• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Rizzi

Disregard all negative comments I have made about Bloodborne DLC.
I just fought
Lady Maria.
Yo. That is the coolest fucking fight in a video game ever.

KRaZyAmmo

btw I forget. Can you actually change runes on the fly? I don't know right now and I'm thinking about taking my character into the chalice dungeons soon.

edit: also I'm kinda buzzed right now.

gogosox82

I did mean Amelia actually

Got her down real low a couple times only to fuck up a dodge or something. Now I'm out of the numbing mist

She's weak to fire and any serrated weapons (saw cleaver, saw spear, threaded cane whip mode). Beast blood pellets also work well on her. Probably best not to lock on to her either. Camera likes to go crazy especially when she does her jump attack.

icespide

Banned
man...
Ludwig
is kicking my ass! The bosses in the main game were challenging but this one feels like a brick wall, real frustrating. might put the game down for awhile.

man...
Ludwig
is kicking my ass! The bosses in the main game were challenging but this one feels like a brick wall, real frustrating. might put the game down for awhile.

Summon the nearby NPC (downstairs from the Nightmare Church lantern) to help you. That way the boss will stop humping your face long enough for you to get some real offense in.

Got around to actually playing the DLC and finished it yesterday, content was a lot of fun and most of it was memorable.

Thematically I liked Ludwig the most, especially with the phase 2 cut-scene and the return of the Moonlight Greatsword. Really cool fight, also the fight I had the most difficulty with.

Failed Experiments was the only fight okay, nothing really interesting going on there.

Maria was decent, maybe I missed some lore somewhere but I don't really know who she is or what she was supposed to be doing there. I saw quite a few people being excited about her before playing so maybe I was expecting too much. She was the only boss I managed to kill on the first try by myself, her moveset was pretty generic / easy to read, really vulnerable to viscerals.

Orphan of Kos was great as a final boss. I liked the overall somber tone of the fight as well with the Orphan crying and the rainy coast, really fitting end to the DLC.

Laurence... Cleric Beast on fire, then halfway through the fight he's half a Cleric Beast on fire, could have just left this boss fight out and it would have probably increased the overall quality of the DLC.

I was a bit worried at the start that the entire DLC would just feature re-used areas with minor changes, but those worries quickly proved to be unfounded. Great DLC, and great end to the game. With the addition of the DLC I prefer Bloodborne's theme/setting over any of Souls games, the horror inspired stuff just works so well and in a way it feels like the evolution of what started in the Artorias DLC in Dark Souls 1.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I did mean Amelia actually

Got her down real low a couple times only to fuck up a dodge or something. Now I'm out of the numbing mist

What weapon are you using? Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear destroy her, and the Cane's Whip form also has bonus damage against her. Especially true if you use fire paper. You can very easily get your weapon to +6 for her, if you know where to look for blood stones... I can give you direction if you want.

The key to fighting her is always striking her from her side/behind, and more importantly, try striking her limbs to stagger her. And back down whenever necessary before repeating the pattern.

Ah... please don't misconstrue this as an attempt of being arrogant, but I really do consider her one of Bloodborne's easiest bosses. Her patterns are very easy to discern/avoid, and it's easy to find a setup that can totally wreck her. Just don't give up and keep at it! :)

Novocaine

Is anybody around that could help me kill Amygdala in the cursed chalice dungeon? Bells ringing, no password.

Edit bitch is dead yay!

Audioboxer

The beat claws with beast embrace are pretty damn cool on my quality build. I'm guessing pairing this up with the beast rune is advisable?

gunbo13

Well I guess I had a hidden New Years resolution to beat Kos on NG+5.

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Kos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y1yT2YJj-U

I did OK on his 1st form. I have actually timed my viscerals perfectly a few times and took his 1st form down with no damage. Most of the time I eat 1-2 attacks missing the timing a bit. His attacks come much quicker than you realize, even when you are used to them due to change in depth. I see people with alt strategies but don't see the need. If you have these timings, no taking damage, massive visceral damage, etc... make this arguably the easiest and best strategy for form 1.

Now the biggest pro-tip I have for Kos is that he does at least one 1st form attack before transformation, two if you are lucky. In the case of my vid, he did three and I missed a visceral on one. Luckily, I still got two and you can see how low his health got. Why is this important? Look at his damn 2nd form.

