• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

taybul

Started a new NG with the boom hammer and have been loving it so far. Love seeing enemies and bosses alike flying everywhere with the charge and jump attacks. Being able to parry only makes it sweeter. Fortunately only 2 bosses who have strong def to fire come to mind.

Also, unrelated note: for the longest time ever since Demon's Souls up to this game I thought that enemies scaled in difficulty to your level. Where could I have possibly gotten that notion? It's been bugging me.

Got my platinum, and now the psn is down so it won't sync. If this shit didn't save, I am throwing my PS4 out the damned window.

I had to re-do all of the defiled chalice yesterday because I basically rage exited the game during the death sequence and it got rid of my Defiled Chalice. It was gone from the grave marker. Luckily I went on a miraculous tear through it and got the plat yesterday.

I had to re-do all of the defiled chalice yesterday because I basically rage exited the game during the death sequence and it got rid of my Defiled Chalice. It was gone from the grave marker. Luckily I went on a miraculous tear through it and got the plat yesterday.
You're lucky you didn't have to farm the materials for it.

Jisgsaw

Nope if you are on NG+ and killed CB on NG. Just buy Hunter Chief Emblem.

Oh right, forgot about that, thanks, saves me the trouble (BSB is my most hated boss of the game).

Is there a recommended level for the DLC (in NG+)? I remember being somewhat "underleveled" at the end of my NG, that made the last bosses har... well... harder?

laxu

Went into the DLC with my new level 50 character on NG. Oh boy, didn't expect it to be this hard. Barely able to take down the hunters with my +6 Cleaver so I did a suicide run to the first shortcut. Will try to get to the one before Ludwig and collect items along the way but I think I have to level up a lot to actually play it.

Melchiah

Got my platinum, and now the psn is down so it won't sync. If this shit didn't save, I am throwing my PS4 out the damned window.

Just beat
Laurence and Maria
, and hope the trophies appear when the PSN is up again. It's odd they won't show offline at all, like on the PS3. What adds to my worry is that the system locked just when I beat the former boss and saved the video clip. I had to shut if off manually, and after starting the game again, it notified about loading trophy information, and saved another trophy image to the gallery. When I returned to the dream from the
Fishing Hamlet
lamp, the game turned off with an error notification. =/

The first boss fight was long and hard, and I managed to beat it with only a sliver of health left, and all blood vials spent. The latter was short and easy when I learned when to parry, especially during the second phase. I'll upload and post some clips when the PSN is up.

rtcn63

I +10'd the Moonlight Greatsword and regret it. Without a huge amount points in Arcane, my Ludwig just does a lot more damage. (50/50 Str/Skill)

I've only got one more blood rock left. No idea what to use it on.

... There is a room in the great isz chalice that is literally the worst enemy placements ever. Two celestial fuckers shooting the second you enter, three brain suckers, two of which are guarding the stairs to reach the celestials and two of the big annoyingly aggressive werewolves. Yeah that's fun.

Ironically I just cleared that room last night no problems, but I was lucky enough to spot the Brainsuckers before any aggro'd... Felt I dodged a real bullet there..

Finally beat Kos. Shit, that was pretty intense. His HP kept getting lower and my heart started pounding harder... Good times. That only leaves Laurence. For some reason, I can't activate the fight. Do I need some key item or something?

Finally beat Kos. Shit, that was pretty intense. His HP kept getting lower and my heart started pounding harder... Good times. That only leaves Laurence. For some reason, I can't activate the fight. Do I need some key item or something?

You need his skull, located after the elevator which takes you to the research hall, use the Ludwig lamp to warp and go to the elevator, there will be an Altar with the skull and a hidden room below the altar

Melchiah

Yes.

I haven't yet meet the last boss, but L sure was challenging.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Geez people, lighten up a bit, hahaha. It's not that much of a big deal and pretty much anyone and their mothers understand anyway what people meant anyways when using that term in Bloodborne and related games.
Clearly not, since you always have people that are confused. No it's not "important" but it's still dumb, inaccurate terminology and shouldn't be used.

There have been times where I actually one-shot (aka OHKO'd) bosses in Souls games before, though. A properly spec'ed mage casting Firestorm can OHKO a bunch of bosses. Maneaters, Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus, and Phalanx in NG+.

