bonus against beasts like some of the saw weapons?

I've been using it and haven't noticed anything like that, though I use it with bolt/fire gems. The wiki doesn't mention anything like that and given that the description of the weapon says:

".. it was later replaced by saws and similar weapons that were more effective at disposing of beasts."

I would assume the answer is no.

d00d3n

Not sure, honestly. But with a name like that I sure hope so.
I've been using it and haven't noticed anything like that, though I use it with bolt/fire gems. The wiki doesn't mention anything like that and given that the description of the weapon says:

".. it was later replaced by saws and similar weapons that were more effective at disposing of beasts."

I would assume the answer is no.

Thanks for the answers, and yeah, the description seems to indicate that there is no hidden bonus.

KeRaSh

Killed the L
iving
F
ailures
during my short session yesterday and got a few level ups.
I'm putting points into ARC for the Moonlight sword and I've noticed that below 25 ARC I got 3 points of damage for every stat point.
Moving from 25 to 26 however only showed an increase of 1 point of damage while SKL suddenly added 3 damage where it only added 2 before. STR adds 1 point of damage.

My build looks like this:

STR 50
SKL 40
ARC 25

Should I push a little further with ARC for the beam attacks or does it make more sense to get SKL to 50 first?

I keep switching between LHB and the Moonlight sword because LHB is still a little more effective.

Quoting for visibility. Any thoughts on where I should take my build next for the Moonlight sword?

KeRaSh

Go for Arcane. The sword's energy blades damage are determined purely by that.

Is it worth it, though? How often would I be moonbeaming enemies from a distance? I'll run out of bullets before I kill anything big and the physical damage is far superior.
If I consider the combined damage of an R2 attack with both damage types applying then upgrading the stat that adds the most damage per point is also the superior choice, right?
I'm still new to the arcane stuff so I'm genuinely interested in how others see it.

Does the Beasthunter Saif get the hidden bonus against beasts like some of the saw weapons?

No it doesn't. Would be too OP honestly.

Given that skill is arguably the best offensive stat in the game, yes, you are good! Especially with 50vit.

Is it worth it, though? How often would I be moonbeaming enemies from a distance? I'll run out of bullets before I kill anything big and the physical damage is far superior.
If I consider the combined damage of an R2 attack with both damage types applying then upgrading the stat that adds the most damage per point is also the superior choice, right?
I'm still new to the arcane stuff so I'm genuinely interested in how others see it.

I am rocking a SL100 25skill/25STR/30 arcane build. I get 832 attack rating with Nourishing gems. The arcane stuff is honestly the best thing about the MLGS, so I would level up Arcane a bit more.

I have some real trouble dealing with
Ludwig's blade slashes on NG++. I can deal with his first form well enough, and the projectiles in his second form are not much of a problem either, but man, he hits fast and hard with that sword.

myco666

Well the thing is you also can hit with the sword when you launch those beams. So if you use them close range you get the beam damage + the swing damage. You also get access to all great Tools like Blacksky Eye, Accursed Brew, Choir Bell (needs high Arcane to be actually worth it), ACB and Phantasm Shell.

Definity

Finally picked the DLC up a few days ago and instantly fell in love again with the game. Just finished up
Ludwig
. What a fight!

AwShucks

Played about an hour into the DLC last night. Love this game and so far nothing is too hard. I have plenty of health vials and as long as I'm not overrun I can take it slow and do fine. Still concerned about bosses since I'm on NG++

NEO0MJ

I have some real trouble dealing with
Ludwig's blade slashes on NG++. I can deal with his first form well enough, and the projectiles in his second form are not much of a problem either, but man, he hits fast and hard with that sword.

Scariest thing about the second form is that some moves are designed to catch you if you dodge a certain direction, most obvious the forward thrust meant to catch backdashes.

Okay, so:

He will basically always charge you immediately. I can't remember if it's possible in that arena, but in most Chalice Dungeons you can run right by him and get in a running attack on his back leg as he rears up to charge.

After he's charged you, you want to walk right in front of him, stare him in the eye(?), and show him your dick.

Wait, wait! Hear me out.

During his first phase, if you're directly in front of him the Watchdog will do basically one of three things: he will either sweep his head to bite at you from the right, sweep his head to bite at you from the left, or vomit lava everywhere after eating too much grass.

