• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Just now getting deep into this game because of my ridiculous backlog and mad that it took me this long to really get into it. level 92 STR, ARC build is absolutely fucking ridiculous with A call beyond and MLGS.... can pretty much one shot some bosses with ACB. This game is absolutely amazing the music combat pvp co op ..... just too damn good.

Wow, that's legit surprising.

Great. It's always been surprising how mainstream and non-mainstream or "indie" for lack of the better word bloodbrone and the souls games have been viewed. But, the soulsborne series is truly of the best series that creates a world with a singular theme, and imparts it on the entire gameplay and narrative at large.

Managed to beat
Laurence
today after around 2 hours of trying. Like so often with Bloodborne at first beating him seemed hopeless, but after a few tries I really got into it. I summoned Valtr on this one and in the end the thing you needed most was patience. This was always going to be a long and grinding battle. Loved the DLC overall, even though I don't think it quite reached the best moments and pacing of the main game.

84? Thats a lot of Vit. Haven't been in NG+4 so can't really say if you would be fine with less but that definitely sounds little bit overkill.

I mean, I have Blood Echoes and not a lot to spend them on. My STR is also in the 80's.

I would spend it on END if the game would give me literally anything for it, even just 1 point of Stamina. Unfortunately, when they say "hard cap" they seem to mean it. (The cap on VIT is not very hard at all, honestly, and the caps on STR are not as bad as I was led to believe, especially with a STR-scaling Abyssal gem.)

myco666

I mean, I have Blood Echoes and not a lot to spend them on. My STR is also in the 80's.

I would spend it on END if the game would give me literally anything for it, even just 1 point of Stamina. Unfortunately, when they say "hard cap" they seem to mean it. (The cap on VIT is not very hard at all, honestly, and the caps on STR are not as bad as I was led to believe, especially with a STR-scaling Abyssal gem.)

Why not go 50 on every damage stat instead? I would assume that would be more beneficial or do you have everything else already at 50?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hours spent trying to help people beat the last DLC boss. I've notice a lot of people being really impatient during the fight or outright oblivious to strategy. There was one guy who I worked well with in tandem having each player draw aggro while the other attacked from behind. Then I had other people fight it and dodge TOWARDS me so we both had no opening. Also had people mash R1 on it hoping to stun lock it. Finally had others who were SUPER aggressive and didn't look for any openings and just rushed right into attacks.

It was quite frustrating because it seemed so many players panicked and I know it wasn't their first time fighting it since I didn't get the cinematic.

I still hate the second form and while I've seen videos, I'm still not comfortable with it. First form is relatively easy to get through at this point for me. That second form though... :'(

I felt there were a few more times I could've beaten it but most of the time the beckoner wasn't willing to wait for an opening or I simply messed up my dodging.

Including my first win in my own game I must be like 4/25 or so.

dan2026

I am so proud of myself that I managed to defeat The Orphan of Kos on my own.

Only standard difficulty, but still, it was fucking hard.

My Old Hunters guide just arrived and it says that a +30% guidance rune supposedly exists in depth 5 root dungeons, yet apparently no one has found it.

I'm starting to believe that some bug is preventing that thrid tier guidance rune to appear in chalice dungeons.

Unless some very, very specific conditions have to be met in order to get it there but I somehow doubt it.

Deku Tree

My Old Hunters guide just arrived and it says that a +30% guidance rune supposedly exists in depth 5 root dungeons, yet apparently no one has found it.

I'm starting to believe that some bug is preventing that thrid tier guidance rune to appear in chalice dungeons.

Unless some very, very specific conditions have to be met in order to get it there but I somehow doubt it.

Wouldn't the guide tell you the specific conditions though?

Why not go 50 on every damage stat instead? I would assume that would be more beneficial or do you have everything else already at 50?

Already have everything else at 50, yeah. This is my character I created for doing higher NG+ cycles and testing things, so I've got a pretty ridiculous stat spread and a mess of +10 weapons (gotten a decent number of Blood Rock random drops from Depth 5 Chalice final bosses, even).

I probably will bump the other stats over 50, especially Arcane since apparently some of the tools continue to have ridiculous post-50 scaling, but I went with Strength first because I was still consistently seeing damage increases for every point put into it.

watdaeff4

While I respect From for not running the Soulsborne series into the ground.....putting another 30-40 hours or so this month into this game again makes me sad we won't get a sequel.

myco666

Already have everything else at 50, yeah. This is my character I created for doing higher NG+ cycles and testing things, so I've got a pretty ridiculous stat spread and a mess of +10 weapons (gotten a decent number of Blood Rock random drops from Depth 5 Chalice final bosses, even).

