• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Man I'm missing a lot I had a BB character at 160 I was at the last Charlice dungeon for the platinum trophy but my HDD died on me lost everything. I want to buy the dlc but I don't feel like starting all over from tth beginning

Now that you know the areas and enemies I promise it won't take you long to get to the end and dlc area.

So the last boss is kicking my ass super hard, I used all of my blood vials on the storage and onlye had 15 for a last battle. I decided that after that fight I'd take a break but for the first time in my life I thought "what if I try to call a fellow hunter?" So I did, someone appeared and it was really helpful even with me in the offensive side... Pity that once the boss lasted only one hit I died, my partner killed the being and I got the "prey slaughtered" message but it didn't count. -_-

So... I have to farm stuff but not now, I'll take a break.

BB is just not as fleshed out as the souls games. Its smaller, there are less stats and builds. The way co-op worked was a nightmare during the first months and go back to HD in order to go to a new area is weird and tiring.

Still, my loot addiction sort of kicked in when I pushed through the Chalice dungeons and all restrictions were gone. The DLC was the reason I grinded Chalice for hours so my char would be properly geared. In the end I played for over 10 hours before even touching the DLC, rekindling the fire so to speak. As for the DLC itself, its indeed a tad short. I think its not longer and let alone better than the Sunken King, but it just has more bosses to tackle.

Bloodborne does not have as much content because it is a game of new ideas. Plays differently, all new aesthetic, weapons function differently, firearms instead of shields, the backstory is unlike anything in the previous games, etc. For this reason the lesser quantity is justified and that its a much more fresh and satisfying experience overall compared to the last Dark Souls game, which really seemed simply like more of the same but not even better.

Still got some flaws, though. PVP and Co-op are handled in a weird way. The Chalice dungeons could have been designed better too, a bit too tedious at the beginning but they still have some of the hardest boss battles ever.

Astral

Well that's the DLC done, was Kos supposed to be hard as I destroyed him on my second/proper go?

Keep at it, unlike most bosses the attack patterns never 'clicked' with me and I found it stupidly hard. Try using the AI help you can summon on the stairs leading to him, it should help you get to at least the second stage with more health vials.

Yeah that's the problem. I'm having a hard time learning his moveset and learning when he's open, unlike Ludwig who once I learned his moves I was dodging all day unless I got greedy. Laurence has such long combo chains that keep fucking me up.

DSmalls84

So I talked to Simon next to the shortcut at the beginning of the DLC and he has not moved from that spot. I defeated
Ludwig
and I went into the cathedral. Apparently I was supposed to see him two more times by now. Is there a dialogue option that stops him from moving?

So I talked to Simon next to the shortcut at the beginning of the DLC and he has not moved from that spot. I defeated
Ludwig
and I went into the cathedral. Apparently I was supposed to see him two more times by now. Is there a dialogue option that stops him from moving?

He appears once in each of the DLC's three areas. I think the only dialogue option that matters is saying something along the lines of "nightmares are fascinating" in the first encounter.

Ludwig

I don't know for sure but I think you must
talk to the head of Ludwig, better if you have a Church outfit, then kill the head, grab the Hole Sword and reload. Simon should be there.
If you did kill the head then go back to that area and look if Simon is there.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ludwig

He only appears next to a lamp in each major zone. Second appearance is right next to the lamp closest to the second boss, and he only appears there once you have gained access to the boss door.

III-V

Ludwig

You will see him two more times. Once after encountering an upcoming fight, and then again towards the end of the DLC. Both instances will be near a lantern.

mitchlol

Currently on my first play through, beat Cleric beast first shot, I made it easy on myself by leveling up a bit before I versed him and made sure I had 20 vials. Father G was harder though as it took me 3 shots before I beat him. Now I'm in the Cathedral and I'm wondering if there is any point on doing the side quest stuff? Like returning the brooch or letting the woman near the dogs know that the Cathedral is a safe place. Do I get anything for doing this or is it all just there to sell the world a little more?

Do you guys ever worry that you might start down a path and end up going deeper than you were meant to or make the mistake of missing a boss?

Novocaine

Any tips for those fish giants? They're total fucking cunts.

