• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS finally beat Lady Maria!!!! And all by myself :^)) Ahhh that feels so so good.

So now that I beat her, how much longer do I have with the DLC?

Thanks for the vids and tips for Amy. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I've been dodging out and I should start dodging in under it. I can get to the third phase pretty good. That extra range though. Funny thing is I easily dispatched the non chalice Amy. Was a long time ago though.

Thanks for the vids and tips for Amy. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I've been dodging out and I should start dodging in under it. I can get to the third phase pretty good. That extra range though. Funny thing is I easily dispatched the non chalice Amy. Was a long time ago though.

Yeah, once you get to the third phase you need to get under her. It will cause her to constantly try to jump on you and its easy enough to dodge and attack until she's dead. Watch out though: if you screw up once and she lands on you, its an instant one-shot kill.

Houndi101

Yeah I know.. sort of asking for spoilers which is shameful but when should I head to the DLC?
I'm lvl 70
and went through the Lecture building last night
What's the order for the rest of areas as I can now go to Nightmare frontier (which seems easier) and Nightmare of Mensis?

myco666

Yeah I know.. sort of asking for spoilers which is shameful but when should I head to the DLC?
I'm lvl 70
What's the order for the rest of areas as I can now go to Nightmare frontier (which seems easier) and Nightmare of Mensis?

I'd say go there now. Might want to do NF before that as it is already going to be very easy due to your levels. NM is last mandatory area of the main game so I would leave that last but you can go explore there as there are few really good items you might want before going to DLC.

Rizzi

I can get him to half hp easy, but he starts using a ridiculous bite attack all the time, and I can't punish him when he swings to the left any more.

Novocaine

I'm lvl 70

Do Mensis first I reckon. It's the last area before the final boss and you will be able to get your +10 weapon gem. You're way over level for Frontier so just do that whenever. The extra levels you'll get from Mensis will put you in a good position for the DLC.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, once you get to the third phase you need to get under her. It will cause her to constantly try to jump on you and its easy enough to dodge and attack until she's dead. Watch out though: if you screw up once and she lands on you, its an instant one-shot kill.

All you have to do during the jump strategy (where you attack its tail) is to just stand still when she jumps. She'll never hit you. You can hit her face once when she lands too.

myco666

All you have to do during the jump strategy (where you attack its tail) is to just stand still when she jumps. She'll never hit you. You can hit her face once when she lands too.

Not true. I've stayed still and still got hit by that jump. It is still most reliable tactic though.

SkylineRKR

Not true. I've stayed still and still got hit by that jump. It is still most reliable tactic though.

You were aligned with her feet or tail? When I end up closer to her head I sometimes walk to where her tail was. I've yet to get hit by it.

As for WD, I think you could also just wait for its fire puke. Might take ages, but he doesn't have much to hit you with from range. Its all about patience.

myco666

You were aligned with her feet or tail? When I end up closer to her head I sometimes walk to where her tail was. I've yet to get hit by it.

As for WD, I think you could also just wait for its fire puke. Might take ages, but he doesn't have much to hit you with from range. Its all about patience.

As in when she jumps? Usually between legs as you get little bit more damage there and can get faster to head from there. It just feels very luck based if you get hit by it or not.

edit.
Does my chalice dungeon progress carry over if I go in to ng+?

Yes it carries over. Just get all chalice materials you can from the main game before jumping into NG+ so that you don't need to go through whole game just to get those items.

neoemonk

I just got into this yesterday. I'm playing on NG+ and I got my level up to 100 before jumping in.

It's...not easy.

I want to use the new weapons but I think they are probably going to be pretty weak compared to what I've been using. I played through all of NG with the Threaded Cane and was able to get the Burial Blade up to +8 by the time I beat Amelia in NG+.

RiggyRob

Pimmsy's streaming her NG+ playthrough at the moment, currently running through Hypogean Gaol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFeM6iTB4Bo

Still getting used to streaming, the YouTube 'Control Room' is pretty fancy, and I think we have 2 people watching via PSN? I've got the chat hidden so I can't see if they're saying anything since I think it would distract her.

Having a go at Darkbeast Paarl right now!

