• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Alo0oy

Banned
Has anybody tried a Kos Parasite 50 Arcane and 27.2% gems yet? I find that a lot of weapons don't reach their potential until the late game (like all the offensive Arcane spells).

I haven't done an Arcane build for the DLC yet, I've been playing SOTFS and dex builds in that game are so frustrating with the lack of aiming dodge attacks and underpowered weapons, so I respecced into another build to platinum it quickly and get back to Bloodborne.

Dresden

Got this with with my PS4 at Christmas. Really it's been my main reason to buy a PS4 since the game was announced. Seems great so far, I've been making fairly steady progress in typical Souls fashion. A couple questions:

1. Suggestions on pistol vs blunderbuss? I started out with the latter, but I'm curious if it's worth switching or not. The spread seems to be more useful than the extra damage of the pistol, unless I'm missing some other aspects of these.

2. I'm in the lower areas of Old Yharnam at this point. I skipped past fighting the hunter who was shooting at me in the upper area, because he kept kicking my ass. Is it worth going back to kill him?

Pistols look better. Blunderbuss is ugly.

Don't think he drops anything worthwhile, but it'll be good practice since you'll see more hunter npcs in the future.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Got this with with my PS4 at Christmas. Really it's been my main reason to buy a PS4 since the game was announced. Seems great so far, I've been making fairly steady progress in typical Souls fashion. A couple questions:

1. Suggestions on pistol vs blunderbuss? I started out with the latter, but I'm curious if it's worth switching or not. The spread seems to be more useful than the extra damage of the pistol, unless I'm missing some other aspects of these.

2. I'm in the lower areas of Old Yharnam at this point. I skipped past fighting the hunter who was shooting at me in the upper area, because he kept kicking my ass. Is it worth going back to kill him?

1. As the game's item descriptions for those two accurately tell you, the pistol is more immediate and faster than blunderbuss--there is a slight delay with the blunderbuss from when you push the button and the hunter actually shoots, a slight delay that can possibly cost you that attempt of parrying. However, if you are at a point when you are still learning all the ins and outs of parrying, blunderbuss is generally a safer bet.

2. Don't do it. If you kill him immediately after you meet him, you will miss out a possible reward from him (a gesture... but still something that you can miss!). There is a way to make him friendly. Just leave him for now: you can safely leave him right until before the ending and it will have no significant repercussion.

Weird, I did the same and when I came back he was dead but no lootable sword.

Are you absolutely sure he's dead? Have you tried striking his head?

BizzyBum

Are you absolutely sure he's dead? Have you tried striking his head?

Yep, nothing.

There is some sort of sword or rod sticking out of his head but it's not the moonlight sword and I can't interact with it.

Maybe I went too far into the DLC before heading back? I don't even remember when I went back now.

Yep, nothing.

There is some sort of sword or rod sticking out of his head but it's not the moonlight sword and I can't interact with it.

Maybe I went too far into the DLC before heading back? I don't even remember when I went back now.
It's an arrow. I must have lucked out or something.

Yep, nothing.

Simon killed him
He moves to the research hall, and later to the last dlc area

So Simon ends up killing him if you don't. Unfortunately Simon isn't near the research hall for me anymore. I wonder if I can find him and able to get the sword from him? Or is he gone now, too?
He should show up again. I have no idea if he would have the sword. I'm trying to figure out how I ended up with it the way I did.

I know for a fact I didn't talk to Simon for it. The arrow is in his head so I didn't kill him. I double checked my trophy picture to make sure I wasn't wearing church attire. There has to be another way or mine was a dumb fluke.

laxu

I used the blunderbuss 99% of the time. There was one boss I switched to the pistol because of its speed.

Pistol and blunderbuss shoot just as fast. Pistol does actual damage and can hit enemies farther away but blunderbuss staggers nearly all enemies so it helps interrupt their attacks even if you miss the parry window. I have 50 bloodtinge and mostly use the blunderbuss instead of Evelyn (which you should only use if you have high BT as it's otherwise the same thing as the pistol). I use the pistol to finish off some enemies.

Pistol and blunderbuss shoot just as fast. Pistol does actual damage and can hit enemies farther away but blunderbuss staggers nearly all enemies so it helps interrupt their attacks even if you miss the parry window. I have 50 bloodtinge and mostly use the blunderbuss instead of Evelyn (which you should only use if you have high BT as it's otherwise the same thing as the pistol). I use the pistol to finish off some enemies.
It must have been a placebo. I use the sidearm solely for parrying so my bloodtinge is extremely low.

laxu

Micolash, host of nightmares is probably the worst boss fight in a video game, ever. Terrible design and just 100% cheap tactics. I think Ive had enough of this game because of him.

He is next to impossible to kill alone, with his one shot kill magic and cooperators are useless. I've tried to kill him for 2 days now and I think I hate bloodborne now.

