• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

After hours of Chalice Dungeon farming, I can safely say that the discovery stat does not effect item rarity at all, I spent over 150 hours in the Chalice Dungeons for over 10 characters, the discovery stat only changes the drop rate.

Eh, that's not proper research. Also some of the advise/info you post here is bad (30 end over 50 vit) so I doubt the credibility.

From the lamp, cross the bridge, continue forward, turn to your left when you see some yellow (?) flowers and go over them, you'll be in a village, go to your left (without actually entering the village area), continue forward and you'll see the swamps.

Ah, thanks. I found it. I had no idea where it was because in my first playthrough I just stumbled on it by accident, and by the time I got to the Witch boss fight, I already did this part.

Alo0oy

Banned
Eh, that's not proper research. Also some of the advise/info you post here is bad (30 end over 50 vit) so I doubt the credibility.

I'll happily debate the value of stamina with you if you want.

Too many people run around with LHB with 20 end & run out of stamina after two swings, out of the 10 characters I made, most of them actually had 20-25 end, until I saw the light, the minor health increase from 40 to 45-50 is just not worth it, with higher stamina you can get more swings in & you can save yourself from getting hit, it's especially useful for Old Hunter Bone users, you only get ~150 extra HP from 40 vit to 50 vit, while the stamina increase from 20 to 30 is HUGE & will save your life more than the ~150 HP points will, which you can get more than twice as much with just runes anyway.

I stopped playing Bloodborne in the Summer, but after going back to it with the release of the DLC, it seems that people stopped running around with no Stamina & realized how powerful high stamina actually is compared to the minor health increase you get from vit.

Gbraga

Ah, thanks. I found it. I had no idea where it was because in my first playthrough I just stumbled on it by accident, and by the time I got to the Witch boss fight, I already did this part.

It's definitely the most difficult area to memorize in the game. Took me quite some time.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got the platinum back in March, was it? But finally decided it was time to jump back in for the expansion. I was stupidly over leveled (stayed at the end of NG and never bothered to transition to NG+), but still felt disappointed that it was all over in around 5-6 hours across two evening sessions.

Still, it was pretty decent despite the early recycling. Felt weirdly incomplete in places. Boss 3 was just kind of tossed in there seemingly without any context, purpose, or zone to call her own. I'd stack it alongside the Artorias DLC, but far below the Dark Souls 2 DLC trilogy, in overall quality.

Was a nice excuse to dive back in, I guess. Unlike the other Souls games, I don't really see much point to a replay, so getting a final taste was welcome.

Ferr986

Although I dont agree with him about stamina (although that's something very objective and also if its a PvE or PvP char) , I do agree about the discovery thing for what I played.

Oni Jazar

This game. This fucking game.

I wasn't sure what to expect jumping into the DLC at level 128 in NG+. I thought it may be too easy. Actually it's been pretty good. Wasn't dying much at all until the first boss.

I got to him last night and stopped so that I could spend the morning and take him down. I spent over an hour just trying to beat him (and failing). At first I thought he was tough but do-able. Then I was losing hope and started wondering if I would just never beat this DLC. :( It was too much! Wasting all this time and blood vials getting no where! Near the end though I started seeing things in a different light and I just knew I could take him out. Unfortunately I had to leave for work. :( But the good news was even though I spent an hour slamming my head against the boss I wasn't even mad. I was eager for more!

At work I was obsessed thinking about how I wanted to take that fucker down.

After work I rushed back, and took him out after 2 tries.

I love this game.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlXq2f8UIto

Got the platinum back in March, was it? But finally decided it was time to jump back in for the expansion. I was stupidly over leveled (stayed at the end of NG and never bothered to transition to NG+), but still felt disappointed that it was all over in around 5-6 hours across two evening sessions.

Still, it was pretty decent despite the early recycling. Felt weirdly incomplete in places. Boss 3 was just kind of tossed in there seemingly without any context, purpose, or zone to call her own. I'd stack it alongside the Artorias DLC, but far below the Dark Souls 2 DLC trilogy, in overall quality.

Was a nice excuse to dive back in, I guess. Unlike the other Souls games, I don't really see much point to a replay, so getting a final taste was welcome.
Simon informs us that Maria is guarding the secret of the fishing village. It seems either Byrgenwerth or the Healing Church experimented on the the villagers. They were also doing something with Kos. At some point Maria became disenchanted with the Healing Church ( and or Byrgenwerth) and threw her weapon into the well.

