• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Alo0oy

Banned
After 20 hours of Chalice Dungeon farming, I finally got my
Lady Maria
cosplay to where it needs to be:

Ylz2ahB.jpg

M8l5KNV.jpg

The third image might be a boss spoiler since this character is a cosplay
http://i.imgur.com/akZ3yUo.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
After 20 hours of Chalice Dungeon farming, I finally got my
Lady Maria
cosplay to where it needs to be:

Seeing this image truly drives home how insanely high Ludwig's Holy Blade's physical raw attack power is.

Just +6 with 50 Skill and 16 Strength with very low-tier gems equipped it manages to reach around 340-ish, which is more than half of 50 skill fully upgraded Rakuyo equipped in all slots with 20-ish % upgrade gems. Truly a beast.

So..I was in a cursed chalice dugeon with 2 players I summoned.

While they were returning back to their world, this lizard like creature suddenly enveloped one of them, like it was eating him? What exactly did I see?

Alo0oy

Banned
Seeing this image truly drives home how insanely high Ludwig's Holy Blade's physical raw attack power is.

Just +6 with 50 Skill and 16 Strength with very low-tier gems equipped it manages to reach around 340-ish, which is more than half of 50 skill fully upgraded Rakuyo equipped in all slots with 20-ish % upgrade gems. Truly a beast.

The Rakuyo is significantly faster though, thus giving you much much higher dps than LHB would, with 27.2% gems, LHB can get up to ~750-800 AR, which is extremely high, but when two fast swings with the Rakuya or BoM can significantly out damage it, it actually tells you how overrated LHB is.

A buffed Tonitrus on a strength build gives you over 1k of AR & it's significantly faster than LHB, the only reason LHB is overused is because it's insanely easy to use compared to other more damaging weapons (like the Chikage).

I haven't tried all the DLC weapons yet, but I suspect most of them are better than LHB, just like the weapons in the main game were.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Rakuyo is significantly faster though, thus giving you much much higher dps than LHB would, with 27.2% gems, LHB can get up to ~750-800 AR, which is extremely high, but when two fast swings with the Rakuya or BoM can significantly out damage it, it actually tells you how overrated LHB is.

A buffed Tonitrus on a strength build gives you over 1k of AR & it's significantly faster than LHB, the only reason LHB is overused is because it's insanely easy to use compared to other more damaging weapons (like the Chikage).

I haven't tried all the DLC weapons yet, but I suspect most of them are better than LHB, just like the weapons in the main game were.

Rakuyo and Blade of Mercy is significantly faster, true, but Ludwig has a much higher stagger potential, especially against medium to big-sized enemies which tend to shrug off Rakuyo and *especially* Blade of Mercy.

Tonitrus outdamage it, yeah, but its very low durability--and how the loss of durability is accelerated when you hit enemies using its buffed state--prevents it for much use. And its short range can be crippling in many situations.

Saying "most of the weapons in the main game" are better in LHB, outside of personal preference, is underselling LHB's versatility and potential, IMO. Though I do admit that, for me, it's a very boring weapon to use, especially when compared to more exotic ones like Beast Hunter Saif or Whirligig Saw or Bow Blade... but what it does, it does really, really well.

laxu

LHB also gets big damage bonuses against enemies that get "church" damage and it has a really good moveset and stun. It took me about four or five hits of 2H LHB with beast pellets to kill Celestial Emissary in NG+.

I prefer using Rakuyo against fast enemies like hunters but the LHB is generally pretty good against bosses.

The best overall weapon for me has been the Burial Blade though because it has longer reach in one handed form than LHB and with a bolt gem can add a nice stun.

Alo0oy

Banned
Rakuyo and Blade of Mercy is significantly faster, true, but Ludwig has a much higher stagger potential, especially against medium to big-sized enemies which tend to shrug off Rakuyo and *especially* Blade of Mercy.

Tonitrus outdamage it, yeah, but its very low durability--and how the loss of durability is accelerated when you hit enemies using its buffed state--prevents it for much use. And its short range can be crippling in many situations.

Saying "most of the weapons in the main game" are better in LHB, outside of personal preference, is underselling LHB's versatility and potential, IMO. Though I do admit that, for me, it's a very boring weapon to use, especially when compared to more exotic ones like Beast Hunter Saif or Whirligig Saw or Bow Blade... but what it does, it does really, really well.

Sure, it stunlocks enemies, but it eats through stamina & it's slow as hell, it's also easily punishable in PvP, besides, you're severely underestimating BoM's stunlock potential, once you get an enemy into a combo, he'll be stunlocked until you're out of stamina, and the weapon gets extremely fast after a few swings, in NG+ a full combo on Ebretias probably takes off half her health, it has insane dps, I don't think any weapon is even close in terms of dps.

