• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Xux

Cool, thanks.

Is that weapon as cool as it looks?
It's pretty neat. I'm a fan of the Kirkhammer and it's like an exaggeration of that.
I'm a decent player and I can't conceive how people beat that fight :) the lunge attack has INSANE reach. They never stop hitting. In NG+ almost all their attacks are near one shot. I just didn't get it!
Yeah, I'm on NG+ and that attack is silly; it's also funny running in and out of their range and baiting three or four follow up swings on their combo. I don't think I used a shaman blade at least not on my successful attempt. I think I just got the non-anchor one kinda stuck on the pillar and wittled away at the anchor one before the other one got close.

Kieli

I know I sound salty as hell and that I should git gud, but I feel like there's a threshold of difficulty.

Past it, and I won't even bother being honorable. I'll cheese the ever-living fudge outta the enemy. The big shark fishes have achieved that threshold.

Fhtagn

I know I sound salty as hell and that I should git gud, but I feel like there's a threshold of difficulty.

Past it, and I won't even bother being honorable. I'll cheese the ever-living fudge outta the enemy. The big shark fishes have achieved that threshold.

Have you seen Lobos fist only them? They are manageable with the right approach. I do think you are supposed to shaman blade them though, especially if like me you find that area by getting past the winter lanterns and see that there are two before engaging them.

Kieli

Have you seen Lobos fist only them? They are manageable with the right approach. I do think you are supposed to shaman blade them though, especially if like me you find that area by getting past the winter lanterns and see that there are two before engaging them.

That's how I first found them. I was trying to get the one on the roof, but I couldn't hit him lol.

ramyeon

Not having any issues with the difficulty so far - it feels alright if on the easy side (Though I am level 120 and on my first play through save). Beat every boss so far first time solo besides
Ludwig
since I was a little rusty. Really loving the Rakuyo and Bowblade - well fight isn't half as bad as I expected from what I'd heard.

I gotta stop for now. I'm getting annoyed with Ludwig (NG+). The good news is that I can consistantly get him below half HP, after switching from the Holy Blade +10 to the Whirligig +8. The Hold L2 attack really fucking wrecks him.

Is there a good place to farm chunks so I can level the pizza cutter up to +10?

cheesekao

I gotta stop for now. I'm getting annoyed with Ludwig (NG+). The good news is that I can consistantly get him below half HP, after switching from the Holy Blade +10 to the Whirligig +8. The Hold L2 attack really fucking wrecks him.

Chalice dungeon depth 5 brainsuckers.

You can also farm the yahargul wolves or gargoyles with eye runes but those take forever.

gogosox82

Other than chalice dungeons, the wolves in upper cathedral ward drop them.

I made it to Ludwig, but somehow missed finding the Whirligig. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly, there's a lantern in the church just before Ludwig (just past the huge blood pool with the two giant enemies). In the church is a downward staircase that leads to a small area with a Hunter and some goodies. On top of a big overturned tombstone is the Whirligig. You probably saw it earlier but were unable to reach it.

Just got the Bloodborne platinum trophy and what a mess FROM,

if you are going for platinum and have a characher started before patch 1.07 the Hunter's Essence (acquire all hunter weapons) trophy is glitched, but there is a fix,

from reddit:
If you're like me and started a character before patch 1.07 and decided to come back and try to get all the weapons before the DLC launched, you might find that the Hunter's Essence trophy won't pop. I checked, double checked, and triple checked that I had all the weapons and still no trophy. Luckily, some people over at GameFAQs found a fix so I didn't have to make a new character and start from scratch. And it's a pretty easy fix too.

THE FIX: Go to the messenger bath and re-purchase the Saw Cleaver, Hunter Axe, and Threaded Cane. This will make the trophy pop. I have no idea why, but it does. Hope this helps somebody out there. Happy hunting!

EDIT: Some people are reporting that going into NG+ and getting the regular Torch (not the Hunter's Torch) again is making the trophy pop. I can't confirm this for myself but if the above fix doesn't work for you this is something you can try.

