• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

You can get drops from enemies in the bonus room on layer 2 in the defiled Pthumerian, before Watchdog. I have some pretty good ones, though I forgot where I got them, however, I've pretty much done the worst of the worst in the dungeons. Much rage at the expense of gems I'll never use.
Ok thanks. I've been avoiding doing that layer, I'd just have to remember to either take the fire gems off my threaded cane or put arcane gems or something into it cause I do not fight the Defiled dog with anything but the threaded cane. I always attack its head after the swipe attacks. The cane is just the safest option in my opinion.

DSmalls84

For the second phase of the Micolash fight it he just supposed to run around the maze and keep resetting to the same area? Seemed odd since the first half was confined to a small room. Easy boss regardless.

2AdEPT

Got the platinum! Plus all of the DLC trophies.

I liked the chalice dungeons, but they're not something I would complete 100%. It was just a fun extra challenge. I used the wiki to know which ones to go to.

Did everything singleplayer too :p
Congrats, i have spent thousadns of hours on soulsborne over 7 years now, but admit I never was in to grinding enough to do a platinum. Notwithstanding I was forced to grind the chalice dungeons in order to get acces to the best gems....and will proabbly do it again for new characters. I will grind for real in game rewards, but have yet to get excited about platinums...it may yet happen as I cant be too far off the bloodborne one.

Am I the only one crazy enough to do all the chalices? I don't have to do Lower Ailing Loran, but I'm in there anyway. It was either that or make an Isz dungeon, but I figured I'd get more Ritual Blood 5 in Lower Loran so dived right in there any way. Anybody know where I can find better radial fire gems?
This chart helps a lot:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fIeXoMa2Lp9X1aXyme2qaTen4/edit#gid=1814333532

but in order to get easy access to all areas you have to complete one fetid, cursed, rotted dungeon of your own which requires all "great" chaklices as well as the lower ailing loran etc. you diont have to do any sinsiteriones which are more related to co-op and PVP.

LOL after checking the chart for you it looks as if making a CRF Pthumeru Ihyll dungeon with the Watchdog as the boss is the best way to get higher level (like 24%) fire gems.

For the second phase of the Micolash fight it he just supposed to run around the maze and keep resetting to the same area? Seemed odd since the first half was confined to a small room. Easy boss regardless.

yeah it appears to be pretty random...sometimes he shuts the door right away and other times you can get get caught in a loop where he never shuts it for like 5 circles. Supposedly if ylu chase him the right way he diesnt get caught in a loop...I have done it twice. once with the loop once without and he behaved. No rhyme or reason to it from my persepctive but I could easily be wrong on this one.

2AdEPT

Would that watchdog be harder than the Defiled one?

Pretty much equal I think..I never tried to get fire gems before....there may be other ways to get fire gems actually....it was jsut a sad joke on my part to make you think that farming the watchdog was the only way...it isnt ...check the graph...I got a lot of fire gems by mistake while farmign certain easier enemies that drop all kinds randomly. I could drop them for you if you want to try to meet up in a chalice or something or can you do that...havent tried? My bloodtinge character will not use fire gems and I think I must have at least a couple 24-27 % ones I am not using.

If not, are you able to open your own CRF dungeon yet? THat is your first order of business and to do that you just have to ensure you have each of the main chalices completed. I thought I did them all but recognized I had not do lower ailing Loran on my currect character...you need some of the lesser middle ones as well as the tougher "great" Ihyll and cursed ones. The way to test it is to try to set up a level five chalice, couls be any, I did the great Izs, then try to make it all three of fetid, rotten and cursed. IT wont give you this option if not, and if you try to enter codes from the chart you will get the message, "you are not advanced enough to do a chalice like this" or some such babble. It was worth it...not only for gems but also the best runes...im not big on NG+'s so this was the best way to get my 20% stamina rune and stack it with my old trusty 15 % stamina rune....yes you read that correctly....combined with my Eileen Hunter rune which speeds stamina recovery, I now have a stamina bar that facilitates absolute destruction of bosses and whatever else gets in my way with a 35% longer bar than what my stats say I should have.

If i dont get better i think ill be done with this, its already some 3 hours in him, maybe im underleveled, im in level 153 at Ng++, using the hunters axe at level 10 with some sweet blood gems, dont know if i should farm blood echoes and level up, dont know if any of that matters anymore

Oh Amygdala, have mercy on the poor bastard!
Yeah dont give up. I also had a rough time but the fact that some people are doing Ludwig at NG+7 and with no armour and SL 4, means the attacks are actually dodgable. Here is me doign it at level 85 albeit only on NG...I try to give some advice about the attacks that usually killed me. You only have ot make it to halfway to get the 2nd phase and if you load u0p on magic resist gear the 2nd phase is cake. I had hardly even seen the 2nd pahse on my winning run as i died before reaching the 2nd phase liek 40 times in a row.

