• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Dahbomb

It's usually salty Witcher fans when people expose its combat. People assume that if you crap on Witcher combat you must be a Souls fan. Because Souls games are the only games with good combat in them....

And I love Witcher.

chunk3rvd

Doing chalice dungeons on my 2nd play through (already got the platinum). Is there any reason to beat Lower Loran if I don't use crescent gems? I know I need to beat Isz for the red jelly but is there any loot in Lower Loran that makes it worth dealing with the 2 shitty bosses?

Doing chalice dungeons on my 2nd play through (already got the platinum). Is there any reason to beat Lower Loran if I don't use crescent gems? I know I need to beat Isz for the red jelly but is there any loot in Lower Loran that makes it worth dealing with the 2 shitty bosses?

Nothing unless you care about getting the highest Clawmark, Anti-Clockwise, and Beast runes.

gogosox82

Anybody else tired of people shitting on Souls fans in every GOTY threads? In every single GOTY the first complaint is always of someone complaining about those salty Souls fans when those salty posts don't exist, & in the rare occasion that they do, they're vastly outnumbered by posters shitting on Souls fans for being angry.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent.

Agreed. I think I even ranted about this in that unpopular gaming opinions thread. The number of people complaining about souls fans vastly outnumber the souls fans that are actually obnoxious. I actually think the Witcher fans are much worse in this regard but they don't get shit thrown in their face because reasons. I've been trying to avoid most GOTY threads because without fail, someone makes a reference and then before you know it, half the replies are people bandwagoning on that one reply but souls fans are the ones shitting up threads somehow *looks skywards*

Question about Maria...

Does she
have another form or something? I got her down to just a tiny bit of health before she got me. Is there anything besides the regular phase -> blood phase -> fire phase? She's tricky, but I was honestly expecting a more difficult fight.

Question about Maria...

Does she
have another form or something? I got her down to just a tiny bit of health before she got me. Is there anything besides the regular phase -> blood phase -> fire phase? She's tricky, but I was honestly expecting a more difficult fight.
just the fire phase.

The true boss fight is coming up afterwards. "Fear the
fish gaints
"
1098-2.jpg

JAWSOME!!!
So I finally started attempting Orphan of Kos....ugh...I can sort of deal with it, but I always slip up somewhere. Is it weak to any element? Does that thing have a fucking homing projectile? Every time I try to dodge that thing it just tracks me like the buzzsaw disc thing from Predator 2.

The awkward moment when you watch a Vaati video and he exact quote some lore info on the Gaf's Bloodborne lore section in his video.

His wife had a miscarriage. Thats why he's distancing himself from BB for a bit. Makes sense with all the themes of children dying and unborn fetuses in the game. Must have been difficult working on the guide with that hanging over his head. If I were him I would have done the same. If you call that being a drama queen then youve got serious problems.

Oh lord, my condolences for his wife and him.

The awkward moment when you watch a Vaati video and he exact quote some lore info on the Gaf's Bloodborne lore section in his video.

No wonder why I'm starting to prefer Silvermont and will always prefer ENB over him. I need to check Silvermont's channel to see if he did stuff for the dlc.

BizzyBum

Damn, so I guess I can't get the Holy Moonlight Sword now.

It's the only weapon I don't have. I never killed Ludwig's head after the fight and I didn't wear church gear to prompt a dialogue. Now when I go back the head is dead.

Is there another way to get this?

It's the only weapon I don't have. I never killed Ludwig's head after the fight and I didn't wear church gear to prompt a dialogue. Now when I go back the head is dead.

Nope, you can buy Father G armor set and talk to it

No wonder why I'm starting to prefer Silvermont and will always prefer ENB over him. I need to check Silvermont's channel to see if he did stuff for the dlc.

Check out Aegon of Astora and Jerk Sans Frontierres as well. Those guys have amazing videos that actually go in depth and arent just fluff. They source material as well. The latter Frontierres has pretty good pacing too whereas Aegon's videos are longer and more sporadic although equally as engaging.