Has there been some sort of problem with the co-op servers recently? I haven't had any problems anywhere else in the game for bosses, but for OoK I have been sitting for like ten-fifteen minutes ringing a bell just to try and get help. It's the only place I haven't gotten near immediate responses.

Has there been some sort of problem with the co-op servers recently? I haven't had any problems anywhere else in the game for bosses, but for OoK I have been sitting for like ten-fifteen minutes ringing a bell just to try and get help. It's the only place I haven't gotten near immediate responses.
Earlier I wasn't able to connect online. Maybe related.

Hm. When I rang the small resonant bell I found a beckoned right away, but it took a third person a while to join us. Maybe just not a lot of people playing right now (I blame Star Wars).
There was also a weird thing where I couldn't bring up any random chalice dungeon at the first altar. Never happened before. Probably network related though.

With that talk about Chalice farming I now remember that I should farm the 27% gems for my BT character.

I still use 24-25 gems but I'm too lazy to spent another 3 hours killing the Watchers non-stop... (3 hours because the stamina down gems never drops).

Personally, I just ended up using one weapon with -Kin Damage gems, and another with -Beast Damage gems. Obviously, using a Serrated weapon for the Beasts anyway (Whirligig, at the moment), so why not?

Alo0oy

Banned
What was your other equipment? Your other right hand weapon and your guns? And your hunter tools?

My other weapon is the Church Pick, although it's not properly gemed (that would take me another 20 hours), on my left hand was the pistol & Hunter Torch. My main Hunter tools are Beast Roar, Old Hunter Bone, & Empty Phantasm Shell.

In PvP I only use the Rakuyo & Old Hunter Bone to stay faithful to the character.

My other weapon is the Church Pick, although it's not properly gemed (that would take me another 20 hours), on my left hand was the pistol & Hunter Torch. My main Hunter tools are Beast Roar, Old Hunter Bone, & Empty Phantasm Shell.

In PvP I only use the Rakuyo & Old Hunter Bone to stay faithful to the character.

Sweet thanks. My only other question (I was planning on doing this build as well) is that isn't
Maria
's gun the Evelyn? That would mean being going up to 18 Bloodtinge in replacement of some other stat.

Now, I'd probably go up to 120 to compensate though. So I would switch out Cruel Fate for Noble Scion, bloodtinge would go up to 18, and End would go down to 27.

Stay behind her at her tail and wait for the high jump, when she jumps just stay still. when she lands hit the head it will be right in front you than go back to her tail and repeat. Here is what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVZ9ayLoRE

I defeated her an hour ago lol, now farming ritual blood5 and red jelly in Great Isz for the great Pthumeru Ihyll dungeon and platinum.

Appreciate the tips from everyone. This one ended up doing the trick as I went through the list.

Phew. Just have the last chalice dungeon left.

Alo0oy

Banned
Sweet thanks. My only other question (I was planning on doing this build as well) is that isn't
Maria
's gun the Evelyn? That would mean being going up to 18 Bloodtinge in replacement of some other stat.

Now, I'd probably go up to 120 to compensate though. So I would switch out Cruel Fate for Noble Scion, bloodtinge would go up to 18, and End would go down to 27.

I wanted her to be level 110 because that was the ideal level for PvP, I would have loved to use the Evelyn, but I had to choose between that or level 15 Arcane for the Old Hunter Bone, in the end I decided that the Old Hunter Bone was more important for the cosplay because 90% of the time I'm two handing the Rakuyo.

Ferr986

Personally, I just ended up using one weapon with -Kin Damage gems, and another with -Beast Damage gems. Obviously, using a Serrated weapon for the Beasts anyway (Whirligig, at the moment), so why not?

Ah yes, I have that setup on other builds, but with my pure BT build I only have the Chikage as a melee weapon (I don't like the Bloodletter, sub weapon I have the bow) so I have not much choice (other than keep changing gems before going into an area).

Ah yes, I have that setup on other builds, but with my pure BT build I only have the Chikage as a melee weapon (I don't like the Bloodletter, sub weapon I have the bow) so I have not much choice (other than keep changing gems before going into an area).

Yeah, between the DLC and Chalice Dungeons, hot-swapping gems on one weapon can become a pain. Not so bad if you're just doing the normal story progression, though, since they front-load the Beasts pretty hard at the front and the Kin pretty hard at the back.