Another thing fast weapons are better at is the fire/bolt/arcane buffs, those buffs add a flat 100 AR, regardless of the base damage, so adding 100 AR to a Rakuyo is infinitely more devastating than 100 AR to the slow ass swings of the LHB.

Maybe I'm underselling it, but I still think it's the most overrated weapon in the series.

LHB also gets big damage bonuses against enemies that get "church" damage and it has a really good moveset and stun. It took me about four or five hits of 2H LHB with beast pellets to kill Celestial Emissary in NG+.

I prefer using Rakuyo against fast enemies like hunters but the LHB is generally pretty good against bosses.

The best overall weapon for me has been the Burial Blade though because it has longer reach in one handed form than LHB and with a bolt gem can add a nice stun.

There are like 3 "church" enemies in the game, all of them found in Cainhurst. Meanwhile, LHB does shit damage to Kin enemies because they're highly resistant to blunt damage.

Do you by any chance have the slider settings for the character creator?

I think I have her sliders saved in my favorites, I'll PM you her sliders once I get on my PS4.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Well, I've finally got my hands on the Uncanny Bloodletter. A few more chunks and she'll be +10, and then I'm going to remove the gems from my beloved Chikage and hang her up on the wall :(

She served me well, but it's time for a change.

Switch Back 9

Blasphemy!

Ugh, I know. I'm not even sure if the Bloodletter will be worth it as far as speed/damage go, but I'm down to experiment a little bit. It hurts though, I'm not going to lie...there's some guilt.

myco666

Ugh, I know. I'm not even sure if the Bloodletter will be worth it as far as speed/damage go, but I'm down to experiment a little bit. It hurts though, I'm not going to lie...there's some guilt.

I like Bloodletter way more than Chikage. It has great moveset and no annoying health drain to worry about. Also if you have Bloodtinge / Skill build Bowblade would be other good choice.

Switch Back 9

I like Bloodletter way more than Chikage. It has great moveset and no annoying health drain to worry about. Also if you have Bloostinge / Skill build Bowblade would be other good choice.

Cool, I'm a 25/50 skl/blt so I'll probably try that out as well at some point. Just have to farm some chunks :(

myco666

Cool, I'm a 25/50 skl/blt so I'll probably try that out as well at some point. Just have to farm some chunks :(

It is more Skill based though since the blade form only seems to scale with Skill. Kinda like Reiterpallasch. Arrows do much better damage though.

Is there any point to a pure Bloodtinge build? Seems like the only way to make it viable is to mix with Skill right?

Not really unless you want to do gun only build. If you would want to use melee weapons you would have to use Chikages or Bloodletters bloodmode for all attacks. Don't know if the latter gets much boost from Str when transformed so even that might be 'useless' with pure BT.

2AdEPT

Can't beat Watchdog of the Old Lords in Defiled Pthumeru. Tried like 25 times with and without NPC cooperators. Only once did I even get its HP below 50%. Only once did I get a human and he was so dumb he got killed by its charge attack at the beginning :|

I get fucking destroyed by those asshole Shark Giants with anchors in Fishing Hamlet. I've yet to kill ONE out of like, 25 tries. I'm on my first play through. I'm like level 117.

What the fuck man. I don't remember being this frustrated in a Souls game since trying to beat Black Dragon Kalameet in like NG+++.
yeah we all had a turn at being frustrated, at least I did...patience is a virtue and eventually I had to learn the attacks...even with a decent strat and memory of his moves after a while I still needed all my vials for this run....it might help to just go crazy and pump vitality.
Yeah so the well..........

Fuck. That.

Will I miss anything of importance by skipping it?
Dont skip ..........cheese!

While they were returning back to their world, this lizard like creature suddenly enveloped one of them, like it was eating him? What exactly did I see?

Ah man I want to do a video of this so bad but it is on the waitlist until I actually finish the DLC. IT is a cool item you get from an NPC invader that also drops the vermin near the lamp in shaded woods. I got it by luck after speaking tothe covenant leader nearby in the shack and was also lucky as I was using my bloodtinge character and it scales with blood. was doing 700 damage to mobs in the DLC library with 45 blood.

it is called the
madaras whistle
, uses a few bullets, and will eat you too unless you get out of the way. Will be great for PVP but havent had a chance to do much PVP yet since the patch and this item was available.

Something i just realized that sorta blew my mind, and idk why.

At the beginning of the game the doll says:

"Over time, countless hunters have visited this dream. The graves here stand in their memory. It all seems so long ago now..."

