• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

The thing with Living Failures is that you have to constantly move around. It's expectations. You know each enemy is not hard to damage but you know there is one enemy shooting magic shit at you. Then they do the meteor attack and you have to haul ass.

Astral

The thing with Living Failures is that you have to constantly move around. It's expectations. You know each enemy is not hard to damage but you know there is one enemy shooting magic shit at you. Then they do the meteor attack and you have to haul ass.

The meteor attacks are easily avoided if you hide behind one side of the tree since they always fall from the same direction. It's easy damage against the boss if one of the failures decides to stand in the safe zone.

gogosox82

It is only if you want gems and root versions.

The gem farming might be the worst grind I've ever had to do in all of the souls games. But it isn't really hard if you just want the platinum. You could probably do it in a day or two honestly.

This fucking byrgynwyrth hunter, what a fucking asshole

She is a pain on ng but a total push over on ng+. She has 99 in every stat, that why when she hits you, she takes off like 1/3 of your health bar.

From the network test impressions, Dark Souls 3 is closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls 2 in terms of "feel", so getting comfortable with DS2 wouldn't really help.

A caster build is a good idea, I'm playing SOTFS right now & dex builds are awful, so I respec-ed my character into a faith build, it plays much smoother now.

I'm play scholar right now with a dex build and I'm not finding it frustrating at all. You have to get adp 105 as early as possible and then you have to get chloranthy ring +2 as early as possible as well. After you get those two things done, dex builds are pretty good. Then you can add things like flynn's ring and ring of blades +2 for more damage or maybe spec into faith or int (or both for hexes) and start buffing your weapon. I'll agree its frustrating early and str builds are easier earlier because greatswords are king in this game but you can still have a good time with a dex build. It just takes a little longer to get there than in the other games.

Reused assets and bosses all over. So. Boring.

Well I did say it was boring for a reason.

The meteor attacks are easily avoided if you hide behind one side of the tree since they always fall from the same direction. It's easy damage against the boss if one of the failures decides to stand in the safe zone.
Yeah. You can also go to the one balcony and you are usually safe.

laxu

The chalices seem like they were an attempt at adding content while streamlining the design side of things. I wouldn't be surprised if the man-hours they put into chalices wouldn't even have been enough to give us another full area of the level of any of the three from the DLC.

The problem with the chalice dungeons is that they're pretty much the equivalent of sewer/factory/industrial complex levels etc in other games. Incredibly dull looking and not interesting to play. If they had instead reused the assets from the main game they might've been better.

I do like the idea of a boss arena mode where you could go to beat new and old bosses and get some extra loot if you make it but they just had to put the stupid dungeon before the good part. I did go thru all of them but it was a chore.

I'm now playing the main game with a new character and it's fun. I do wish they had given some options for new game modes. I would've loved to be able to play the main game with all my weapons but starting at level 0 without gems or all stats but base weapons at difficulty x and so on. While going straight to NG+ fits in with the lore it's kinda annoying because now that I'm playing with a new character I find that NG is easy mode by comparison. I mean in NG+ I had +9 and +10 weapons and they did less damage to first level enemies than my +1 Cleaver in NG.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Living Failures are a joke mini-boss, they're just there to fulfill their story purposes, just like the Celestial Emissary, that's why they're immediately followed by the real boss of that level.
Try killing them at NG+3 or NG+4, Living Failures ain't no pushover then.

Kos is a shit boss. 2nd phase is pure BS worse than Ludwig. Sadly I'm pretty disappointed with the bosses in this expansion. I like the actual levels though.

squidyj

From the network test impressions, Dark Souls 3 is closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls 2 in terms of "feel", so getting comfortable with DS2 wouldn't really help.

A caster build is a good idea, I'm playing SOTFS right now & dex builds are awful, so I respec-ed my character into a faith build, it plays much smoother now.

yeah right after I was done playing I went and watched like a half hour of gameplay video to try to see how responsive Dark Souls 3 would be because the entire experience shook me. It looks fine, I am relieved.

RiggyRob

Episode 29, Pimmsy vs. the
second to last final boss, Gehrman, the First Hunter
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbwYZvPzuhE

Pimmsy was laughably over-levelled at this point since we did the final DLC boss before him, and you'll see the sheer amount of damage with the final visceral attack, but it was still a decent challenge for her.

Thematically this is one of the best fights in Bloodborne, but it fell into the trap of 'slow walking towards your character into any attacks you choose to use', and I was surprised they did it again with
Lady Maria

Burial Blade's pretty sick though.

Yeah that was a great boss because I actually felt like I had to use some skill to win. Ludwig and Kos are more along the lines of cross your fingers and hope you don't get one-shotted.

Ludwig and Kos have the best/most intense second phases of any Soulsborne Bosses. Youre entitled to your opinion though.

