• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm curious in how weak my Chikage is? Its got 560 AR in blood mode and 370 AR standard. 40 BT and 30 SKL.

The AR rating in the stats screen is misleading for the Chikage, the first attack after the transformation (it needs to be immediately while transforming) easily does double that, it's very fast & does absurd damage but requires good timing. You also need good Blood Gems to get the most out of your weapon.

Another thing is that the "Lost" version of the Chikage has a circular blood gem slot, which is great because you can find +32% Blood Attack blood gems, the highest you can get on other slots is 27% , which is a huge difference.

Alo0oy

Banned
If I had to guess, they're probably an "off-shape" drop. I've been told you can get those with high enough Item Discovery, but even running with 3 Eye Runes and Milkweed I personally don't seem to see them often enough to be worth considering.

The discovery stat doesn't effect the item rarity, it only increases the drop rate, The Merciless Watchers have a 100% drop rate regardless of your discovery stat, so the eye runes won't do anything.

The discovery stat doesn't effect the item rarity, it only increases the drop rate, The Merciless Watchers have a 100% drop rate regardless of your discovery stat, so the eye runes won't do anything.

Afaik this is still being debated and there are indications that discovery does affect the quality of the drop.

Mist

Banned
Anyone who knows a good Skill based build with some Arcane for PvP? I mainly want to use the Rakuyo and Beasthunter Saif I think.

I already started a Lone Survivor character, which probably isn't ideal, but I don't really want to start all over again (and so far I've only put points into Vitality and Endurance).

The main thing I'd like to know is how to level your Skill build. Besides the Threaded Cane there aren't really any Skill-based weapons early on, so I'd like to know if I should level strength up a little bit or not. And I prefer to use the Saw Cleaver right now, since I chose the Cane in my first playthrough and I'd like to try something different.

Any suggestions?

I'm enjoying BB far more, than I did in the summer.

The performance has been greatly improved since then (old Yharnam used to chugg quite badly in a few places).

Anyone got tips for the Amygdala fight in Defiled Chalice Dungeon layer 3? I know it's not strictly Old Hunters related but the only weapons I have are Whirlig and Moonlight Blade upgraded and I'm just struggling with phase 2 of the fight (where she rips of her arms).

Alo0oy

Banned
Afaik this is still being debated and there are indications that discovery does affect the quality of the drop.

After hours of Chalice Dungeon farming, I can safely say that the discovery stat does not effect item rarity at all, I spent over 150 hours in the Chalice Dungeons for over 10 characters, the discovery stat only changes the drop rate.

Arjen

Anyone got tips for the Amygdala fight in Defiled Chalice Dungeon layer 3? I know it's not strictly Old Hunters related but the only weapons I have are Whirlig and Moonlight Blade upgraded and I'm just struggling with phase 2 of the fight (where she rips of her arms).

In phase 2 just stay at the feet. The jump is easy to avoid. The legs take a lot less damage, but the method is pretty safe.

NEO0MJ

yes, I finally beat OOK! Turns out I just needed to boost my health a bit so that I don't die after every move, though in the end I barely used half my blood vials.

Are you using the cannon? I didn't face the defiled version but if the blast is strong enough it knocks her down and allows for a visceral attack, or at least cause some big damage from a safe distance.

Alo0oy

Banned
Anyone who knows a good Skill based build with some Arcane for PvP? I mainly want to use the Rakuyo and Beasthunter Saif I think.

I already started a Lone Survivor character, which probably isn't ideal, but I don't really want to start all over again (and so far I've only put points into Vitality and Endurance).

The main thing I'd like to know is how to level your Skill build. Besides the Threaded Cane there aren't really any Skill-based weapons early on, so I'd like to know if I should level strength up a little bit or not. And I prefer to use the Saw Cleaver right now, since I chose the Cane in my first playthrough and I'd like to try something different.

Any suggestions?

