• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Novocaine

Chalice dungeon stuff is the last thing I need to do to get my platinum trophy.
Seems like kind of a grind really.

If you thought the DLC was bullshit you're in for a treat. It's seems grindy on paper but it's really not that bad. You get all of the materials you need just by going through the Pthumerian dungeons aside from 2 materials you need on the last chalice.

Just did the chalice trophy for my plat yesterday. Pretty happy if never have to look at a cursed dungeon ever again.

squidyj

So I loaded up Dark Souls 2. Haven't played it in forever, never got around to doing any of the dlc.

I damn near turned it off after my first couple fights. the hit reactions, the attack animations, the visual feedback of stunlock and poise.... god.

RiggyRob

So I loaded up Dark Souls 2. Haven't played it in forever, never got around to doing any of the dlc.

I damn near turned it off after my first couple fights. the hit reactions, the attack animations, the visual feedback of stunlock and poise.... god.

That doesn't sound good! Although on my first SOTFS play through I'll be doing a Sorcerer/Magic Knight build which Bloodborne doesn't really have, so it'll be unique rather than bad for me anyway. Plus it'll help me get used to DSIII, which I'll probably need.

Alo0oy

Banned
That doesn't sound good! Although on my first SOTFS play through I'll be doing a Sorcerer/Magic Knight build which Bloodborne doesn't really have, so it'll be unique rather than bad for me anyway. Plus it'll help me get used to DSIII, which I'll probably need.

From the network test impressions, Dark Souls 3 is closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls 2 in terms of "feel", so getting comfortable with DS2 wouldn't really help.

A caster build is a good idea, I'm playing SOTFS right now & dex builds are awful, so I respec-ed my character into a faith build, it plays much smoother now.

Yeah me and my roommate switched off deaths in SOTFS today. First time I had played Ds2 since release...and...yeah...

Houndi101

Bought, subscribed thread, my current original playthrough from around release I'm level 67 with +6 Ludwigs, I guess I'll try to get my bearings where I am in the main game before going to DLC, atm wandering around the Yahar'gul Chapel area...

it took me a good 30ish tries to understand Kos but then it was so so fun

Yeah, a lot of people had trouble with him, but the only DLC boss who squashed me more than a few times was Ludwig. Kos is pretty cool once you understand that he has some long-ass windups to his attacks. Also, some of his attacks give you the perfect opportunity to dash-step behind him and set him up for a visceral with Charged R2.

The only problem I had with DLC bosses was that Ludwig and Laurence had bullshit levels of HP and the former even had that erratic, unpredictable attack style in the first phase. I just couldn't predict his moveset in that phase. Imo, the DLC would have been better if these bosses didn't have such a huge HP bar.

laxu

The only problem I had with DLC bosses was that Ludwig and Laurence had bullshit levels of HP and the former even had that erratic, unpredictable attack style in the first phase. I just couldn't predict his moveset in that phase. Imo, the DLC would have been better if these bosses didn't have such a huge HP bar.

The real problem is if enemies have essentially one shot kill attacks (really seems to only apply to NG+ or higher). Huge health bars aren't that big a deal if you can just learn how to avoid most attacks. I don't think BB has any attacks that can't be avoided one way or the other.

That said, I do wish bosses had more varied attacks. Most are simple "X amount of arms slashing from left and right", I was really disappointed that Amygdala doesn't walk on walls etc as you're used to seeing that from the lesser ones. Half the DLC bosses are also rather lazy designs.
Living Failures
is completely dull, simple 3D model (probably rehashing Celestial Emissary animations too) apart from the cosmos attack and
Laurence
is largely just Ultra Cleric Beast Super Turbo.

myco666

So Beast Claw + Beast Embrace is pretty great. Once you start get the combo going the damage starts to ramp up fast. Managed to even skip last phase of FG because I had so high damage output. Some really clutch moments in Maria fight and Laurence fight but still managed to pull through. Also OoK has lot of blind spots where you can just stand still while he attacks.

Father Gascoigne
Ludwig
Living Failures
Laurence
Lady Maria
Orphan of Kos

Thinking on starting on perma death run and maybe streaming it but have to see if I have time for that.

Alo0oy

Banned
The real problem is if enemies have essentially one shot kill attacks (really seems to only apply to NG+ or higher). Huge health bars aren't that big a deal if you can just learn how to avoid most attacks. I don't think BB has any attacks that can't be avoided one way or the other.

