• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

rtcn63

Those shark beasts with the anchors are really strong, holy shit.

Yeah, although they're more like mini-bosses since they only appear in that one area. I was able to beat them by just wailing on the first one indiscriminately, then chasing him for the kill before the second engages me.

Ok, so since yestterday I have this strange bug: I can go online when I start the game, but as soon as I load my save, I get the prompt "was disconnected, restarting game". What's up with that?
I quit the game normally through settings -> exit game, then close the game, then power of the PS4 (not standby mode) every time...
I was having this happen to me too.

Jingo

In this game i always had very difficult decifring who are the beasts, i have a powerfull gem but her attack vs beasts is down to 6,5 %, can anyone tell me ehat enemies are beasts? I know ludwig, werewolfs , dogs are beasts, but what about the rest? Sorry for the stupid question, but theres a way to identify which ones are beasts?

20 tries later and learning to always go left and dodge in, finally beat Ludwig. :p Bought the DLC today and am gonna go through it on NG++ and Level 128

Dodging in was one of those things I always think of last. My reaction is always back, back, back, and out but for tons of bosses in is a lot better.

RiggyRob

In this game i always had very difficult decifring who are the beasts, i have a powerfull gem but her attack vs beasts is down to 6,5 %, can anyone tell me ehat enemies are beasts? I know ludwig, werewolfs , dogs are beasts, but what about the rest? Sorry for the stupid question, but theres a way to identify which ones are beasts?

Generally if it's got fur, it's a beast, and if it's got tentacles/goo, it's kin.

Alo0oy

Banned
What's your farming location resource? I'm thinking about trying to get a few +dmg gems for my HMS.

I'll give you my glyphs when I get home, very easy path to the lever and the Merciless Watchers are the layer one boss, takes <5 minutes to finish one run.

Alo0oy

Banned

Keep in mind that serrated damage, ATK vs beasts up gems, and fire damage only work on full beasts, so half beasts like Yharnamites don't "count" as beasts.

Basically anything that looks like a beast is a beast, Watch Dog is an exception in that he's not weak to fire, but you still get the damage bonus from serrated weapons or beast hunter runes.

The same rule applies to KIN with bolt and Pthumerians with Arcane. REAL Great Ones are not considered KIN though.

ScribbleD

Those shark beasts with the anchors are really strong, holy shit.

They can be parried, though. Just make sure you don't shoot too early. I can't remember if the ones with the anchors have the grab attack either. My favorite thing to do with them is parry their leaping attack. It's awesome.

Astral

So I already have my Rakuyo at +10 thanks to the Blood Rock at the Fishing Hamlet. I'm about to head into the Nightmare of Mensis for a second Blood Rock. I'm trying to decide between maxing either the Bowblade or Bloodletter next. Which one is better in a Skill and Bloodtinge build?

ScribbleD

So I already have my Rakuyo at +10 thanks to the Blood Rock at the Fishing Hamlet. I'm about to head into the Nightmare of Mensis for a second Blood Rock. I'm trying to decide between maxing either the Bowblade or Bloodletter next. Which one is better in a Skill and Bloodtinge build?

Bloodletter has a slight AR advantage at +10 (I think it's like 40 AR higher than SBB). It scales S with bloodtinge and A with strength, but has no skill scaling. SBB+10 is S in both skill and bloodtinge. Plus, SBB is more versatile.

Astral

Bloodletter has a slight AR advantage at +10 (I think it's like 40 AR higher than SBB). It scales S with bloodtinge and A with strength, but has no skill scaling. SBB+10 is S in both skill and bloodtinge. Plus, SBB is more versatile.

Bloodletter scales only with Bloodtinge in its second form though right? That's the only form I planned to use it in. I'll eventually level them both up but I'm wondering which will make the game easier, specifically Chalice Dungeons.

ScribbleD

Bloodletter scales only with Bloodtinge in its second form though right? That's the only form I planned to use it in. I'll eventually level them both up but I'm wondering which will make the game easier, specifically Chalice Dungeons.

The Bowblade supposedly makes one of the more infamous chalice fights trivial.
Defiled Amygdala.

myco666

If you are going for high BT low Skill Bloodletter would probably be better. Especially if you want a melee weapon. Bowblade with high BT trivializes pretty much every single boss fight though.

I myself prefer Bloodletter since using the Bowblades bow form is most boring playstyle aside from using exclusively guns.

laxu

The Bowblade supposedly makes one of the more infamous chalice fights trivial.
Defiled Amygdala.

I can attest to that but you don't need a +10 for that. I did him in with the Bowblade +8 or +9 and I think most shots did somewhere between 540-750 damage (no charge R2 vs full charge R2 in bow mode). You're still going to need blood bullets and to dodge some attacks. Personally I don't find Bowblade that great for anything except boss matches.

Astral

I used a +10 Evelyn the first time I beat Defiled Amygdala. It was pretty damn powerful. I assume the Bowblade will be even more powerful so I think I'll go with that just to make the tedious as fuck Chalice Dungeons easier.

Grisby

Getting back into this and the DLC.

