• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Man, I've been stuck on Laurence for like 5 days. So. Damn. Annoying. It's starting to feel disheartening.
I've leveled up quite a bit, fortified weapons, tried alone or with Valtr. Nothing seem to work. He just has too many HP, and you have to wait half a hour for him to stop his series of attacks to score just a hit or two. Only to get killed immediately if you make some mistakes.

Valtr also is so damn dumb, he run directly under his attacks and rarely heals when he should. He just dies and leave me with a buffed up boss and one Insight less.

I knew playing this on New Game Plus wasn't a good idea.

Robot Pants

It took me 57 tries to beat the LDB, but OoK wasn't remotely that difficult. 10 tries? I rank it as one of the best SoulsBorne bosses actually. Larry was waaaay more annoying for me.
No way. Laurence is a piece of cake.
Orphan is a joke in that second form. Flails everywhere

Fhtagn

Ludwig Da Best?

Hahaha no
Loran Darkbeast

I was overleveled for NG+ at 160 with a heavy investment in Vitality and I instinctively figured out the stay back, dodge in, attack, get back again pattern for the second half of the fight so I got Ludwig done in one solo attempt after being a summon for a few people first.

Oddly enough, never succeeded as a summon.

No way. Laurence is a piece of cake.
Orphan is a joke in that second form. Flails everywhere

He's got a ton of hp in NG+ and I have 6 bloodtinge so it was hell to figure out the second phase. He kept comboing me to death or even OHKOing. I eventually got it by watching a vid of someone else fighting him with hit and run tactics, but for hours and hours I couldn't figure out how to survive AND hurt him in the second phase.

Man, I've been stuck on Laurence for like 5 days. So. Damn. Annoying. It's starting to feel disheartening.
I've leveled up quite a bit, fortified weapons, tried alone or with Valtr. Nothing seem to work. He just has too many HP, and you have to wait half a hour for him to stop his series of attacks to score just a hit or two. Only to get killed immediately if you make some mistakes.

Valtr also is so damn dumb, he run directly under his attacks and rarely heals when he should. He just dies and leave me with a buffed up boss and one Insight less.

Valtr's AI will tank him always but if you get hurt more than a half of your health, Valtr will no longer try to tank him but heals you, dying in the process.

Hit him on his back in all moment while valtr is tanking him, try to reach his arms to stund him and give Valtr time to self heal

Sigurd2990

Neo Member
I gotta say this has been some of the best DLC I've ever played. Though I had fits with
Orphan of Kos
. The DLC made me realize how much I love Ludwig's Holy Blade. So much fun

Razzorn34

I hear ya. Took me like 4 days and like 70 tries to beat
Ludwig
. I'm getting close to that working on
Laurence
. Don't give up!

Tips for the fight if you need any:

In phase two try to constantly strafe to the left. And stay in front of him. Never dodge backwards. Wait for the long arm sweeps and punish those. Punish the ass lava spew by hitting his face. Punish the face lava spew by hitting his right(your left) arm.

The guide just arrived shortly ago, I only had a chance to thumb through it briefly, but it looks just as beautifully put together as the original and dense with info. They've included a lore section, but it's pretty much just sourcing all the info the game directly tells you to put it into an easily readable format.

I still hope we get a proper Design Works book some day for Bloodborne like Dark Souls 1 and 2 did.

The guide just arrived shortly ago, I only had a chance to thumb through it briefly, but it looks just as beautifully put together as the original and dense with info. They've included a lore section, but it's pretty much just sourcing all the info the game directly tells you to put it into an easily readable format.

I still hope we get a proper Design Works book some day for Bloodborne like Dark Souls 1 and 2 did.

To be honest I dont expect a book to connect all dots, BB history was made for the sake of speculation, lots of backstory and forgetting about present events at all.

Valtr's AI will tank him always but if you get hurt more than a half of your health, Valtr will no longer try to tank him but heals you, dying in the process.

Hit him on his back in all moment while valtr is tanking him, try to reach his arms to stund him and give Valtr time to self heal

Valtr can actually heal me? Never really noticed.

I hear ya. Took me like 4 days and like 70 tries to beat
Ludwig
. I'm getting close to that working on
Laurence
. Don't give up!
Yeah, I don't plan on giving up. He's going down sooner or later. I hope.