What video?

Check out Aegon of Astora and Jerk Sans Frontierres as well. Those guys have amazing videos that actually go in depth and arent just fluff. They source material as well. The latter Frontierres has pretty good pacing too whereas Aegon's videos are longer and more sporadic although equally as engaging.
Cool thanks. I hope he's not beasting through shit like A German Spy is. I don't mind, but sometimes I don't want to see a 60 second boss battle.

BizzyBum

What's in the locked door on the first floor of the Research Hall? I know you need to give that thing 2 brain fluids to get the key but don't really feel like it.

ZangBa

I just got the DLC last night, already annoyed with this instant kill death leap bullshit Ludwig does. I started it with my character on NG++ or more, I don't even remember, so I'm taking huge damage from everything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's in the locked door on the first floor of the Research Hall? I know you need to give that thing 2 brain fluids to get the key but don't really feel like it.

BlackSky Eye, one of new Arcane attack items, and a rather underwhelming gem.

If you go back later you can also give he an additional brain fluid for a Rune that you must use to use Kos Parasite properly, which if you use it when talking to the dude at the beginning of Fishing Hamlet will net you another Arcane attack item.

taybul

Need help deciding between the Whirlgig and the Boom Hammer on my STR character. I know the saw is already widely popular (I hesitate to say this, but cheapens some fights maybe?) and I'm intrigued by the hammer, especially since I can probably farm some +30% blunt gems. Any suggestions?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
His recent one about the 50 insight on the DLC.

I think it was our recent talk with Fancy Clown and Banana about Amelia and the statues, maybe is just a big concidence

By Banana did you mean me? I don't seem remember about any Amelia/statues talk...

Need help deciding between the Whirlgig and the Boom Hammer on my STR character. I know the saw is already widely popular (I hesitate to say this, but cheapens some fights maybe?) and I'm intrigued by the hammer, especially since I can probably farm some +30% blunt gems. Any suggestions?

Hammer has a few things go for it: IMO its definitely one of the best, if not straight out the best, weapons in terms of stagger potential. Its R2 charge is very fast, considering that it is a strength weapon, and you can always count on it for quick stagger necessities. The jumping R2 attack especially when its furnace is lit is very, very immense: always amusing to see enemies blown away by the sheer force of it, hahahah. And you always have a gun on your left hand for interrupt/riposte opportunity at all times, something that can't be said for Whirligig.

Its moveset is kind of limiting, and its useless against the DLC's optional boss (well not useless but certainly its main gimmick is worthless for the boss). I *think* it would be beneficial to use physical up gems instead since they affect visceral damage and I am pretty sure the Blunt/Thrust gems do not affect it, and since you always have one firearm ready when wielding Boom Hammer... why not make use of it?

---------------------

Anyways, Amydalan Arm! I maxed it... and kind of disappointed, to be honest. The hand form staggers, true, but it's so slow that you can be interrupted mid-swing by your target (like werewolves or hunters) and the scythe form don't stagger that well... the R2 charge attack is interesting as it flattens enemies though and can damage but your Hunter need to stand perfectly still to do all that and it can be a pain....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mmmm I remember you were there the other day, let me dig....

The whole conversation starts here.

Oh okay, though I mostly debated about the origins of Healing Church for that session of discussion.

Can't view Vaati's video right now, what did he say that seem similar to the conversation in the lore thread?

BizzyBum

If you go back later you can also give he an additional brain fluid for a Rune that you must use to use Kos Parasite properly, which if you use it when talking to the dude at the beginning of Fishing Hamlet will net you another Arcane attack item.

I was bored and decided to get the brain fluids.

I fucked up though and killed Saint Adeline before she transformed into the giant head and now I can't get the Milkweed Rune. I got the first two, then talked to her but I guess I already had that item in my inventory so I never got it. I remember reading you need to kill her for the third and final fluid but didn't realized it needed to be after giving her the first two. Probably shoulda double checked before doing so. At least she dropped the key so I could explore the first floor balcony.