So I got Bloodborne a couple weeks back, beat it, and left my guy sitting in the Clinic in NG+. I didn't plan on buying the DLC.

Then today I bought the DLC with no preplanning. So... here I am. My character was level 76 when I beat the game, and is now 91 after beating BSB and Amelia. So now that I can start the DLC, I have two questions google failed me on for you all.

1. I've heard it's a pretty tough DLC. Is there an actual 'recommended level' for NG+ users? Is 90 alright? Or is it more of a 'late game' thing so I should be in the hundreds now? Just looking for opinions. I'm a decent Souls player, but I've never been the 'level 1 runthrough' level of guy, either.

2. If I go there to the DLC, can I go back to the main game at any time? Surprisingly, my google searches brought up only 'here is how you get access to the DLC' topics, despite the fact that common sense tells me this one has been asked many, many times.

So yeah. I'm doing a totally blind run- I have no idea what's in the DLC. But I'm looking forward to it and just wanted some opinions and that little bit of foreknowledge just so I'm not stuck there having no fun because I'm getting one shotted by normal enemies, haha.

Cheers.

Rizzi

Man, the DLC is not fun at all. It's a bunch of shitty enemies who do way too much damage and have way too much health and are frustrating to fight.

Man, the DLC bosses are my least favourite from all the games. They're just a grind. I've beaten Ludwig so far and now am at the living nightmares. I do pretty well but again j just get worn down. I can never do enough damage to any of them so far.

Really not enjoying it.

Ratrat

Man, the DLC bosses are my least favourite from all the games. They're just a grind. I've beaten Ludwig so far and now am at the living nightmares. I do pretty well but again j just get worn down. I can never do enough damage to any of them so far.

Really not enjoying it.
Full proof way is just to run in circles and hit them when you pass by. They all share health so it doesnt matter which one. Its a much easier version of Rom basically.

Yeah, they're a blast in defiled dungeons. I also love all of the trash mobs they put in front of some of the bell maidens to make it more difficult to kill them.
I did a fetid rotted Lower Pthumeru, woo boy layer 2 was fucking crazy on top of that platform. They had a bell maiden, a fireball launching woman, and mericless watcher and probably a bag man on there. I eventually just ran passed everything to get to a lower floor, shit was crazy.
And down goes Kos, Booyah!!!!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
1. I've heard it's a pretty tough DLC. Is there an actual 'recommended level' for NG+ users? Is 90 alright? Or is it more of a 'late game' thing so I should be in the hundreds now? Just looking for opinions. I'm a decent Souls player, but I've never been the 'level 1 runthrough' level of guy, either.

2. If I go there to the DLC, can I go back to the main game at any time? Surprisingly, my google searches brought up only 'here is how you get access to the DLC' topics, despite the fact that common sense tells me this one has been asked many, many times.

So yeah. I'm doing a totally blind run- I have no idea what's in the DLC. But I'm looking forward to it and just wanted some opinions and that little bit of foreknowledge just so I'm not stuck there having no fun because I'm getting one shotted by normal enemies, haha.

Cheers.

1. Level 65 is the recommendation, level 90-ish will be absolutely fine. There will be spots where things will get rough, sure, but generally speaking you should be alright.

2. Yep, the lamps on the DLC can warp you back to the Hunter's Dream (main game) any time you wish. You then can access the DLC's lamps from the tombstone where the Doll sometimes pray on nearby the rune allotment facility.

Am I the only one crazy enough to do all the chalices? I don't have to do Lower Ailing Loran, but I'm in there anyway. It was either that or make an Isz dungeon, but I figured I'd get more Ritual Blood 5 in Lower Loran so dived right in there any way. Anybody know where I can find better radial fire gems?

I think the radial are in root version only in Ailing Loran but I am not sure, the chalices didnt hit on me so hard to really get invested in that mode

Meckaj

Neo Member
Anybody know where I can find better radial fire gems?

If you're not keen on farming the layer 3 FRC Watchdog mentioned earlier for the Abyssal gem, you can farm 23.9% fire radials off of the Bone Ash hunters in 56428adr. Big room with no other enemies in layer 1, I think.

laxu

1. If you have high vitality (maybe 35+) then maybe. I think I went to DLC slightly above level 100 and had a rough time but was able to get to the first boss. Then had to level up a lot to beat it.