I want to upgrade my +9 Ludwig blade but I need a Blood Rock. Got 61 insight but I don't really want to buy it from the hub area. Any other good ways to go about getting one?

myco666

Damn, I need to go get that blade.

I'm guessing the one in that video is a +10 on the first playthrough, though. Or does it eat through his HP like that on NG+, too?

Yeah +10 on NG. Haven't tried it on NG+ but it probably won't be that much harder if you can keep your distance. Just need to make more blood bullets.

edit.

Getting back into this and the DLC.

I want to upgrade my +9 Ludwig blade but I need a Blood Rock. Got 61 insight but I don't really want to buy it from the hub area. Any other good ways to go about getting one?

I assume you already have used the one you get from main game? DLC has new Blood Rock. Also buying it with insight is probably best use of insight currently. I have around 10 weapons at +10 at the end of NG+ and haven't gotten single Rock from Chalices.

Grisby

I assume you already have used the one you get from main game? DLC has new Blood Rock. Also buying it with insight is probably best use of insight currently. I have around 10 weapons at +10 at the end of NG+ and haven't gotten single Rock from Chalices.
Yep, I beat it. Did I need to use it to get Ludwigs blade up to +9? Because if I needed to, then I guess I did use it. I'll go back and check my storage inventory.

Didn't mess around too much with the chalice stuff, only did two cups. Which ones give a chance to get blood rocks?

I'll probably just by it though.

myco666

Yep, I beat it. Did I need to use it to get Ludwigs blade up to +9? Because if I needed to, then I guess I did use it. I'll go back and check my storage inventory.

Didn't mess around too much with the chalice stuff, only did two cups. Which ones give a chance to get blood rocks?

I'll probably just by it though.

You need Blood Rock to get weapon from +9 to +10 so if you don't have any +10 weapons you haven't used it.

You can get Rocks from depth 5 Chalices only if I remember correctly.

Grisby

You need Blood Rock to get weapon from +9 to +10 so if you don't have any +10 weapons you haven't used it.

Strange, the L blade is the only weapon I've really upgraded. I should have one then. Yeah, I'll have to check. Thanks for the help.

Laurence defeated. First try of the day. Started off as a real shit attempt too, as I leveled the Bowblade up to +5 and almost cried when it only did 110 damage. XD Switched to the trusty Whirligig+10 and let him fucking have it.

Fuck yes.

bobawesome

Running through the game with a fifth character and I'm almost to the point where I can access the expansion again.

Question: Does the bun hairstyle clip through the Maria clothing set? I noticed this has been an issue with some of the other hunter sets.

Well, turns out the answer is yes, of course. Anyway, the set looks absolutely awful with that hairstyle.

Makes the fight a total joke.

On NG it helps with the second form certainly but NG+ and NG++ (which was when I did Old Hunters for the first time) the damage is too low to be that effective. He can back you in a corner and do some real bad work to you if you try to keep ranged.

Had better luck in the first form just humping his leg (you can touch the back of his leg and slowly circle around him attacking and he can't actually hit you) and in his second form running in after his attack to hit him once or twice and then running back out before his next attack.

Bowblade absolutely makes a joke of Amygdala though.

Could you fix it, and if yes, would you remember how?

As I almost play solo only, it isn't too bad, but still...
It was happening a couple of weeks ago and I was going to rebuild the database but never did. So I didn't actually try anything. I haven't played the game for two weeks but last time I played it was fine.

But I would rebuild the database and see if that helps at all.

Dahbomb

The latest patch allows you to purchase Blood Rocks from the Insight shop. It's expensive though.

Had better luck in the first form just humping his leg (you can touch the back of his leg and slowly circle around him attacking and he can't actually hit you) and in his second form running in after his attack to hit him once or twice and then running back out before his next attack..

Funny thing about the second form. It's not too bad if you stay at a distance (and to his left) and bait him into doing his lava vomit attack. Then when it begins, you can run a wide arc around it to your left, and get right inside there. Then he'll move in a tight circle while doing ground slaps, but you'll be too close to him to take any damage. It lets you just fire up some bolt paper and wail away on him for a bit. I daresay the second form was waaaaay easier than the first, because it dramatically cuts down on the variety of his attacks.

rtcn63

2nd attempt on
Laurence. Got him to a sliver of health, two hits at the most. And he pretty much corners me and I can't heal. So yeah you fuck him.

Still way easier than Maria and Kos.

Moonkid

Got up to Maria, Living Failures is a pretty fun fight - neat throwback to the Celestial Emissary. I also feel like I've missed quite a few stuff in the Research Hall, a key or two maybe. Also, how do you interact with all the NPCs or do they not have extra dialogue?

Alo0oy

Banned
I cheesed Simon to get the Bowblade at level 25, he's pretty much impossible to beat without cheese at that low of a level.

It does pretty decent damage at base Bloodtinge, but I think I'm gonna need at least two communion runes if I want to use the bow freely. it's pretty useless against multiple enemies though, but I'm gonna make it work, it's a very fun coop build.