Sometimes this game is infuriating with missable stuff and things that give absolutely no direction or explanation.

Alo0oy

Banned
Agreed. I think I even ranted about this in that unpopular gaming opinions thread. The number of people complaining about souls fans vastly outnumber the souls fans that are actually obnoxious. I actually think the Witcher fans are much worse in this regard but they don't get shit thrown in their face because reasons. I've been trying to avoid most GOTY threads because without fail, someone makes a reference and then before you know it, half the replies are people bandwagoning on that one reply but souls fans are the ones shitting up threads somehow *looks skywards*

When I brought it up in one of the threads, one poster said this:

The backlash against Souls/Bloodborne fans have been festering way before these GOTY threads. Any criticism of those games is always met with "no it is perfect" and "git gud". I know it is not every fan and you could go whataboutism but the fans are more obnoxious than most in my opinion.

It's pretty clear that some people held resentment towards Souls fans for a while and they just found an excuse to lash out at them.

I was bored and decided to get the brain fluids.

I fucked up though and killed Saint Adeline before she transformed into the giant head and now I can't get the Milkweed Rune. I got the first two, then talked to her but I guess I already had that item in my inventory so I never got it. I remember reading you need to kill her for the third and final fluid but didn't realized it needed to be after giving her the first two. Probably shoulda double checked before doing so. At least she dropped the key so I could explore the first floor balcony.

Sometimes this game is infuriating with missable stuff and things that give absolutely no direction or explanation.
If you think this is bad try saving Ostrava in 1-3 in Demons Souls for a pure clearstone.

squidyj

As an addendum you also use the Rune when talking with an NPC in the fishing hamlet to get the Accursed Brew which is another useful Hunter's Tool.

Honestly the DLC tools are so much more efficient than the ones from the main game except Augur with it's sweet sweet duration and knockdown ability.

taybul

Hammer has a few things go for it: IMO its definitely one of the best, if not straight out the best, weapons in terms of stagger potential. Its R2 charge is very fast, considering that it is a strength weapon, and you can always count on it for quick stagger necessities. The jumping R2 attack especially when its furnace is lit is very, very immense: always amusing to see enemies blown away by the sheer force of it, hahahah. And you always have a gun on your left hand for interrupt/riposte opportunity at all times, something that can't be said for Whirligig.

Its moveset is kind of limiting, and its useless against the DLC's optional boss (well not useless but certainly its main gimmick is worthless for the boss). I *think* it would be beneficial to use physical up gems instead since they affect visceral damage and I am pretty sure the Blunt/Thrust gems do not affect it, and since you always have one firearm ready when wielding Boom Hammer... why not make use of it?
Thanks! I figured I'd keep the LHB around for those fiery bosses (only 2 maybe?). I had forgotten about the visceral damage so maybe I will just continue using my 27's.

gogosox82

When I brought it up in one of the threads, one poster said this:

It's pretty clear that some people held resentment towards Souls fans for a while and they just found an excuse to lash out at them.

To me this comes from people making threads or just saying things in general like "Why can't I pause" or "Why can't there be an easy mode" and things to that nature and getting salty when souls fans disagree when if you think about it for a second, it would make no sense for souls fans to want the core of the game experience to be dramatically different. We are fans of the games for a reason and one of those reasons is the design philosophy so of course we don't want it to change, we like it the way it is but this point seems to go over peoples head. I think they just assume that everyone would want a pause button if given the opportunity and they think its strange when people don't.

BizzyBum

The big one I had to push to turn, going up? I rolled off and grabbed some stuff, I guess I gotta look around harder. Feels weird to have skipped a boss, and I still need 6 weapons.

No, I think you're talking about that platform in the actual research hall to get to the living failures.

The skull is located underneath the big elevator to get to the research hall where those two hunters you fought were waiting.

