• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

zma1013

I just reached the Orphan last night...holy shit. I don't feel quite as overwhelmed as when I fought Ludwig, but goddamn is this thing powerful. I got him down to about 20% health once, but I just ran out of bullets and blood vials. He's a right bastard.

20% hp? Not bad, now prepare to die to him 10 more times while you only take him down to 90% hp. At least, that's how it works for me.

This strategy works with Reiterpallasch and Church Pick so it should atleast work on BoM. Not sure about Rakuyo as I haven't used it almost at all aside from upgrading it to +10 and realizing that I don't like it lol.
I actually like the Rakuyo, packs a good amount of punch. Seemed to make quick work of Micolash, I +10'd that and I'll probably +10 the Burial Blade as well cause I never +10'd that as well, probably the BoM as well cause of the S skill scaling.

Ophelion

20% hp? Not bad, now prepare to die to him 10 more times while you only take him down to 90% hp. At least, that's how it works for me.

Yeah, I'm sure. Usually, I get my chi aligned properly once like that and it takes 15 utter beatdowns before it happens again.

Surprisingly, the best advice I got for fighting him came from a Vaati video. His boss guide for all the bosses in the DLC was very instructive. I know a lot of people flip him shit, but I still really love his channel.

Novocaine

Anybody free to help me knock off Amygdala in the cursed Pthumerian dungeon? So over bashing my head against the wall. Using the gafhunt password.

gunbo13

Yeah that beam kills you in one hit for sure. I meant that little explosion that he does while charging the attack. That does very little damage.
Oh, gotcha. Yea, I don't think I ever got hit with that attack or at least it was early on. I probably had my paper armor on so the hit was higher then normal. Maybe that's why I didn't learn to brunt it.
I actually like the Rakuyo, packs a good amount of punch.
I made it a strong +10 and just am not into it. It's slow and packs about the same damage as BoM. The L2 is the only saving grace with crowd control. I think it is a pass from me unless there is something I'm missing.

Anybody free to help me knock off Amygdala in the cursed Pthumerian dungeon? So over bashing my head against the wall. Using the gafhunt password.
For me, it was a lot easier to do solo. Her insta-kill jump is way more predictable. If she jumps, stand completely still. She didn't jump very much when I would stay out from under her.

If you bait her slams and take a few shots at her head and arms, she's pretty easy.

gunbo13

Because he is crazy
He's also way better than I could ever imagine to be at this game
He definitely has good skill. But I can't watch these runs. They are so tedious.

I just beat Maria on NG+5 using just viscerals. It is really easy to do even with the AoE.

gogosox82

He definitely has good skill. But I can't watch these runs. They are so tedious.

I just beat Maria on NG+5 using just viscerals. It is really easy to do even with the AoE.

I thought his bare fist kill on Kos was pretty impressive but yeah in general these runs are so hard to watch. I remember his handmaid's ladle run from dark souls 2 and man that was almost impossible to watch for me. Watching him do like 30 damage a swing to The Rotten was rough.

I don't know how he has the patience to chip damage Laurence for 45 minutes.

Yeah, I just don't have the patience to do a boss fight for 45 minutes or whatever it takes. I start getting antsy after 10 minutes honestly.

gunbo13

I only have a last inclination to beat Kos again using a different strategy for NG+5. But I'm on weapon fatigue. I'm thinking of trying the beast cutter but I'm open to suggestions. Currently am through the Bowblade, Rakuyo, and Whirligig.

EDIT:
Also not sure why Rakuyo is fun. But it seems to be liked.

Yeah, I just don't have the patience to do a boss fight for 45 minutes or whatever it takes. I start getting antsy after 10 minutes honestly.
I get shaky when a battle is longer than 3 minutes. Especially if it's one I'm not used to. Kos just stresses me out of after like one minute currently.

myco666

All DLC bosses down on NG+ with Beast Claw + Beast Embrace. Only OoK needed two tries and others went down in first. Really starting to like that combo especially when you start getting damage numbers ovet 1k with single R1.

I actually like the Rakuyo, packs a good amount of punch. Seemed to make quick work of Micolash, I +10'd that and I'll probably +10 the Burial Blade as well cause I never +10'd that as well, probably the BoM as well cause of the S skill scaling.

I just don't like almost anything about it. I guess I need to use it more but ehhh.

Do you guys know anyone who has used the cloud save exploit to create "save states" to avoid losing progress? I have a friend who is just starting out playing Bloodborne doing this and it is driving me mad. I've tried to explain to him why this is a bad idea and how the game expects you to replay areas a few times to learn the level layouts and enemy encounters but he is just so trained by modern games like Fallout 4 that he can't let himself lose any progress, even if it's just some echoes.

