• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Tevious

I didn't have time to play this when it first came out, so just getting into it recently. Ludwig was pretty tough. I really enjoyed the Research Hall. It reminded me of both the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls and the Duke's Archives from Dark Souls, although the bosses weren't too difficult. Just wrapped up the Fishing Hamlet area and defeated Orphan of Kos on my second try. That was intense! I used up all my vials on him.

myco666

Decided to dive into Chalices again. Last time I played them was back when the game released and went for the Platinum Trophy. They aren't even that bad as I remembered but probably won't be going through them again that soon. Uploaded some fights on YT. That Keeper fight was pretty great and when it glitched I bursted out laughing. Looks so stupid.

All Ihyll bosses
Isz Ebrietas
Ailing Loran Abhorrent Beast
Glitching the Keeper fight

Finally finished the Research Hall, goooodddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum y'all.

I was loving the area already, but holy shit
these boss fights were amazing. Even the gimmicky easy fight was fun as hell, when the fucking Saint Seiya cosmos bullshit filled the screen, I lost it. The music was incredible in both of them as well.

I'm really taking my sweet ass time with this DLC, but it's so worth it. Bloodborne lore is the best.

LF is pretty great. Gameplay wise it is boring but the fight looks and sounds so good (though the sound when you beat it is horrible). Research Hall is easily best area of the DLC.

Gbraga

LF is pretty great. Gameplay wise it is boring but the fight looks and sounds so good (though the sound when you beat it is horrible). Research Hall is easily best area of the DLC.

The fight was very easy, but I actually enjoyed it. It was fun to experiment a bit. They go nuts with Shaman Bone Blades. Not as funny as Celestial Emissary using the same item, though.

I'm playing it on NG+3 for the first time though, so that probably helps, it does seem like they would be too easy to the point of not even being fun in a NG, since they were NG easy on NG+3.

I think I wanma start a Bloodtinge build with the Chikage and Repeating Pistol. Tips? Earliest to get the weapons? Should I just run through areas until Cainhurst? What to do?

myco666

The fight was very easy, but I actually enjoyed it. It was fun to experiment a bit. They go nuts with Shaman Bone Blades. Not as funny as Celestial Emissary using the same item, though.

I'm playing it on NG+3 for the first time though, so that probably helps, it does seem like they would be too easy to the point of not even being fun in a NG, since they were NG easy on NG+3.

Oh SBB works on them? Have to try that. They are easy on any NG but they still do bunch of damage so that you need to be careful.

I think I wanma start a Bloodtinge build with the Chikage and Repeating Pistol. Tips? Earliest to get the weapons? Should I just run through areas until Cainhurst? What to do?

Just run to Cainhurst as fast as you can. ML isn't that bad at low levels if you know the fight. Since you are going for Chikage you can use Skill weapons before getting it so Saw Spear, Rifle Spear, Saif or Cane. You can also use Str weapons since the scaling doesn't really matter that early.

It's a bit bittersweet now that I'm more or less at the end of the content.
[...]
I'm kind of left wondering what the hell in going to do once I'm done. I'm not really into Souls and everything else I've played just makes me wish I was playing BB.

GG FROM SOFTWARE!

In my eyes you have three perfectly valid options:
1) Start a new character focusing on a different build / weapons (again, recommended ones are STR+SKL, BLT+SKL or ARC+STR).
2) Play Dark Souls, IMHO the only game that even compares to Bloodborne (skip DS2 though, while DS1 is universally loved DS2 is very divisive, I for one hate it and will leave it at that). Dark Souls is pretty much like Bloodborne, equally smart, with a bigger and more varied world (dark fantasy instead of gothic/cosmic horror, although it still as monstrosities like the Gaping Dragon), more emphasis on shields and no transforming weapons. The DLC is also great. Honestly it's worth it if only for the scholar/gaming history value of it.
3) Play Demon Souls if you have a PS3, although it's been rumored that a PS4 or PC port is planned so you might want to wait for that instead.

What I did was to pump DEX/VIT/END and use the cane until I got the Chikage. Worked well enough. :) The biggest roadblock will probably be Logarius, but he's very vulnerable to viscerals and with a high DEX you'll do lots of damage.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Be prepared to fight Logarius at a low level if you want the Chikage sooner rather than later. Its not an easy fight but its doable.

