• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

gogosox82

Eventually I'll go back to DSII, just not my favorite Souls game by any stretch of the imagination.

That's ok. Great thing about it is it will always be there waiting for you if you ever decide to give it another crack.

I am replaying it right now and wow, the stamina is actually stamina you have to administrate what to do instead of mindless backsteps

The Stamina consumption is real DS2. Chloranthy ring +2 is must for me because of that even though I hate that green aura you have when its on.

Newboi

Question for Bloodborne veterans. I'm just now getting around to playing through Bloodborne. I've beaten all the base game bosses (including Upper Cathedral Ward bosses) up to Mergo's wet nurse. I haven't done the chalice dungeons yet and I'm level 76 with a quality build (using Ludwig's Holy Blade).

Does NG+ affect the chalice dungeons diffishould When should I do the chalice dungeons? When should I attempt the old hunters DLC?

Lastly, has anyone tried arcane or bloodtinge builds? Is either worth it for single player (I'm not doing much PvP)?

Also the Hollow system that removes a % of your life each time you die, not a newcomer friendly mechanic that is for sure.

That's probably my only real complaint about the Souls series and a big reason I think that I'm enjoying Bloodborne more. If death in these games is intended to be a learning experience, why punish people for that? Losing all of your souls isn't enough?

Glix

I beat father gascoigne!!! I'm the greatest video game player in the world!!!

I even figured out
the music box thing
all by myself!!!

This game is freaking great.

Sulik2

The first area of this game is horribly designed. I can't believe the same mind that made Dark Souls incredible opening designed this garbage. Incredibly difficult game without a way to level up? No clearly defined path to the boss so you can stagger around in the sewers before even realizing there is a boss that you have to fight to even start leveling. A super tough enemy marked with a note that is fun to fight and zero loot behind him? I I finally found the cleric beast and the game is picking up, but this was one of the worse openings I could have imagined for a game that is this praised. And farming bloodvials after dark souls already showed a better way to do health potions? Ugh.

Glix

The first area of this game is horribly designed. I can't believe the same mind that made Dark Souls incredible opening designed this garbage. Incredibly difficult game without a way to level up? No clearly defined path to the boss so you can stagger around in the sewers before even realizing there is a boss that you have to fight to even start leveling. A super tough enemy marked with a note that is fun to fight and zero loot behind him? I I finally found the cleric beast and the game is picking up, but this was one of the worse openings I could have imagined for a game that is this praised. And farming bloodvials after dark souls already showed a better way to do health potions? Ugh.

I don't completely agree, but at least its not like Dark Souls where if you take the wrong path at the start you end up in an area that you should not be in yet.

I know multiple people that put down that game and never picked it up again after starting like that.

With Micolash just stay close and circle around to his side when you see the tentacle attack. If you see him do his laser light show just shoot him when you see him put his hands up to interrupt the attack, you're fine after that and just start wailing on him.

Yeah I was just out of sorts last night, trying to get one last boss in before turning in. I read about some different moves for the saw so I'm going to try those out too. It's a real piece of work against invaders. I've been using it two handed against him, like the actual saw part, but I might just use my trust LWB untransformed, just for the speed to interrupt and the ability to keep hitting and hitting forever.

Central Yharnam rocks though. What a world to be thrown into visually.

Question for Bloodborne veterans. I'm just now getting around to playing through Bloodborne. I've beaten all the base game bosses (including Upper Cathedral Ward bosses) up to Mergo's wet nurse. I haven't done the chalice dungeons yet and I'm level 76 with a quality build (using Ludwig's Holy Blade).

Does NG+ affect the chalice dungeons diffishould When should I do the chalice dungeons? When should I attempt the old hunters DLC?

Lastly, has anyone tried arcane or bloodtinge builds? Is either worth it for single player (I'm not doing much PvP)?

Do the Old Hunters DLC before killing Mergo, Nurse, killing her will lock aditional dialogue from the Doll.

The chalices have its own difficulty regardless of NG you are.

Bloodtingue destroy everything if you do it right.

That's probably my only real complaint about the Souls series and a big reason I think that I'm enjoying Bloodborne more. If death in these games is intended to be a learning experience, why punish people for that? Losing all of your souls isn't enough?

Nope, that how the story is about in reality, It wasnt well represented in Dark Souls 1 because everyone wanted to stay Hollow to avoid invasions.

Turning Hollow the more you died and finally being a Hollow and cause a perma death would be nuts, Only Demon Souls did that as far as I know.

And the loss of Souls is not really that bad, you can get more pretty easy, in BB is a joke.