Thematically this is one of the best fights in Bloodborne, but it fell into the trap of 'slow walking towards your character into any attacks you choose to use', and I was surprised they did it again with
Lady Maria

Imagine how overwhelming the hunter fights would be if they fought like actual hunters and constantly chased the player down. I dont thin I would have been able to beat G or M if that was the case. Actually is funny because Gascoigne is the only one that constantly charges aggressively but he has such little health an is really easy to read/parry. Maybe its a balancing thing to give players a moment of respite in the heat of the battle.

gunbo13

The only issue with the DLC bosses is scaling. All players should have the opportunity to fight and learn the two L boss patterns without tons of one shots. If the DLC had independent runs and scaling, it would be 100x better. I personally don't have an issue with the bosses outside of that.

And as stated, fight Living Failures on NG+4 or higher if you call them a joke. They hit like mack trucks.

RiggyRob

Ludwig and Kos have the best/most intense second phases of any Soulsborne Bosses. Youre entitled to your opinion though.

Imagine how overwhelming the hunter fights would be if they fought like actual hunters and constantly chased the player down. I dont thin I would have been able to beat G or M if that was the case. Actually is funny because Gascoigne is the only one that constantly charges aggressively but he has such little health an is really easy to read/parry. Maybe its a balancing thing to give players a moment of respite in the heat of the battle.

That's the thing - the boss fight Pimmsy had most trouble with in Bloodborne was Father Gascoigne simply because he's so aggressive, and to kill him it requires you to 'git gud'. It's the environment that slows him down, but it's fair because it can also slow you down too.

Ironically, I don't think there's another boss fight that's as intense as Father Gascoigne - possibly Yurie would count because she's does massive damage with any attack she does, and Byrgenwerth is an enclosed space so you can get caught up in her attacks.

gunbo13

Father G is only intense the first time around. Which was a joy. On the second round though, you can take say a +9 BoM and wreck him. He is super prone to missing on dodging and invincibility frames.

Dahbomb

The only issue with the DLC bosses is scaling. All players should have the opportunity to fight and learn the two L boss patterns without tons of one shots. If the DLC had independent runs and scaling, it would be 100x better. I personally don't have an issue with the bosses outside of that.

And as stated, fight Living Failures on NG+4 or higher if you call them a joke. They hit like mack trucks.
I did and my opinion on them really didn't change.

Living Failures are like some of the multiple enemy boss fights in Dark Souls 2. The difficulty is in numbers not mechanics. Eventually you can make the boss "hard" enough by ramping the numbers. More enemies, more HP and more damage to the point where you get one shotted by their attacks and they take ages to kill. If you play safe the boss is still a joke... you will pretty much die at this boss fight because you want to get this over with quickly so you end up over extending and getting hit by an enemy off screen.

Yup the scaling on higher NGs is ridiculous but the bosses themselves are very well designed save for a couple of iffy hitboxes in Laurence's second form. EDIT: Not saying Failures are a good fight however. Theyre pretty meh design wise. Music and Meteors are cool though.

That's the thing - the boss fight Pimmsy had most trouble with in Bloodborne was Father Gascoigne simply because he's so aggressive, and to kill him it requires you to 'git gud'. It's the environment that slows him down, but it's fair because it can also slow you down too.

Ironically, I don't think there's another boss fight that's as intense as Father Gascoigne - possibly Yurie would count because she's does massive damage with any attack she does, and Byrgenwerth is an enclosed space so you can get caught up in her attacks.

Yea on a first playthrough Gascoigne is always the most intense. He's basically the git gud fight like you said. I wish there was a way for G and M to become more aggressive but I suppose it doesnt fit with the "badass" character From was looking for. Also fuck Yurie. Her Rosmarinus and 1 shotting Call Beyond can go to Hunter Hell lol

gunbo13

If you play safe the boss is still a joke... you will pretty much die at this boss fight because you want to get this over with quickly so you end up over extending and getting hit by an enemy off screen.
I have a contrarian point of view on "playing it safe." If you play it safe or cheese a boss repeatedly, I don't see any need to fight them again on NG. You can make many bosses a joke. I did just that using the bowblade, including completely negating forms.

I use different methods and tactics against bosses per run. The last time I fought the failures it was NG+5. I used the Whirligig and a couple new tactics. First, I used the R2 charge to thwomp the melee versions, while managing the projectiles. Second, I used viscerals. The initial time I fought them I used my +10 BoM. I can wreck anything in BB with BoM and the NG+4 fight I did was no exception. I ran around to the weak links and carved them up in a few seconds. The fight was a joke.

However, that doesn't mean that the boss is a solidified joke. You simply have the ability to make it work that way. Try using a straight up strategy and say they are easy. Now, there is some merit that strategy exploits are the way to go with BB because that is the design. Kind of like Mega Man's rock paper scissors. But I disagree. NG runs are designed for you to try different strategies, including using straight up skill. If you blow away a boss, the next time you should try to even the fight. And on NG+5, the living failures pack enough of a punch to post a challenge if you fight them in a non "safe" way.