Start with the Cruel Fate class, it starts you with the least amount of Bloodtinge, & it has 14 Arcane which isn't bad since you want some Arcane in your build. Don't take your Arcane higher than 15 though, 15 is the ideal number since it gives you access to the Old Hunter Bone, Beast Roar, Messenger's Gift, Choir Bell, & Empty Phantasm shell, the other spells require very high level of arcane to be effective, so using them with only ~25 Arcane would be useless.

Don't put any levels in Strength, you would be wasting levels on that, from the start you have the Threaded Cane & Saw Spear, both are great weapons even in the end game, IMO skill builds have the most diverse weapons in the game.

Mist

Banned
Start with the Cruel Fate class, it starts you with the least amount of Bloodtinge, & it has 14 Arcane which isn't bad since you want some Arcane in your build. Don't take your Arcane higher than 15 though, 15 is the ideal number since it gives you access to the Old Hunter Bone, Beast Roar, Messenger's Gift, Choir Bell, & Empty Phantasm shell, the other spells require very high level of arcane to be effective, so using them with only ~25 Arcane would be useless.

Don't put any levels in Strength, you would be wasting levels on that, from the start you have the Threaded Cane & Saw Spear, both are great weapons even in the end game, IMO skill builds have the most diverse weapons in the game.

Thanks. I'll see if I'm up for starting a new character with the Cruel Fate class. What would you recommend for Vit/End/Skill though? Of course this kind of differs at what level you want to PvP, but let's say 75-100?

Alo0oy

Banned
Thanks. I'll see if I'm up for starting a new character with the Cruel Fate class. What would you recommend for Vit/End/Skill though? Of course this kind of differs at what level you want to PvP, but let's say 75-100?

40/30/50 is good for a level 100 PvP build, don't listen to people that tell you to not put too many points into stamina, sometimes it's more important than HP, especially for skill builds, I'll go 35/25/40 for a level 80 character, but if you want Arcane in your character, I wouldn't suggest a level 75-90 build, at those levels it's better to have a more focused character, if you want 15 Arcane don't go lower than level 100.

Don't forget to use the 10% & 15% HP runes, as well as the 20% stamina rune, those are the three best runes combo from my experience alongside the Hunter covenant (Although you're going to need to complete the story Chalice Dungeons to have access to two of those).

silva1991

Is the moonlight's ranged attack powerful for you? if so I recommend using them wisely on her head on her last phase. when she is about to do that super smash aoe attack keep dodging to your right.

Phase two seemed impossible for me for the longest time until I realized that when ever you stay right around the legs in phase two it jumps without fail. Practice the timing of the jump so that you can dodge and end up directly under its head. That gives you time to do at least one hit on the head so that's about 600-700 damage per go.

myco666

This game is so hard and frustrating. But I can't stop playing it.

I need a good soul farming spot.

Lecture Hall is good and Mergos Loft Middle. Latter is little bit harder since the enemies put up a good fight but you get lot more Echoes from there. Also remember to equip all moon runes. Increases Echo gain a lot.

edit.

Here is what I did. Basically just stay behind her or under her. She should keep jumping away from you. Damage is super low around her legs and tail but it is by far the safest way for that phase.

SDR-UK

I can help out in a little while if you want? Spent way too much time fighting her.

Edit: Goes for anything really. Anyone need help in Chalices? Main game areas? DLC?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
defiled amy is ez to cheese once you realize that if you get behind her she'll only do stomp and jump attacks and if she jumps you can just stand still and smack her head when she lands, rinse repeat, get the visc, win

I got so winded from
Lady Maria
I don't know if I have it in me to kill
Orphan of Kos
right away. -_- but I totally need to so I can start NG+ and have his parasite.

Editted: Quickly added spoiler tabs.

Started the DLC for the second time on a NG run I started last week. I think I'm going to love it even more this time around now that I know what to expect and can soak in more of the details. This game just keeps giving, it is truly a masterpiece.

