• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

I find Central Yharnam the best place to farm them since I can just stomp my way through there and one hit everything. At the end though, my level was so high that I could have tons of extra souls before a boss room but not even close to be able to level so I would just buy Blood Vials. I didn't want to risk dying to the boss and losing those souls so I would try to use as much of my echoes as possible.

I do that as well, except I farm the bloodbags outside of Cainhurst.

myco666

Hum, sitting at 32 Vit after some levelingI think I'll try it the hard way, leveling isn't that much fun...

Though I am getting wrecked by Ludwig.

I managed that fight with 35 Vit on NG+. Banged my head against the wall for a while but it is definitely doable at that Vit.

Guys did 1.09 improved framerate? I am playing the DLC now and while there are still stutters and all it certainly feels smother fps wise. Is it just me?

I really doubt that and IMO it feels the same as before.

Jisgsaw

I managed that fight with 35 Vit on NG+. Banged my head against the wall for a while but it is definitely doable at that Vit.

Good to know, thanks.

I sometimes regret doing a fast glass canon in moments like these (I spent most of my NG with 1/3 more end than vit), but oh well, that's how I like to play it. Will surely bang my head against a wall a couple of times too though...

KRaZyAmmo

Thank you, i endep up maximizing the pizza cutter and its way stronger with gems than the hunters axe, can anyone tell me if i gather the insight, i can buy another blood rock?

You'll need 60 insights to buy a blood rock in the insight shop. So go gather them insights if you want it.

rtcn63

Don't forget to eat all your madman's knowledge etc. for insight.

Can the MLGS stagger at all? It's both weaker than my Ludwig's and the latter has the ability to stagger. I've got 21 arcane, 50/50 strength/dex.

ta155

Gee I'm having a rough time against those two hunters you come up against shortly after you fight Ludwig. Can I not summon an AI buddy to help?

rtcn63

Gee I'm having a rough time against those two hunters you come up against shortly after you fight Ludwig. Can I not summon an AI buddy to help?

Use the beds (or whatever) and walls to your advantage. The melee one can be cornered, and the beds are useful in separating him and the spellcaster.

Jisgsaw

What's a good cap on vitality for new game plus. Got 40 40 for skill bloodtinge and 30 vitality.

That really depends on how you play.
I was doing fine in NG+ with 28 Vit IIRC (... till I started the DLC), up to Amelia. I also just went through to the first shortcut in the forest (to unlock Valtr) without much problems. Though a couple missed dodges means death, so you have to play dodgy (so high endurance is nice to have).

I can't put this down until I kill Laurence. :p

I figured out that like the Cleric Beast, he's a lot more manageable if you don't lock onto him. Are there any runes that are especilly helpful against him? Would physical damage or fire damage reduction be more helpful?

Astral

Isn't the recommended level for PvP and co-op around 120? Upping Vitality to 50 on a build that has 50 on say both skill and bloodtinge will increase your level by at least 20.

Melchiah

Yeah, it puts your feet at about their head level. So you use jump attacks or a ground-hitting attack to damage them. But their attacks clip up too, so while you're out of the way of the low sweeping attacks, you should still watch yourself.

Shaman Bone Blade is hilarious to use.

Was just killed by another further on from the first. Damn they're hard to parry. This is going to take some practise.

I can't put this down until I kill Laurence. :p

I figured out that like the Cleric Beast, he's a lot more manageable if you don't lock onto him. Are there any runes that are especilly helpful against him? Would physical damage or fire damage reduction be more helpful?

I used both, rally rune, and Charred attire. Bolt Paper and Cane's whip form for offense. Any serrated weapon is probably a plus.

Isn't the recommended level for PvP and co-op around 120? Upping Vitality to 50 on a build that has 50 on say both skill and bloodtinge will increase your level by at least 20.

Closer to 110, since you can fight people who refuse to go higher in level for PvP, but 120 is another close second.

I used both, rally rune, and Charred attire. Bolt Paper and Cane's whip form for offense. Any serrated weapon is probably a plus.