If you are absolutely dead set on Bloodtinge mode for Chikage,then level up that Vitality higher than normal.

Yeah, if you want to rush for a Chikage just pump your Skill to the minimum to use it, then start dumping points into VIT/END. You probably won't even get them where you want them to be before you get it, assuming you absolutely rush it by just killing the religious folks. (Father Gascoigne-> Vicar Amelia-> Martyr Logarius)

zsswimmer

I can't even get past the first 5 minutes, those hunters with the sword whip wreck me every time regardless if I get past the first one. They hit sometimes 70% of my health and for some reason the attacks are very hard to read.

I'm running a strength build with a kirkhammer, any tips? I feel like a total noob right about now :'(

I can't even get past the first 5 minutes, those hunters with the sword whip wreck me every time regardless if I get past the first one. They hit sometimes 70% of my health and for some reason the attacks are very hard to read.

I'm running a strength build with a kirkhammer, any tips? I feel like a total noob right about now :'(
What level are you? I think the recommended level is like 60 or 70 for the dlc. Prob underlevel if they are pwning you. Try parrying them?

Foxt3r

Anyone who has actually bought the GotY edition?
I live in a country whith 450 euro average salary. I cant afford to repeat another Borderlands GotY fiasco.

I have it and I'm positive that the dlc it is on the disc. You only have to download a little patch.

DSmalls84

So I just passed through the Blood River and was wondering if I fight Simon do I unlock his weapon? Also is there any downside to fighting him or do I mss any items later?

myco666

So I just passed through the Blood River and was wondering if I fight Simon do I unlock his weapon? Also is there any downside to fighting him or do I mss any items later?

You unlock the weapon from killing him but you also get it as you progress through the DLC. You miss out on bunch of dialog and I think you will miss one key and weapon if you kill him. I would leave him be for now.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
research hall is boring af wtf

I wouldn't quite call it boring, but I wouldn't call it my favorite area of the DLC, either. The atmosphere is decent, the verticality is quite nice and reminds me of both Duke's Archives and Tower of Latria ... but the enemies on the whole were forgettable. It felt more tedious than tense clearing out the area because they rarely posed a threat. The second boss is amazing, though a bit on the easy side, but the first boss is pure crap.

I dunno, I much preferred Fishing Hamlet. Besides the bullshit that is the two Winter Lanterns and shark duo, that area felt quite a bit more interesting and fun for me.

You'll miss out on his story but nothing else.

You unlock the weapon from killing him but you also get it as you progress through the DLC. You miss out on bunch of dialog and I think you will miss one key and weapon if you kill him. I would leave him be for now.

You still get the key in the lighthouse, whether if he's alive or not.

So I finally got far enough into the Fishing Hamlet to be able to cheese the street shark brothers and got the Rakuyo. I now have the gatling gun, bloodletter and bow blade. Is the only thing I need for the weapons trophy Kos' Parasite?

III-V

So I finally got far enough into the Fishing Hamlet to be able to cheese the street shark brothers and got the Rakuyo. I now have the gatling gun, bloodletter and bow blade. Is the only thing I need for the weapons trophy Kos' Parasite?

I already beat them, but how did you cheese these guys? Not many places to hide.

NEO0MJ

I already beat them, but how did you cheese these guys? Not many places to hide.

Simon's Bowblade does crazy damage apparently. Level it up and after killing the Winter Lanterns on the way to the well you can easily snipe them to death from above without going down and endangering yourself.

Fhtagn

You have to buy one from the shop after getting a new badge. I missed that one at first.

As mention ^^ The weapon that you have to buy is the piercing rifle, which requires the firing hammer badge.

III-V

Simon's Bowblade does crazy damage apparently. Level it up and after killing the Winter Lanterns on the way to the well you can easily snipe them to death from above without going down and endangering yourself.

I did not think it would do that much damage from above.

Right before the boss you can access the area that leads to the ledge above them. You can then aim a throwing knife to hit the guy on the other side of the room to aggro him. You're semi safe on the ledge, just be careful of attacks clipping through the floor. A long rangel weapon is key to that spot, I used the canes whip mode.

Xux

The Beast Cutter's so freakin' cool. Wish it was a little stronger but it's definitely my new favorite.