That said, I do wish bosses had more varied attacks. Most are simple "X amount of arms slashing from left and right", I was really disappointed that Amygdala doesn't walk on walls etc as you're used to seeing that from the lesser ones. Half the DLC bosses are also rather lazy designs.
Living Failures
is completely dull, simple 3D model (probably rehashing Celestial Emissary animations too) apart from the cosmos attack and
Laurence
is largely just Ultra Cleric Beast Super Turbo.

Both of those had huge lore significance tied to their appearance though, maybe it's disappointing to people that aren't interested in the lore in these games, but their appearance is very crucial to their stories nonetheless.

Besides, Laurence's second phase is anything but a rehash.

laxu

Both of those had huge lore significance tied to their appearance though, maybe it's disappointing to people that aren't interested in the lore in these games, but their appearance is very crucial to their stories nonetheless.

Besides, Laurence's second phase is anything but a rehash.

I understand that, but I think especially
Living Failures
could've been done better by incorporating maybe some rags of clothing from the enlarged head dudes. Laurence's first phase could've used different moves.

Sulik2

I was fooling around with bell. Ended up having two people join my game and steamrolled our way to and through Father Gasgione. That was unexpectedly fun.

rtcn63

How long is the Old Hunters? Don't remember what level I am, but I did make a few good plays at the Blood Starved Beast in one of the harder Chalice Dungeons. I'm just wondering if I should throw down the fully $20.

Alo0oy

Banned
I understand that, but I think especially
Living Failures
could've been done better by incorporating maybe some rags of clothing from the enlarged head dudes. Laurence's first phase could've used different moves.

Living Failures are a joke mini-boss, they're just there to fulfill their story purposes, just like the Celestial Emissary, that's why they're immediately followed by the real boss of that level.

Jingo

You made up for it by fighting him in his second form with increased health by yourself.
never feel bad about playing coop, it's part of the game

Now i feel a lot better, didnt even know that he had increased health bar by using an npc, what a rookie :D

The dlc bosses have been bullshit so far imo.

The first was pretty hard and OK from a design perspective but if it hadn't been for summoning I could not have beaten him.

The second however? Complete garbage and no fun at all. I do very little damage with mit ludwig+10 and it is pure tedium. Coupled with the meteorite attack I pretty much laid the game down for now. OMG what a horrible fight.

Living Failures are a joke mini-boss, they're just there to fulfill their story purposes, just like the Celestial Emissary, that's why they're immediately followed by the real boss of that level.

This. Also Laurence does have different moves in phase 1 its just not as readily apparent as 2.

For 1 all the attacks have an AOE on them, and the swipes are sped up. The swipes being sped up compared to Cleric Beast are especially why people have such a hard time with him. Go fight Cleric Beast then come back and take on Laurence and the timing is completely different for dodging his most basic attacks.

People think Laurence is a trash boss but I beg to differ. Its like the only boss in the game that forces you to play with a more Souls approach. That is to actually pay close attention to his attack patterns, and only attack when you have a clear opening. I personally love his second phase since it can be so tense having to perfectly dodge his hand slams and then countering.

The dlc bosses have been bullshit so far imo.

The first was pretty hard and OK from a design perspective but if it hadn't been for summoning I could not have beaten him.

The second however? Complete garbage and no fun at all. I do very little damage with mit ludwig+10 and it is pure tedium. Coupled with the meteorite attack I pretty much laid the game down for now. OMG what a horrible fight.

See its posts like this that make me scratch my head. Have you played a souls game before? You do realize all the games have upped the difficulty in the DLC right? Why not give us a bit more to chew on like you Level and NG or what kind of gems you have instead of coming into the thread to say "The DLC is trash because too hard for me".

See its posts like this that make me scratch my head. Have you played a souls game before? You do realize all the games have upped the difficulty in the DLC right? Why not give us a bit more to chew on like you Level and NG or what kind of gems you have instead of coming into the thread to say "The DLC is trash because too hard for me".

Honestly, why so aggressive?

I like the DLC, my rant was directed at the bosses as I said in my post.

I finished all Souls games and finished Bloodborne offline (except for DLC Boss 1) and yes, DLC boss 2 is BS and it is not difficulty related.

Honestly, why so aggressive?

I like the DLC, my rant was directed at the bosses as I said in my post.