2AdEPT

Decided to finish the DLC today and got OoK and Laurence on the third try each. I had a much harder time with Ludwig and Maria. I guess the extra levels help quite a bit. HIt Ludwig at level 85 or so, Maria at 100 and the last two at 140.

Really impressed with the DLC. It was fun and had great lore connections...lots of cool new weapons and a few secret item finds etc. Very deserving of GOTY. I think I might do an all arcane build now after doing BOM for the original playthrough and Bloodtinge chikage for the DLC.

I'm a decent player and I can't conceive how people beat that fight :) the lunge attack has INSANE reach. They never stop hitting. In NG+ almost all their attacks are near one shot. I just didn't get it!

Just use the space better?

cheesekao

Thanks!

I haven't done anything beyond a 3-floor chalice dungeon as of yet. Is there a specific chalice I need to get one of those?
You need to clear all non-root chalice dungeons sans the hintertomb and make a root chalice with rotted, fetid and cursed offerings.

This guide from /vg/ should help you.

Yq31gU5.jpg

neoism

go the long way around and use the opening in front of the latter and use the bow long range... you can kill both without getting touched....
the shaman bones work good on them also..

gunbo13

Funny story. I was ready to come on gaf with a lot to bitch about. I'm currently in the research building after beating Ludwig. Ludwig is the interesting part.

My character for the DLC was my main, who was sitting on NG+4. Making a longer story shorter, for some reason (maybe too much time away from the game and not reading about it much) I did not think the DLC scaled; like the chalice dungeons. So to make vanilla more challenging I was doing light armor runs. I started off the DLC in the same way wearing my fashionable noble dress, Arianna's shoes, a dusty hat, and white gloves. It was tough with the new DLC regulars but not crazy tough, until I got to Ludwig. He was a damn tear, having at least 4 one-shots on me forcing me to actually change my armor, where he still had 3 one-shots. I thought, this DLC is impossible!

Bird brain I am. Of course the DLC scales and I spent way too many hours beating Ludwig on NG+4. I watched a YT video of him on regular post beating him after I realized this and just laughed in horror of my mistake. I will have a lot to say about OH after I'm done and I'm late to it cause I barely have any time these days to play games. But damn if I didn't start things out with the most asinine line of thinking possible.

TLDR, thought I was playing on regular and cursing From staff for making an absolutely brutal DLC, yet was on NG+4.

myco666

if you are going for platinum and have a characher started before patch 1.07 the Hunter's Essence (acquire all hunter weapons) trophy is glitched, but there is a fix,

from reddit:

Yeah they should get that fixed. Worked fine prior to the patch. Luckily it isn't glitched so that you would have to start a new character.

Sayad

Helped a friend with the defiled Watchdog, he told me he's having problems because the boss is glitched. When I joined him, the boss animation would freeze for one or two seconds every now and then, yet his hitboxes and special effects would move about normally. He does his charge attack while standing, get stagger while his attacks animation keep going(without hitboxes) and you see the special effect for when he charge his explosion attack while he's walking in his place.

We took him down on the second try, but damn that was some weird ass glitch!

Hey, haven't been keeping up. If I'm at
wet nurse
can I access the DLC? I don't know if later game stuff locks me out from being able to use it.

Sayad

Hey, haven't been keeping up. If I'm at
wet nurse
can I access the DLC? I don't know if later game stuff locks me out from being able to use it.
You can, you'd only miss some Hunters Dream dialogue from the doll if you do the DLC stuff after killing MWN, that's about it.

NEO0MJ

Helped a friend with the defiled Watchdog, he told me he's having problems because the boss is glitched. When I joined him, the boss animation would freeze for one or two seconds every now and then, yet his hitboxes and special effects would move about normally. He does his charge attack while standing, get stagger while his attacks animation keep going(without hitboxes) and you see the special effect for when he charge his explosion attack while he's walking in his place.

We took him down on the second try, but damn that was some weird ass glitch!