If he whips his head toward the left, step up and smack him on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper/whirligig. Then step back into position in front of him. You might get him caught in a pattern spamming his left bite. If he bites from the right, step forward and then immediately dodge back; you're baiting him into doing his follow-up left bite, which you can again punish. If he vomits lava, just start wailing on him. Try to blow up his limbs like Paarl.

After he erupts into a flame AoE sphere the first time, the fight gets a bit bullshit because he gains the ability to tack extra bites onto his "normal" string, and also gains the ability to blind you (the player, not the character) by barfing up fire while barking at you furiously. Unfortunately, this attack is a bit difficult to punish without a long-range weapon, and he will do it when you're in the standard dog-castigating position. Even worse, the extra attacks on his combo string mean that he now has much fewer windows in which he can be punished. (Basically only after three/four, depending on how many times he sweeps left.)

So, at this point you have to have the patience of a goddamn saint and just keep waiting for those openings, while probably taking damage now and then from his stupid fiery paw-swipe and risking having him insta-gib you with his charge if you ever get too far away.
Hey, there's a reason this shitter didn't make the cut for the real game. He's not a very good boss, mechanically.
Remain resolute, don't get baited into taking big risks, and eventually you'll get enough nose-smacks in to either crumple him or have him start spewing lava again. (Just be wary: his recovery from lava-barfing in the later stages can include an AoE that's approximately 500m wide and potentially capable of one-shotting you.)

Don't worry, your reward for beating him is well worth it.
I'm a fucking liar, the Defiled Chalice only gets shittier from here.

I agree with this 100%. Get a long range 2h weapon and stand right in front of his face. When he does his bite attack, counter attack 1 time, then back up. I did this the entire fight in the defiled dungeon. Its slow, but relatively safe as soon as you learn how to recognize his attacks.

RiggyRob

Episode 21, Pimmsy vs. the 2nd DLC boss, the
Living Failures
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJR4d3j3MU

So yeah, we lost the footage for this fight from the PS4, BUT luckily I was recording through my phone since I wanted to have a video where you can see Pimmsy's inputs. Apologies for the off-screen video.

Wine may have been involved in this video, and certain expletives occur, but I think they give the fight character.

KeRaSh

No it doesn't. Would be too OP honestly.

Given that skill is arguably the best offensive stat in the game, yes, you are good! Especially with 50vit.

I am rocking a SL100 25skill/25STR/30 arcane build. I get 832 attack rating with Nourishing gems. The arcane stuff is honestly the best thing about the MLGS, so I would level up Arcane a bit more.

Alright, will do. Already put two more levels in ARC. Is the soft cap also 50 or does it peak before that?

AlexIIDX

Does the Arcane ATK amount on the Moonlight Sword only apply to the projectile attacks? The Physical is lower than my Holy Blade but if I take into account the Moonlights Arcane maybe thats more powerful per swing? Trying to decide which to take into the
Orphan
Fight. I never fully understood how the stats effect the overall power of each weapon.

gogosox82

Does the Arcane ATK amount on the Moonlight Sword only apply to the projectile attacks? The Physical is lower than my Holy Blade but if I take into account the Moonlights Arcane maybe thats more powerful per swing? Trying to decide which to take into the
Orphan
Fight. I never fully understood how the stats effect the overall power of each weapon.

Yes, the arcane attacks are only the projectiles. Also, I believe
Kos
is quite resistant to arcane attacks. I was watching a live stream of someone fighting him who had an arcane build and he was only doing like 150 damage. He basically had to go grind in chalice dungeons and get his str to 40 and use the boom hammer to kill him. Just something to keep in mind.

NeoFaff

I just beat the lady boss
Maria
first try with 0 vials and bullets left. I got 6 or 7 parries in and had to melee her in the third phase :O

ZeroRay

Great DLC.

Both
Ludwig
and
Laurence
were the hardest bosses for me.

Beat
Living Failures
on first attempt. Probably had the most tries against
Maria
, but a lot of that was me dickking around and not being focused since she was so close to a lamp.

Got
OoK
down to sub 30% health on my first try, then beat him in co-op cause free PS+

Will rectify the shame with my NG+ strength character.

Top Bottom