Yeah, forcing you to learn ALL the mechanics in the first area without any space to experiments other things was a "high" learning curve, more if you chose the Cane

gunbo13

I think I'm done. Working on Kos on NG+5 is simply annoying. His 1st form I can get down without getting hit. His 2nd form does ridiculous damage and he is a sponge. I'm not sure how the scaling on NG+4 -> NG+5 went but it appears to be significant. The game wants around 40+ two hand Whirligig hits to take down his remaining health... His guts attack or whatever does a half bar per AoE. If you get caught in a swarm, it's a one shot. His electricity attack is a one shot if you take a good brunt of it. His overhead is about 90% and occurs after slashes. Jump attack is at least half a bar.

I think it's more aggravation then what it is worth. Taking him down quite easily in NG+4 is enough.

gogosox82

I really like Central Yharnam *shrugs*

taybul

Eh keep at it and it should click. I'm a souls vet myself and I almost dropped this completely before even getting to Cleric because of the mechanics. Not being able to level either was huge because I was flat out terrible with the combat system. Though there are many paths I don't think you can simply wander into areas you're not supposed to at least before beating the first few bosses.

I absolutely love the opening area and overall this is one of my favorite games ever.

Yeah I was just out of sorts last night, trying to get one last boss in before turning in. I read about some different moves for the saw so I'm going to try those out too. It's a real piece of work against invaders. I've been using it two handed against him, like the actual saw part, but I might just use my trust LWB untransformed, just for the speed to interrupt and the ability to keep hitting and hitting forever.
Yeah try using something faster with less stamina cost. I've always used skill weapons so keeping him in combos wasn't too hard.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uh, what?

Dark Souls's opening gives you 3 paths, 2 of which are almost impossible for a first-time player. Talk about "dicking around" aimlessly.

Central Yharnam is one of the best game openings I've ever played. In fact I think it's my second favourite after 1-1 which is still the best start to a game I've ever played. Oh and you can't level up in 1-1 either!

(I actually didn't mind it at all, but I find the "no clear defined path to the boss" an utterly frivolous complaint anyway.)

DSmalls84

The first area of the game has a pretty steep learning curve but honestly after getting through that section it seemed like the difficulty leveled off for the most part. There were still some frustrating bosses (cathedral hunter/dlc bosses) but it begins to feel like your making progress once cleric beast and gascoigne are down.

Central Yharnam isn't too bad as long as you know how to deal with mobs. Only bad parts really are the bridge with the two wolves and the mob by the bonfire and after that unless you go up the stairs and attack the second set from behind. It's all about knowing not to rush in and just finding routes around the tough parts.

Central Yharnam opening is great IMO. Its not too difficult to where the player wont progress but it isnt a cake walk either. Its basically the games tutorial level. It shows how the levels will be winding and not being able to level up to just bull rush through everything forces you to get a handle of the mechanics. First time I made it through the level and found the first shortcut was bliss.

Central Yharnam opening is great IMO. Its not too difficult to where the player wont progress but it isnt a cake walk either. Its basically the games tutorial level. It shows how the levels will be winding and not being able to level up to just bull rush through everything forces you to get a handle of the mechanics. First time I made it through the level and found the first shortcut was bliss.
That was me when I first tackled the dlc since I was going straight blind. I had subtle hints to go on at best and then the door opens right back to the starting lamp, my mind was blown and I was so happy.

The shortcut being hidden with boxes right at the plaza was a bliss

Jamiaro

I wish the game would make list of all accomplished chalice-dungeons. I simply cannot remember which ones I have done six months ago and I would love to get some 27% Tempered Blood Stones. :/

Nope, that how the story is about in reality, It wasnt well represented in Dark Souls 1 because everyone wanted to stay Hollow to avoid invasions.

Turning Hollow the more you died and finally being a Hollow and cause a perma death would be nuts, Only Demon Souls did that as far as I know.

I get the story-based justification, I just think it's a bad gameplay mechanic.

gunbo13

Central Yharnam is an amazing opening level. It has probably the best enemy placement and flow of all the levels. It competes with Cathedral Ward for the top mob design.

Dresden

Getting back into the game has been really hard. I die to things I never expected. Rom took a death. Micolash took three (man I swear I don't remember him spamming ACB this much). Too old for these whippersnapper games.

Okay, so I'm fighting Kos at the moment. Any good strategies? I got completely destroyed on my first attempt, then managed to get him down to about 1/5th of his HP on my second try with no items aside from blood vials. I'm using a Whirligig+10, which seems to do the trick. Just looking for any extra edge.

Getting back into the game has been really hard. I die to things I never expected. Rom took a death. Micolash took three (man I swear I don't remember him spamming ACB this much). Too old for these whippersnapper games.

