• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

The story stuff that you get when you wear Chuch Hunter gear is really pretty good. One of my favourite parts of the game.

It is really good but it is a shame that other attire sets don't have any effect. Would love if Alfred had hostile dialog if you wear Cainhurst set etc.

laxu

Then what the fuck are they even in the game for?

They work fine but getting powerful enough gems is tricky. They're best when combined with a weapon that can do both physical and elemental damage. It really comes down to what enemies are weak against - beasts don't like fire, kin hate bolt and some specific enemies are weak against arcane damage.

Hydrargyrus

Hi!

I'm just started my NG+ after beating the Old Hunters and I've found a door that I was unable to open during the first round.
You can access the door from the Oedeon Chapel, after fighting a big guy with a big iron ball with a chain.

I've made some captures of the place

w7f6FnV.png

fc6VOg4.png

D50AX8b.png

The door says that is blocked. How do you open it?

Thanks!

They work fine but getting powerful enough gems is tricky. They're best when combined with a weapon that can do both physical and elemental damage. It really comes down to what enemies are weak against - beasts don't like fire, kin hate bolt and some specific enemies are weak against arcane damage.
Sounds like it's better if I just put them on the Burial Blade then.

Mutombo

Hi!

I'm just started my NG+ after beating the Old Hunters and I've found a door that I was unable to open during the first round.
You can access the door from the Oedeon Chapel, after fighting a big guy with a big iron ball with a chain.

w7f6FnV.png

fc6VOg4.png

D50AX8b.png

Thanks!

You can't. People expected this door to be an entrance for some DLC stuff, or it's a secret no one has exposed, but apparently, you just can't.

neoism

Hi!

Thanks!
nothing....

Rizzi

Really not a fan of defiled amygdala. Love getting jumped on and not being able to see where I should go to avoid it because "lol camera sucks"

Really not a fan of defiled amygdala. Love getting jumped on and not being able to see where I should go to avoid it because "lol camera sucks"

My strategy against that was to time it in my head and use the i-frames to avoid getting hit.

"1..2..dodge"

Ohnonono

So I am on my first play of this amazing game and have a question about the DLC. I have it installed and I got the item to get transported but I am not sure when I should go do it. I have killed BSB, Witches, Amelia, Father, Cleric, Shadows and I have the lantern right before Rom. I have a +6 ludwigs and a +6 saw clever. I am level 50 or so (maybe a couple more.) I know after Rom I still have Nightmare and Cainhurst as options as well. So what say you GAF, first time through the game what level should I hit the DLC?

myco666

Soooo....Orphan of Kos strategy? Also how much further to the end of the dlc?

Charge attack + Visceral attack. Does wonders on the first phase. Second phase is little bit trickier but you can use the same tactic. Also fight in water so that you won't miss viscerals that easy and have more distance on the lightning attack. You can also parry his attacks.

That is the last story boss of the DLC.

edit.

So I am on my first play of this amazing game and have a question about the DLC. I have it installed and I got the item to get transported but I am not sure when I should go do it. I have killed BSB, Witches, Amelia, Father, Cleric, Shadows and I have the lantern right before Rom. I have a +6 ludwigs and a +6 saw clever. I am level 50 or so (maybe a couple more.) I know after Rom I still have Nightmare and Cainhurst as options as well. So what say you GAF, first time through the game what level should I hit the DLC?

I would say that lvl 50 is the minimum to enter the DLC but would recommend lvl60-75 for the first time through.

laxu

The door does connect around to the Cleric Beast bridge though, despite being unopenable.

Exactly. I think it was originally supposed to be a shortcut or even the main path. If you go towards Cathedral Ward from that door you find there's a gate with a lever (next to a giant) but it is already open when you first encounter it.

The route to Cathedral Ward from the Papa G fight is thru some sewers and ladders so it feels more like an alternative route. Perhaps originally you were supposed to progress to Cathedral Ward after Cleric Beast (which apparently was a lot tougher in the initial test version) and Papa G was an optional boss. Eileen was possibly supposed to help with that fight instead of Henryk but at some point they decided to have you go thru G first so they had to add Henryk in there to have the Eileen storyline.

I wish they had at least patched that door to work so you could open it from the Cathedral Ward side.

laxu

Spend all your echoes and go for it, see how far you get and at least try to collect all items you can before the first boss even if it means running away from some hunters. You can get some rather good weapons from the DLC that will help you with the main game so if you get stumped by the first boss or anything before it then just go back to main game until you're leveled up.

Melchiah

Beat
Ludwig and Living Failures
on the third try, although I was accompanied by NPC hunter on the former.
Beast Blood Pellet and Bolt Paper
worked well in the latter.