Aside from the weapon I need to get off of those I'm done with the DLC. Some pretty cool fights. I really like the Research Hall. Fishing Hamlet is a little annoying. The new weapons and runes have given me an excuse to play for even longer, Moonlight Sword is sick. I think I'll even try and get the Chalice dungeon trophy now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for those fish giants? They're total fucking cunts.
Sneak behind and hit once and run.
Hide and keep the column between yourself and the fish.
Fish will reset and go back to patrolling.
Sneak hit and run again.
Half health he'll walk towards ceiling buddy, so use this time to hit him with bone blade.
Watch them fight each other.
Finish off remaining one.

2AdEPT

I think I wanma start a Bloodtinge build with the Chikage and Repeating Pistol. Tips? Earliest to get the weapons? Should I just run through areas until Cainhurst? What to do?

Yes. run through as best you can and do a complete chikage run klling as few bosses as possible without it.

I was lucky and had saved a couple early toons before the patch that got rid ofthe graveyard skip and I used the echoes glitch to start them out with about 500K echoes and already had the cainhurst summons, Unfortunately, the skip itself was gone when I played one of the characters recently, but my toon still had all the money and it didnt take much to beat the witches second after gascoigne and go striaght to martyr logarius. You will have to kill Vicar amelia I guess and go into the woods in order to get your summons. I simply hired help for logarius after almost beating him a couplde times with the rifle spear. There are some good vdieos to show you how to do it solo but hiring help in this scenario was faster and I wanted to get started as soon as possible. There was lots of help in that location when the DLC released, but perhaps not as much now?

I can say it was almost as fun as my BOM run....the chikage is not as fun a weapon as BOM with the moveset being much more linear, however the added benefit of the bloodtinge is really useful and fun to use. MAke sure to get the
(major bloodtinge accessory spoiler that wrecks stuff)ASAP as well.

Sneak behind and hit once and run.
Hide and keep the column between yourself and the fish.
Fish will reset and go back to patrolling.
Sneak hit and run again.
Half health he'll walk towards ceiling buddy, so use this time to hit him with bone blade.
Watch them fight each other.
Finish off remaining one.

A video of the above strategy

SkylineRKR

You can cheese Defiled Amygdala. Attack its tail, unlocked. When it jumps, stand still. You never get hit. I usually do this for phase 2, while I fight legit ie. go for the head in Phase 1.

What's the lowest recommended level for depth 5 preset dungeons? I've completed all of them with my first character but I was way overleveled.

I think 120-130 or so. That felt challenging to me.

Tingle

The BIGGEST CUNT in the whole game EVEN WITH THE DLC is Defiled Amygdala.

FUCK THIS SHIT :mad:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

My best advice is to use a weapon like the whip which has a broad reach. Even if she raises her arms, I can always hit them, which makes the fight easier. Try to pick on one arm so it "breaks", you'll deal more damage to that arm until she heals it.

If she jumps, stand still. Unless you were against a wall, she shouldn't hit you.

Buff your weapon, it makes the fight go faster. Maybe use beast pellets too.

Equip your highest stamina and health up ruins. The health ups are obvious, the stamina ups are to do more damage, seeing how the fight can go on pretty long, it does really make a significant contribution.

I would advise against summoning. People tend to die, and it just adds so much health to her already large pool. If you need to summon, really really don't summon 2 people. Someone will die, and the fight will be a long, long pain.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

What weapon are you using? My preferred strategy is to make sure I have lots of room behind me to back away, and bait her attacks where she drops her head down, then punish that. Some of her attacks have her flail her arms around a bit and then she drops her head down, some don't, usually just stay back until you know the head's coming down, get one good hit (or two if a fast enough weapons, almost never three though) on the head, and repeat. At some point you'll get a visceral for sure.

A weapon with a good vertical hit is helpful. Because if your timing isn't perfect, you might whiff with a smaller-ranged weapon, but with, say, Ludwig's transformed L2, you can still catch the head even as it's being raised again.

The last phase where she tears off her arms and spams the jump, however, is kind of a crapshoot. :( If you have strong ranged attacks like a cannon (+ bone marrow ash) or arcane spells, you can stay back and finish her off with it sometimes, but that's not always possible.

Bruzur

Neo Member
What can I do during Laurence's third phase? I feel too scared to approach him.