When I first started playing again with the DLC in mind, I had forgotten how to use blood vials. XD

DSmalls84

Okay, so I'm fighting Kos at the moment. Any good strategies? I got completely destroyed on my first attempt, then managed to get him down to about 1/5th of his HP on my second try with no items aside from blood vials. I'm using a Whirligig+10, which seems to do the trick. Just looking for any extra edge.

When I first started playing again with the DLC in mind, I had forgotten how to use blood vials. XD

For the first phase you can keep your distance and wait for him run and jump. When he jumps step forward slightly, turn around and immediately charge your attack. If you spaced it right he will be set up for a visceral. Dodge forward right if he runs at you and drags his weapon on the ground and keep running to create distance. To avoid the pink balls dodge forward right or keep the corpse in the middle of the battlefield between you. The corpse will block the pink balls. Do not lock in for phase 1.

Phase two requires a bit of luck but stay locked on and try to get behind Kos and get in a few attacks. Keep moving because he will crush you with combos if you stand still. Be aware that when he launches the pink balls in phase two he usually launches them in front of you and then Flys and launches them behind you so don't run in the opposite direction. Pistol parrys are possible in phase two but if you screw up the timing you're in a really bad spot. Last but not least the lighting storm in phase 2 is possible to dodge but difficult so I would wear armor with high bolt resist.

Hopefully this helps. This is based off the 30 or so times I fought him before killing him. Good Luck!

Dahbomb

Central Yarnham is one of the best opening levels in gaming. A lot of hidden stuff in it, various paths, shortcuts. Superb level design in general.

It's staggering that you could get to the two bosses in the area within a couple of minutes thanks to the usage of a few shortcuts... all from a single Lamppost.

Yeah the Vial thing sort of sucks early on but in Central Yarnham there are a lot of enemies that drop a bunch of vials. A lot more than other levels so this is certainly not an issue with the level but rather the whole game. In the middle to later stages of the game the Vial thing doesn't really matter, you end up having huge surplus and you start gaining echoes at such a high rate that you can mass buy vials and be set for a long time.

Hopefully this helps. This is based off the 30 or so times I fought him before killing him. Good Luck!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll get him at some point. This is partly a matter of luck.

Is this guy the final DLC boss? I haven't fought Laurence yet.

I think of it as the improved version of Undead Burg.

Ugh. Dark Souls was my first Souls game. I spent so much time in the Undead Burg just farming souls so I could get to a decent level.

DSmalls84

Thanks! I'm sure I'll get him at some point. This is partly a matter of luck.

Is this guy the final DLC boss? I haven't fought Laurence yet.

Ugh. Dark Souls was my first Souls game. I spent so much time in the Undead Burg just farming souls so I could get to a decent level.

He is the last boss. Laurence is optional but also very hard. Laurence/Orphan were by far the two bosses it took me the most tries to beat.

He is the last boss. Laurence is optional but also very hard. Laurence/Orphan were by far the two bosses it took me the most tries to beat.

Yeah, but I'm still going to need that trophy.

I think after I polish off these two I'll be done until Dark Souls III. I'm ready for a new game at this point. I still have like, four other games to finish in the meantime.

DSmalls84

Yeah, but I'm still going to need that trophy.

I think after I polish off these two I'll be done until Dark Souls III. I'm ready for a new game at this point. I still have like, four other games to finish in the meantime.

I'm thinking the same thing lol. Finished up the game today and played NG+ up until Old Yharnam and I think I need a break. Make sure for Laurence you suit up in Fire resist and study up on phase two. Phase one is not so bad but phase 2 makes for some frustrating deaths.

squidyj

the silliest thing about bloodtinge is the way bloodtinge weapons knockodwn dogs and whatnot, just.... really?'

I struggled for a long time on Ludwig, but I one-shot Laurence on my first character so I dunno why people keep saying he's so tough.

2AdEPT

I admittedly was learning on the fly with this guy as I almost beat him first try going yolo with the chikage. As it turned out, this was the best strat all along...the first part of this video shows how NOT to do it, backing yp and foolign around with bone marrow ash was dumb for this guy.....then at the end I finally realized that all I had to do was dodge toward him and get behind him just like most soulsborne enemies....there are a few exceptions, but simply dodging past them and getting behind them works like a charm near 95% of the time.

The boomhammer is making me regret going with a skill build. Urge to reroll rising...
Yeah there are more str weapons to choose from now, and there are are some real winners this time, but the best weapons are still the dex ones so you may want to tough it out and just do a separate playthrough later... there is a dex weapon coming that has an r2 that is thte fastest hitting R2 move in the game.

2AdEPT

daedalius

I did mean Amelia actually

Got her down real low a couple times only to fuck up a dodge or something. Now I'm out of the numbing mist

Top Bottom