2. Yeah you can go back to the main game or DLC at any time.

If you're not keen on farming the layer 3 FRC Watchdog mentioned earlier for the Abyssal gem, you can farm 23.9% fire radials off of the Bone Ash hunters in 56428adr. Big room with no other enemies in layer 1, I think.
Oddly enough I have Crescent gems for days, but a small amount of fire radials, I have some decent ones, but my fire attack is only 180 something. Might help if I +10 the cane. What kind of chalice is the bone ash hunter one? I put those things down easily since I know the parry timing pretty well.

laxu

After playing most of NG on the pimp cane (with the occasional LHB) half of NG+ and most of the DLC on the blades of mercy, the end of the DLC and the third quarter of NG+ on rakuyo, I was left with a fair amount of blood chunks and even a blood rock.. Decided on a whim to level the burial blade to +10 and give it some good gems. Holy fuck this thing is powerful. I think I might even prefer it to the Rakuyo. It seems to have the speed of a fast weapon but with insane stagger and reach. And it's so stylish! I think I might finish NG+ on the burial blade, and take it and the Rakyuo to the chalice dungeons.

(yes, I said I was done with the game a few days ago...)

edit: ok it seems that the internet disagrees and that I should have leveled the church pick instead. Whatever! Fashionsouls is real, and I'll keep bossing my badass scythe.

I went thru most of NG+ and DLC with the Burial Blade. It is pretty great. The one handed mode has surprisingly good reach, great moveset, has high rally potential and in two handed mode you're not as easily staggered when swinging. I liked mine with a bolt or fire gem earlier in the game, just haven't found a good enough physical up + bolt or fire damage gem so I'm all physical at the moment.

It also seems to be fairly good against all enemies whereas the Church Pick (which I also have at +10) really eats thru some enemies but is completely crap against others (like the Merciless Watchers).

laxu

Ok so I'm only two endings short of platinum right now but since I already
ate the umbilical cords
I can't get both of them. I was thinking doing a speedrun with a new character.

If I start a new game, does my previous character remain in another save file that I can load later or do I have to save it to cloud first? Can I save scum the two endings in NG without overwriting my main NG+ character save?

Alo0oy

Banned
Guys is Dark Souls 2 worth getting at $19.99?

If you're like me and can play Souls games all year and not get bored, get it, even with its faults it's still better than 99% of the games out there, if you don't want to burn yourself out, wait for Dark Souls 3, it's out in 3 months.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I went thru most of NG+ and DLC with the Burial Blade. It is pretty great. The one handed mode has surprisingly good reach, great moveset, has high rally potential and in two handed mode you're not as easily staggered when swinging. I liked mine with a bolt or fire gem earlier in the game, just haven't found a good enough physical up + bolt or fire damage gem so I'm all physical at the moment.

It also seems to be fairly good against all enemies whereas the Church Pick (which I also have at +10) really eats thru some enemies but is completely crap against others (like the Merciless Watchers).

Burial Blade is fancy. Pairing it up with Rakuyo for some fun roleplaying like the Hunter is the inheritor of both the original owners of those two weapons together... very cool.

Also, what weapon you wield against Merciless Watchers are largely irrelevant as they are very easy to parry, heheheh.

Ok so I'm only two endings short of platinum right now but since I already
ate the umbilical cords
I can't get both of them. I was thinking doing a speedrun with a new character.

If I start a new game, does my previous character remain in another save file that I can load later or do I have to save it to cloud first? Can I save scum the two endings in NG without overwriting my main NG+ character save?

The NG+ save file overwrites your save file so yeah. So if you want to experience all the endings without restarting the game over and over again, you can use PS+ storage *before* eating the cords and then just re-download and overwrite the save in your harddrive after you get the trophy associated with the ending.

laxu

Also, what weapon you wield against Merciless Watchers are largely irrelevant as they are very easy to parry, heheheh.

Yeah, they were just an example of an enemy that is strong against the Church pick whereas my +10 Amygdalan Arm slaughters those guys. I started using it when farming gems from the boss version of Merciless Watchers, it's just safer and a bit faster than waiting to parry them as you can just flatten them (sometimes two at the same time!) with the charged 2H R2 then do two extra hits to them (Amy arm 2H charge attack when standing still hits 3 times!) for about 1500 damage.

The NG+ save file overwrites your save file so yeah. So if you want to experience all the endings without restarting the game over and over again, you can use PS+ storage *before* eating the cords and then just re-download and overwrite the save in your harddrive after you get the trophy associated with the ending.

Can I have multiple saves in the cloud though? For example one for my NG+ character (which has already eaten the cords in NG+ and I don't want to go to NG++) then make a NG character and save that to the cloud right before the final fight? Why the hell does the menu even have Load game if you can't have separate character saves...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can I have multiple saves in the cloud though? For example one for my NG+ character (which has already eaten the cords in NG+ and I don't want to go to NG++) then make a NG character and save that to the cloud right before the final fight? Why the hell does the menu even have Load game if you can't have separate character saves...