The sad thing is he has bought and played all of the Souls games and quit fairly early on in each, so he obviously doesn't care for the formula much. I'm trying to help him understand that these games are meant to be enjoyed differently but it seems to be a losing battle.

Anyway, just had to vent a little, haha.

taybul

Do you guys know anyone who has used the cloud save exploit to create "save states" to avoid losing progress? I have a friend who is just starting out playing Bloodborne doing this and it is driving me mad. I've tried to explain to him why this is a bad idea and how the game expects you to replay areas a few times to learn the level layouts and enemy encounters but he is just so trained by modern games like Fallout 4 that he can't let himself lose any progress, even if it's just some echoes.

The sad thing is he has bought and played all of the Souls games and quit fairly early on in each, so he obviously doesn't care for the formula much. I'm trying to help him understand that these games are meant to be enjoyed differently but it seems to be a losing battle.

Anyway, just had to vent a little, haha.

Although I don't fully support playing the game like this, all he's really doing is preventing losing his echoes. He's still playing the levels again and again until success with added effort of exporting/importing his saves. I think a lot of us probably save scummed in order to get all endings. I'm also pretty sure this lets you create dungeons losing out on the materials (save, create dungeon, make public, write down code, save scum, search dungeon using code).

I don't believe this is nearly as bad as something like item duping.

My 2 pebbles.

Although I don't fully support playing the game like this, all he's really doing is preventing losing his echoes. He's still playing the levels again and again until success with added effort of exporting/importing his saves. I think a lot of us probably save scummed in order to get all endings. I'm also pretty sure this lets you create dungeons losing out on the materials (save, create dungeon, make public, write down code, save scum, search dungeon using code).

I don't believe this is nearly as bad as something like item duping.

My 2 pebbles.
Yeah, I guess it's not that big a deal, I just think it would make the game less enjoyable. Who knows, maybe he will enjoy the game this way and wouldn't otherwise.

gogosox82

I only have a last inclination to beat Kos again using a different strategy for NG+5. But I'm on weapon fatigue. I'm thinking of trying the beast cutter but I'm open to suggestions. Currently am through the Bowblade, Rakuyo, and Whirligig.

EDIT:
Also not sure why Rakuyo is fun. But it seems to be liked.

Beasthunter Saif? I really like the moveset personally but I haven't really seen its full potential yet because I need to go farm some chunks.

Edit:

I get shaky when a battle is longer than 3 minutes. Especially if it's one I'm not used to. Kos just stresses me out of after like one minute currently.

Defiled Amy and Watchdog took me about 10 minutes each and I started getting really antsy on both especially since they both have attacks that one shot you.

I just don't like almost anything about it. I guess I need to use it more but ehhh.
I've been fine with it for the most part. I usually main 2 weapons per character any way. I pretty much just switch between that, the Threaded Cane and BoM depending on need. Definitely slotting in the Burial Blade when I get it too though. Never saw what it could do with a skill/arcane character and I've never maxed it out.

Alo0oy

Banned
The Rakuya is the second best weapon in the game, only behind the BoM (and that's only because BoM's baddass factor is infinity), but as a function it is the best weapon in the game.

It'd normal attacks are very fast, the R2 moveset is very fast thrust attacks that melt through all the kin, and the L2 attack is excellent for both crowd control and hit-and-run against a lot of bosses like the Abhorrent Beast or even the giant fish enemies, the one handed charge attack also has absurd range, which is excellent for backstabbing, and the backstep R1 has excellent range as well. The L2 also works as a secondary more powerful follow up attack if you press it after either the slashing R1 or thrusting R2.

The weapon is very fast, works well against both individual enemies and groups, has very good range, costs low stamina, and has the best moveset in the game. But do you know what's the best thing about it? It has very high damage, with the right gems it's AR can go up to 650, if you buff the weapon that's 750, with how fast it is 750 AR will melt through everything it touches, as a comparison Ludwig's holy blade maxed out does about 850 AR + 100 from buffs, considering how slow the weapon is the Rakuya's dps can easily be more than twice as much as LHB.

EDIT: The above is assuming your level is between 100-120, if you go beyond that and have both STR and SKL at 50, then quality weapons always win. And even then, the Rakuya is still better because of its moveset and low stamina cost.

Sounds like a new weapon is on the line...

Though I don't even think I have a Shaman Bone Blade. Where do I find one?

It's a base game consumable. You can find some in Nightmare of Mensis. You can eventually buy them from Messengers for Insight, too. I forget what you have to do to unlock them as a purchase, though. Some boss, I'm sure.

myco666

I've been fine with it for the most part. I usually main 2 weapons per character any way. I pretty much just switch between that, the Threaded Cane and BoM depending on need. Definitely slotting in the Burial Blade when I get it too though. Never saw what it could do with a skill/arcane character and I've never maxed it out.