I think I got frustrated at that one because I thought I should have been able to beat it a lot easier. Just feels so deflating to die when he's crawling around on the ground when it should be easier.
Yeah, I think this is it. You expect him to be easier to fight because of his lack of mobility but he's deceptively deadly in phase 3. That was the toughest part of the fight for me for sure.

Yeah, I think this is it. You expect him to be easier to fight because of his lack of mobility but he's deceptively deadly in phase 3. That was the toughest part of the fight for me for sure.

I just wish his delayed overhand slam wasn't complete bull where he can do a complete 180 turn. That killed me at least 4 times when I was having a great run and could have won :/

Stay behind her at her tail and wait for the high jump, when she jumps just stay still. when she lands hit the head it will be right in front you than go back to her tail and repeat. Here is what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVZ9ayLoRE

I defeated her an hour ago lol, now farming ritual blood5 and red jelly in Great Isz for the great Pthumeru Ihyll dungeon and platinum.

Mist

Banned
40/30/50 is good for a level 100 PvP build, don't listen to people that tell you to not put too many points into stamina, sometimes it's more important than HP, especially for skill builds, I'll go 35/25/40 for a level 80 character, but if you want Arcane in your character, I wouldn't suggest a level 75-90 build, at those levels it's better to have a more focused character, if you want 15 Arcane don't go lower than level 100.

Don't forget to use the 10% & 15% HP runes, as well as the 20% stamina rune, those are the three best runes combo from my experience alongside the Hunter covenant (Although you're going to need to complete the story Chalice Dungeons to have access to two of those).

Thanks again. Now here's to hoping I don't give up having to progres through the whole story again. I hear people say they can speedrun the game within 2-4 hours to level up a new character, but that's something I don't think I can accomplish.

RiggyRob

Episode 22, Pimmsy vs. the 3rd DLC boss,
Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
: https://youtu.be/s6AiccbUkks

The music's amazing for this fight, really gives an epic feel to it. Quite a few moments where Pimmsy and
Maria
both get staggered, I'm not entirely sure what causes it?

I found it really cool that
Maria is supposedly the inspiration for Gehrman's Doll going by the DLC dialogue she gives you, even if we didn't see it ourselves. Makes you wonder why she willingly chose to stay in the Hunter's Nightmare.

HORRORSHØW

i don't think you need 40 insight to access the dlc

i remember speeding through father g. and the grand cathedral boss. doubt i had more than 10 insight

Dimmle

As soon as the fight starts, find your way behind her tail. Keep a little distance so she can't stomp you or reach you with her flailing attack. Eventually, she'll jump. This is your cue to stay GLUED TO THE SPOT (you will not receive damage if you freeze as soon as she leaps) and prepare an R2 charge attack. When she lands, send your attack in the direction of her head, which should be right next to you.

It's likely you'll take a few hits from her flailing arms or an unexpected stomp but this is easily the safest way to bullshit the bullshit cherry on the bullshit cake that is the defiled chalice.

Draft

So I guess Micolash poses in front of the final mirror to create a nice visual. What he does after getting show with Simon's Bowblade is fall over, run back to where he was standing, and pose again. He does this over and over until dead. Uh-hehhehheh.

Ferr986

With that talk about Chalice farming I now remember that I should farm the 27% gems for my BT character.

I still use 24-25 gems but I'm too lazy to spent another 3 hours killing the Watchers non-stop... (3 hours because the stamina down gems never drops).

Von Koz

Neo Member
I really enjoyed this dlc on NG+, too bad this is all we're going to get.

That guy guarding the church where L
aurence
can be found really was my nemesis. While I didn't have too much trouble with the optional boss, this big guy must have at least killed me 10 times on my way there. I found it really hard to time my parries (and I needed at least 3 visceral attacks to take him down) and he could kill me with 2 hits while I was struggling with the environment. Fuck that guy.
And yes, I cleared the well. :p

Since it took me a million tries to beat Laurence I learned that you can run past him while he's distracted by the two enemies on the stairs. If you're far enough away he'll just walk back to the top of the stairs with his back to you. You can visceral him for the blood vials (and to summon Vatr) or just continue to Laurence.

myco666

You will need 40 insight and you need to kill the third boss who is in the church area. The dlc has quite a few difficult enemies along with the bosses so the recommended minimum level is 65 or so. I would recommend being at least 100 though.