The Bloodborne save in the HDD--and if you decide to upload it to the Cloud--is treated as just one file. But that one file does contain multiple saves of all your characters.

laxu

The Bloodborne save in the HDD--and if you decide to upload it to the Cloud--is treated as just one file. But that one file does contain multiple saves of all your characters.

Ok so now I'm confused. If I start a new game with a new character in BB, can I still load my old game with my NG+ character? This before any cloud stuff comes into play.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok so now I'm confused. If I start a new game with a new character in BB, can I still load my old game with my NG+ character? This before any cloud stuff comes into play.

Since each character gets an exclusive save spot for themselves, sure. Haven't you ever tried creating multiple characters in Bloodborne? o_O

Novocaine

Yeah you can, I have 5 different characters. You can speed run a play through pretty quick especially if you go with the easy ending.

Mutombo

I beat amygdala in the chalice dungeons depth 4. I think she was supposed to drop Depth 5. She didn't. So now how the fuck am i supposed to go depth 5 pthumerumeru?

Those red spiders are the worst. nothing is more fun than 2 or 3 bell ladies spamming an army of spiders.
Worst part is having to zig zag through a narrow ass room between spiders while out running a pissed off wolf. After I got my souls back which was over 100K I left that room before trigger the spiders only to fall to my death later by walking up a platform the wrong way. Was not enthused. I didn't bother with that area after that. Probably the worse chalice floor I can think of from the normal versions.

gogosox82

Am I the only one who found Maria easier than the living failures? I killed her on my second try, the failures on the other hand...

Failures are pretty easy, they just have a ton of health. Maria is way more interesting and way more fun to fight regardless of how easy she may be.

What's weird is that I absolutely demolished him on my first couple playthroughs but now I'm having trouble for some reason. I keep setting off his arcane explosion thing or whatever. I just need to hug him I guess. The tentacles and fists are all very easy to dodge and leave him super exposed.

Some guy invaded my game last night. Too bad I had my saw and ripped him several new ones. I also forgot I had the Hunter rune on and called for a cooperator who had the same rune. I was forced to put down my newfound friend. I realized what was going on as they came into the game but I don't think they realized what happened until it was too late.

DSmalls84

Just finished the game! Can't say I remember playing anything this challenging before but it sure was satisfying! Ended up getting 4 weapons to +10 with insight shop rocks. Trying to decide what to play next. How does Dark Souls II difficulty compare?

What's weird is that I absolutely demolished him on my first couple playthroughs but now I'm having trouble for some reason. I keep setting off his arcane explosion thing or whatever. I just need to hug him I guess. The tentacles and fists are all very easy to dodge and leave him super exposed.

Some guy invaded my game last night. Too bad I had my saw and ripped him several new ones. I also forgot I had the Hunter rune on and called for a cooperator who had the same rune. I was forced to put down my newfound friend. I realized what was going on as they came into the game but I don't think they realized what happened until it was too late.
With Micolash just stay close and circle around to his side when you see the tentacle attack. If you see him do his laser light show just shoot him when you see him put his hands up to interrupt the attack, you're fine after that and just start wailing on him.

Trying to decide what to play next. How does Dark Souls II difficulty compare?

I want to say Dark Souls is more difficult, but I played DSII before Bloodborne, so the Dark Souls games had already trained me well by the time Bloodborne came out, so BB felt considerably easier to me.

I will say this about the Souls games, though - having a shield sure is swell.

DSmalls84

Really liking the +10 Bowblade in NG+. Bow form is pretty useful for taking out dogs and gunmen at range in the early game. Sword form has a pretty simple moveset but it is a nice compliment to my BOM.

gogosox82

Just finished the game! Can't say I remember playing anything this challenging before but it sure was satisfying! Ended up getting 4 weapons to +10 with insight shop rocks. Trying to decide what to play next. How does Dark Souls II difficulty compare?

DS2 plays totally differently. Its much slower and more deliberate in the way your character moves. Highly recommended though. Its a great game.

DS2 plays totally differently. Its much slower and more deliberate in the way your character moves. Highly recommended though. Its a great game.

I am replaying it right now and wow, the stamina is actually stamina you have to administrate what to do instead of mindless backsteps

Dahbomb

DS2 is easier on the boss front that is for sure. If you learn to dodge well in DS2 then it's fine from there.

Biggest problem is the adjustment to the mechanics. You have to worry about equipment load, poise, more stat management, a slower parry, guard break move, blocking in general, more complex spells, stamina management, dual wield/2h wield/power wield etc. Also the Hollow system that removes a % of your life each time you die, not a newcomer friendly mechanic that is for sure.

Still definitely worth playing. It's also a lot longer than BB (well about the same if you just play the required content).

Top Bottom