I think I'm doing okay. I got him down to a third of his HP once. I died just as he changed forms. Some of his attacks are a tad unpredictable. Sometimes the one where he sweeps with his left arm first leads to a really dangerous combo, and I sometimes end up being near him when he initiates it. >.<

That, and the one where he turns around and leaps at you when you're behind him. Those seem to be the two main ones that do me in.

That really depends on how you play.
I was doing fine in NG+ with 28 Vit IIRC (... till I started the DLC), up to Amelia. I also just went through to the first shortcut in the forest (to unlock Valtr) without much problems. Though a couple missed dodges means death, so you have to play dodgy (so high endurance is nice to have).

You're going to want that 50 vitality.

Thanks for the response. I'm using stamina runes on my character so I'm doing alright with stamina. I'm pretty evasive with my character so I guess I will prioritise any levelling up to vitality as I go through the game.

Melchiah

I think I'm doing okay. I got him down to a third of his HP once. I died just as he changed forms. Some of his attacks are a tad unpredictable. Sometimes the one where he sweeps with his left arm first leads to a really dangerous combo, and I sometimes end up being near him when he initiates it. >.<

That, and the one where he turns around and leaps at you when you're behind him. Those seem to be the two main ones that do me in.

Yeah, the last phase is challenging. The NPC helper that accompanied me always died pretty soon after it started. Considering I emptied my supply of Blood Vials every time I reached the finishing line, you might also look into equipping a rune that lets you carry more of them.

Alo0oy

Banned
Just saw this awesome Vilebloods vs Executioners fanart on Reddit:

Arn8pq9.png

rtcn63

Beat
Orphan of Kos. I just told myself that I couldn't continue the DLC, cleared my head, and somehow I kicked his ass. His final stage is still BS though because of the camera/lock-on being near useless.

So I was supposed to give brain fluid to that lady in the research hall? I killed those body-less heads and they didn't drop anything, so I assumed the item wasn't in the area. EDIT: Oh it's a specific one? That's not fair, how I was supposed to know that there was a unique.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and make a Simon's Bowblade-only build, I'm really not looking forward to 20 more hours of chalice dungeon farming for the 27.2% gems.

Damn it FROM, just patch those gems in NG+, why do we need to farm the most boring boss ever 100 times just to get good equipment?

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and make a Simon's Bowblade-only build, I'm really not looking forward to 20 more hours of chalice dungeon farming for the 27.2% gems.

Damn it FROM, just patch those gems in NG+, why do we need to farm the most boring boss ever 100 times just to get good equipment?

Will you let us know what your build ends up being? I copied your Lady Maria build and fucking love it lol

Dereck

A million people asked this already, I don't think I saw it in the OP.

Beat game first and come back and do DLC?

Start a new game and just beat DLC and continue on with game?

Beat game, start new game plus and go play DLC?

I don't know what's going on. If the question has already been answered somewhere else please link.

rtcn63

You're going to want to be at near end game levels before tackling the DLC. I was lvl 100 when I started (first playthrough), and the bosses still gave me a challenge. The regular enemies are actually pretty easy though, and tend to die quick.

I don't know what's going on. If the question has already been answered somewhere else please link.

NG+ DLC hits pretty hard compared to NG DLC. some found the experience annoying

gogosox82

Ludwig
is a terrible fight.

He ain't that bad but I will say he has too much hp and his first phase is really annoying. Second phase is amazing and really fun to fight against.

Can't say I disagree. Farming the gems to me is the worst grind from has ever put in a souls game. Really hope they rework the entire gem system if they do Bloodborne 2.

Probably best to get to the end of the game but don't beat it and then go do the dlc and then beat the game after your done with the dlc.

Dahbomb

Best way to tackle this DLC IMO is to go through the game normal and when you get to the point of no return in the end game (check online to see what that is, it's after you beat the Wet Nurse) you then start the DLC. Then you beat the actual final boss of the game.

DLC is honestly end game status.

What's so bad about farming gems? I've never done it so I don't know. I probably will have to soon.

The best ones are tied to root chalices or just have random stats on the main story so you have to grind for find one suitable for your weapon, triangle gems are quite rare too

Bruzur

Neo Member
What's so bad about farming gems? I've never done it so I don't know. I probably will have to soon.

Honestly, if you sport all three of the Eye Runes alongside
Milkweed
- you'll be in good form.

