• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh, is he going to spin to wi—dear god, man!!

It's like the Axe's charged attack, but without the long wind up, and can be repeated 2-3 times very very quickly, the less poise damage is actually an advantage since it does enough poise damage to stunlock enemies but not enough to send them flying (thus ending your combo).

Bedlam

Closure.

After taking a break and then doing some chalice dungeons, I finally beat the last boss and the optional boss back-to-back today. Took me about a dozen attempts for both and it was kind of unexpected how quickly it happened. Man does it feel good to finally have beaten this game. Never before in my "Souls career" did a boss give so much trouble as the last one in the Old Hunters.

Now I'm going to take a break until DS3 arrives I think.

Timeaisis

How long is this DLC? Trying to figure out when to play it.

Also, I've beat the original. Is it advisable to do NG+ and go into the DLC or start a completely new game?

Alo0oy

Banned
How long is this DLC? Trying to figure out when to play it.

Also, I've beat the original. Is it advisable to do NG+ and go into the DLC or start a completely new game?

depends on how "gud" you are, it's recommended for the average player to be at level 65 in NG, but if you're above average you can do it in NG+ at level 100. As for the length, it's slightly longer than AotA.

The best thing about it though is that it almost doubles the amount of weapons the game has, I think right now it legitimately gives you more (viable) weapons than any previous Souls game, still lacking in magic though (although greatly improved in the DLC).

Wow, that's hilarious... I got to the Upper Cathedral Ward in my NG+ tonight and found a whole new area I missed last time. I knew that I missed Ebrietas, but apparently I also missed the Celestial Emissary? Whirligig+10 destroys all bosses from the main game. Used it on Rom as well.

rtcn63

Made it to
Lady Maria/Virgil

Her delayed/charge attack in her blood form always gets me. I've gotten her down to her 1/4th health, but then I choke. I need to time my dodges or see if I can stop the attack with the rifle or something. I'm out of vials and I'm not looking forward to farming.

Made it to
Lady Maria

Her delayed/charge attack in her blood form always gets me. I've gotten her down to her 1/4th health, but I always choke. I need to time my dodges or see if I can stop the attack with the rifle or something. I'm out of vials and I'm not looking forward to farming.

The biggest thing to remember with
her is to dodge past her. Not to the side or back. If you dodge past her, then you end up behind her and can counter when her attacks leave her open. But yes, perfecting your dodging is pretty much the entirety of this fight.

rtcn63

The biggest thing to remember with
her is to dodge past her. Not to the side or back. If you dodge past her, then you end up behind her and can counter when her attacks leave her open. But yes, perfecting your dodging is pretty much the entirety of this fight.

Yeah, after a half-dozen attempts or so I learned to dodge into her (most times). This is like the Artorias fight except she cuts through me like flypaper.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yep, it is a good poke. The R2 charge though is super OP. It one shots enemies in high NG+ levels and has move priority over a ton of attacks. Even on trades, you get regain and the kill.

Ehhhhhhhh.

It doesn't do an instant knockdown though, like Amydalan Arm's or Kirkhammer R2 charge. It takes a bit of time before the enemy is downed and during that time the enemy, especially the big one, can easily interrupt you. It's not really reliable if your aim is to cause knockdown.

Other than that and the fact that it's a tiiiny bit slow and the mace form has what is quite probably the lowest damage modifier in the game, the Whirligig is indeed a superb weapon to the point where it is almost unfair to the other weapons.... and it even has a serrated bonus too, for crying out loud, geezz.

Just one shot the queen. My first plat. Sorry if I've been annoying with my posts. Just gets me so amped and I have to tell someone right away.

I hate the shit out of that Loran Darkbeast. He's a pain in the ass to hit, ton of HP as well. Fire gem cane just doesn't have the punch. It's like I have to use physical gems and buff with fire paper or something.

gunbo13

Ehhhhhhhh.

It doesn't do an instant knockdown though, like Amydalan Arm's or Kirkhammer R2 charge. It takes a bit of time before the enemy is downed and during that time the enemy, especially the big one, can easily interrupt you. It's not really reliable if your aim is to cause knockdown.

Other than that and the fact that it's a tiiiny bit slow and the mace form has what is quite probably the lowest damage modifier in the game, the Whirligig is indeed a superb weapon to the point where it is almost unfair to the other weapons.... and it even has a serrated bonus too, for crying out loud, geezz.
The mace form is useless. Might as well change weapons. I only used it on Kos because I was doing a Whirligig run. Would vastly prefer quick 1H BoM or almost anything else. All 1Hs in BB are pretty much useless except for viscerals tbh.

You don't need crumple knockdown with the Whirligig when you have this.

NG+5
unOzxov.gif

gunbo13

Guys, one shot means to kill or be killed by a single attack. It has been around for a long time with action games. BB is not WoW.

neoemonk

In Souls games one shot typically means "beat on the first try".

And no matter how hard you think a boss is, there's always someone on the Internet that has one shot it.

gunbo13

In Souls games one shot typically means "beat on the first try".
Yes, the unfortunate truth. A bunch of MMO/RPG fans decided to apply their stolen / poor terminology to another series they like.

No real action fans say one shot means anything except one hit, one kill.

Dahbomb

Guys, one shot means to kill or be killed by a single attack. It has been around for a long time with action games. BB is not WoW.
I'm glad I am not the only one who gets annoyed by this.

When I was first playing the Souls games I would venture on to forums and see that players had one shotted bosses. I was like "wtf am I doing something wrong with my builds? I do nowhere near that much damage!"

Thing is that in other RPGs it is still used properly. In Diablo when people say one shot it actually means one hit kill because both the player and the enemy can get one shotted.

neoemonk

No true scotsman, eh?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless it really bothers you for some reason.