Clearly not, since you always have people that are confused. No it's not "important" but it's still dumb, inaccurate terminology and shouldn't be used.

There have been times where I actually one-shot (aka OHKO'd) bosses in Souls games before, though. A properly spec'ed mage casting Firestorm can OHKO a bunch of bosses. Maneaters, Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus, and Phalanx in NG+.
I wonder what the stats would have to be for that? I have the spell too.

bobawesome

Running through the game with a fifth character and I'm almost to the point where I can access the expansion again.

Question: Does the bun hairstyle clip through the Maria clothing set? I noticed this has been an issue with some of the other hunter sets.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wonder what the stats would have to be for that? I have the spell too.

I forgot the stat (probably at least 30 magic, perhaps higher), but with the ugly tornado hat, insanity catalyst, ring of magical sharpness and kris blade, it's possible. Or you could go hypermode (<30% HP) and add the clever rat's ring and replace the kris blade with the moron blade for even more damage but IIRC hyper mode isn't even necessary.

I forgot the stat (probably at least 30 magic, perhaps higher), but with the ugly tornado hat, insanity catalyst, ring of magical sharpness and kris blade, it's possible. Or you could go hypermode (<30% HP) and add the clever rat's ring and replace the kris blade with the moron blade for even more damage but IIRC hyper mode isn't even necessary.
I think I at least have some of that stuff.

Astral

That one slow move Lady Maria has that gives her super armor is the fucking bane of me. It almost always one shots me at my level (50) and she sometimes uses it out of nowhere leaving me no time to parry or dodge it.

Just beat it. My GotY easily. I think I did really well for my first time and I definitely think the game is easier than Dark Souls.

I beat
-Martyr Logarius
-One Reborn
-Witch of Hemwick
-Celestial Emissary
-Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
-Moon Presence
all on my first try, while in Dark Souls i think only beat two bosses on my first try.

I'll probably wait a bit to tackle the DLC.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah, most of the information about A Call Beyond was pretty off. Most things written talked about how the tracking is so good on large bosses, and is better the farther away you are. I think I only ended up landing four of the bolts at most on Ludwig at any given time. I think the most damage I did was 1280 or so with it. Yes, the Executioner's Gloves are better if all three orbs hit. Otherwise it has one of the worst damage per bullet ratios. Also, I wasn't using the Augur for damage, but for defense/lockdown. The fact that it does 390+ damage isn't too shabby either for one bullet, but the side effect of getting random parries makes it my "go to" tool.

If you want to be a primarily "spellcaster", you want your Arcane level at 70+, offensive spells scale differently and gain most of their damage scaling from level 50-80, so if you want to stay at level ~110 for PvP, you might not want to waste your levels on other stats.

I personally haven't tried a build like that, but from what I've heard, you can play exclusively as a spellcaster at Arcane level 70+, and I believe some spells don't stop scaling until level 99.

Ratrat

Charge attack + Visceral attack. Does wonders on the first phase. Second phase is little bit trickier but you can use the same tactic. Also fight in water so that you won't miss viscerals that easy and have more distance on the lightning attack. You can also parry his attacks.

That is the last story boss of the DLC.
Thanks. After the initial surprise, he doesnt seem too hard.

Also anyone know of a good chalice dungeon guide? Im not sure what the deal is with these, how many there are and where to find them. I just want to get the platinum...

Melchiah

Just uploaded some DLC boss fights to YouTube...

Ludwig co-op - https://youtu.be/7BwOPb4Ng6U
Not as hard as I thought it would be. Beat it on the third try, and even the NPC companion survived. Will try it solo on my 211 level NG+ character at some point.

Living Failures - https://youtu.be/KHKbkKdDG4I
Beast Blood Pellet & Bolt Paper
worked well.

Laurence co-op - https://youtu.be/EnYorp-qgcw
The hardest and longest fight of the four. Took me all of my Blood Vials, and barely beat it with an inch of life left. Felt good after about 7 tries.

Maria - https://youtu.be/bwamRl8mjlU
At first the second phase whipped my ass bloody, but learning the parry timing, and having
two Clawmark runes
equipped, made the fight easy and short.