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm play scholar right now with a dex build and I'm not finding it frustrating at all. You have to get adp 105 as early as possible and then you have to get chloranthy ring +2 as early as possible as well. After you get those two things done, dex builds are pretty good. Then you can add things like flynn's ring and ring of blades +2 for more damage or maybe spec into faith or int (or both for hexes) and start buffing your weapon. I'll agree its frustrating early and str builds are easier earlier because greatswords are king in this game but you can still have a good time with a dex build. It just takes a little longer to get there than in the other games.

Sorry, I just saw your reply now, my main frustration is not being able to aim your rolling attacks, my dex builds in Souls games usually involve shield-less two handing fast weapons, or in DS2's case powerstancing daggers, I don't know what they were thinking when they made it that way, in DS2's case strength builds are favored in both shield builds & shield-less builds because aiming your roll attacks is not as crucial when using greatswords with good range.

Demon's, Dark, & Bloodborne all allowed you to aim your rolling attacks.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ability to buy Blood Rocks for 60 Insight, Chunks now cost 20 instead of 30, Boom Hammer uses less stamina.

Yeah, I heard about the Blood Rocks & Chunks, not interested in the Boom Hammer. Thanks, no Rakuya nerf is all I wanted to hear.

Closing DS2 & starting Bloodborne immediately, & the drop to 30fps is really jarring (I never noticed it before, not to that extent at least), I think I'm gonna take a break for a few hours.

AAK

A Noob question here, but I bought the Old Hunters online from my PC and asked it to download to my PS4 (which was on standby). When I check my PS4 the next day I don't see any notification that it was downloaded. And when I go to the PSStore to re-download it I don't get any option to, it just says "purchased". How exactly do I get this thing on my PS4 now?

SkylineRKR

A Noob question here, but I bought the Old Hunters online from my PC and asked it to download to my PS4 (which was on standby). When I check my PS4 the next day I don't see any notification that it was downloaded. And when I go to the PSStore to re-download it I don't get any option to, it just says "purchased". How exactly do I get this thing on my PS4 now?

You have it. Beat Amelia, activate nighttime and pick up the item from the messengers in hunters dream. Then let yourself get frenzy grabbed in the cathedral ward courtyard, where the set was.

So I just booted up to play and my altar for the defiled chalice is empty. God damn everything. It was doing some weird things when I exited after I died. It gave me the death screen twice then went to the main menu. When I loaded back in I was in the Hunter's Dream and my chalice was gone.

gunbo13

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Shadows of Yharnam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhf-P88KDSo

Did not use BBP here. Decided that I wanted to go back to 2H BoW, the ultimate. Eventually you return to your b&b.

Went with taking out ranged attacker first then taking on the more challenging forms. I could have popped a BBP at the end but oh well.

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Abhorrent Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYt34HeZ3I

From decided to put you on a small roof. Take that as a hint on how to take this beast down. Don't let him get distance on you. I can take him out quicker with less potions for sure, but this is good enough.

EDIT:
Did not realize that killing the WoH ruins Eileen's quest. I haven't fought the dumb hunter since NG+3 and wanted a new shot. :(

RiggyRob

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Shadows of Yharnam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhf-P88KDSo

Did not use BBP here. Decided that I wanted to go back to 2H BoW, the ultimate. Eventually you return to your b&b.

Went with taking out ranged attacker first then taking on the more challenging forms. I could have popped a BBP at the end but oh well.

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Abhorrent Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYt34HeZ3I

From decided to put you on a small roof. Take that as a hint on how to take this beast down. Don't let him get distance on you. I can take him out quicker with less potions for sure, but this is good enough.

EDIT:
Did not realize that killing the WoH ruins Eileen's quest. I haven't fought the dumb hunter since NG+3 and wanted a new shot. :(

The Witch of Hemwick doesn't ruin Eileen's quest - Pimmsy literally just killed The Witch of Hemwick and then killed Henryk during the stream I posted above: https://youtu.be/fFeM6iTB4Bo (3:15, then 11:30).

gunbo13

The wiki's wrong, there's literal video proof of Pimmsy killing the Witch of Hemwick and then doing Eileen's quest.

The hidden cut-off point for talking to Eileen at Cathedral Ward is seeing Darkbeast Paarl I believe.
OK cool. So I should go kill Darkbeast or just interact then hunter's mark out?

Archon473

If you enter your PS4 library, your Bloodborne data should show "1 Add-on." Open the game data and it should tell you the content is installed.

Depends on what you want to do, personally I'd check Eileen's possible locations (sewers, Tomb of Oedon and Cathedral Ward) before trying Paarl.