As expected from the B team. Can't wait for the A team with Dark Souls III.

from reddit:

I can confirm this works. If the trophy isn't unlocking just rebuy a primary weapon at the bath.

zma1013

Made a new character and currently using the flamesprayer and tonitrus and I'm just wrecking everything. What's better, the flamesprayer or the rosemarus?

Sayad

As expected from the B team. Can't wait for the A team with Dark Souls III.
NEO0MJ pls. ლ(。-﹏-。 ლ)

I'm loving going through random CRF chalice dungeons! Them being locked behind, like, five or so boring ass dungeons is the worst thing about CDs.

Made a new character and currently using the flamesprayer and tonitrus and I'm just wrecking everything. What's better, the flamesprayer or the rosemarus?
Rosemaru have much better damage output, though at the start of the game you're mostly fighting beasts so the flamesprayer seem better than it really is.

addyb

Finished the dlc last week and decided to finally start ng+. In between I've been reading loads of H.P.Lovecraft work. It's insane how bloodborne has the same kind of idea as what was in this guys head. I can't remember but has Miyazaki ever mentioned he takes inspiration from lovecraft?

Reading his work has got me thinking. Are there any other books out there that are in anyway similar to the souls games.

myco666

Wow Laurence is a total joke with +10 Whirligig Saw at 50 Str on NG. His health bar just melts away with that thing.

Finished the dlc last week and decided to finally start ng+. In between I've been reading loads of H.P.Lovecraft work. It's insane how bloodborne has the same kind of idea as what was in this guys head. I can't remember but has Miyazaki ever mentioned he takes inspiration from lovecraft?

Reading his work has got me thinking. Are there any other books out there that are in anyway similar to the souls games.

I don't remember him saying that he would have taken inspiration from Lovecraft but this game is Lovecraft all over and there is no way he wouldn't have taken inspiration from Lovecrafts works.

gunbo13

So the DLC completely screws over people with NG+ characters, especially mine at NG+4. The regular enemies I can do a paper armor run but the bosses have insane health, doing insane damage.

Look at this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhOPGPKSPM

Here is some noob normal run for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgyDyvk4ng

It is nuts. He is crazy aggressive, does massive damage, and has what 300-400k healthy with NG+4?

From should have given an option to play the DLC on normal difficulty for people with characters far into the depths, just like chalice scaling.

EDIT:
DLC will be way less enjoyable for me than others. Bad design.

ScribbleD

Has anyone in NA gotten their theme for the platinum yet? I remember hearing From would release more information about that around the time of the Old Hunters launch, but I haven't heard a peep about it since.

myco666

So the DLC completely screws over people with NG+ characters, especially mine at NG+4. The regular enemies I can do a paper armor run but the bosses have insane health, doing insane damage.

Look at this shit:

It is nuts. He is crazy aggressive, does massive damage, and has what 300-400k healthy with NG+4?

From should have given an option to play the DLC on normal difficulty for people with characters far into the depths, just like chalice scaling.

EDIT:

They scale pretty much the same as main game bosses. Bosses in the main game also do insane amounts of damage and have insane amounts of health when in NG+ and beyond.

neoism

Look at this shit:

EDIT:
its like this in all soul like games... did you do what most of gaf does... nub your character by stopping at a stupid low level to make the game harder than it should be... i wouldnt play ng++++ until i was lv500+...

its like this in all soul like games... did you do what most of gaf does... nub your character by stopping at a stupid low level to make the game harder than it should be... i wouldnt play ng++++ until i was lv500+...

Well, sort of. Bloodborne's a bit unique in that the NG+ scaling isn't a universal modifier, it's actually applied differently based on how far into the game the content is: enemies at the beginning of the game get huge modifiers, while enemies at the end of the game get pretty piddly gains, basically with the intent of making the entire game more or less on the same "level" as the player when they enter NG+.

The DLC seems to be scaled as if it were an early-game area, even though it's more similar to the late-game optional areas in level, so the enemies there actually probably are the most dangerous in the game on NG+.

krakov

The difference between a well planned BL 100 and BL 500 is pretty miniscule to be honest. Of course you have more options though.