I'll happily debate the value of stamina with you if you want.

Too many people run around with LHB with 20 end & run out of stamina after two swings, out of the 10 characters I made, most of them actually had 20-25 end, until I saw the light, the minor health increase from 40 to 45-50 is just not worth it, with higher stamina you can get more swings in & you can save yourself from getting hit, it's especially useful for Old Hunter Bone users, you only get ~150 extra HP from 40 vit to 50 vit, while the stamina increase from 20 to 30 is HUGE & will save your life more than the ~150 HP points will, which you can get more than twice as much with just runes anyway.

I stopped playing Bloodborne in the Summer, but after going back to it with the release of the DLC, it seems that people stopped running around with no Stamina & realized how powerful high stamina actually is compared to the minor health increase you get from vit.

Hey, I don't disagree that going over 20 end is viable in certain scenarios. But especially for skill builds I would argue that if you need 30end + 20% rune, you are doing it wrong. At the end of the day it comes down to preference and play style, so I thought your initial comment ("don't listen to the vit people") is hyperbolic. The difference from 40 to 50 vit is still pretty substantial. Vit is one of the most important stats in this game due to the extreme damage output from chalice gems.

Took on Ludwig for the second time and he was even tougher than the first. I'm guessing it was due to my build which is more of a hybrid Str/Arc this time around as opposed to pure Skl like last time. I was also level 65 which feels fairly low for that fight; his attacks hit hard. The good news is I've been making this build for the Holy Moonlight Sword and now I finally have it! Here's the fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLIewPBK0s

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alright, is there a place I can buy the Japanese Bloodborne Old Hunter Limited Edition that ships to Europe?

Kazaam

Alright, is there a place I can buy the Japanese Bloodborne Old Hunter Limited Edition that ships to Europe?

Got mine, literally an hour ago. It's pretty nice.
1414671_10206930549615560_2073226569_n_zpsedlgeqdz.jpg~original

(sorry for the poor quality photo) Has the Bloodborne The Old Hunters Edition game, DLC soundtrack and a japanese mini-guide. The box has a very nice texture to it and the game and soundtrack are in normal blue plastic cases. I personally bought it through ebay from japanese sellers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes, but that one's quite overpriced. You can find it for almost half that price.

Thanks! Just want to confirm all the physical editions available :)! Where'd you get yours from? Did it come wrapped in plastic?

Alo0oy

Banned
Hey, I don't disagree that going over 20 end is viable in certain scenarios. But especially for skill builds I would argue that if you need 30end + 20% rune, you are doing it wrong. At the end of the day it comes down to preference and play style, so I thought your initial comment ("don't listen to the vit people") is hyperbolic. The difference from 40 to 50 vit is still pretty substantial. Vit is one of the most important stats in this game due to the extreme damage output from chalice gems.

I've tested different builds already, & getting more HP out of runes after level 40 is far more beneficial, outside of the defiled chalice, nothing one shots you in the game in pve, & the extra ~150 HP you get from those ten levels would be the difference between having 20% or 30% remaining HP, with more stamina though, you get far far more dashes & rolls, that's a lot of iFrames, as well as longer stunlock times. PvP usually relies on your skill as a player more than PvE (stats are important too of course), & with more stamina you get better opportunities to utilize your skill.

That's probably why nobody runs around with 20 END anymore, when Bloodborne first came out people treated END like it was Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, that's why people stuck with 20 END for a few months, but once more people started experimenting, more & more people started realizing how important Stamina is in Bloodborne, 10 levels of HP will give you one more hit of survivability, 10 levels of Stamina gives you 5-7 more dashes.

You can make an argument that a 40 END build with BoM would wreck a 50 HP build with potato Stamina.

I don't really know about BL100 or whatever builds since I don't cap mine, but I'm sitting at 80-something VIT and 40 END, and I'd sure like if I could get some more END, honestly.

I run myself out of Stamina basically every time I go in on a boss. Granted, I'm way more aggressive than a lot of people, so your mileage may vary.

I have found that when people invade me I can easily just spam attack them into oblivion. Again, though, we're talking BL300+ PVP, so apropos of nothing.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't really know about BL100 or whatever builds since I don't cap mine, but I'm sitting at 80-something VIT and 40 END, and I'd sure like if I could get some more END, honestly.