I got him down luckily to around 25% health scoring those two viscerals before his transformation. And he still wrecked me after. I have done better on the 2nd form but it is brutal enough that I have no shame eating a lot of attacks. With 25% it takes a combo'd ~20 hits with two-hand Whirligig. That is a huge number for how much damage he does. If you don't catch Kos at the end of form 1 like I did, he can transform at 50%, that is closer to ~40 hits... Good luck with that.

I had to eat vials like candy on his 2nd form. I had a few previous runs where I was closer to 7-8 vials and had him down to 5% health when he got me. No shame though, his 2nd form is bullshit. And on NG+5, he is indeed much harder than Laurence.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that if I had BoM, I would have torn up his 2nd form compared to the Whirligig. Way way better against him.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Ludwig
is wrecking me. Whats stupid is I fought him before with another co-op person and beat him, but this go around this bastard is just giving me the absolute blues.

I literally ran out of Insight summoning help from other players and NPCs.....and when I do either I die which fucks everything up or THEY die, which leaves me and him to duke it out unsuccessfully on my part.

This is the first time in a LONG time I felt this wack at a game against one person that I had beaten previously...its like dude seen me walk into his chamber and was like "Oh...YO ass again? C'mone...I got something REAL for you in these hands THIS time!!!!"

Novocaine

Yeah Ludwig is brutal. The hardest time I had with one of the DLC bosses.

If you need easy insight you can run the depth 1 Pthumerian dungeon over and over for 6 insight per run. Should take you 10 mins to run though it.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo

If you need easy insight you can run the depth 1 Pthumerian dungeon over and over for 6 insight per run. Should take you 10 mins to run though it.

Cool, I'd do this as needed

SxP

Beat
Orphan of Kos
after two deaths. The first two times I tried Ludwig's Holy Blade in silver sword mode and tried keep my distance and wait for parry opportunities. First time I died very quickly, the second time I just couldn't do enough damage in his second phase and eventually made a mistake and died.

It went much smoother for me though after switching to the greatsword mode and no longer trying to parry. I just got close, stayed close, and dodged forwards. Basically, the recipe for all enemies in Bloodborne. His combo's aren't like Ebrietas in that you need to dodge every swing if you're close, so he's much easier in that regard. Dodging the first swing and watching if you need to dodge again worked like a charm. And the greatsword's damage also helped finish the fight quicker.

Just
Laurence
left for this DLC. Gonna pizza-cut him to death.

Grisby

So how hard is this new dlc going to be if I already started a new game plus? When I originally beat Bloodborne I didn't think much of the dlc and just hopped into the next playthrough before setting it down.

Been meaning to get around to the Old Hunters though.

Rizzi

Whoever designed the bullshit fucking giants at the bottom of that fucking well needs to be curb stomped until their face is a bloody mush.
That shit is awful.

"D"

So how hard is this new dlc going to be if I already started a new game plus? When I originally beat Bloodborne I didn't think much of the dlc and just hopped into the next playthrough before setting it down.

Been meaning to get around to the Old Hunters though.

The first boss is generally regarded as the hardest of the DLC bosses...so you probably gonna need help with it.

The NPC hunters aren't a joke either

Be ready for death

"D"

Whoever designed the bullshit fucking giants at the bottom of that fucking well needs to be curb stomped until their face is a bloody mush.
That shit is awful.

This must be that "Well of Death" I've been hearing about....

Grisby

[QUOTE="D";190962783]The first boss is generally regarded as the hardest of the DLC bosses...so you probably gonna need help with it.

The NPC hunters aren't a joke either

Be ready for death[/QUOTE]
Wellllllllll.

Ok.

"D"

I tried that. It did literally nothing.

Oh wow, well I've personally yet to make it there...someone in my Bloodborne thread suggested using the knives.

Well that sucks...I was hoping to take that easy way out and use them. Dunno what to tell ya bro, I guess just Youtube a quick walkthrough on them

SxP

[QUOTE="D";190964265]Well that sucks...I was hoping to take that easy way out and use them. Dunno what to tell ya bro, I guess just Youtube a quick walkthrough on them[/QUOTE]

The easy way out is to not go in the well via the ladder. At the very end of the level, you can approach the well from another side. There you'll be on the high ground and they have no way of getting to you. Just run up and hit them while they recover and you're golden. Just make sure not to fall down.

Meckaj

Neo Member
What kind of chalice is the bone ash hunter one? I put those things down easily since I know the parry timing pretty well.

