• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

jb1234

Resuming playing this game after a few months off. I'm near the beginning. Last night, I took out Cleric Breast in three tries (he wasn't so bad) but Father Gascoigne was a real beast.

Melchiah

From the nearest lamp(not the one you unlock after beating him of course) go down the stairs and there a summon point to the left.

If you have the league's Impurity rune, you can summon Valtr closer to Ludwig's lair, where the crows are, and he's more helpful in the fight.

Grisby

Where do I go for this Confederate stuff that I see above other cooperator's names?. Also getting some items called 'Vermin' that I have no idea what to use for. At the
Research Lab
, guess I'll find out down the road?

Ferr986

Where do I go for this Confederate stuff that I see above other cooperator's names?. Also getting some items called 'Vermin' that I have no idea what to use for. At the
Research Lab
, guess I'll find it down the road?

Confederate NPC is by the lamp on the Forbidden Woods , inside the house. Vermin is the item used to level up inside the Confederate covenant.

ChrisD

My tip to you is to learn the gun parry + visceral attack mechanic well. I went thru the game the first time without really using it whatsoever so it was pretty hard. If you're like me and prefer swords etc to guns then just don't invest any levels into Bloodtinge, the parry mechanic works fine even with either of the starting weapons. The Blunderbuss is easier for learning because it usually stops whatever attack the enemy is doing even if you miss the parry window. Now go find that fat executioner guy and practice on him! Or Father Gascoigne as you're really going to need parry in that fight.

I practiced that on the executioner man every time I got through the plaza. :D I noticed it doesn't work on any attacks that involve dashing forward, though? I guess the thought process is that they already have momentum going and can't be stunned or something. Though a charged R2 attack parries that out, so it's all fine.

Though I don't know how much the mechanic will come in handy now because of one word.

HAMMER

It's not a Monster Hunter Hammer, but it's a freaking heavy HAMMER, and I will proceed playing while shouting HAMMER every time I hammer an enemy in with a charged R2 attack.

laxu

I practiced that on the executioner man every time I got through the plaza. :D I noticed it doesn't work on any attacks that involve dashing forward, though? I guess the thought process is that they already have momentum going and can't be stunned or something. Though a charged R2 attack parries that out, so it's all fine.

Though I don't know how much the mechanic will come in handy now because of one word.

HAMMER

It's not a Monster Hunter Hammer, but it's a freaking heavy HAMMER, and I will proceed playing while shouting HAMMER every time I hammer an enemy in with a charged R2 attack.

Not all that many enemies take huge blunt damage though. Best to always have a few different weapons around. Plus the Kirkhammer sword mode doesn't have that good reach. YMMV, was never a fan of the weapon as a whole even though the hammer mode looks fantastic.

Parry doesn't work for some moves or requires so precise timing that it's hard to pull off. Varies from enemy to enemy. You'll eventually learn which enemies are best parried and which should be handled in other ways.

laxu

I finally got my Platinum. Hopefully I get the theme soon. Now that I've gone thru the game about 3 times total with 2 different characters, two runs in NG and one in NG+ with about 150 hours total I might be able to compare a bit.

Both my characters have started as strength builds that have eventually gone about 50/50 strength and skill. On my first run as a Souls newbie I mostly used LHB and Hunter Axe. On my NG+ run I moved to Burial Blade and Pizza Cutter and then to Church Pick and Amygdalan Arm (seriously, it's a lot of fun). In my latest NG run on another character I went with Saw Cleaver, BoM and LHB - Cleaver for most enemies, BoM for hunters and LHB for anything weak to thrust attacks.

In NG+ the difficulty jump is quite drastic. Most bosses are a lot harder and have huge health bars and attacks that nearly kill you whereas in NG they may take out half your health or something like that at most. The good thing is that it's really easy to gain levels quickly as you generally get huge amount of echoes. Farming anything is a lot easier and you can probably breeze thru most of the chalice dungeons. Only seem to get tough at level 4 depth.

Of the DLC bosses
Ludwig
was still the one that gave me most trouble on my new NG character. In NG+ I couldn't beat him without Valtr. In NG
Laurence
isn't that bad actually, I think I took him out on my 3rd try vs maybe 30 tries in NG+. I had more fun with
Maria
in NG+ because I felt that just stunlocking her with any fast weapon didn't work as well.
Living Failures
is still boring as hell as they only have one dangerous attack. I had learned
OoK
attacks so well in NG+ that I took him out on my second try in NG. Those damn sharks are tough as nails no matter what NG and level you are.

If you farm the 22% gems from Winter Lanterns a bit in the DLC and grab and upgrade the Church Pick most bosses become way easy when combined with an elemental buff and beast pellets. I was laughing all the way to the doll after taking out Ebrietas and Mergo's Wet Nurse before they could even get into their second phases. Celestial Emissary couldn't even transform to giant. Church Pick might be overall the most powerful weapon in the game.