This is not only giving a history to the dream but is also meant to allude to Bloodborne's online system. Basically an explanation for all the graves in the dream, ghosts/specters and messages of past hunters we see in the game.

Nope, Demon's Souls still has the GOAT NPCs.

Word. Demon's Souls is the king in this series. Bloodborne is the closest to it in overall quality, I feel.

Finally started The Old Hunters DLC. Holy crap. The hunters you face in it are no joke, and definitely require you to get good with parrying in order to survive.

Any advice for those enemies with the bloody sacks?

Alo0oy

Banned
Is there any point to a pure Bloodtinge build? Seems like the only way to make it viable is to mix with Skill right?

At 50 Bloodtinge, the Chikage does absurd damage, easily outdamaging even charged attacks from LHB or Kirkhammer. Not to mention the Evelyn has an S scaling with Bloodtinge, making it a legitimate long range alternative.

I just beat the lady boss
Maria
first try with 0 vials and bullets left. I got 6 or 7 parries in and had to melee her in the third phase :O

I still hate how op parries are, almost ruined that fight, along with how easy you can stagger her. She's a boss that should get buffed if they ever do another update. She's so much fun to fight and would be my favorite boss in the game if she weren't so easy.

PVP wise, the Rakuyo stuns EVERYONE. Completely shits on Ludwig users because they can't get they attacks out fast enough.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Something i just realized that sorta blew my mind, and idk why.

At the beginning of the game the doll says:

"Over time, countless hunters have visited this dream. The graves here stand in their memory. It all seems so long ago now..."

This is not only giving a history to the dream but is also meant to allude to Bloodborne's online system. Basically an explanation for all the graves in the dream, ghosts/specters and messages of past hunters we see in the game.

And in new game+ and beyond, there's an extra grave representing your character in the previous cycle, so to speak.

PVP wise, the Rakuyo stuns EVERYONE. Completely shits on Ludwig users because they can't get they attacks out fast enough.

Hahaha, yeah I can imagine. I don't do PVP though unless forced to do it (folks invading while in Mensis/Frontier)

NEO0MJ

Not really unless you want to do gun only build. If you would want to use melee weapons you would have to use Chikages or Bloodletters bloodmode for all attacks. Don't know if the latter gets much boost from Str when transformed so even that might be 'useless' with pure BT.

How is it useless with pure BT if it scales highly with it?

I have to admit the Bloodletter is encouraging me to do a BT build. Shame it takes a long time to get it.

myco666

How is it useless with pure BT if it scales highly with it?

I have to admit the Bloodletter is encouraging me to do a BT build. Shame it takes a long time to get it.

Useless as in not optimal if you need also Str to get most out of the weapon. But as I said I don't know if Bloodletter gets damage boost from Str when transformed and how much if it does. If it is purely BT scaling damage then pure BT build would be good for it.

I'm curious in how weak my Chikage is? Its got 560 AR in blood mode and 370 AR standard. 40 BT and 30 SKL.

NEO0MJ

Useless as in not optimal if you need also Str to get most out of the weapon. But as I said I don't know if Bloodletter gets damage boost from Str when transformed and how much if it does. If it is purely BT scaling damage then pure BT build would be good for it.

At lv. 10 it has A scaling for strength, S Bloodtinge, and C arcane. Pretty sure it would be broken if it scaled with both in its transformed state.

myco666

At lv. 10 it has A scaling for strength, S Bloodtinge, and C arcane. Pretty sure it would be broken if it scaled with both in its transformed state.

Just tried to check some discussion about the scaling at it seems the transformed mode scales only with BT. So it would be really good with pure BT build and better than Chikage in PVE. Only problem with going pure BT with it is that the non-transformed version would do shit damage and that moveset isn't all that great.

NEO0MJ

Just tried to check some discussion about the scaling at it seems the transformed mode scales only with BT. So it would be really good with pure BT build and better than Chikage in PVE. Only problem with going pure BT with it is that the non-transformed version would do shit damage and that moveset isn't all that great.

Yeah. And while you don't lose as much after transforming it's more damaging to keep switching forms with this weapon.

myco666

Yeah. And while you don't lose as much after transforming it's more damaging to keep switching forms with this weapon.

Well with Bloodletter you can negate the transform damage by using transform attack so I don't think transforming back and forth with it is a problem.

I'm curious in how weak my Chikage is? Its got 560 AR in blood mode and 370 AR standard. 40 BT and 30 SKL.

You should get some better gems, Chikage should go to 500+ with 30 skill in normal mode.

Laggy Rakuyo is pretty broken in Pvp. Together with the Kos Parasite and the Pizza Cutter it is leading my salt scale among the DLC stuff.