Bit of a late reply, but the dungeon should be a FRC Lower Loran root. Loran usually drops only waning gems (think that's what you meant by crescent) but the hunter enemies in the chalices have their gem shapes set so the chalice type (Pthumeru, Loran and Isz) does not affect their drops and the bone ash one will always drop radial gems.

Just in case, the enemy is a hunter wearing the Bone Ash set, not the boss named Keeper of the Old Lords.

gogosox82

This whole dlc with the exception of the clock tower boss is awful.

That seems a bit over the top. I will say that I think Ludwig and Laurence have too much health and Kos's second form is a bit much but I think it was a good dlc. Probably not AOTA good, but good. I'd put it on par with the DS2 dlc which was pretty good despite a few things that annoyed me about each of them.

This whole dlc with the exception of the clock tower boss is awful.

It would feel awful to see the DLC being semented in two parts like it was originally intended.

Length wise the first boss area is really short but the enemies deals massive damage to slow you down,

Research hall is basically duke archives combined with the Anor Londo rooftops you will spend more of the DLC time here because doing the main puzzle and the sidequest

Fishing Hamlet is pretty linear, outside the Well of death, is way shorter than Research Hall

In bosses term, I am still saying Ludwig harder than the Orphan, the bosses difficulty goes down drastically after him,
Maria had to do a show of Blood and Fire to be interesting because she is a normal Hunter NPC, The Orphan is agressive and compensate his weakness to parry to be insanely strong. Laurance ...well is an optional boss yet I didnt find any joy after I killed him

yeah I've been doing that, still just can't hack it :(

The key with Ludwig is being able to identify his moves as quickly as possible and dodge accordingly. Everything he does has at least a halfway-decent window except for his charge attack. If you have another player or an NPC in the boss room with you, it helps immensely since he won't be in your face the entire time. A Whirligig+10 also helps a lot.

Audioboxer

Finally killed watchdog in the defiled chalice. One step closer to the last trophy for plat!

Fucking hate these defiled dungeons.

daedalius

What weapon are you using? Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear destroy her, and the Cane's Whip form also has bonus damage against her. Especially true if you use fire paper. You can very easily get your weapon to +6 for her, if you know where to look for blood stones... I can give you direction if you want.

The key to fighting her is always striking her from her side/behind, and more importantly, try striking her limbs to stagger her. And back down whenever necessary before repeating the pattern.

Ah... please don't misconstrue this as an attempt of being arrogant, but I really do consider her one of Bloodborne's easiest bosses. Her patterns are very easy to discern/avoid, and it's easy to find a setup that can totally wreck her. Just don't give up and keep at it! :)

Yea I didn't really have much trouble with her, beat her after not too many tries. She seemed much easier than the blood starved beast!

Off to the forest

Amelia is supposed to be the last boss of the day cycle so yeah, doing her early is kinda hard and BSB will feel like a good lemon pie filled with more....lemon

That shit is awful.

I feel your rage.
Can you get the second one to drop? If so try the shaman blade trick, it's solid. If generally speaking even the first one gives you trouble (I'll be honest, I thought that OOK and Ludwig were easier than to those cunts), for me, using the old hunter bone made a world of difference. Just constantly warping behind it, one strong hit, then move the fuck out of the way (behind it again, usually). Still, they are fucking insane. INSANE! I still can't believe the reach on that lunge move (and it tracks you too)

ZangBa

Looks like I pretty much finished the DLC, got to the final boss and stopped playing for now. Honestly I'm a bit dissappointed, just didn't have as much fun with it as I thought I would. I only liked 1 boss which I think is one of the best overall, the rest are meh.
Especially Cleric Beast on fire. Lazy.
I thought I'd really like the Gabranth weapon, but it was pretty boring to use. :C

Looks like I pretty much finished the DLC, got to the final boss and stopped playing for now. Honestly I'm a bit dissappointed, just didn't have as much fun with it as I thought I would. I only liked 1 boss which I think is one of the best overall, the rest are meh.
Especially Cleric Beast on fire, lazy.
I thought I'd really like the Gabranth weapon, but it was pretty boring to use. :C

Jump to Dark Souls 2, maybe?

Jingo

Ive done ludwig, man what a feeling, but theres a downside, i used the old hunter npc, he only lasted till the second form, should i feel bad about using it?

Alo0oy

Banned
Ive done ludwig, man what a feeling, but theres a downside, i used the old hunter npc, he only lasted till the second form, should i feel bad about using it?

You made up for it by fighting him in his second form with increased health by yourself.
never feel bad about playing coop, it's part of the game

Top Bottom