What's your farming location resource? I'm thinking about trying to get a few +dmg gems for my HMS.

pwmf22gu
5pwujscd

The first one will give you radials, and the second one will give you triangular, both will be dropped by the first layer boss, just run past all the enemies, the lever is fairly close to the Lantern.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Really wish I had more free time to come back to this game and play some more. It's crazy, but I could probably just switch between R6: Siege and Bloodborne for most all of 2016 and be content.

myco666

On NG it helps with the second form certainly but NG+ and NG++ (which was when I did Old Hunters for the first time) the damage is too low to be that effective. He can back you in a corner and do some real bad work to you if you try to keep ranged.

Had better luck in the first form just humping his leg (you can touch the back of his leg and slowly circle around him attacking and he can't actually hit you) and in his second form running in after his attack to hit him once or twice and then running back out before his next attack.

Bowblade absolutely makes a joke of Amygdala though.

Need to try it myself but I doubt it is that much tougher and only takes more time. Just need to be more careful about your distance and stamina.

Damn what stats did you level up?

Bloodtinge and Skill basically. Had 50 BT and 20 Skill at that moment. Makes the blade form really useless but bow mode is beast at 50 BT.

The latest patch allows you to purchase Blood Rocks from the Insight shop. It's expensive though.

Yeah been buying bunch of them. The amount of Rocks you can get now with one NG cycle is pretty insane.

bobawesome

100% The Old Hunters trophies get. Collection all of the new weapons would be a pretty simple task if not for the Rakuyo. I beat it the first go round with a NG+ character but could not for the life of me kill those enemies in the well. Made a new character with the express purpose of trying out more of the new weapons and getting that final trophy.

myco666

Are you using the normal Bowblade or the Lost Bowblade myco?

Just the normal version since I haven't done Chalices on that character. I guess Lost version would be better if using the Bow form. Might try it on my current character that has access to it.

Alo0oy

Banned
Just the normal version since I haven't done Chalices on that character. I guess Lost version would be better if using the Bow form. Might try it on my current character that has access to it.

Yeah, for Bloodtinge builds, lost version of every weapon is the best bang for your buck (including the Chikage and Bloodletter), since they have circular shapes giving much higher damage increase than regular physical% gems.

myco666

Yeah, for Bloodtinge builds, lost version of every weapon is the best bang for your buck (including the Chikage and Bloodletter), since they have circular shapes giving much higher damage increase than regular physical% gems.

Guess I should get Lost Bloodletter for my current character. Already have +10 of the Normal version though but then I can actually see the difference easily.

Alo0oy

Banned
Guess I should get Lost Bloodletter for my current character. Already have +10 of the Normal version though but then I can actually see the difference easily.

If you're pure Bloodtinge, don't ever waste a blood rock on normal weapons, they're good for Bloodtinge/skill hybrids, but Lost versions have a circular slot which has significantly higher damage bonus on trick form (which scales with Bloodtinge), but shit damage on normal form, which scales with skill, useless unless you have 35-40 skill, but if your skill is that high you're better off using a secondary skill weapon like the Burial Blade which will outdamage the normal form of Bloodtinge weapons anyway.

laxu

So I've been playing with a new character in NG and I would recommend you play until at least Nightmare of Mensis before getting into the DLC. It's definitely best played late in the main game. I'm now in Mergo's Loft: Middle and I'm now going to start attempting the DLC for real. I got Ludwig down to half health before but now can hopefully take him down - that bastard has huge HP.

The only thing I would do is enter the DLC once as soon as you can and do suicide runs to pick up any items you can before the first boss. The main thing is the Whirligig Saw though as that is very helpful against many bosses in the main game.

Melchiah

2nd attempt on
Laurence. Got him to a sliver of health, two hits at the most. And he pretty much corners me and I can't heal. So yeah you fuck him.

Still way easier than Maria and Kos.

M
aria
is really easy though, when you get the parry timing right.

myco666

If you're pure Bloodtinge, don't ever waste a blood rock on normal weapons, they're good for Bloodtinge/skill hybrids, but Lost versions have a circular slot which has significantly higher damage bonus on trick form (which scales with Bloodtinge), but shit damage on normal form, which scales with skill, useless unless you have 35-40 skill, but if your skill is that high you're better off using a secondary skill weapon like the Burial Blade which will outdamage the normal form of Bloodtinge weapons anyway.

Well not going for pure BT (50/40/50/50/50/8 atm) so yeah. And you get Blood Rocks so much now that I don't mind 'wasting' them.

So I've been playing with a new character in NG and I would recommend you play until at least Nightmare of Mensis before getting into the DLC. It's definitely best played late in the main game. I'm now in Mergo's Loft: Middle and I'm now going to start attempting the DLC for real. I got Ludwig down to half health before but now can hopefully take him down - that bastard has huge HP.

The only thing I would do is enter the DLC once as soon as you can and do suicide runs to pick up any items you can before the first boss. The main thing is the Whirligig Saw though as that is very helpful against many bosses in the main game.

IMO after beating Rom is a good point to enter the DLC. Entering DLC after beating Micolash is little bit too late unless you want to have easier time with the DLC.

Yeah Ludwig has bunch of HP. I think it is over 16k which is 2k more than what G has.

Astral

I can't imagine playing this game without parrying. It makes the game so much easier. Humanoid bosses must take forever without it.

Top Bottom