I run myself out of Stamina basically every time I go in on a boss. Granted, I'm way more aggressive than a lot of people, so your mileage may vary.

I have found that when people invade me I can easily just spam attack them into oblivion. Again, though, we're talking BL300+ PVP, so apropos of nothing.

Some people are still stuck in their Dark Souls ways of playing Bloodborne, in PvP potato stamina invaders are basically a free win now, Old Hunter Bone + infinite dashing attacks means they can't even touch me.

Not that there's anything wrong with choosing vitality over stamina, I just think people are doing themselves & their builds a disservice with that, Bloodborne's mechanics shine at high END, you get very very little extra HP between level 40 & 50.

Kazaam

Thanks! Just want to confirm all the physical editions available :)! Where'd you get yours from? Did it come wrapped in plastic?

Yes, sealed and wrapped in bubble wrap with no damages to the box. It looks like the person I bought it from on ebay started doing biddings for this product instead of giving a Buy Now option. You should probably be able to find it with a price of 60-70$. But like Ratrat said it's quite expensive and it's just a nice and simple edition of the "Game of the Year" version (quite lacking for a collector's edition). If you're a collector and you need to have it, then sure. If not and you already own it, not really worth it.

Ferr986

I've tested different builds already, & getting more HP out of runes after level 40 is far more beneficial, outside of the defiled chalice, nothing one shots you in the game in pve, & the extra ~150 HP you get from those ten levels would be the difference between having 20% or 30% remaining HP, with more stamina though, you get far far more dashes & rolls, that's a lot of iFrames, as well as longer stunlock times. PvP usually relies on your skill as a player more than PvE (stats are important too of course), & with more stamina you get better opportunities to utilize your skill.

That's probably why nobody runs around with 20 END anymore, when Bloodborne first came out people treated END like it was Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, that's why people stuck with 20 END for a few months, but once more people started experimenting, more & more people started realizing how important Stamina is in Bloodborne, 10 levels of HP will give you one more hit of survivability, 10 levels of Stamina gives you 5-7 more dashes.

You can make an argument that a 40 END build with BoM would wreck a 50 HP build with potato Stamina.

I def got one shotted at the DLC on NG++ in my first run with 40 VIT.

It all boils down about what you want to to with that build, for PvP you're gonna need lots of END and VIT isn't as important, for PvE, and especially coop, I prioritise VIT IMO.

About END usage on PvE, it varies a lot, I can go with 20 END (with Chalice rune) just fine because solo against bosses I play very carefully, so I never run out of stamina.

Coop its different because you can go ham while the boss is distracted, but as I said you also need lots of VIT because of the shitty HP cut down for summons.

In PvP also it's important the playstyle of your adversary, if he's a R1 spammer and has 20 END he's gonna get fucked badly. That doesn't mean a low END player can't match against a high END one if he knows his shit.

Yoshichan

Yes, sealed and wrapped in bubble wrap with no damages to the box. It looks like the person I bought it from on ebay started doing biddings for this product instead of giving a Buy Now option. You should probably be able to find it with a price of 60-70$. But like Ratrat said it's quite expensive and it's just a nice and simple edition of the "Game of the Year" version (quite lacking for a collector's edition). If you're a collector and you need to have it, then sure. If not and you already own it, not really worth it.
Thanks a bunch man. Yeah, collection purposes!

Alo0oy

Banned
I def got one shotted at the DLC on NG++ in my first run with 40 VIT.

It all boils down about what you want to to with that build, for PvP you're gonna need lots of END and VIT isn't as important, for PvE, and especially coop, I prioritise VIT IMO.

About END usage on PvE, it varies a lot, I can go with 20 END (with Chalice rune) just fine because solo against bosses I play very carefully, so I never run out of stamina.

Coop its different because you can go ham while the boss is distracted, but as I said you also need lots of VIT because of the shitty HP cut down for summons.

In PvP also it's important the playstyle of your adversary, if he's a R1 spammer and has 20 END he's gonna get fucked badly. That doesn't mean a low END player can't match against a high END one if he knows his shit.

50 Vit is not going to save you at higher NG+ cycles, 150 extra HP rarely does, you can get ~350 extra HP by equipping two HP runes, THAT might actually save you, meanwhile, your character won't consume more stamina at higher NG+ cycles, it's always the same cost.