All of these reasons is why I run low armor most of the time, limit item usage, and don't use lame weapons. Bosses are only a joke when they pose little threat if you remove the exploitation. BB does a pretty good job of not having too many of these.

PS: I don't like the living failures fight. But I play BB to get the most out of it.

PS2: Also just wanted to comment on all of the GOTY talk. BB is the best game I have played since 2008 when Valkyria Chronicles blew my mind. These supposed "games" with weak combat systems can go to the recycling bin.

AEREC

Was it a bad idea to start the DLC on NG++? Just started yesterday after a long hiatus and I'm getting wrecked by some beast with claws near the beginning (near a river of blood with those blood sacs from the entrance of Cainhurst).

Was it a bad idea to start the DLC on NG++? Just started yesterday after a long hiatus and I'm getting wrecked by some beast with claws near the beginning (near a river of blood with those blood sacs from the entrance of Cainhurst).

If youre not up for a real challenge then NG++ isnt for you. Whats your level?

Living Failures only took me two tries. I was surprised there was another boss immediately after them, though. Didn't expect that.

I finally managed to beat the DLC after three days. Not impressive to those of you talking all about NG+5 and all, but I feel pretty good! Got 100% trophies in it, too. I started it in NG+ soul level 78, and now I'm around 130-140 or so just from the DLC. Pretty big difference, hah.

I just wanted to say my piece that this was an excellent DLC. I did have some trouble deciphering lore of some things, but hey- we all know what type of game it is so that's only to be expected.

I also want to emphasize that Ludwig can suck a fat one. Such a ridiculously hard boss for me, I swear. I only managed to beat him through the grace of co-op. Still, excellent DLC overall.

Rizzi

Watchdog is fucking stupid. I love getting killed in one attack because apparently -50% hp seems like a super fantastic idea!

SkylineRKR

Watch Dog isn't that hard, but you need patience. Stay in front of him at all times. Strike him after he sways to your left, he won't follow up until late in the fight. When he sways to the right he might follow up with a left so wait for that when he sways right.

Punish him when he pukes fire. After some fights you know all of his animations. When hes about the puke, rush to his side and punish him. After that he will always charge a small AoE (I think, might also only be the case after you break his leg armor).

When he does a bite combo walking forward, backstep a few times and hit him just when hes done.

When his armor his broken, his animations are slightly different. During second phase he might do 4 sways with his head, always ending on the ground. Thats the cue to strike him, the rest is too risky at this point.

Most dangerous is his rush, which is easy to notice as he's shaking his head. Unlike Ebrietas, you can evade this one at all times. Well Ebrietas probably too but I always fuck up once or twice.

I have one boss left in the Defiled Chalice then I'm off to the last one. Also I just majorly cheesed the two fishing hamlet giant dudes. F them.

My philosophy is that the game doesn't show mercy on my mistakes so I won't on its mistakes.

I am having trouble on he amygdala in the defiled chalice. I'm not sure how to coop in these either.

Once you fight him enough you start to figure out which of his attacks to dodge and back up and which ones to attack his head. The good thing about fighting Amy is that he usually gives you plenty of time to attack him after he does.

IKizzLE

I am having trouble on he amygdala in the defiled chalice. I'm not sure how to coop in these either.

Was the hardest boss on my way to the queen. You pretty much have to use a vial after every little hit which is just dumb. Took like 10 tries verses the defiled watchdog which took like 4 or 5. Everyone else, including the queen, bloodletting and abhorrent fell first try to the shining moonlight.

Pro tip, stand right in front of her arms and whack away. As soon as you see her twitch, dodge forward into her crotch twice. Should dodge everything. Rinse and repeat. When she jumps, just start running in one direction and you should be good. Having a co op partner could possibly help but most of the time, her attacks will hit everybody regardless.

How long would it take to get through the whole Chalice dungeons? and does it change in NG+ (I'm still in NG)?

There's not a time frame to give you. There's like 7 chalices you have to get through. It does not change in NG+.

Fuck it. I'm done with bloodborne. This is just ridiculous.

You just have to learn to dodge his attacks. The Defiled Watchdog isn't going to be a boss you defeat in a dozen tries. Just learn his telegraphed attacks and learn to dodge them safely. It's possible.

gogosox82

Fuck it. I'm done with bloodborne. This is just ridiculous.

So is it amy or watchdog that giving you trouble in defiled? These fights are wars on attrition. Your not going to go in there and kill them in two minutes or whatever. Watchdogs takes me at least 9 minutes everytime in defiled. Same with amy. You have to be patient, read his attacks, and then punish. I have two videos I uploaded to yt fighting watchdog. One is on my skill build and the other is on my quality build. I'll link my fight with amy just in case you were having trouble with it. Amy can be trickier because of the ridiculous range he gets near the end of the fight. But you just gotta know when to go for it and when to back off. Hope these help :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsrJKFJJQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AulmlI2oTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AxGhwEehQ

Top Bottom