He's easy if it wasn't for that one shot spell. Basically what you have to do is stick close to him, then he doesn't do the spell and instead tries to hit you with fists. When you run out of stamina still stay close and try to avoid the punches.

The spell is interruptable but you have to hit him before he even gets started, there's very little time to do it and the moment you see magic coming out it's too late. Honestly the spell is such a bullshit move when even with 50 vitality you die from one hit and there's not enough space to dodge it whatsoever.

laxu

What's up with Kos Parasite damage? I love the moveset, but it takes freaking forever to kill everything, even trash mobs. I have it a +10 and with 50 arcane, so I don't think I can improve the damage much. It really is a cool weapon, but unless I'm missing something, I'm going to have to shelf it since I have to work so hard to kill even the most basic enemies.

Yeah it's hard to make it do great damage. The bigger issue is that it's not very comboable or fast. I've got some fairly decent arcane gems for it and it's still not that good at +8. Which is a shame because it looks so cool.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Nah, there's a slight delay for blunderbuss, as is there's a slight recovery period for it after the shooting. The pistol is more immediate and the recovery is non-existent. The trouble is the pistol can sometimes flat-out miss the target whether they are passing through it by ducking (quite common with hunter enemies) or doing a movement where the bullet just miss whereas blunderbuss is practically a guaranteed hit (although with slight delay and more recovery time) and it will almost always stagger.

However with enough experience you can also reliably parry Hunters with pistols... you just need to get the "feel" for the timing.

He's easy if it wasn't for that one shot spell. Basically what you have to do is stick close to him, then he doesn't do the spell and instead tries to hit you with fists. When you run out of stamina still stay close and try to avoid the punches.

The spell is interruptable but you have to hit him before he even gets started, there's very little time to do it and the moment you see magic coming out it's too late. Honestly the spell is such a bullshit move when even with 50 vitality you die from one hit and there's not enough space to dodge it whatsoever.

The interrupt-frame is extremely, extremely, extremely small it we might as well just call it impossible. Once he launches it, there's nothing that you can do but dodge and hope for the best.

myco666

Anybody else tired of people shitting on Souls fans in every GOTY threads? In every single GOTY the first complaint is always of someone complaining about those salty Souls fans when those salty posts don't exist, & in the rare occasion that they do, they're vastly outnumbered by posters shitting on Souls fans for being angry.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent.

First few times it was annoying but now I don't really care all that much. Only thing that somewhat annoys me is that every fanbase has similiar problems but you don't really see them getting as much shit. Or at least it seems like it.

Consecutive shots with Blunderbuss seems to be slower than with Pistol though.

NEO0MJ

First few times it was annoying but now I don't really care all that much. Only thing that somewhat annoys me is that every fanbase has similiar problems but you don't really see them getting as much shit. Or at least it seems like it.

Every criticism seems worse you become invested in something.

myco666

Every criticism seems worse you become invested in something.

Well I would say that I am pretty invested with Platinum Games also but Platinum fans get way less shit in general. I guess Souls/BB fans have just more of those who are vocal about their 'superiority'.

NEO0MJ

Well I would say that I am pretty invested with Platinum Games also but Platinum fans get way less shit in general. I guess Souls/BB fans have just more of those who are vocal about their 'superiority'.

Yeah. Like it or not some Souls fans can become very outspoken and obnoxious, writing down any other game as inferior and praising Miyazaki to high heaven. I myself am not a big fan of people who become too attached to industry figures.

I love Platinum Games, but I hate their storytelling. I once got pissed off when I heard that one of the heads think they're too good to do a Kill La Kill game and the first thing I said was something about how they're crap at telling stories and how they make just as little sense as the Kill La Kill story. I don't remember catching shit about it, but they can easily be criticized, most developers can be though.

laxu

Nah, there's a slight delay for blunderbuss, as is there's a slight recovery period for it after the shooting. The pistol is more immediate and the recovery is non-existent. The trouble is the pistol can sometimes flat-out miss the target whether they are passing through it by ducking (quite common with hunter enemies) or doing a movement where the bullet just miss whereas blunderbuss is practically a guaranteed hit (although with slight delay and more recovery time) and it will almost always stagger.

I have to try this out more as the initial firing of the shot feels the same to me. Blunderbuss might have more recovery though but even it sometimes passes thru enemies. Ludwig's Rifle definitely has a very long recovery which makes it largely useless IMO.

gunbo13

So I wanted to embarrass Ludwig this time around, as he did to me. Warning, this vid shows how to exploit the hell out of him.

Whirligig +10
Nerfed armor
No BBP

Bloodborne DLC - NG+5 - Ludwig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqeRvDKzJ4

I think I pulled it off. :p

Now the question is whether I can do the same to Laurence...I'm betting...not a damn chance. lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yesterday was a good day for Bloodborne. Beat Defiled Amygdala on my first try using the jumping strat. Created the chalice that has the Queen in it. I can smell the platinum. I am so close now.