I was able to get the Physical ATK UP 27.2% with Stamina Increase(s), on two weapons (6 total gems) in about 6-8 hours of farming over the course of a week.

I just use the same glyphs repeatedly and pray to RNGesus.

For the record, I rather prefer the stamina increase effect as opposed to the weapon durability down or Beast/Kin damage decreases. IMO, having maximum output, with limitations to my chained-attacks is a small price to pay when I don't have to compromise worrying which enemies I'm up against.

Alo0oy

Banned

The best gems are in depth five all rites chalice dungeons, dropped by merciless watchers, they're a very easy boss, but because the best blood gems are cursed ones, they always drop gems with shitty negative effects like deplete HP or ATK down, if you're lucky and they drop a stamina down negative that gem may or may not have the highest possible increase attack % (the highest is 27.2%).

Unless the RNG gods really love you, it's going to take you ~20 hours of beating the same boss over and over to get three gems with desirable negative effects.

The best gems are in depth five all rites chalice dungeons, dropped by merciless watchers, they're a very easy boss, but because the best blood gems are cursed ones, they always drop gems with shitty negative effects like deplete HP or ATK down, if you're lucky and they drop a stamina down negative that gem may or may not have the highest possible increase attack % (the highest is 27.2%).

Unless the RNG gods really love you, it's going to take you ~20 hours of beating the same boss over and over to get three gems with desirable negative effects.

I think 20 hours is a bit of an over-exaggeration. Maybe 5-6 hours if youre really hell bent on getting all 27.2 with stamina down. But for someone content with 26.3s or Kin/beast down curses. Now getting to the point of being able to even farm then is around 5-6 more hours of chalice dungeons. And thats if you know how to speedrun them.

myco666

Will do, not sure how viable the bow only is in PvP, but I'll give you guys an update once I get there.

Bowblade with concentration on BT is basically just a better gun build. Very viable in PVP and if you have decent Skill you can do decent damage with that and then finish enemy off with arrows.

I think 20 hours is a bit of an over-exaggeration. Maybe 5-6 hours if youre really hell bent on getting all 27.2 with stamina down. But for someone content with 26.3s or Kin/beast down curses. Now getting to the point of being able to even farm then is around 5-6 more hours of chalice dungeons. And thats if you know how to speedrun them.

To be honest there is very little farming required for good gems. I have bunch of +20% - +26% gems with decent curses and I have only done one Root Chalice. Having all gems to be +27% doesn't seem to be worth the investment since we are talking about >100 damage difference per hit at most.

Melchiah

Best way to tackle this DLC IMO is to go through the game normal and when you get to the point of no return in the end game (check online to see what that is, it's after you beat the Wet Nurse) you then start the DLC. Then you beat the actual final boss of the game.

DLC is honestly end game status.

If you go past Mergo's Wet Nurse you'll miss some DLC dialogue in the dream though, but nothing major.

Alo0oy

Banned

It's all RNG-based, it can even take exactly 3 tries if you're the luckiest person on Earth, or it can take 100 hours if you're extremely unlucky.

On my last character (the Lady Maria cosplay), it took me about 20 hours, but I was watching YouTube/Twitch the entire time and I took a few breaks here and there, I can't imagine sitting there focusing on Merciless Watchers for anything more than half an hour, so it might take less time if you're really concentrating.

Not that they took that long of a time anyway, I used 2 Clawmark runes, so they were going down with two Viscerals, and the gun guy dies with two full stamina combos, they can be beaten in 1-2 minutes at most, usually less.

Bowblade with concentration on BT is basically just a better gun build. Very viable in PVP and if you have decent Skill you can do decent damage with that and then finish enemy off with arrows.

It's much higher than that, I used it on one of my skill builds with minimum Bloodtinge and it was doing very good damage with base level gems, at +10 it has S Bloodtinge scaling, so I imagine it can get very powerful.

To be honest there is very little farming required for good gems. I have bunch of +20% - +26% gems with decent curses and I have only done one Root Chalice. Having all gems to be +27% doesn't seem to be worth the investment since we are talking about >100 damage difference per hit at most.