Laurence and Maria
seem like pretty hard bosses. I almost beat the former with the help of NPC hunter, but was killed due to depleting my blood vial supply. As for the latter, it's hard to parry and dodge the attacks due to their speed and reach, not to mention healing inbetween them. Any tips for the fight? I'm using the Cane, and have 50/skl, 40/vit, and 30/end.

EDIT:
You had Church attire on you. That makes him ask the question since he thinks you are a Church hunter.

I didn't know that. Are there any other situations where the Church set gives you additional dialogue?

Beat

Laurence and Maria
seem like pretty hard bosses. I almost beat the former with the help of NPC hunter, but was killed due to depleting my blood vial supply. As for the latter, it's hard to parry and dodge the attacks due to their speed and reach, not to mention healing inbetween them. Any tips for the fight? I'm using the Cane, and have 50/skl, 40/vit, and 30/end.

EDIT:

I didn't know that. Are there any other situations where the Church set gives you additional dialogue?
Maria isn't too bad if you know when to parry, she also seems to be weak to at least fire as well.

myco666

Beat

Laurence and Maria

EDIT:

Adella can only be saved if you have Church attire and some of the dialogue when knocking on doors and windows change depending on if you have Church set or no. Yahar'Gul set also seems to change dialog. So not very much is changed but still.

As for Lady M parrying makes that fight very easy. Also she stuns from pretty much any hit so spamming R1 is very viable.

Rizzi

... There is a room in the great isz chalice that is literally the worst enemy placements ever. Two celestial fuckers shooting the second you enter, three brain suckers, two of which are guarding the stairs to reach the celestials and two of the big annoyingly aggressive werewolves. Yeah that's fun.

Melchiah

Maria isn't too bad if you know when to parry, she also seems to be weak to at least fire as well.

Adella can only be saved if you have Church attire and some of the dialogue when knocking on doors and windows change depending on if you have Church set or no. Yahar'Gul set also seems to change dialog. So not very much is changed but still.

As for Lady M parrying makes that fight very easy. Also she stuns from pretty much any hit so spamming R1 is very viable.

I'll just have to learn the timing to parry her then.

I knew about Adella, but didn't know about the other dialogue changing in the main game based on the attire.

Sanctuary

In Souls games one shot typically means "beat on the first try".

And no matter how hard you think a boss is, there's always someone on the Internet that has one shot it.

One-shot for as long as I can remember outside of an MMORPG (and even inside when used to describe specific attacks) has always meant killing or being killed by a single attack. Even in WoW they had a trash mob in Sunwell called "One-shot the robot".
But the word is used interchangeably, and sometimes it's up to the reader to get the context.

Side note: Rom still fucking sucks, and is the least fun boss design in the game. Give me a boss with cheap "one-shot" attacks that kills me quickly any day over this slog shittfest of having to clear out a bunch of spiders that can one-shot the player, especially off screen when you're strafing to hit one on the side or back at any point during the encounter (usually after spending so much time getting Rom to less than half, or almost dead). The fight isn't technically hard, it just sucks and the new summons don't really do much to help either, since they spend so much time trying to kill the spiders from the front, and end up just dying. It also sucks when the game literally bugs out and you end up with double swarm drops, making you have to wait a good minute or two until they disperse enough for you to juke in for a single fucking swipe, then dodging like crazy, praying you don't get dive bombed, or hit with an explosion or arcane meteors on your way out.

Just saw Sunlight Blade's recent upload.

Yup, that confirms it, Rakuya is the best Bloodborne weapon.

Executioner's Gloves is a better damage-dealing spell.

EDIT: And Tiny Tonitrus as well, a call beyond has terrible tracking & costs too many bullets.

Yeah, most of the information about A Call Beyond was pretty off. Most things written talked about how the tracking is so good on large bosses, and is better the farther away you are. I think I only ended up landing four of the bolts at most on Ludwig at any given time. I think the most damage I did was 1280 or so with it. Yes, the Executioner's Gloves are better if all three orbs hit. Otherwise it has one of the worst damage per bullet ratios. Also, I wasn't using the Augur for damage, but for defense/lockdown. The fact that it does 390+ damage isn't too shabby either for one bullet, but the side effect of getting random parries makes it my "go to" tool.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
... There is a room in the great isz chalice that is literally the worst enemy placements ever. Two celestial fuckers shooting the second you enter, three brain suckers, two of which are guarding the stairs to reach the celestials and two of the big annoyingly aggressive werewolves. Yeah that's fun.

Fuck that room, i know that room. Hit run, then hope you get lucky with your werewolf counters. God, I hope they ditch the chalice dungeons or get aggressive with their asset use so not every room looks the same in a different filter.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so I finally remembered that the DLC got out.
I had just started my NG+, and currently sitting at lv 92. Is that enough for the DLC?

Also, my memory is a bit fuzzy: do I need to beat BSB to get to Amelia?

myco666

Ok, so I finally remembered that the DLC got out.
I had just started my NG+, and currently sitting at lv 92. Is that enough for the DLC?