So I finished the game without intending to do so. A shame really, I wanted to explore a bit more.

Playing NG+, got to the Chapel pretty quickly, something that took me, many, many hours on my first playthrough.

Still I'm bummed I didn't get to kill the bosses on the DLC. I don't know that I'll be able to on NG+.

myco666

Yeah. Like it or not some Souls fans can become very outspoken and obnoxious, writing down any other game as inferior and praising Miyazaki to high heaven. I myself am not a big fan of people who become too attached to industry figures.

Not a fan of those kind of people either.

I love Platinum Games, but I hate their storytelling. I once got pissed off when I heard that one of the heads think they're too good to do a Kill La Kill game and the first thing I said was something about how they're crap at telling stories and how they make just as little sense as the Kill La Kill story. I don't remember catching shit about it, but they can easily be criticized, most developers can be though.

Well that is more on JP_Kellams not really liking KLK and to be honest I can see why and it is not about the story.

So I wanted to embarrass Ludwig this time around, as he did to me. Warning, this vid shows how to exploit the hell out of him.

Whirligig +10
Nerfed armor
No BBP

Bloodborne DLC - NG+5 - Ludwig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqeRvDKzJ4

I think I pulled it off. :p

Now the question is whether I can do the same to Laurence...I'm betting...not a damn chance. lol

Question. Why did you run away during second phase charge? You can easily get so many hits in that you could almost have ended the fight there.

Well that is more on JP_Kellams not really liking KLK and to be honest I can see why and it is not about the story.
I can see why some don't like it as well, but calling it shit is just opinionated histrionics, especially when it looks like it would be a fun game that would net your company a profit.

Ratrat

Killed Lady Maria after like my 100th try. *_*
Its insane that it only lasted for about 30 seconds and yet its been the hardest boss in the game for me.

NEO0MJ

I can see why some don't like it as well, but calling it shit is just opinionated histrionics, especially when it looks like it would be a fun game that would net your company a profit.

Well, he was bombarded by requests for that, and it got worse when it became a twisted jjoke to request it even if you don't care about KLK so he just snapped at them.

Killed Lady Maria after like my 100th try. *_*
Its insane that it only lasted for about 30 seconds and yet its been the hardest boss in the game for me.

I only tried her three times so far. I had her down to a sliver of health in try #3. I'll definitely take her out today.

Well, he was bombarded by requests for that, and it got worse when it became a twisted jjoke to request it even if you don't care about KLK so he just snapped at them.
Still not exactly an excuse to snap at your customer/fanbase on top of publicly insult something. I actually would've looked forward to a Platinum KLK game.

DSmalls84

Finally beat Orphan of Kos this morning. Between him and Laurence thats probably about as satisfied as I have ever felt beating a boss in a game lol. Hopefully the last 3 bosses in the main game are not as difficulty.

Finally beat Orphan of Kos this morning. Between him and Laurence thats probably about as satisfied as I have ever felt beating a boss in a game lol. Hopefully the last 3 bosses in the main game are not as difficulty.
They aren't. The dlc bosses are only eclipsed by a couple of chalice dungeon bosses I think.

That's a relief. Orphan second form really got my heart pounding lol.
I haven't even gotten to phase 2 yet. I keep slipping up and getting him by something like his homing projectile and then I get smashed by him rushing at me and then hitting me with a dragon punch while I'm healing.

DSmalls84

I haven't even gotten to phase 2 yet. I keep slipping up and getting him by something like his homing projectile and then I get smashed by him rushing at me and then hitting me with a dragon punch while I'm healing.

I saw a video on youtube that helped me get through form one without using bullets and only minimal vials. Basically keep distance between the Orphan and yourself constantly. Wait for him to run towards you and if he jumps step forward, turn around and immediately charge a backstab to set him up for a visceral.

If he runs toward you and drags his weapon on the ground dodge forward right and keep running out of the roll to create distance. If he throws the pink explosives at you usually a forward right roll will dodge it. You can also you the corpse in the middle of the battlefield to cheese it because they will explode on the corpse if they hit it and you're behind it.

Hopefully this helps. This strategy got me to form two with 15 vials most of the time.

gunbo13

Question. Why did you run away during second phase charge? You can easily get so many hits in that you could almost have ended the fight there.
Well, I got killed by his plasma multiple times in NG+4. It is a one-shot on higher NG levels. So I make sure to dodge it from a distance. I was not aware of a strategy to stay in close and was not willing to risk it on NG+4. It is a good tip though. Not that it matters much cause he still goes down hard even if I take a little siesta.