I probably will bump the other stats over 50, especially Arcane since apparently some of the tools continue to have ridiculous post-50 scaling, but I went with Strength first because I was still consistently seeing damage increases for every point put into it.

How many hours do you have on that character? Arcane and Skill seems to be most beneficial damage stats to up after hitting 50 for sure.

While I respect From for not running the Soulsborne series into the ground.....putting another 30-40 hours or so this month into this game again makes me sad we won't get a sequel.

Is this confirmed? I would assume that Sony would gladly pay for a new game considering how well Bloodborne did.

How many hours do you have on that character? Arcane and Skill seems to be most beneficial damage stats to up after hitting 50 for sure.

Depending on the time of day you ask me, either too many or not enough. I spent a lot of time full-clearing Depth 5 FRC Chalices trying to find Abyssals that are actually worth using. (They exist! Don't do it, though, unless you just need an excuse to pour a few dozen more hours into Bloodborne.)

It's also the same character I originally did three cycles through to get all the endings. (I know you can save scum it, but I was having more than enough fun to give it another couple of runs through at the time. I might do a few more just to see how the game plays at maxed difficulty scaling.)

watdaeff4

Is this confirmed? I would assume that Sony would gladly pay for a new game considering how well Bloodborne did.

Over the last few years we've had a lot of Souls games: Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne. Is there a worry that people may be over-exposed to the franchise?

It'd be a lie if I said I have no concerns about that. I don't think it'd be the right choice to continue indefinitely creating Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm considering Dark Souls 3 to be the big closure on the series.

from: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-it-wouldnt-be-right-to-cont/1100-6432425/

EDIT: while i was doing my quick search also stumbled across this....interesting:

Dark Souls 3 director Hidetaka Miyazaki has said that Bloodborne is limited compared to the Dark Souls franchise, and it’s the game’s limitations which made him want to return to the series to work on Dark Souls 3. In an interview with GamesMaster magazine, Miyazaki said that while working on the PlayStation 4 exclusive, he realized that he wanted to create a game with a variety of battle styles and features.

Because of the character of Bloodborne’s gameplay, its battle style, as well as the role-playing elements, it’s limited compared to the Dark Souls franchise. It doesn’t necessarily mean Bloodborne was bad. However, while working on [it] I realised, I want to [create] something which has a wide range of battle styles, or features magic, or those things which allow players to wear awesome armour. Those elements are what actually made me come [back] to the Dark Souls franchise.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/09/13/miyazaki-talks-dark-souls-3-freedom/

myco666

Depending on the time of day you ask me, either too many or not enough. I spent a lot of time full-clearing Depth 5 FRC Chalices trying to find Abyssals that are actually worth using. (They exist! Don't do it, though, unless you just need an excuse to pour a few dozen more hours into Bloodborne.)

It's also the same character I originally did three cycles through to get all the endings. (I know you can save scum it, but I was having more than enough fun to give it another couple of runs through at the time. I might do a few more just to see how the game plays at maxed difficulty scaling.)

Haha. I guess you have around same amount of hours as me but I have spread it over 8 characters.

Over the last few years we've had a lot of Souls games: Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne. Is there a worry that people may be over-exposed to the franchise?

It'd be a lie if I said I have no concerns about that. I don't think it'd be the right choice to continue indefinitely creating Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm considering Dark Souls 3 to be the big closure on the series.

from: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-it-wouldnt-be-right-to-cont/1100-6432425/

Bloodborne isn't Dark Souls though.

lunlunqq

What's the deal with all the death near the doll, both the one in the dream and the one in the old workshop. I always see tons of blood marks and most of them are suicides. Is there something I don't know about the doll?

lunlunqq

Just won Orphan of Kos with lvl 73..from third time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SSqICh2O0g
this was first time for me in the second phase, that why i had alot of stupid moves.

Now facing a very difficult time with the last phase of lawrence, so cheap hits he has :(
any strategies that not involved summoning an NPC?

I was over leveled and still couldn't get through his 2nd phase; so I eventually cheesed him with a +9 bow blade. Not even feel ashamed of it. That fight is total BS.

myco666

He mentions it specifically in the response.

Just the way I read it, that he is including it as part of the overall "franchise" while it carries a different name (like Demon's)

Well the interviewer asked about it also. To me it reads that its the end of Dark Souls as that is the series and Bloodborne isn't part of it.

Binabik15

I'm just venting so here it goes: I bought Bloodborne during the BF sale, but as I'm in Europe and LOLDigital sales it's a physical copy. So I have to wait until after New Year when a friend of my mother comes back from a visit to her son in the states, where I had the game sent. So I need to wait two more weeks. But I want to play BB now. I'm done with uni for the year. Why do I have to wait. I want it noooow.