Killing Rom ends her sidequest if you dont start it, killing the witches makes Eileen move to cathedral ward in one of the entrance before facing Vicar.

Defeating Vicar start all the remaining sidequest, Eileen move/forces to move to the cathedral ward

Also if you go to Oedon tomb , the hostile hunter can possible kill her if you pass and activate the event

Alo0oy

Banned
The wiki's wrong, there's literal video proof of Pimmsy killing the Witch of Hemwick and then doing Eileen's quest.

The hidden cut-off point for talking to Eileen at Cathedral Ward is seeing Darkbeast Paarl I believe.

AFAIK, seeing Forbidden Woods is what causes her quest to progress, once you see the "Forbidden Woods" text & got your insight from the first visit, she moves from the Cathedral Ward.

Sanctuary

So, for my first playthrough of this DLC, it seemed like the hunter enemies (well hell, most enemies in general) are overtuned. They hit super hard, and seemed to be damage sponges, but this was sub 400 AR at the time. I was just a strength build for my first attempt, but I went back with another character later as Arcane and oh my god.

Augur of Ebrietas makes all of the Hunter type enemies a complete joke. I didn't know that it could also parry, and I would end up landing a few randomly without even trying that. Was just going for a knockdown, since you can do a knockdown, attack, attack, knockdown loop that they typically can't get out of. Going to grab A Call Beyond and see how that does on Ludwig.

Alo0oy

Banned
Just saw Sunlight Blade's recent upload.

Yup, that confirms it, Rakuya is the best Bloodborne weapon.

So, for my first playthrough of this DLC, it seemed like the hunter enemies (well hell, most enemies in general) are overtuned. They hit super hard, and seemed to be damage sponges, but this was sub 400 AR at the time. I was just a strength build for my first attempt, but I went back with another character later as Arcane and oh my god.

Augur of Ebrietas makes all of the Hunter type enemies a complete joke. I didn't know that it could also parry, and I would end up landing a few randomly without even trying that. Was just going for a knockdown, since you can do a knockdown, attack, attack, knockdown loop that they typically can't get out of. Going to grab A Call Beyond and see how that does on Ludwig.

Executioner's Gloves is a better damage-dealing spell.

EDIT: And Tiny Tonitrus as well, a call beyond has terrible tracking & costs too many bullets.

I can't seem to get confirmation on this from others saying different things on other sites. Does Bloodletter's transformed mode only scale off of Bloodtinge? Or does it also scale from Strength/Arcane.

Just finished the Old Hunters dlc. I was using a character on NG++ and I think that contributed to the dlc being a... challenge to say the least. I probably died on Ludwig and the shark giants guarded Rakuyo more than all my deaths in the main game combined. I feel like maybe I would have enjoyed the experience more if I had started a fresh character... I liked a lot of parts but I've never been half as frustrated with any part of Bloodborne (or any souls game for that matter) as I was when fighting Ludwig and those giants. Way more frustrating than fun.

Maybe I'm just being a crybaby. I really did enjoy the Orphan of Kos and Maria fights.

So for the last few days, my two-handed ax R2 from behind now spins around every enemy instead of just stunning them. Anyone else?

The second hit?

Just finished the Old Hunters dlc. I was using a character on NG++ and I think that contributed to the dlc being a... challenge to say the least. I probably died on Ludwig and the shark giants guarded Rakuyo more than all my deaths in the main game combined. I feel like maybe I would have enjoyed the experience more if I had started a fresh character... I liked a lot of parts but I've never been half as frustrated with any part of Bloodborne (or any souls game for that matter) as I was when fighting Ludwig and those giants. Way more frustrating than fun.

Maybe I'm just being a crybaby. I really did enjoy the Orphan of Kos and Maria fights.

Is your first Souls? You will naturally understand to save a fresh character right at the final boss in each Soul game for the incoming DLC, then end the game to see the consecuences of the DLC; if there is any. There is no consecuence in Bloodborne sadly, aside from extra dialogue

rtcn63

Picked up the DLC. Beat Ludwig on my first go, although I did have Henrietta around. I accidentally summoned her because I didn't realize what those glowing red spots were (I play offline). Don't have the MLGS yet, I have most of my points in strength and skill, worth putting some in arcane to wield it? My main is the Holy Blade.

Top Bottom