Tips for the fight if you need any:

In phase two try to constantly strafe to the left. And stay in front of him. Never dodge backwards. Wait for the long arm sweeps and punish those. Punish the ass lava spew by hitting his face. Punish the face lava spew by hitting his right(your left) arm.

Thanks, will try that. I didn't have many chances of testing what I can and should do during that phase as I rarely reach it.

In the US, right? I ordered from amazon.co.uk and is still wasn't dispatched. Cancelled the order today and bought via market place seller at german amazon. A bit bummed I have to wait longer.

LDB gets me because when he powers up, his AOE is a OHKO.

OoK chains moves and uses the debris he makes to mask his moves a lot of the time, so if you mix that when moves that aren't clearly telegraphed, it's a pain. Many people said the first boss of this expansion was hard, but this shithead makes that guy look like the wolf from the start of the game.
You can actually roll through the AOE of LDB.

HORRORSHØW

I just see a pic. How'd you do it?
i made a post with my glyph a couple pages back. two boneash hunters that give 92k echoes each. fight them one by one; you can easily backstab the other one. bold hunter's mark.
here, i made a quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-reYopAGXGY

are you on ng+? its only gonna be better on higher diffs
yeah, just started ng+ on this character so i'm still a ways from the lecture room.

chalice dungeons don't scale with ng+ so you can even do this in ng if you want. also, they drop rank 17-18 elemental gems.

you can probably get 8-9m echoes in an hour, depending on how good you are at killing the hunters.

Finally got
Ludwig
down, this dlc is great but it's well and truly kicking my ass, I'm going to level up a bit more I think before moving on.

moonbeam

Identical to all DLCs for Souls games, I don't support the idea of it. Unless if it was DLC for Demon's Souls, in which I've craved for too many years at this point... I would rather have them spend the money and effort on a sequel or something completely new. That's my take on DLC since the beginning of last generation, pretty much :)

With that being said, I say that I 'don't support the idea', but that doesn't actually mean I haven't bought them. With 'lack of support' from me, I mean that I don't think it's worth spending time talking/hyping DLC on GAF. My order for the Guidebook and most physical editions (JP) are on their way to me as I'm posting this :) Can't wait to add yet more Bloodborne to my collection.

Thanks Yoshi. I'm with you on DLC. If a developer has enough good ideas for a sequel then I'd prefer they just work on that.

I haven't tried the DLC yet. Just skimming the thread I'm wondering if I'll find it too hard and frustrating as I'm not really a very patient person. I did solo all the bosses in the main game and finished around level 90 but I found some of them pretty hard. I only beat Amelia, Logarius, and Ebrietas after coming back to them at a higher level (and with better gear).

I'm sort of wondering if the DLC bosses are like the Watchdog fight? I saw Shu Yoshida beat him but I'm not sure that is the sort of fight that I'd enjoy.

Anyway, not a big deal - I'll definitely check out the DLC at some stage.

The thing that's kind of killing my momentum for beating
Laurence
isn't the fight itself, but the initial boss run to him. It has to be up there as one of the worst in the game. Having to run by the first hunter, go up the stairs to trigger the flaming boulder, run back down the stairs dodging the second hunter's shots, then go back up and wait to trigger the Grand Cathederal doors opening and then run by the executioner gets so tedious after the first few times. And that's just if you do it perfectly, because there's always that chance one of those fuckers will blindside you and get a hit in - especially the executioner - meaning you either have to use up a vial or spend more time getting into a fight to regain that lost health quickly. I don't mind having to go through the motions of running and dodging enemies back to the fog gate, but that's what it should always be, a straight run with little to no enemy interference.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The fat guy before the boss always drops like 6 vials, dude... even when I take a bunch of hits, I can still afford to create blood bullets, be at full health and full vials for the boss and gain some extra vials for storage.

Manu

Delivered to my desk today :D

http://m.imgur.com/G0H4QSA

0cEG6O.gif

That's awesome man. Congrats.