Burial Blade is useless now since Church Pick is pretty much better version of it IMO.

The Rakuya is the second best weapon in the game, only behind the BoM (and that's only because BoM's baddass factor is infinity), but as a function it is the best weapon in the game.

It'd normal attacks are very fast, the R2 moveset is very fast thrust attacks that melt through all the kin, and the L2 attack is excellent for both crowd control and hit-and-run against a lot of bosses like the Abhorrent Beast or even the giant fish enemies, the one handed charge attack also has absurd range, which is excellent for backstabbing, and the backstep R1 has excellent range as well. The L2 also works as a secondary more powerful follow up attack if you press it after either the slashing R1 or thrusting R2.

The weapon is very fast, works well against both individual enemies and groups, has very good range, costs low stamina, and has the best moveset in the game. But do you know what's the best thing about it? It has very high damage, with the right gems it's AR can go up to 650, if you buff the weapon that's 750, with how fast it is 750 AR will melt through everything it touches, as a comparison Ludwig's holy blade maxed out does about 850 AR + 100 from buffs, considering how slow the weapon is the Rakuya's dps can easily be more than twice as much as LHB.

EDIT: The above is assuming your level is between 100-120, if you go beyond that and have both STR and SKL at 50, then quality weapons always win. And even then, the Rakuya is still better because of its moveset and low stamina cost.

Funnily I hate both of those weapons. Much rather use any other Skill weapon.

Alo0oy

Banned
Funnily I hate both of those weapons. Much rather use any other Skill weapon.

All skill weapons are great, it's the first FROM soft game where dex builds aren't screwed over, so I'm happy with that.

And the Burial Blade still has its uses, you can stack the guidance runes with its natural absurd base rally value and have really really high regain potential.

gunbo13

Rakuya is just a less than BoM. And I've used my uncanny BoM set more than any other weapon. I also tear apart the world with it compared to other weapons. The Rakuya doesn't have any combat appeal aside from its L2.

myco666

All skill weapons are great, it's the first FROM soft game where dex builds aren't screwed over, so I'm happy with that.

And the Burial Blade still has its uses, you can stack the guidance runes with its natural absurd base rally value and have really really high regain potential.

Hasn't Dex always been great? I remember it being good in DaS and DaS2. IMO Skill is way too good.

Well you don't need high rally potential if you are good enough ;)

2AdEPT

HIs viewers actually ask for this stuff. It all started when they started trying to get him to do a challenge run where he would fail. He alsways has the last laugh and usually proves he can do the impossible....pretty good basis for a channel. I never watch the channel anyomre, but I respect what it is and why it still has a large viewership.

Sounds like a new weapon is on the line...

Though I don't even think I have a Shaman Bone Blade. Where do I find one?

If you want to see a vid of how to do it start to finish here it is.

gogosox82

Where can you farm chunks? I really want to get my bowblade to +9 but used my chunks on BOM, Cane and Evelyn.

Wolves in Upper Catherdal Ward drop them and there are bunch of chunks in the new dlc. But I usually just use that sheet from reddit and farm the chalice dungeons. You just have to go the chalice once and then you can just farm it for chunks endlessly by just putting in the code.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fIeXoMa2Lp9X1aXyme2qaTen4/edit#gid=1814333532

After playing most of NG on the pimp cane (with the occasional LHB) half of NG+ and most of the DLC on the blades of mercy, the end of the DLC and the third quarter of NG+ on rakuyo, I was left with a fair amount of blood chunks and even a blood rock.. Decided on a whim to level the burial blade to +10 and give it some good gems. Holy fuck this thing is powerful. I think I might even prefer it to the Rakuyo. It seems to have the speed of a fast weapon but with insane stagger and reach. And it's so stylish! I think I might finish NG+ on the burial blade, and take it and the Rakyuo to the chalice dungeons.

(yes, I said I was done with the game a few days ago...)

edit: ok it seems that the internet disagrees and that I should have leveled the church pick instead. Whatever! Fashionsouls is real, and I'll keep bossing my badass scythe.

DSmalls84

Wolves in Upper Catherdal Ward drop them and there are bunch of chunks in the new dlc. But I usually just use that sheet from reddit and farm the chalice dungeons. You just have to go the chalice once and then you can just farm it for chunks endlessly by just putting in the code.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fIeXoMa2Lp9X1aXyme2qaTen4/edit#gid=1814333532

Will have to look into that thanks. I am pretty much at the end of the game and still don't have a clue how chalices work lol. Should I do chalices before new game + or does it matter? Currently level 118 and getting near the end.