Also, my memory is a bit fuzzy: do I need to beat BSB to get to Amelia?

Nope if you are on NG+ and killed CB on NG. Just buy Hunter Chief Emblem.

For a game about fighting giant beasts, you'd think the camera would be less shit while actually fighting them.
Which boss? Game shits itself to death fighting Loran Darkbeast, that's the worst offender I can think of cause I always get caught on that piece of shit while I'm trying to dodge out of its AOE attack.

myco666

Rey Dhimitri has a video where he/she does nothing but parry Maria that I used as a guide.

The no damage ng+7 guy? That video is pretty terrible for guide purposes considering he is done in very few hits. Impressive stuff though.

For a game about fighting giant beasts, you'd think the camera would be less shit while actually fighting them.

Only boss that I had problems with camera was Paarl as he is too fast for manual camera control and lock-on makes camera spin very easily. Other than that I think it is pretty fine.

rtcn63

Beat Lady Maria.

The trick was to stay super close, especially in her later forms. It was the only way I could reliably dodge her delayed attack. I wouldn't even use a vial unless I got her to her second stage (to conserve them). She was easier than Artorias overall, although I am at level 100 or so.

I also upgraded my Holy Greatsword to +9, but my arcane is at the bare minimum so I stuck with Ludwig's. I do like the moveset.

And is there any point to fighting the giant sharkfin guys in the well? The one with the ladder descending into it from the Hamlet.

The no damage ng+7 guy? That video is pretty terrible for guide purposes considering he is done in very few hits. Impressive stuff though.
Yes that guy. I didn't like it at all from an entertainment standpoint but it did help me see when I should try pulling the trigger at least. Even after that my fight with Maria was still pretty legit.

Jingo

People i need your help, i need to choose another weapon but i dont know how, all this time ive only been playing with the hunters axe cause i like so much his attacks, the way the weapons swings and sweeps all the enemies with his charge attack makes me very difficult to let her go, but theres so many weapons in the game that i feel guity playing with only one.

Can anyone recomend a good weapong that his strikes resemble the axe?

I liked the Holy moonlight blade, but didnt like so much that it waists a bullet everytime i charge an attack, making me go out of bullets really quick.

Im trying the pizza cutter and also feels good, but i really would like to know your opinions, thank you

WeTeHa

I tried rolling at first as well, but repeatedly getting 1-hit killed after 5 minutes of hitting the tail/legs sucked big time, so I changed my approach. Stay far away and always strafe left. Bait attacks and once the attack pattern is over hit the left arm that is on the floor 1-3 times. Sometimes you can even get a hit on the head in if you are quick.

Just bait the attacks and you should be fine. You have to watch out though, once she uses the arms to increase the reach, i usually dodged just to be safe. Made the fight a lot longer, but safer. Once you learn the attack pattern it should be easy.

I was usually so far away it was easy to avoid all the attacks. Amygdala only used her jumping attack once or twice during the last phase. Most of the time it's just an attack combo with the ground slam with the energy orbs at the end.

rtcn63

Bullets become inconsequential if you play the game mostly two-handed. I'm constantly at max storage. There are enemies in the DLC that drop 5-10 bullets at a time.

People i need your help, i need to choose another weapon but i dont know how, all this time ive only been playing with the hunters axe cause i like so much his attacks, the way the weapons swings and sweeps all the enemies with his charge attack makes me very difficult to let her go, but theres so many weapons in the game that i feel guity playing with only one.

I liked the Holy moonlight blade, but didnt like so much that it waists a bullet everytime i charge an attack, making me go out of bullets really quick.

Im trying the pizza cutter and also feels good, but i really would like to know your opinions, thank you
If you're running a strength build Pizza Cutter should be all you need.

If you're running a strength build Pizza Cutter should be all you need.

RiggyRob

Episode 30, Pimmsy vs.
the final boss, Moon Presence
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNuKGT3azE

Again, as she was extremely overlevelled this wasn't too hard of a fight, and I'd argue that
Moon Presence
looks scarier than it actually is. The
red flash that reduces you to 1 HP is only really deadly if you get hit by the blood bubble meaning you can't heal as well - as long as you keep your distance and you've got the vials to compensate for it, it effectively does nothing.

And that concludes Pimmsy's NG playthrough! (although you may have already seen she's well on her way through NG+). She plays games in a very different way that I do - she doesn't care about story and will mash through it just to get back to playing, so Bloodborne continually progressing to the next cycle is actually perfect for her, even if she doesn't care about the story connotations of it.

icespide

Banned
so I never summoned for help in the main game, but I've summoned for all of the DLC bosses so far. no shame, these things are hard as fuck

Rizzi

Got my platinum, and now the psn is down so it won't sync. If this shit didn't save, I am throwing my PS4 out the damned window.

Top Bottom