Without doing anything except the first two chalice dungeons (to get the
Bone Ash armor
) and without spending insight on anything except armor sets I managed to buy two blood rocks after collecting all insight in main game and DLC. In NG+ you could probably buy two more on top of that as previously collected items are turned into Madman's Knowledge.

Overall the game is really well balanced as it's hard to become overpowered until late game and the DLC is tough enough that it's hard to get the good stuff too quickly. I kinda wish they had put
Whirligig Saw
slightly after
Ludwig
so you couldn't use that too early.

Jingo

Can anyone give me a good tip on how to beat Laurence? I swear to god i tought Kos was difficult, but at least i lerned a pattern but laurence its brutal, in two hits im dead and his attacks cover almost all screen that i think i could only beat him with luck!

Ive tried at least 30 times and only once i ve putted him spitting lava, im using the pizza cutter fully upgraded with gems ( 705 level) but even then im having difficulty, whats the best armor to facing him? I ve used beast blood pellet and bolt paper but its still very short, ng++ here, thank you.

Astral

Loren Darkbeast is such a bullshit boss fight. I feel like I have to pray that he gets knocked down over and over again. He's too fucking fast and fucks up the camera.

EDIT: I finally killed him. Definitely my least favorite boss.

Overall the game is really well balanced as it's hard to become overpowered until late game and the DLC is tough enough that it's hard to get the good stuff too quickly. I kinda wish they had put
Whirligig Saw
slightly after
Ludwig
so you couldn't use that too early.

Yes, but people would complain about the lack of early weapons on the DLC, the other useful one is the arm of amygdala but is impossible for undergeared hunters. The pizza cuteer should be moved to Fishing Hamlet or the Research hall because that weapon is overpowered as hell getting it earlier.

Can anyone give me a good tip on how to beat Laurence? I swear to god i tought Kos was difficult, but at least i lerned a pattern but laurence its brutal, in two hits im dead and his attacks cover almost all screen that i think i could only beat him with luck!

Ive tried at least 30 times and only once i ve putted him spitting lava, im using the pizza cutter fully upgraded with gems ( 705 level) but even then im having difficulty, whats the best armor to facing him? I ve used beast blood pellet and bolt paper but its still very short, ng++ here, thank you.

On his first pahse try to attack him on his sides, try to hitting his back and if you can his arm, when you wound his arm then the first phase is a cakewalk. On second phase, just evade till he gets tired and hit him, then evade and repeat

Pompadour

Try using the Bow Blade. If you call in the Old Hunter when Laurence is in the crawling state you can take pot shots while the other guy distracts him.

Astral

Guys where the hell can I find Yellow Backbone besides One Reborn and Mensis? Apparently you can buy them on NG+ after you've created a depth 5 root dungeon with all offerings. However I need just one more backbone to even make a a depth 5 dungeon with all offerings.

Grisby

Couple things:
-
Lady Maria
is now one of my all time favorite fights in the Souls games. Damn From. Nice bit after the crappy
Living Fatigues
or whatever they were.
-Can I get
her
armor anywhere?
Confederate NPC is by the lamp on the Forbidden Woods , inside the house. Vermin is the item used to level up inside the Confederate covenant.
Thanks, was that added in the patch?

Couple things:
-
Lady Maria
is now one of my all time favorite fights in the Souls games. Damn From. Nice bit after the crappy
Living Fatigues
or whatever they were.
-Can I get
her
armor anywhere?

Thanks, was that added in the patch?

was added in Patch 1.07 I believe

Grisby

Found out where I could buy
Lady M's
armor. Swwwaaagggg.

Also did some co-op against
her
, helping out others. One dude used the
spinny saw thingy and basically kept her
in one corner. Holy shit did that look cheap as hell. Was laughing the entire time.

So
Lady M is what the doll in the dream is based off
of right? Just had some creepy ass dialogue when I got back. Something about being free from shackles.

was added in Patch 1.07 I believe
Cool.

Astral

Found out where I could buy
Lady M's
armor. Swwwaaagggg.

Also did some co-op against
her
, helping out others. One dude used the
spinny saw thingy and basically kept her
in one corner. Holy shit did that look cheap as hell. Was laughing the entire time.

So
Lady M is what the doll in the dream is based off
of right? Just had some creepy ass dialogue when I got back. Something about being free from shackles.

Cool.

That's how I beat her with my Strength character lol.

Teknoman

So finally getting back into things, setting the password just makes it more likely to get GAF hunters?, or does it only allow GAF hunters?

Also is it easy to miss the expansion intro, or is it pretty obvious ala Dark Souls, where it just looks like something you'd run across?

Melchiah

...Those damn sharks are tough as nails no matter what NG and level you are.

If you farm the 22% gems from Winter Lanterns a bit in the DLC and grab and upgrade the Church Pick most bosses become way easy when combined with an elemental buff and beast pellets. I was laughing all the way to the doll after taking out Ebrietas and Mergo's Wet Nurse before they could even get into their second phases. Celestial Emissary couldn't even transform to giant. Church Pick might be overall the most powerful weapon in the game.