That actually helped a lot, thanks. It turns out I already had a few of those Shaman Bone Blades in my inventory. Must have been from my last playthrough. I almost died five times doing this, and they were both still alive when the effect wore off. I went back down and killed one of them myself. Luckily it was the one that dropped the Rakuyo. So I grabbed it and got the fuck out of there.

It seems like it has a pretty cool moveset, so I'll definitely upgrade it. But what is it that makes so many people rave about this thing?

That actually helped a lot, thanks. It turns out I already had a few of those Shaman Bone Blades in my inventory. Must have been from my last playthrough. I almost died five times doing this, and they were both still alive when the effect wore off. I went back down and killed one of them myself. Luckily it was the one that dropped the Rakuyo. So I grabbed it and got the fuck out of there.

It seems like it has a pretty cool moveset, so I'll definitely upgrade it. But what is it that makes so many people rave about this thing?
That was the hardest part of the DLC for me. I even struggled getting the blade to hit before I got wrecked.

In other news I cleared Defiled chalice! YES! One step closer to platinum and I'm glad to have my full health back. Onto the next dungeon. 2 left

gogosox82

Guys is Dark Souls 2 worth getting at $19.99?

Yes

Will have to look into that thanks. I am pretty much at the end of the game and still don't have a clue how chalices work lol. Should I do chalices before new game + or does it matter? Currently level 118 and getting near the end.

Chalices have their own difficulty and aren't tied to whatever new game your on. So depth 1 is easy and depth 5 is the hardest. I would say to make sure you at least have killed Ebrietas , Amygdala, and brain of mensis if you want to go into ng+ because they drop items you need for the chalices.

2AdEPT

well for one thing, [checks brand new hardcover DLC guide] it has the fasted R2 transformed attack of any weapon in bloodborne, twice that of the BOM. that said the BOM is still better DPS so in a combo it will stil out hit the rakuyo with the transformed R2. The other stamina rates for tthe other attacks are more average....but it should be obvious that having the fasted R2 (power) attack in bloodborne means PVPers' will not overlook it even if it doesnt do as much damage as the BOM as it has slightly better reach.

Fuck this guide rules....yes I relaize the info may be availbale online..but this guide has it all at your finger tips and looks nice.

Guys is Dark Souls 2 worth getting at $19.99?
I assume you mean PS4? Which implies it is scholar of the first sin and contains the DLC? Of course its worth it even if all if all you had is a ps3 (and I assume you do have a ps4 in the bloodborne thread) but the DLC is some of the best souls content around and although that sounds decent for PS4 you can get a steal of deal on steam this time of year and also play it all in 60 FPS and 2560. Either way, art direction aside, the aesthetics are way better than bloodborne. Check this quality out (major boss soilers)

Jingo

Oh man im getting my ass kicked with ludwig, its driving me crazy, i didnt had any problem with the bosses from the main campaign, yes they were hard, but doable, ludwig on the other hand, its a beast( no pun intended) he doesnt give me time to breathe, two strikes from him and im dead, i cant even heal myself, i think the best ive done was taking maybe 1/3 of his energy.

If i dont get better i think ill be done with this, its already some 3 hours in him, maybe im underleveled, im in level 153 at Ng++, using the hunters axe at level 10 with some sweet blood gems, dont know if i should farm blood echoes and level up, dont know if any of that matters anymore

Oh Amygdala, have mercy on the poor bastard!

DSmalls84

Yes

Chalices have their own difficulty and aren't tied to whatever new game your on. So depth 1 is easy and depth 5 is the hardest. I would say to make sure you at least have killed Ebrietas , Amygdala, and brain of mensis if you want to go into ng+ because they drop items you need for the chalices.

Got Ebrietas and Amygdala don't think I have made it to the brain yet. Thanks.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Got the platinum! Plus all of the DLC trophies.

I liked the chalice dungeons, but they're not something I would complete 100%. It was just a fun extra challenge. I used the wiki to know which ones to go to.

Did everything singleplayer too :p

Am I the only one crazy enough to do all the chalices? I don't have to do Lower Ailing Loran, but I'm in there anyway. It was either that or make an Isz dungeon, but I figured I'd get more Ritual Blood 5 in Lower Loran so dived right in there any way. Anybody know where I can find better radial fire gems?

Jombie

Am I the only one crazy enough to do all the chalices? I don't have to do Lower Ailing Loran, but I'm in there anyway. It was either that or make an Isz dungeon, but I figured I'd get more Ritual Blood 5 in Lower Loran so dived right in there any way. Anybody know where I can find better radial fire gems?

You can get drops from enemies in the bonus room on layer 2 in the defiled Pthumerian, before Watchdog. I have some pretty good ones, though I forgot where I got them, however, I've pretty much done the worst of the worst in the dungeons. Much rage at the expense of gems I'll never use.

Top Bottom