At higher NG+ cycles, normal hits two shot you & big/heavy hits one shot you, 50 vit won't make a difference here, 30 END + runes will though.

That's why you have to go 84 VIT.

(I still got one-shot sometimes on NG+4 and by one or two boss attacks in Chalice Dungeons. Fuck you, Cursed Blood-Letting Beast.)

Edit: And still one-shot by plenty of the DLC bosses, of course.

Ferr986

50 Vit is not going to save you at higher NG+ cycles, 150 extra HP rarely does, you can get ~350 extra HP by equipping two HP runes, THAT might actually save you, meanwhile, your character won't consume more stamina at higher NG+ cycles, it's always the same cost.

At higher NG+ cycles, normal hits two shot you & big/heavy hits one shot you, 50 vit won't make a difference here, 30 END + runes will though.

The 10 VIT levels to 50 with the 2 HP runes def helped me on that run, even though you could argue with me that it was only a placebo. It gave me enough boost to never be oneshotted

END won't have helped me because I never ran out of stamina anyways, so I didn't need more. All PvE wise, as I said PvP is another story and END is more important.

KeRaSh

Beat M
aria
on my first try
in coop since I failed solo...
Went to the jext area and completely lost the will to continue. I beat the dicks down in the well without cheesing but the next one up the hill got me every time now. Those enemies are just not fun at all. Not sure if I give it a few more shots or if I'll dick around in the non dlc content some more before putting this game to rest.
Even without beating the dlc I got my money's worth out of this. Still my GOTY.

myco666

That's why you have to go 84 VIT.

(I still got one-shot sometimes on NG+4 and by one or two boss attacks in Chalice Dungeons. Fuck you, Cursed Blood-Letting Beast.)

Edit: And still one-shot by plenty of the DLC bosses, of course.

84? Thats a lot of Vit. Haven't been in NG+4 so can't really say if you would be fine with less but that definitely sounds little bit overkill.

Beat M
aria
on my first try
in coop since I failed sollo...
Went to the jext area and completely lost the will to continue. I beat the dicks down in the well without cheesing but the next one up the hill got me every time now. Those enemies are just not fun at all. Not sure if I give it a few more shots or if I'll dick around in the non dlc content some more before putting this game to rest.
Even without beating the dlc I got my money's worth out of this. Still my GOTY.

You can just run past that one and light the lamp that is there and skip him entirely. There is still bunch of good content that I think you should go for.

Drencrom

Thanks a bunch man. Yeah, collection purposes!

Wait, you're buying it? I thought you were against DLC expansions and wouldn't be buying/playing this.

Either way, glad you changed your mind. The expansion is definitely worth playing you if liked the standalone game.

Yoshichan

Wait, you're buying it? I thought you were against DLC expansions and wouldn't be buying/playing this.

Either way, glad you changed your mind. The expansion is definitely worth playing you if liked the standalone game.
Re-read that post :lol I'm buying all regions, all versions of this game. What I meant by "not supporting" is by not hyping/talking about the game :).

KeRaSh

So I went back in, got to the lamp and snatched the Blood Rock to upgrade my MLGS to +10.
Then I visited OoK a visit and killed it on my second try in coop. It got really close for at one point but managed to heal back up.

Lore spoiler question:

Why is Kos dead at the beach. Was this explained somewhere?

myco666

Throwing myself at Ludwig >lvl40 is really frustrating. Dude kills me so easily and I barely do any damage. Need to really practice my dodging.

So I went back in, got to the lamp and snatched the Blood Rock to upgrade my MLGS to +10.
Then I visited OoK a visit and killed it on my second try in coop. It got really close for at one point but managed to heal back up.

Lore spoiler question:

Why is Kos dead at the beach. Was this explained somewhere?

Kos was either found dead there or Church/Byrgenwerth had killed her(?) and that is the secret they are trying to hide.

RiggyRob

Episode 23, Pimmsy vs DLC 'bosses',
The Great Sharks of the Well
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRG3Tjx2p8

Thought it might be helpful to post how she managed to beat the sharks, it's just a matter of doing it once you know how to.

It's handy knowing that you can use Shaman Bone Blade to turn the second shark against the other, and being able to spam the whip mode of the Threaded Cane is useful after the first one tries and swings at you.

I don't think she actually ended up using the
Rakuyo
after all the trouble she went through to get it.

Top Bottom