Now Laurence...uncontested hardest boss in BB. It is not even close. His 2nd form especially tells me that you are not embarrassing me, so off with it. I know what to do, I took him out initially on NG+4, but he still is a damn monster.

Novocaine

Just spent a minute messing with the Beastclaw and all the runes/gear to enhance it and yeah it's kind of awesome. I have 30 insight though so I'm going to dump that off and give it a real try when I get the last few chunks I need to get up to +9.

I saw a video on youtube that helped me get through form one without using bullets and only minimal vials. Basically keep distance between the Orphan and yourself constantly. Wait for him to run towards you and if he jumps step forward, turn around and immediately charge a backstab to set him up for a visceral.

If he runs toward you and drags his weapon on the ground dodge forward right and keep running out of the roll to create distance. If he throws the pink explosives at you usually a forward right roll will dodge it. You can also you the corpse in the middle of the battlefield to cheese it because they will explode on the corpse if they hit it and you're behind it.

Hopefully this helps. This strategy got me to form two with 15 vials most of the time.
Yeah I'll just need a video or two. Only vid I saw of Orphan was somebody doing a challenge run on NG+7 fighting it with only the Beast Claws. Dude fought that thing for 27 hours.

gunbo13

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Laurence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdmW6k3nuY

Bone ash set and BBP. Laurence is such a PITA. I started out totally out of rhythm but pulled it together. Pretty much one of the tougher possible challenges unless I roll a new character. Even then, it is just playing more polished. That just takes time and patience; not really a skill based run.

myco666

So I guess I am little bit overleveled but Beast Claw + Beast Embrace is insane. Beat FG before he even managed to transform.

Well, I got killed by his plasma multiple times in NG+4. It is a one-shot on higher NG levels. So I make sure to dodge it from a distance. I was not aware of a strategy to stay in close and was not willing to risk it on NG+4. It is a good tip though. Not that it matters much cause he still goes down hard even if I take a little siesta.

Now Laurence...uncontested hardest boss in BB. It is not even close. His 2nd form especially tells me that you are not embarrassing me, so off with it. I know what to do, I took him out initially on NG+4, but he still is a damn monster.

I think I've only got killed once by that attack. Just attack and eat the little AoE go behind him and just wail away. Good run even without that tactic though.

I really don't know about if Laurence is hardest or not. On NG he isn't really all that bad so I guess I need to go to NG+ and beyond and see how hard he is there.

Yeah I'll just need a video or two. Only vid I saw of Orphan was somebody doing a challenge run on NG+7 fighting it with only the Beast Claws. Dude fought that thing for 27 hours.

Just backstab all the time. Makes the first phase pretty trivial. Second phase is way harder since he recovers much faster from combos.

gunbo13

I think I've only got killed once by that attack. Just attack and eat the little AoE go behind him and just wail away. Good run even without that tactic though.
When I eat the beam from a distance it is a one-shot. I figure it would be the same up close? Not sure. But on NG+4 or higher, I can't eat a direct hit.
I really don't know about if Laurence is hardest or not. On NG he isn't really all that bad so I guess I need to go to NG+ and beyond and see how hard he is there.
Well I capped this time. It was an off-rhythm run but still, Laurence has insane health. His 2nd form is doable but prone to one-shots. Two claws also = dead.

Yesterday was a good day for Bloodborne. Beat Defiled Amygdala on my first try using the jumping strat. Created the chalice that has the Queen in it. I can smell the platinum. I am so close now.

I just have to get through a couple more chalice dungeons and then beat the game one last time. I'm at the Unseen village and I just have to die at the end of the game. This will be my first platinum. I don't find the Chalice dungeons nearly as compelling as the main game but I love the trophy list for this game. There's no bullshit to it.

Me too, I just want the game to be consistent, having a certain person wont promise the game is gonna suck or being the greatest thing ever.

Ophelion

I just reached the Orphan last night...holy shit. I don't feel quite as overwhelmed as when I fought Ludwig, but goddamn is this thing powerful. I got him down to about 20% health once, but I just ran out of bullets and blood vials. He's a right bastard.

myco666

When I eat the beam from a distance it is a one-shot. I figure it would be the same up close? Not sure. But on NG+4 or higher, I can't eat a direct hit.

Well I capped this time. It was an off-rhythm run but still, Laurence has insane health. His 2nd form is doable but prone to one-shots. Two claws also = dead.

Yeah that beam kills you in one hit for sure. I meant that little explosion that he does while charging the attack. That does very little damage.

Good fight. Hopefully I can actually get a back stab in. The Rakuyo and BoM have different arches and ranges than the Whirligig Saw.

This strategy works with Reiterpallasch and Church Pick so it should atleast work on BoM. Not sure about Rakuyo as I haven't used it almost at all aside from upgrading it to +10 and realizing that I don't like it lol.

Top Bottom