The difference between 20% and 27.2% is HUGE, it may not look that way because the difference in raw percentage numbers is small (20 to 27 does look small on the surface), but blood gems stack multiplicatively, there's a reason people go through the trouble of getting the Lost Chikage because of one circular slot giving you the possibility of increasing blood damage % to 31.5, and that's just ONE slot.

I can show you in pictures form how much of a difference it is, but I'm not at home right now.

20 tries later and learning to always go left and dodge in, finally beat Ludwig. :p Bought the DLC today and am gonna go through it on NG++ and Level 128

myco666

It's much higher than that, I used it on one of my skill builds with minimum Bloodtinge and it was doing very good damage with base level gems, at +10 it has S Bloodtinge scaling, so I imagine it can get very powerful.

At 50 BT I can get 300-400 out of non charged shots and 800-900 with charged shots. Destroys everything in PvE easily and in PvP kills everyone pretty fast or atleast make them spend lot of vials.

The difference between 20% and 27.2% is HUGE, it may not look that way because the difference in raw percentage numbers is small (20 to 27 does look small on the surface), but blood gems stack multiplicatively, there's a reason people go through the trouble of getting the Lost Chikage because of one circular slot giving you the possibility of increasing blood damage % to 31.5, and that's just ONE slot.

I can show you in pictures form how much of a difference it is, but I'm not at home right now.

For example with +10 Kirkhammer has around 640 damage with +20% gems based on what status screen tells and 720 damage with +27% gems. So if I have +24% gems that you get pretty easily just by going through all regular Chalices I don't see any need for farming for hours to get +9% more damage.

edit.
Actually how do those gems stack? Makes a small difference if you add the percents together and then multiply it to base damage or if you multiply all the percents separately with base damage.

Alo0oy

Banned
For example with +10 Kirkhammer has around 640 damage with +20% gems based on what status screen tells and 720 damage with +27% gems. So if I have +24% gems that you get pretty easily just by going through all regular Chalices I don't see any need for farming for hours to get +9% more damage.

640 is what I get from the Rakuya with 27.2% gems, so my Rakuya can hit as hard as your Kirkhammer, so in PvP you have no chance against a well gemed Rakuya or BoM unless you use 27.2% gems yourself as the Rakuya hits significantly faster while dealing the same damage.

edit.
Actually how do those gems stack? Makes a small difference if you add the percents together and then multiply it to base damage or if you multiply all the percents separately with base damage.

They stack multiplicatively, which is why the difference gets bigger the more gems you use.

Essentially, the same way health and stamina runes stack.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so since yestterday I have this strange bug: I can go online when I start the game, but as soon as I load my save, I get the prompt "was disconnected, restarting game". What's up with that?
I quit the game normally through settings -> exit game, then close the game, then power of the PS4 (not standby mode) every time...

myco666

640 is what I get from the Rakuya with 27.2% gems, so my Rakuya can hit as hard as your Kirkhammer, so in PvP you have no chance against a well gemed Rakuya or BoM unless you use 27.2% gems yourself as the Rakuya hits significantly faster while dealing the same damage.

They stack multiplicatively, which is why the difference gets bigger the more gems you use.

Ahh well then. But still with my gems that are 24% - 26% get me 780 damage where as with all 27% gems it would be 820 so not that big of a difference and you get those gems without having to farm at all. And as for PvP it doesn't matter how much more faster weapon you have as long as I can get one hit in and then just punish any mistake with cannon. That has killed every invader and host I've tried it on.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ahh well then. But still with my gems that are 24% - 26% get me 780 damage where as with all 27% gems it would be 820 so not that big of a difference and you get those gems without having to farm at all. And as for PvP it doesn't matter how much more faster weapon you have as long as I can get one hit in and then just punish any mistake with cannon. That has killed every invader and host I've tried it on.

780 to 820 is a very decent increase especially if you add the charge attack or other special attack multipliers. The Kirkhammer's charged attack has a x3 charged attack multiplier.

myco666

780 to 820 is a very decent increase especially if you add the charge attack or other special attack multipliers. The Kirkhammer's charged attack has a x3 charged attack multiplier.

I don't think it is big enough change for me to start farming for hours.

Top Bottom