I finished all Souls games and finished Bloodborne offline (except for DLC Boss 1) and yes, DLC boss 2 is BS and it is not difficulty related.
But the Living Failures is the easy boss. Putting on bolt paper and utilizing quick hit and run tactics should help. Run passed the magic attacks and use the giant flower in the middle to hid from the meteor attack. It should be pretty doable unless you're in some sort of NG+ cycle. I had trouble with them too so I do know where you're coming from.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Whoever decided to put the Rakuyo down in that well with them fuckin' shark men can go to hell while sucking the devil's dick

[QUOTE="D";191031954]Whoever decided to put the Rakuyo down in that well with them fuckin' shark men can go to hell while sucking the devil's dick[/QUOTE]

Ah, you found the Well. good stuff

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Ah, you found the Well. good stuff

After I warmed up the first one and he walks away to get his buddy to join, I stabbed him in the back with the Shaman Knife and let them two go at it like a dysfunctional married couple.

The winner was greeted with a baptism of steel from my Ludwig Holy Sword.

"D"

Man the chalice dungeons are super tedious.

And boring. Never played any of the Souls games but I heard their extra dungeons had more thought put into them

silva1991

[QUOTE="D";191032557]And boring. Never played any of the Souls games but I heard their extra dungeons had more thought put into them[/QUOTE]

Other souls games don't have dungeons.

"D"

Other souls games don't have dungeons.

There's nothing equivalent to the chalice dungeons in the other games? I thought I read somewhere in this thread or the Platinum thread I made that they had something like that....maybe I'm just tripping then

[QUOTE="D";191033310]There's nothing equivalent to the chalice dungeons in the other games? I thought I read somewhere in this thread or the Platinum thread I made that they had something like that....maybe I'm just tripping then[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the only one it had a similar mechanic was Dark Souls 2 with the Abyss covenant with only 3 Darkness zones available.

Astral

I'm thinking of making another Skill and Bloodtinge build but this time cosplaying as Lady Maria because she's simply so fucking cool. I have no idea how I'm gonna do it since it means not only defeating her and Ludwig at a low level, but killing those two fucking sharks at the well.

This. Also Laurence does have different moves in phase 1 its just not as readily apparent as 2.

For 1 all the attacks have an AOE on them, and the swipes are sped up. The swipes being sped up compared to Cleric Beast are especially why people have such a hard time with him. Go fight Cleric Beast then come back and take on Laurence and the timing is completely different for dodging his most basic attacks.

People think Laurence is a trash boss but I beg to differ. Its like the only boss in the game that forces you to play with a more Souls approach. That is to actually pay close attention to his attack patterns, and only attack when you have a clear opening. I personally love his second phase since it can be so tense having to perfectly dodge his hand slams and then countering.

I love fighting Laurence. It was so satisfying mastering the fight. Like you mentioned, dodging his attacks in phase 2 makes you feel like the man.

silva1991

[QUOTE="D";191033310]There's nothing equivalent to the chalice dungeons in the other games? I thought I read somewhere in this thread or the Platinum thread I made that they had something like that....maybe I'm just tripping then[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's something new they added in Bloodborne and people(mostly) didn't like it.

it's a shame they should have made new well designed areas instead.

Essay

Nope, it's something new they added in Bloodborne and people(mostly) didn't like it.

it's a shame they should have made new well designed areas instead.

The chalices seem like they were an attempt at adding content while streamlining the design side of things. I wouldn't be surprised if the man-hours they put into chalices wouldn't even have been enough to give us another full area of the level of any of the three from the DLC.

Wow, I was annoyed with kos until I figured out his timing. Then it felt like he couldn't hit me. I get one hit, dodge a bunch, and then ht again. Not too shabby! He was a good final boss.

Does the watchdog have any kind of elemental or arcane weakness to exploit? I put bolt gems on my cane and it just seemed like I was tickling him. Cane is +9 by the way.

I agree with him, and I've beaten all the souls including all the dlc. The living failures is an annoying fight because they have so much health. It was the worst fight of the dlc and in my opinion one of the worst in the series.

It didn't up the difficulty by being a challenging fight in terms of learning movesets, it did it by giving a shitty boss a million HP.

He's perfectly entitled to have his opinion. Just like you clearly have yours.

[QUOTE="D";191031954]Whoever decided to put the Rakuyo down in that well with them fuckin' shark men can go to hell while sucking the devil's dick[/QUOTE]
Miyazaki watched too many street sharks episodes

Does the watchdog have any kind of elemental or arcane weakness to exploit? I put bolt gems on my cane and it just seemed like I was tickling him. Cane is +9 by the way.

Watchdog is a beast so he is supposed to be weak to fire.
Watchdog is fire based boss so he is supposed to be strong against fire.

I dont thin you can poison him, arcane or lightning him since he is not arcane, so serration weapon or more damage to beasts gems are your best choice

Maybe if you have a squirtle.....

Top Bottom