Next the last one. Already dreading it after reading it's supposedly harder than Laurence.

EDIT: Noticed from the videos, that I have trouble with judging distance when using the Cane's whip form. So many missed strikes. I think I had the same problem when fighting the Defiled Watchdog.

myco666

Oh right, forgot about that, thanks, saves me the trouble (BSB is my most hated boss of the game).

Is there a recommended level for the DLC (in NG+)? I remember being somewhat "underleveled" at the end of my NG, that made the last bosses har... well... harder?

I would say lvl100 is decent for NG+. Just up Vitality to 50 if you are having too much problems.

Yeah I had watched bunch of Dark Souls one shot videos like O&S and once people were saying they had one shotted bosses in BB I was pretty confused as to how that would be even possible.

Wait, can I not use glyphs without having PS+? I have crap internet service and can't really make use of PS+...

I guess the next best thing is to keep making low level dungeons and doing the bosses for the insight shop rocks, but then what about blood gems?

Fuck Deflied Amygdala. Fuck the "defiled" condition altogether.

She's pretty easy.

Get behind her and stick to her tail. Use fast attacks on it. The hardest part of this stategy is evading her attack where she swipes her arms backwards. Learn the telegraph and step back when she does it. In the later phase, she rips those back arms off herself and it actually gets easier.

When she jumps, don't move at all. She will land on you, but not hit you.

As soon as she jumps, make your character turn to stand 180 degrees opposite of where you were standing to face her tail.

When she lands you will be pointing in line with her head. Do a couple quick swipes, or one strong 2 handed charge strike (you can start charging before she lands), and you will chip her down.

After you hit her head, spring back through her legs and get to the tail again.

I ended up using the Kirkhammer because I could always get a strike in on the head or arms. Enough hits to the head for a visceral brought it down really low, enough to finish from a distance.

The jumping thing was a problem, sometimes I'd hold still and was fine, other times it'd land right on my head. It might be a trait of that arena or something.

Astral

I beat Ludwig at level 40. I also beat Maria after so many tries, pretty much mastering her. But it's the fucking giant sharks that make me give up. I wanted to get the Rakuyo before I even reached Rom but fuck it I'll have to come back for it later. Those sharks are too infuriating.

Melchiah

I beat Ludwig at level 40. I also beat Maria after so many tries, pretty much mastering her. But it's the fucking giant sharks that make me give up. I wanted to get the Rakuyo before I even reached Rom but fuck it I'll have to come back for it later. Those sharks are too infuriating.

Huh, beating him at level 40 is a good accomplishment. I was at about 90 myself then. I encountered one of the giant sharks last night, and I'm not looking forward to facing two of them, that I know will be waiting ahead.

I encountered one of the giant sharks last night, and I'm not looking forward to facing two of them, that I know will be waiting ahead.

I hated that part. It was a little tricky, but I was able to kill the one that had the sword (with help from the other guy lolololololol) and got the hell out of there.

Astral

Huh, beating him at level 40 is a good accomplishment. I was at about 90 myself then. I encountered one of the giant sharks last night, and I'm not looking forward to facing two of them, that I know will be waiting ahead.

To be fair I had help from The League but even then, the tiniest mistake meant the end. It took several tries.

Is it recommended to go there through
the well
, or the other route?

I think the other route just takes a little too much time, and you can still get super screwed if their attacks happen to clip through the level geometry too much. Just being patient with the encounter helps a lot, as does turning them against oneanother (but that can be tough).

I happened to get the anchor carrier down to almost a quarter of his health as he tried to wake up his buddy, and kept stunning him before the other guy could drop down. But man he's got an absurd health pool for a rando enemy that isn't a hunter.

Timeaisis

Alright, GAF. I'm trying to decide whether I should start over completely or NG+ the DLC.

I'm at blood level 87, very, very beginning of NG+. I'm a skill build and I use the cane. I know I should be at around ~115 for the DLC on NG+ and ~70 (IIRC) for regular game.

So...is it worthwhile just starting over? I'm not trying to speed through the beginning or anything, but I would like to get to the DLC more briskly than if it were my first playthrough. Would it take me a while to get to 115 (and beat all those bosses) on NG+? And would the DLC be extremely hard on NG+? I hear the DLC is quite difficult. I'd rate my skill level average to good.

rtcn63

Yo
Orphan of Kos
is bullshit.