I liked your video though. I need to get Blades of Mercy on my current run.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes, the unfortunate truth. A bunch of MMO/RPG fans decided to apply their stolen / poor terminology to another series they like.

No real action fans say one shot means anything except one hit, one kill.

I'm glad I am not the only one who gets annoyed by this.

When I was first playing the Souls games I would venture on to forums and see that players had one shotted bosses. I was like "wtf am I doing something wrong with my builds? I do nowhere near that much damage!"

Thing is that in other RPGs it is still used properly. In Diablo when people say one shot it actually means one hit kill because both the player and the enemy can get one shotted.

Geez people, lighten up a bit, hahaha. It's not that much of a big deal and pretty much anyone and their mothers understand anyway what people meant anyways when using that term in Bloodborne and related games.

gunbo13

That's pretty funny. I think the influence is more from the MMO crowd tbh. For some reason with Souls, nobody thought it was an issue to have a term stand for something in a game where the historical [proper] definition also has use. BB has real one shots so if you beat a boss on the 1st try, "1st try" works wonders. :p
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless it really bothers you for some reason.
Geez people, lighten up a bit
I usually just drop my two cents once in these huge BB threads then drop it. If just one person converts, it is worth the time. :p

How the hell can I beat
Orphan of Kos
and yet can't get Watchdog of the Old Lords in the defiled chalice dungeon to less than a quarter of his health?

Is there anyone that can help me beat Laurence? He's the last boss I need to beat to finish the game, and I'm so tired of it. I just need him to be dead. If necessary I can put a password on. Otherwise I'm waiting outside the fog gate ringing my bell.... Please!

Boom Hammer is so dope. Been upgrading it lately because I'm trying to use weapons other than just the Hunter Axe, which I love. That fully charged R2 fiery explosion feels so good.

Anyone else rockin that Boom Hammer? Any tips for using it?

DedValve

Banned
What are some good arcane builds, spreads and weapons? I've heard of Logarious's wheel but I'm curious about any others.

Hows the holy moon blade? Is Arcane the type of thing that really shows itself once I equip elemental gems on my weapons as I've heard it stops using physical damage and scales off your arcane strength.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Boom Hammer is so dope. Been upgrading it lately because I'm trying to use weapons other than just the Hunter Axe, which I love. That fully charged R2 fiery explosion feels so good.

Anyone else rockin that Boom Hammer? Any tips for using it?

Yep, it's awesome. With equal gems at everything 50, Boom Hammer gives me 860-ish damage compared to 810-ish Whirligig Saw, although that is considering only when the Hammer is ignited. Always bring back-up though, as its durability is very low (only a 100...)

Charge, charge, charged attacks all day. It gives you super armor like you wouldn't believe, and the knockdown power is immense. And it's very fast too for a Strength weapon charge. And you can also basically string together your every attack to contain fire in it by using the transformation button mid-combo... niiiice.

gogosox82

I hate the shit out of that Loran Darkbeast. He's a pain in the ass to hit, ton of HP as well. Fire gem cane just doesn't have the punch. It's like I have to use physical gems and buff with fire paper or something.

Yeah not a fan of Loran Darkbeast either. There are a few bosses in this game that are honestly too big for this game. If they were going to give him that much hp and make him unstaggerable (I was only able to stagger him once), then they need to make him slower so we can use the lock on to dodge his attacks instead of being forced to play unlocked.

Well, I don't if it was gaffers but some kind soul helped me get Laurence 85% of the way there. Sorry you bought it, but thanks for the assist. Dead, and I'm done. Great ride, but I missed dark souls. Can't wait for 3.

Novocaine

Kos Parasite any good for PVE? It feels so unique, it's a shame it comes so late game.

Playing around with it with 50 arcane and 2 +15% arcane gems and 1 +15% damage gem and the damage was really underwhelming compared to LHB and HMGS. Might be better with stronger stuff, IDK. It has a cool move set though.

One shot just sounds better. Sorry man. I'm kind of sad to be so done with the game. Chalice dungeons sucked but man the main game was a great ride from start to finish. Perfect trophy list too. No bs.

Alo0oy

Banned
Matchmaking still sucks, I rang the bell (with password) and sat there for 15 minutes waiting to get matched, and it didn't work.

squidyj

One shot just sounds better. Sorry man. I'm kind of sad to be so done with the game. Chalice dungeons sucked but man the main game was a great ride from start to finish. Perfect trophy list too. No bs.

I actually quite like the final form of Chalice Dungeons, Depth 5 F R C dungeons can actually be quite fun. it's getting there that's a massive fucking drain.

laxu

Kos Parasite any good for PVE? It feels so unique, it's a shame it comes so late game.

It's hard to make it do decent damage as the gems needed for that are really rare. I feel I've got pretty good gems for it and it still isn't very good. Too slow, not very comboable. I'm sure someone will figure a way to use it well but it won't be me.

Astral

Finally heat fucking Ludwig at level 40 with the help of Valtr and Youngest Madaras Twin. For some reason Ludwig's head talked to me and handed me the sword. With my other characters he talked a bit then neighed like a madman am do so I just killed him for the sword. What's the deal with that? I skipped the dialogue thinking he'd just neigh.

myco666

Finally heat fucking Ludwig at level 40 with the help of Valtr and Youngest Madaras Twin. For some reason Ludwig's head talked to me and handed me the sword. With my other characters he talked a bit then neighed like a madman am do so I just killed him for the sword. What's the deal with that? I skipped the dialogue thinking he'd just neigh.

You had Church attire on you. That makes him ask the question since he thinks you are a Church hunter.

Top Bottom