Where to find those 27% PA gems? Highest I have is 19%

People usually farm Depth 5 RFC Chalices that have the Merciless Watchers as the first boss, since they can drop them and aren't terribly hard:

pwmf22gu (Radial)
5pwujscd (Triangle)

As far as I know, there are no equivalent Waning/Circular gems, so you either need to use lesser ones or hunt for Abyssals. (Much, much harder.)

Generally, you just want to run straight to the second part of the 1st layer, rush the gate lever, head straight to the boss, then reset the dungeon (remove the Chalice and re-search it) and do it all again. You're going to get a lot of gems that are rubbish along the way (-ATK, HP Continues to Deplete, etc.), so if you want a full set of 27.2% ones be ready for some grinding. (That said, it's lucrative in terms of Souls; you should net a couple hundred thousand per gem.)

Edit: Oh, and if it isn't clear: this is why people generally prefer to have 2 Radial and 1 Triangle slot on physical weapons. Thankfully, a lot of the DLC weapons come already with these slots.

Ferr986

Madaras whistle. Its a hunter tool. It summons a snake head and do damage where you used it.

Some people use it as a fin way of dissapearing after coop.

A pure BT build is viable just fine with the Chikage. You just use 2h mode (it's the better mode of the weapon anyways). You don't need to invest on SKL more than 12 and ignore STR, so you can also cap your character earlier if you want.

With the DLC you can also the bowblade in bow mode as a secondary weapon because bos scales with BT only.

Ratrat

Something weird happened when I got summoned to help with Rom today.

Me and the host killed that weird Vagina Centipede outside of the mansion and then out of nowhere three Boss healthbars for Shadows of Yarnham appeared on the bottom. The third health bar turned into Rom's once the boss fight started and I got 100,000+ souls when we killed him(I have been summoned for this boss like 50 times and always get around 10k).

So was it a glitch? Cheat? Maybe he was on New Game+ or something but it didn't seem much harder than usual.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
People usually farm Depth 5 RFC Chalices that have the Merciless Watchers as the first boss, since they can drop them and aren't terribly hard:

pwmf22gu (Radial)
5pwujscd (Triangle)

As far as I know, there are no equivalent Waning/Circular gems, so you either need to use lesser ones or hunt for Abyssals. (Much, much harder.)

Generally, you just want to run straight to the second part of the 1st layer, rush the gate lever, head straight to the boss, then reset the dungeon (remove the Chalice and re-search it) and do it all again. You're going to get a lot of gems that are rubbish along the way (-ATK, HP Continues to Deplete, etc.), so if you want a full set of 27.2% ones be ready for some grinding. (That said, it's lucrative in terms of Souls; you should net a couple hundred thousand per gem.)

Edit: Oh, and if it isn't clear: this is why people generally prefer to have 2 Radial and 1 Triangle slot on physical weapons. Thankfully, a lot of the DLC weapons come already with these slots.

I have seen images of people finding the waning equivalent. Just extremely rare.
Also, I prefer to cloud save my game and just reload before the boss instead of running the dungeon all over again. Only takes a few mins to do.

I have seen images of people finding the waning equivalent. Just extremely rare.
Also, I prefer to cloud save my game and just reload before the boss instead of running the dungeon all over again. Only takes a few mins to do.

If I had to guess, they're probably an "off-shape" drop. I've been told you can get those with high enough Item Discovery, but even running with 3 Eye Runes and Milkweed I personally don't seem to see them often enough to be worth considering.

Aceofspades

Banned

pwmf22gu (Radial)
5pwujscd (Triangle)

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm playing the DLC now at NG++ and I have yet to touch the Chalice dungeons. Everything about them is foreign to me.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
If I had to guess, they're probably an "off-shape" drop. I've been told you can get those with high enough Item Discovery, but even running with 3 Eye Runes and Milkweed I personally don't seem to see them often enough to be worth considering.
Yeah, most likely the case. I sure haven't found any myself. Does Milkweed affect your Discovery? I just thought it gave you a broccoli head :p

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm playing the DLC now at NG++ and I have yet to touch the Chalice dungeons. Everything about them is foreign to me.
The beginning will be really boring due to your level, but once you get to the lower depth dungeons they get interesting again. Let us know if you need help on any of the bosses. The Chalices host some of the most difficult fights in the game.

I really enjoyed this dlc on NG+, too bad this is all we're going to get.

That guy guarding the church where L
aurence
can be found really was my nemesis. While I didn't have too much trouble with the optional boss, this big guy must have at least killed me 10 times on my way there. I found it really hard to time my parries (and I needed at least 3 visceral attacks to take him down) and he could kill me with 2 hits while I was struggling with the environment. Fuck that guy.
And yes, I cleared the well. :p

Top Bottom