Personally, I believe this phase to be the easiest of the three.
Reason being: You can quickly bait his crawling slash attacks and ground-pound moves by approaching his larger arm. Then, once he's on the move - dash through to the left (towards his smaller arm, avoiding the AoE damage) and get a couple of hits before he "resets" for the quick slash move, or the falling lunge that he does. Rinse and repeat.
Alternatively, keeping your distance can often bait out the lava spray from his mouth - which is also beneficial. Abuse that privilege similarly to the process with
Ludwig
, and get close enough to punish him before he finishes.
And once he begins to charge with the ground-pound, you can circle from the inside (closer to the smaller arm) narrowly chasing his backside for some cheeky shots.

I'm sure that's all common sense, but when you think about it...
Laurence
is surprisingly easy (after you've removed his legs).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, this was the boss that gave me the most problems as well in the entire game. Probably sunk 2 hours and thirty attempts on it. I read that you can stick close to the legs during the later phases to force it to jump away(constant loop), but that strategy never seemed to work for me.

I just ended up conditioning myself to its reach(especially when it has the extended arm clubs) and getting a good feel for the timing between strikes to rush in and swipe its head after slam attacks. Basically circling the room to keep just enough distance to goad its slams without getting caught or being too far away to cause it to leap. Tricky, but once you get into a rhythm, it feels awesome just wrecking it down. Still, due to immense power and lower health, you can get decimated with even a minor mistake, so its a real tough fight regardless. Too many failures were due to it nailing me with 1-shot bashes for slightly misjudging my distance(cheap!)

Definitely felt Amygdala was the real challenge of Defiled. The Watchdog was SUPER easy despite all the bickering. That boss has simple patterns and telegraphs like crazy for easy avoidance. I decimated that thing on a first attempt, but Amygdala almost had me reconsidering platinum until I finally pulled through.

Edit: Oh I guess people just cheesed Amygdala with ranged...well I did her in with my cane like a man.

squidyj

I'm going to tell you guys the truth about amygdala.

1. stand at medium range, this is generally just outside of swipe range in phase 1
2. wait for amygdala to start an attack that will leave it's head down

most of the time you just dodge in towards his head and you win the video game.
the key to this is not standing so far out that you can't get on top of his head quickly
the key to THIS is not fearing his swipes, particularly his extra long phase 3 swipes and dodging into them like a boss.
the key to THIS is recognizing just how fucking telegraphed those swipes are.

Jamiaro

Yea, this was the boss that gave me the most problems as well in the entire game. Probably sunk 2 hours and thirty attempts on it. I read that you can stick close to the legs during the later phases to force it to jump away(constant loop), but that strategy never seemed to work for me.

I just ended up conditioning myself to its reach(especially when it has the extended arm clubs) and getting a good feel for the timing between strikes to rush in and swipe its head after slam attacks. Basically circling the room to keep just enough distance to goad its slams without getting caught or being too far away to cause it to leap. Tricky, but once you get into a rhythm, it feels awesome just wrecking it down. Still, due to immense power and lower health, you can get decimated with even a minor mistake, so its a real tough fight regardless. Too many failures were due to it nailing me with 1-shot bashes for slightly misjudging my distance(cheap!)

Definitely felt Amygdala was the real challenge of Defiled. The Watchdog was SUPER easy despite all the bickering. That boss has simple patterns and telegraphs like crazy for easy avoidance. I decimated that thing on a first attempt, but Amygdala almost had me reconsidering platinum until I finally pulled through.

Edit: Oh I guess people just cheesed Amygdala with ranged...well I did her in with my cane like a man.

I remember spending about an hour with Defiled Amygdala. In the end, I just stayed behind her with my Ludwig-butterknife and chipped away at its crab-like tail-thingy OR one its hanging arms. When phase 3 started, I just stayed behing it, forcing it to jump again and relocate. At each landing, I took a swing. The fight took SOOOOO looong... Since that I`ve learned to bait attacks from the front and go for the head.

Mutombo

What can I do during Laurence's third phase? I feel too scared to approach him.

it took me about 40 tries to realize that you can pretty much hug his left side without any problems. Spoilers for Laurence here:

It took me about 10 more tries after that to kill him. I finally killed him. Laurence is such a cunt. When you hug his left side, it's okay to get a few hits in, but you need to roll backwards, bait a hit, roll left again and continue hug his left side and hit.