Took my first shot at him last night, died almost instantly. This morning, 2nd and 3rd I got him down to like 1/8th of his health. It's his flying form, the lock-on can't keep up. Combined with his projectile attack (that can insta-kill me at point blank), this ain't right son. I'll get him eventually, but still. At least I was able to pick up the Rakuyo with minimal fuss.

Ludwig's in two-handed form can stagger him in two hits, but once he starts flying...

Also the
fishing hamlet
is a great place to farm for blood vials.

Melchiah

To be fair I had help from The League but even then, the tiniest mistake meant the end. It took several tries.

So did I, and it wasn't that hard at my level. Can't imagine how hard it must have been at over half lower level. Laurence was the opposite though, even with the help of League hunter.

I think the other route just takes a little too much time, and you can still get super screwed if their attacks happen to clip through the level geometry too much. Just being patient with the encounter helps a lot, as does turning them against oneanother (but that can be tough).

I happened to get the anchor carrier down to almost a quarter of his health as he tried to wake up his buddy, and kept stunning him before the other guy could drop down. But man he's got an absurd health pool for a rando enemy that isn't a hunter.

Does the longer route lead to the ledge,
where you can cheese them from relatively safe distance
? I haven't actually used the Shaman Bone Blade even once, so I'll have correct that.

Does the longer route lead to the ledge,
where you can cheese them from relatively safe distance
? I haven't actually used the Shaman Bone Blade even once, so I'll have correct that.

Yeah, it puts your feet at about their head level. So you use jump attacks or a ground-hitting attack to damage them. But their attacks clip up too, so while you're out of the way of the low sweeping attacks, you should still watch yourself.

Shaman Bone Blade is hilarious to use.

Jisgsaw

I would say lvl100 is decent for NG+. Just up Vitality to 50 if you are having too much problems.

Hum, sitting at 32 Vit after some levelingI think I'll try it the hard way, leveling isn't that much fun...

Though I am getting wrecked by Ludwig.

muteant

Yo
Orphan of Kos
is bullshit.

Took my first shot at him last night, died almost instantly. This morning, 2nd and 3rd I got him down to like 1/8th of his health. It's his flying form, the lock-on can't keep up. Combined with his projectile attack (that can insta-kill me at point blank), this ain't right son. I'll get him eventually, but still. At least I was able to pick up the Rakuyo with minimal fuss.

Ludwig's in two-handed form can stagger him in two hits, but once he starts flying...

I find his second form surprisingly easy to deal with if you intentionally forgo your ordinary sense of strategy and just start dodging (without straying far from him) and whacking recklessly. Kinda convinced that the composed and measured approach to him in that form is a means of making your life much more difficult.

valkyre

Guys did 1.09 improved framerate? I am playing the DLC now and while there are still stutters and all it certainly feels smother fps wise. Is it just me?

Yo
Orphan of Kos
is bullshit.

Also the
fishing hamlet
is a great place to farm for blood vials.

I find Central Yharnam the best place to farm them since I can just stomp my way through there and one hit everything. At the end though, my level was so high that I could have tons of extra souls before a boss room but not even close to be able to level so I would just buy Blood Vials. I didn't want to risk dying to the boss and losing those souls so I would try to use as much of my echoes as possible.

rtcn63

I find Central Yharnam the best place to farm them since I can just stomp my way through there and one hit everything. At the end though, my level was so high that I could have tons of extra souls before a boss room but not even close to be able to level so I would just buy Blood Vials. I didn't want to risk dying to the boss and losing those souls so I would try to use as much of my echoes as possible.

My strength/dex are 50/50, and I can two-shot most of the enemies in the fishing hamlet. If you get the shortcut, you can climb up the ladder and then drop onto a giant sharfkin, taking out half his health. Then it's just finishing him off, the giants net you 4+ vials and the regular enemies 2. And that's without the runes that give you extra items. All the enemies are bunched close together too.

Also level one of Ailing Loran is great for farming souls. There's a room right after the lamp where you can net 30k+ souls with the right spec. If you only the game let your reset enemies by resting...

Top Bottom