GeeTeeCee

Beat
Orphan of Kos
on the second attempt a few minutes ago with only one vial left, and I'm still shaking from the stress. Had one horrible moment near the end of the fight where I got caught by a combo and dodged out of a hit which if it had been a few pixels closer would have shaved off the last pip of health I had left.

Anyhing left to do at the
beach
once you've beaten
OoK
?

Not sure whether to press my luck further tonight and go up against
Lawrence
, or wait until I've calmed down. Bloodborne pls.

laxu

The issue is really the attribute caps. I would guess that in NG+4 you'd have everything pretty much at least to 50 since I'm close to that on NG+ already. I kinda wish they raised the caps in NG+ cycles so it's impossible to built a completely overpowered character but you can still kinda get the same experience instead of absurd enemy health bars and damage to player whereas you can't make anywhere near as hard hits.

Personally I don't think I want to go beyond NG+. Even with a 50/40/50/50/40/50 character with 22% gems I had serious trouble with OoK and Laurence. By comparison the second chalice dungeon Abhorrent Beast was nowhere near as bad.

Beat
Orphan of Kos
on the second attempt a few minutes ago with only one vial left, and I'm still shaking from the stress. Had one horrible moment near the end of the fight where I got caught by a combo and dodged out of a hit which if it had been a few pixels closer would have shaved off the last pip of health I had left.

Anyhing left to do at the
beach
once you've beaten
OoK
?

Not sure whether to press my lick further tonight and go up against
Lawrence
, or wait until I've calmed down. Bloodborne pls.
Did you
kill the shadow
? If you did, than there's nothing left at the
coast

gunbo13

They scale pretty much the same as main game bosses. Bosses in the main game also do insane amounts of damage and have insane amounts of health when in NG+ and beyond.
In normal play you get to experience bosses in vanilla, NG, NG++, etc... For DLC, I can only play NG+4. It is disappointing.
I don't keep up on trends. I played one character all the way to the middle story of NG+4. I don't have time to create a new one or manage character to "prep" for DLC.

I just wanted to play the DLC on normal and then higher levels if I wanted. I guess that's asking for too much flexibility in a souls game, but it completely screws my experience over.
The DLC seems to be scaled as if it were an early-game area, even though it's more similar to the late-game optional areas in level, so the enemies there actually probably are the most dangerous in the game on NG+.
Normal enemies in DLC on NG+4 are tough but very beatable. The bosses though...are insane. The hardest chalice bosses are easier then DLC bosses on NG+4.

Wait.

...is the One Reborn an attempt to bring back OoK?

Considering the Hunter's Nightmare is a nightmare of things that have already happened, it's one of the only dead Great Ones that it would make sense to try and bring back.

myco666

In normal play you get to experience bosses in vanilla, NG, NG++, etc... For DLC, I can only play NG+4. It is disappointing.

I don't keep up on trends. I played one character all the way to the middle story of NG+4. I don't have time to create a new one or manage character to "prep" for DLC.

I just wanted to play the DLC on normal and then higher levels if I wanted. I guess that's asking for too much flexibility in a souls game, but it completely screws my experience over.

Well there is a problem on how it would be implemented for you to go back in NG cycles. You could have easily just roll a new character and rush your way through NG to access the DLC. Takes 2-3 hours to get to the DLC with +9 weapons and around lvl50 character which would be fine for the DLC. I get that isn't what you want but it is still okay option. I assume you could also just ask someone for a character that is already properly leveled etc. for the DLC.

gunbo13

Well there is a problem on how it would be implemented for you to go back in NG cycles. You could have easily just roll a new character and rush your way through NG to access the DLC. Takes 2-3 hours to get to the DLC with +9 weapons and around lvl50 character which would be fine for the DLC. I get that isn't what you want but it is still okay option. I assume you could also just ask someone for a character that is already properly leveled etc. for the DLC.
Honestly I'm just so sick of the non-DLC that I don't want to go back. It's just a shame that a character I put so much time into is a liability to enjoying DLC. DLC should not endorse starting the game over. Just my opinion; it is bad design even if it is common for the series. And I am a big fan of DeS & BB.

Top Bottom