Foffy

Banned
Laurence
isn't the fight itself, but the initial boss run to him. It has to be up there as one of the worst in the game. Having to run by the first hunter, go up the stairs to trigger the flaming boulder, run back down the stairs dodging the second hunter's shots, then go back up and wait to trigger the Grand Cathederal doors opening and then run by the executioner gets so tedious after the first few times. And that's just if you do it perfectly, because there's always that chance one of those fuckers will blindside you and get a hit in - especially the executioner - meaning you either have to use up a vial or spend more time getting into a fight to regain that lost health quickly. I don't mind having to go through the motions of running and dodging enemies back to the fog gate, but that's what it should always be, a straight run with little to no enemy interference.

You missed a shortcut. Explore near the boss area for another Lantern.

I don't mind having to go through the motions of running and dodging enemies back to the fog gate, but that's what it should always be, a straight run with little to no enemy interference.

Kind of a weird thing to say when lots of bosses in the series have rather long (relatively speaking) stretches before them. Especially, for some reason, the very first real boss (Taurus Demon, Gascoine, etc.), often driving new players insane.

AlexIIDX

Dumb question but can I fight
Laurence
last...if i beat the other bosses it won't lock me out of that fight will it....I just know im gonna be stuck on both the last bosses for days so i wanna finish the rest of the DLC before I start that horror.

Dumb question but can I fight
Laurence
last...if i beat the other bosses it won't lock me out of that fight will it....I just know im gonna be stuck on both the last bosses for days so i wanna finish the rest of the DLC before I start that horror.
Yes, you won't be locked out of the fight.

Robot Pants

He's got a ton of hp in NG+ and I have 6 bloodtinge so it was hell to figure out the second phase. He kept comboing me to death or even OHKOing. I eventually got it by watching a vid of someone else fighting him with hit and run tactics, but for hours and hours I couldn't figure out how to survive AND hurt him in the second phase.

Oh yea he took me DAYS. I played this DLC on NG+ the first time too.
But OoK was way harder and more ridiculous.

sixghost

Has the Tonitrus always been as good as it is now? I didn't use it once on my first playthrough, but this thing is absolutely destroying every boss I've come up against so far. I was able to do so much damage from Rom that he only had the chance to teleport once. I have lots of points in Strength and Arcane, and I found some bolt +% gems that seem to help a ton. I've constantly been upgrading a Ludwig's blade because everything I had read said that Ludwig's was the best weapon for an arcane build in the end, but it's still not even close to the Tonitrus.

Needham

Laurence

You can just run up the left side of the stairs to avoid the boulder and all the enemies behind you should leave you alone if you don't go back. Now you just need to wait for the door to open. Stay back so the two dudes don't turn around to fight you and let the giant take a swing at them. Run past him while he's busy fighting them and you're in.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Has the Tonitrus always been as good as it is now? I didn't use it once on my first playthrough, but this thing is absolutely destroying every boss I've come up against so far. I was able to do so much damage from Rom that he only had the chance to teleport once. I have lots of points in Strength and Arcane, and I found some bolt +% gems that seem to help a ton. I've constantly been upgrading a Ludwig's blade because everything I had read said that Ludwig's was the best weapon for an arcane build in the end, but it's still not even close to the Tonitrus.

I don't know if they change things with various patches and the DLC but once Tonitrus was known as straight up the most powerful weapon in terms of attack strength. Also helps that a lot of enemies are weak against bolt so yeah. There's a reason after all why it has such low durability *and* how the durability loss effect is magnified when you buff it with its bolt charge.

And Ludwig's Arcane attack doesn't count for its Skill + Strength scaling so the fact that people calling it the best was really not because it's amazing or anything like that but more to the sad fact that Arcane build didn't have that many options to begin with to really shine back then.

pixxxelz

What is the place for PvP on this game?
I've been playing this (on and off) since it released and I just recently started invading people, I had no idea PvP was this fun! The best place I found so far is the starting area of the dlc, lots of people looking for pvp there, but what other places people use for PvP? (Aside from the two nightmares)

Tonitrus is really strong because the charged mode adds an extra Arcane multiplier. The main reason people don't use it is because of the poor range and really, really boring/limited moveset, not so much the lack of damage.

Foffy

Banned
You're thinking of Ludwig.

Oh, right. Dem L's.

I thought it was easy to get there. Just run, let the bit at the church happen, and kill the remaining enemy. You might use one or two vials, but why not summon?
There's a summon point offline too, if you've joined Valtr's faction.

Top Bottom