HORRORSHØW

So, which version of Ludwig's Moonlight Blade is considered the best? Or does it not matter?
either regular version for quality builds using scaling/physical gems or lost version for arcane builds using nourishing gems i think.

i have a high-level character (300+) to test things out with and the regular/quality version will out-damage the lost/arcane version almost every time, unless you're dedicated to an arcane build and exclusively using the transformed charged R2s (it does have the highest damage multiplier).

i don't know if it's a glitch, but the absurd scaling of the revamped heavy abyssal gems will take the moonlight sword to an S scaling and you'll see benefits putting points into strength beyond the "hard cap."

that's my take on it, anyway.

Right before the boss you can access the area that leads to the ledge above them. You can then aim a throwing knife to hit the guy on the other side of the room to aggro him. You're semi safe on the ledge, just be careful of attacks clipping through the floor. A long rangel weapon is key to that spot, I used the canes whip mode.

The other entrance right? Is the easiest way without using shaman bones, I wonder why pretty few discovered that other entrance

The other entrance right? Is the easiest way without using shaman bones, I wonder why pretty few discovered that other entrance
Yeah I just finally broke down and just continued going through until I found the other way. Wasn't too bad going in that way, found a Blood Rock on the way too. Fuck those belly flopping things and the ones hiding out in snail shells though. They're not hard, just creepy looking. I guess pretty much all I have to do is beat OOK and Laurence then. Not looking forward to those fights though. I made a Fetid Rotted Lower Hintertomb just to kill time...ugh. It's not impossible so far, just fucking annoying cause you get those Witches of Hemwick as a random enemy and they spawn their monsters.

Well, when your race is endangered you gotta hide your females and the eggs to be fertilized later in a safe place.

I love the detail about the little wanderer female running away from the winter lanters invading the egg nest, she just wanted to pray or escape the breed zone.

Ovek

7Member7
Well that's the DLC done, was Kos supposed to be hard as I destroyed him on my second/proper go?

I'm having zero fun with this Laurence fight. His attacks seem so safe.

Keep at it, unlike most bosses the attack patterns never 'clicked' with me and I found it stupidly hard. Try using the AI help you can summon on the stairs leading to him, it should help you get to at least the second stage with more health vials.

lunlunqq

so I'm trying to make the level with the glyph code but can't, showing that I don't have the requirements. I made cursed loran and was able to search cursed isz btw...

It's a Pthumeru Ihyll dungeon with all 3 modifier enabled. To met the requirement, you will have to be able to create a cursed Ihyll dungeon with both Fetid and Rotten offerings from the Ihyll ROOT chalice.

It's a Pthumeru Ihyll dungeon with all 3 modifier enabled. To met the requirement, you will have to be able to create a cursed Ihyll dungeon with both Fetid and Rotten offerings from the Ihyll ROOT chalice.

soon as i defeated Yharnam, i was able to get the dungeon.

btw what are some good gems for bloodtinge/chikage build?

Beat the Ihyll Chalice and got me that plat!

Ihyll was actually a little easy, most trouble I had was layer 1 boss, layer 2 scared me a bit but once I changed over to LHB and had some more range it was fine. Layer 3 boss was an absolute pushover, so was disappointed with that, even though it was a really cool fight.

I was real happy with beating the watchdog in Defiled though, will have to upload it to YouTube when I can.

Whirligig is definitely my favourite weapon now.

Trakan

I started a new character and intend on using the Holy Moonlight Sword, but I have to get it first. I'm level 33, anyone feel like carrying my ass through the Ludwig fight? lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished the DLC and got all trophies(NG+ playthrough). The shark duo in the well probably was the most difficult part. Did cheese it with a shaman bone, but even the survivor was difficult to down due to the insane reach and suction of the leap attacks.

OoK and Maria were really fun fights, but very similar. Really enjoyed the first fight as well. Laurence was just eh. Way too much HP made it a protracted duel, especially dancing around the flames in the later phases just to try and do a bit of damage. Only fight I used any help on(and didn't realize that you needed to equip a specific rune for an NPC summon until after I stumbled on that tip online between multiple attempts).

New locations were nice, especially the Research tower. Overall felt a bit short given that it didn't feel much larger than a single DS2 DLC. The variety of new weapons were nice, but I just stuck to my Cane+pistol as always(SKL build). Didn't feel up to learning a new moveset anyway.