JackelZXA

I've yet to beat Orphan of Kos yet, as I find the entire Fishing Hamlet to be a massive jump in difficulty from the rest of the DLC. The duel in the Astral Clocktower feels like a conclusion itself, and I think that's what they meant when they said they combined 2 DLC into one with this. I could see the current DLC ending there, and then Fishing Hamlet being added later with an entrance over at Byrgenwerth or something. (And maybe one or two bosses added)

The addition of actual NPC stories is great, and I love the new weapons and spells. I'm running an Arcane Build with Kirkhammer and the new Moonlight Sword. I love the new shield, it compliments my regular Shotgun well. The new spells that are basically a Great Fireball and Soul Arrow really round out the Arcane Build and makes it very viable. The fact that you can have both of those spells at your fingertips WHILE using a shield and an (untransformed) moonlight greatsword gives you SO much versatility. I have soul arrow on my SQUARE attack, and the Dark Fireball on the first slot of my Touchpad menu, with a few extra spells on my Square slots so I can swap to them when needed. It basically means I can pull out a range of abilities and fight from range while not needing to drop my shield and basically overpower enemies that gave me trouble before.

I'm running the chalice dungeons before I try again to fight Orphan of Kos again and the additions to my arsenal, as well as the addition of NPC's to the chalice dungeons REALLY help break up what used to be a huge slog of monotony. I basically blasted my way through Pthumeru 3 and the new spells, shield, and sword are making Ailing Loran a breeze. I can fight spiders at a distance and fight while backing down when too many strong enemies are following me, or I can ambush them from a safe distance. It feels like it really rounds out my playstyle and allows me to have actual fun with the chalice content.

My current playthrough is basically doing the main game up to mergo's loft, with pthumeru 1 and 2, and both hintertombs before Rom, and then after mergo's wet nurse I do the dlc up until after Maria, then I do the rest of the chalices, then Orphan of Kos, then I go to the final bosses. Because of the new gear from the DLC, I don't need to power level to beat the chalices. I can back off and still put on an offensive, and the npc summons help out in troubled floors. It feels much more fast paced and way less tedious.

I've been playing BB since launch and plat'ed it a long time ago. So why would people want to commit suicide in front of the doll?

I think it's also possible to PVP in front of the doll in some really unusual circumstances. (If you back out of the final-final boss battle, I think?)

Kusagari

Some of these old hunter npcs are laughably bad.

I found this one called Madras in the Forbidden Woods and summoned him. He literally died within 5 seconds of engaging Shadows of Yharnam.

I just started laughing. Maybe he's more useful on your first play through.

NEO0MJ

I've been playing BB since launch and plat'ed it a long time ago. So why would people want to commit suicide in front of the doll?

People suicide for their waifu, it's nothing new.

Some of these old hunter npcs are laughably bad.

I found this one called Madras in the Forbidden Woods and summoned him. He literally died within 5 seconds of engaging Shadows of Yharnam.

I just started laughing. Maybe he's more useful on your first play through.

I always wonder if they scale summons up in NG+ in this game or not. I remember how the summons become progressively less and less useful with each NG+ in DaS.

watdaeff4

After playing the DLC Im guessing they exited the game after leveling up (I do often) and as a nod to what happened with
Maria committing suicide
it's a nod to that

Sanctuary

Was considering picking this up today, although conditionally.
What is the recommended level to start this based off of a new character? I really don't want to slog through the majority of the main game with the same limited selection of weapons, only to be prepared to access DLC that is overall shorter, but ends up giving you a sea of new options to play with compared to vanilla. That just seems backwards to me.

NEO0MJ

After playing the DLC Im guessing they exited the game after leveling up (I do often) and as a nod to what happened with
Maria committing suicide
it's a nod to that

They've been doing it before the DLC hit, though.

Well, other than Black Iron Tarkus, anyway.

Obligatory.

tumblr_ndyb24Zhwv1rwkq31o1_1280.png

What is the recommended level to start this based off of a new character? I really don't want to slog through the majority of the main game with the same limited selection of weapons, only to be prepared to access DLC that is overall shorter, but ends up giving you a sea of new options to play with compared to vanilla. That just seems backwards to me.

I think it was 60-80.

The good news though is that even if the area in general is too much at your current level there's a decent number of weapons that can be found just by running around without having to fight anything.

Edit: Looked up how many can be found in the first area without beating the boss. You have access to 4 weapons without fighting a thing, and two more that require you to beat strong hunters.

myco666

lvl65 is what is recommended from developers and Sony. I think entering at 40-50 is totally fine as long as you keep leveling as you go through it. You can get five or six new weapons without having to kill anything so there are few options right away when the DLC unlocks.

Top Bottom