Others have said to wait for his lava spew and sprint forward and hit, but after a while it's just a matter of time for me before I hit the lava, get stunned, and get smashed and have to start all over again.

The hard thing about his legless phase is that you can't really roll to his left, because you'll hit lava, which is what you would want to do. Rolling back might result in getting stuck in one of his combo attacks, which is something you don't want either.

L got to the point, that each time when his last phase started, my heart started pounding up in my neck. And that moment when you realize you are still alive and he has only 2 or three hits, holy shit. That stress took a year off my life, I can tell ya.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My best advice is to use a weapon like the whip which has a broad reach. Even if she raises her arms, I can always hit them, which makes the fight easier. Try to pick on one arm so it "breaks", you'll deal more damage to that arm until she heals it.

If she jumps, stand still. Unless you were against a wall, she shouldn't hit you.

Buff your weapon, it makes the fight go faster. Maybe use beast pellets too.

Equip your highest stamina and health up ruins. The health ups are obvious, the stamina ups are to do more damage, seeing how the fight can go on pretty long, it does really make a significant contribution.

I would advise against summoning. People tend to die, and it just adds so much health to her already large pool. If you need to summon, really really don't summon 2 people. Someone will die, and the fight will be a long, long pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSYndgsnUA

You just stand in front of that amygdala and you tell him "No"
Cheese is for mice. Are you a man? or a mouse?

Hug his/her butt like there is no tomorrow.

What weapon are you using? My preferred strategy is to make sure I have lots of room behind me to back away, and bait her attacks where she drops her head down, then punish that. Some of her attacks have her flail her arms around a bit and then she drops her head down, some don't, usually just stay back until you know the head's coming down, get one good hit (or two if a fast enough weapons, almost never three though) on the head, and repeat. At some point you'll get a visceral for sure.

A weapon with a good vertical hit is helpful. Because if your timing isn't perfect, you might whiff with a smaller-ranged weapon, but with, say, Ludwig's transformed L2, you can still catch the head even as it's being raised again.

The last phase where she tears off her arms and spams the jump, however, is kind of a crapshoot. :( If you have strong ranged attacks like a cannon (+ bone marrow ash) or arcane spells, you can stay back and finish her off with it sometimes, but that's not always possible.

Bloodtinge builds laugh at Amygdala, Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash or Bowblade = dead. Anything that can reliably hit the face, really. OoK is way more of a pain.

Aaaaand in my first re-attempt of the day I beat him like a champ. Really surprised at how smooth it went,I only healed like three times total O_O

Bloodborne, you can be such a crazy mistress sometimes!

Derpot

Defiled Amygdala? Pfffffft.

Nah. You know what's worse?

Defiled Bloodletting Beast with poison everywhere in the arena.

The worst shit.

laxu

Queen Yharnam
was so easy with even the post-patch Pizza Cutter. Could really do nothing, took two stamina bars of two handed L2.

Now I'm farming chunks and gems so that I can try more +9 weapons. There are so many fun ones, now I'm rocking the
Amygdalan Arm
and trying out the
Kos Parasite
, which I can't seem to get to make enough damage even with my best arcane gems and +8 in NG+. It's also not very good for combos but looks super cool.

Beast Cutter is pretty great against any Merciless Watchers as you can stay out of their range and hit them reasonably hard.

I really don't like that some of the best runes can only be found in random chalice dungeons. I would prefer the game gave you those by just going thru all the fixed ones.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone willing to help me out clearing Ihyll? Don't really care about materials... just finishing it up as fast as possible.

The glyph is kecz and the pass is gafhunt, all small letters. My PSN is Laughing Banana.

Moaradin

Just finished the DLC. Great stuff. Was actually longer than I expected to be. Thought it would be about done after the second area lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I used a beast pellet on the boss. That+pizza cutter is insane. For the Moonlight I still need to farm Amy's gems :(

I'm ringing btw, seems to take a while with the Short ritual.

Sorry I died :/ bahh that rolling fatass... ringing again.

Boss door unlocked hahaha. Just go to it :)

Top Bottom