Overall more solid content. Still feel BB overall is my least favorite of all the Souls-esque games, but still enjoyable and addicting while it lasts. Not much pull for me to run through it again(even to try some unique builds and weapons), but earning all the trophies kept me busy and was a good challenge.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey everyone, quick question --

Anything lost from killing the new NPCs? Specifically, the NPC who appears for the second time near Ludwig's head. I really like his outfit and I want it :/

Thank you :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hey everyone, quick question --

Anything lost from killing the new NPCs? Specifically, the NPC who appears for the second time near Logarius' head. I really like his outfit and I want it :/

Thank you :)

Don't kill him yet. Don't worry, you'll get his stuff. He has a quest near the end of the DLC you can do later on, by killing these various new invaders. You'll know them when you see them. He'll tell you about it too, he'll be near a lamp. Make sure to talk to him when you see him.

edit: And I'm assuming you mean Ludwig.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don't kill him yet. Don't worry, you'll get his stuff. He has a quest near the end of the DLC you can do later on, by killing these various new invaders. You'll know them when you see them. He'll tell you about it too, he'll be near a lamp. Make sure to talk to him when you see him.

edit: And I'm assuming you mean Ludwig.

Yep, thank you :). Game is hard as balls right now -- on NG+++ and things are still one-shotting me ;)

SkylineRKR

Beat the Ihyll Chalice and got me that plat!

Ihyll was actually a little easy, most trouble I had was layer 1 boss, layer 2 scared me a bit but once I changed over to LHB and had some more range it was fine. Layer 3 boss was an absolute pushover, so was disappointed with that, even though it was a really cool fight.

I was real happy with beating the watchdog in Defiled though, will have to upload it to YouTube when I can.

Whirligig is definitely my favourite weapon now.

I love the final chalice boss. Sure its easy, probably one of the easier bosses in the game. But its slower pace is nice for a change. Its an obvious nod to Fool's Idol.

Finished the DLC and got all trophies(NG+ playthrough). The shark duo in the well probably was the most difficult part. Did cheese it with a shaman bone, but even the survivor was difficult to down due to the insane reach and suction of the leap attacks.

OoK and Maria were really fun fights, but very similar. Really enjoyed the first fight as well. Laurence was just eh. Way too much HP made it a protracted duel, especially dancing around the flames in the later phases just to try and do a bit of damage. Only fight I used any help on(and didn't realize that you needed to equip a specific rune for an NPC summon until after I stumbled on that tip online between multiple attempts).

New locations were nice, especially the Research tower. Overall felt a bit short given that it didn't feel much larger than a single DS2 DLC. The variety of new weapons were nice, but I just stuck to my Cane+pistol as always(SKL build). Didn't feel up to learning a new moveset anyway.

Overall more solid content. Still feel BB overall is my least favorite of all the Souls-esque games, but still enjoyable and addicting while it lasts. Not much pull for me to run through it again(even to try some unique builds and weapons), but earning all the trophies kept me busy and was a good challenge.

BB is just not as fleshed out as the souls games. Its smaller, there are less stats and builds. The way co-op worked was a nightmare during the first months and go back to HD in order to go to a new area is weird and tiring. Some choices were odd seing this game came out in the wake of DS2, because DS2 did a few things actually really fucking well. Also, Estus. No more grass or Blood vials in a Souls game ever please.

Still, my loot addiction sort of kicked in when I pushed through the Chalice dungeons and all restrictions were gone. The DLC was the reason I grinded Chalice for hours so my char would be properly geared. In the end I played for over 10 hours before even touching the DLC, rekindling the fire so to speak. As for the DLC itself, its indeed a tad short. I think its not longer and let alone better than the Sunken King, but it just has more bosses to tackle.

SkyB

Banned
Man I'm missing a lot I had a BB character at 160 I was at the last Charlice dungeon for the platinum trophy but my HDD died on me lost everything. I want to buy the dlc but I don't feel like starting all over from the beginning

SkylineRKR

Man I'm missing a lot I had a BB character at 160 I was at the last Charlice dungeon for the platinum trophy but my HDD died on me lost everything. I want to buy the dlc but I don't feel like starting all over from tth beginning

Nothing of it was stored in the cloud?

Top Bottom