To me this comes from people making threads or just saying things in general like "Why can't I pause" or "Why can't there be an easy mode" and things to that nature and getting salty when souls fans disagree when if you think about it for a second, it would make no sense for souls fans to want the core of the game experience to be dramatically different. We are fans of the games for a reason and one of those reasons is the design philosophy so of course we don't want it to change, we like it the way it is but this point seems to go over peoples head. I think they just assume that everyone would want a pause button if given the opportunity and they think its strange when people don't.

Im pretty sure this is exactly what it is. They create those threads, see the dissension that it creates and then just assume all Souls fans are elitist that believe our way is the right way when that cant be further from the truth.

Alo0oy

Banned

It's pretty clear that a lot of people haven't spent time with the Souls community if they think all fans say is "those games are perfect", there have been plenty of criticism from the Souls community (World tendency in Demon's Souls, second half of Dark Souls, everything in Dark Souls 2, builds in Bloodborne, just to name a few).

But their exposure is of course in "easy mode" threads, which of course Souls fans don't want for legitimate reasons, namely the encounter design is balanced around a default difficulty (which is why "hard mode" in other games is unbalanced, the encounters are designed around the easier difficulty), it also effects the game's PvP.

But people will continue to look at it as if we're elitists that only want the games hard to be obnoxious, ignoring all the valid points that are always brought up in these threads. So they found an opportunity when one poster complained about Bloodborne's exclusion from GOTY lists to lash out at the entire fanbase.

What's up with Kos Parasite damage? I love the moveset, but it takes freaking forever to kill everything, even trash mobs. I have it a +10 and with 50 arcane, so I don't think I can improve the damage much. It really is a cool weapon, but unless I'm missing something, I'm going to have to shelf it since I have to work so hard to kill even the most basic enemies.

What's up with Kos Parasite damage? I love the moveset, but it takes freaking forever to kill everything, even trash mobs. I have it a +10 and with 50 arcane, so I don't think I can improve the damage much. It really is a cool weapon, but unless I'm missing something, I'm going to have to shelf it since I have to work so hard to kill even the most basic enemies.

It deals all arcane damage and not many enemies are weak to arcane. Also to get the most out of the R1 attacks you need Arcane % gems. To get the most out of the L2 aoe you need flat arcane gems, but youll take a hit tothe R1s

I wasn't wearing church gear and talked to him and left. When I came back, the sword was on his head.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It deals all arcane damage and not many enemies are weak to arcane. Also to get the most out of the R1 attacks you need Arcane % gems. To get the most out of the L2 aoe you need flat arcane gems, but youll take a hit tothe R1s

Even with all the "preparations", Kos Parasite is still nonetheless really underwhelming. It's only real strong points is its novelty, imo.

Instro

Got this with with my PS4 at Christmas. Really it's been my main reason to buy a PS4 since the game was announced. Seems great so far, I've been making fairly steady progress in typical Souls fashion. A couple questions:

1. Suggestions on pistol vs blunderbuss? I started out with the latter, but I'm curious if it's worth switching or not. The spread seems to be more useful than the extra damage of the pistol, unless I'm missing some other aspects of these.

2. I'm in the lower areas of Old Yharnam at this point. I skipped past fighting the hunter who was shooting at me in the upper area, because he kept kicking my ass. Is it worth going back to kill him?

Got this with with my PS4 at Christmas. Really it's been my main reason to buy a PS4 since the game was announced. Seems great so far, I've been making fairly steady progress in typical Souls fashion. A couple questions:

1. Suggestions on pistol vs blunderbuss? I started out with the latter, but I'm curious if it's worth switching or not. The spread seems to be more useful than the extra damage of the pistol, unless I'm missing some other aspects of these.

2. I'm in the lower areas of Old Yharnam at this point. I skipped past fighting the hunter who was shooting at me in the upper area, because he kept kicking my ass. Is it worth going back to kill him?
I used the blunderbuss 99% of the time. There was one boss I switched to the pistol because of its speed.

Did you talk to him at all?

Top Bottom