No need for 40 Insight. I entered the DLC after three bosses with 20 Insight. Also lvl100 way too much for the DLC.

Since it took me a million tries to beat Laurence I learned that you can run past him while he's distracted by the two enemies on the stairs. If you're far enough away he'll just walk back to the top of the stairs with his back to you. You can visceral him for the blood vials (and to summon Vatr) or just continue to Laurence.

This is why I love these games.
Offcourse I always killed that couple first, and while I could do that with almost one R2 axe spin this big lad seemed to have an insane amount of hp in my game. My gems are worthless though as I haven't entered a chalice dungeon, but I always tend to lack focus too during non bossfights. :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He sounds a little less Sean Bean as Valtr than he did as Vengarl!
Eh? Never thought he sounded like Sean Bean at all...

Something weird happened when I got summoned to help with Rom today.

Me and the host killed that weird Vagina Centipede outside of the mansion and then out of nowhere three Boss healthbars for Shadows of Yarnham appeared on the bottom. The third health bar turned into Rom's once the boss fight started and I got 100,000+ souls when we killed him(I have been summoned for this boss like 50 times and always get around 10k).

So was it a glitch? Cheat? Maybe he was on New Game+ or something but it didn't seem much harder than usual.
Sounds like a weird-ass glitch for sure...

Gbraga

Chester has the GOAT voice. But Oswald has the best laugh.

Dark Souls NPCs have yet to be topped.

Oh man, Chester's voice
r12918e.png

When I walked into Old Yharnam and heard "You there, hunter", hgggnnnnn.

Rush_Khan

Got
Laurence
down to 5 pixels of health then died.

I'll really, really hate this boss.

Yep, also found that out on my millionth attempt :(

Hey guys, quick question. Trying to get to Cainhurst on my new game, and I kinda did it by accident on my first playthrough. Whereabouts in the Forbidden Woods is the back door to Iosefka's place?

Gbraga

Hey guys, quick question. Trying to get to Cainhurst on my new game, and I kinda did it by accident on my first playthrough. Whereabouts in the Forbidden Woods is the back door to Iosefka's place?

From the lamp, cross the bridge, continue forward, turn to your left when you see some yellow (?) flowers and go over them, you'll be in a village, go to your left (without actually entering the village area), continue forward and you'll see the swamps.

Yes. Hitting him is impossible in the second phase. I'm past the point where I'm motivated to get him and give up.

Best to take a break and get back to him. Try to always dodge towards his right side (your left). When he goes into beserk mode and attacks for a few seconds just move behind his arm beside his lava bit just wait a few seconds then wail on him.

Alo0oy

Banned
With that talk about Chalice farming I now remember that I should farm the 27% gems for my BT character.

I still use 24-25 gems but I'm too lazy to spent another 3 hours killing the Watchers non-stop... (3 hours because the stamina down gems never drops).

If it makes you feel any better, it took me ~20 hours to get two radial & one triangle 27.2% gems with an increased stamina cost as a curse.

Dimmle

After pulling my hair out at
Ludwig
and the fussy baby
Orphan
, I had no qualms summoning help for
Laurence
and turning him into a relic. He's nowhere near the most interesting or enjoyable boss in the DLC and I'd had enough at that point.

After pulling my hair out at
Ludwig
and the fussy baby
Orphan
, I had no qualms summoning help for
Laurence
and turning him into a relic. He's nowhere near the most interesting or enjoyable boss in the DLC and I'd had enough at that point.

Yup was very glad it was over, such a grindfest in the end, probably didn't help I was NG+++ but it just turned into a battle of wills by the end.

Top Bottom