Isn't the Church Pick a skill weapon? If so, I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

I hate the sharks, perhaps even more than the butt-naked Watcher with a club in the chalices.

ChrisD

I just realized this is actually the OT for the DLC :lol
I thought it was just part of the OT's title or something. That said, sorry for my posts earlier. I'll be sure to move new (non-DLC-relevant) ones over to the main thread.

This has been asked before by others, but I forget the answer: Is the DLC better to have in a first (and for me -- if I'm being honest -- only) run through, or should it only be bought after playing the original content? I won't be playing this multiple times, so if it's the former I suppose I should look into it.

Melchiah

This has been asked before by others, but I forget the answer: Is the DLC better to have in a first (and for me -- if I'm being honest -- only) run through, or should it only be bought after playing the original content? I won't be playing this multiple times, so if it's the former I suppose I should look into it.

It'll be harder on NG+. So, you might want to delay beating the last boss in the main game before playing the DLC. If you go past the last boss in Mensis you apparently lose some DLC dialogue in the dream.

2AdEPT

Playing this for the first time. Even with significant Souls experience, it's pretty rough at the start. Playing essentially blind makes it even harder. Though it did feel good to inadvertently stumble upon the Hunter's set.

Still haven't gotten to Cleric Beast yet, though. And having to clear out the big area full of enemies every time I die is getting a bit tiresome. Just gotta keep at it, I suppose.

yeah just ignore the mobs and run to the next area...no need to kill everything each time unless you need echoes or vials. Its good to kil everyting once just in case there is a drop but once I clear an area out of all is treasures, I never bother doing so again. Speed runners have proven over and over that their way to do things viable....and in most cases superior.

So, I beat the DLC about two days ago and I kinda knew that the doll gives some extra dialogue for
Gherman
. But today as soon as the loading screen was done, I heard
Gherman
say something along the lines of
"Oh, Laurence, what's taking you so long? I'm an old man. I can only do so much."
. I gotta say it freaked me out a little bit since I didn't expect anybody to be talking as soon as the game loaded.

So, does that mean that
Gherman and Laurence were working together? As in, creating the dream together?

EDIT: Ah, I found some video with the dialogue: https://youtu.be/USdiZYBpWao

myco666

Guys where the hell can I find Yellow Backbone besides One Reborn and Mensis? Apparently you can buy them on NG+ after you've created a depth 5 root dungeon with all offerings. However I need just one more backbone to even make a a depth 5 dungeon with all offerings.

From Isz layer 3 you get three of them. So just keep making that until you have enough.

laxu

Have you gone thru all the bonus areas in the fixed dungeons? Might be something in there. Don't remember how much you need.

laxu

Despite what some might say about the camera going wonky at times, lock on is good against him. Basically in phase one you just need to learn to dodge the circular swipes to his side and back. In second phase just circle to the left and when he spits lava get close to his side and start hitting.

Melchiah

I used the Charred set, as it has the highest fire resistance.

laxu

I just realized this is actually the OT for the DLC :lol
I thought it was just part of the OT's title or something. That said, sorry for my posts earlier. I'll be sure to move new (non-DLC-relevant) ones over to the main thread.

Well this thread has all kinds of stuff in it so main game stuff is fine IMO. DLC is much easier in NG. I'd probably go for the DLC before you beat Rom and if it proves too tough, play the main game a bit more and then come back. Complete DLC before killing Mergo's Wet Nurse.

Melchiah

Well this thread has all kinds of stuff in it so main game stuff is fine IMO. DLC is much easier in NG. I'd probably go for the DLC before you beat Rom and if it proves too tough, play the main game a bit more and then come back. Complete DLC before killing Mergo's Wet Nurse.

I tried the DLC before beating Rom, at level 60, and it was too hard for me. So I went further on in the main game, just until Mergo, and levelled up to 90. After that the DLC was more doable for me.

I was stuck on him for a long time but when I tried to be more aggressive it went a lot better. I was also using Whirligig, NG+++, around lvl 200.
Maybe this will help: https://youtu.be/JELefYeebFQ.

I'd only seen his crawling form like twice before so it gets a bit ugly by then.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My Holy Moonlight Sword's AR is at 980-ish and I am not even really trying to find the best gems for it, HOLY SHIT.

Even the best that I can do with Boom Hammer is around 910-ish. Unreal.

Houndi101

Brain Trusts

5bb.gif

myco666

My Holy Moonlight Sword's AR is at 980-ish and I am not even really trying to find the best gems for it, HOLY SHIT.

Even the best that I can do with Boom Hammer is around 910-ish. Unreal.

Do you need high Arcane to get that much out of Boom Hammer? At 50 Str and 10 Arc it felt very lacking in damage.

Astral

Lmao this is jawsome. Oh and apparently the wiki was wrong about needing to have made a chalice with all offerings to have a lot of the materials for sale. It seems being in NG+ was enough for me. I'm not sure what the requirements are exactly.

Pompadour

Quick question I couldn't find concretely answered elsewhere: do summoning cooperators increase a boss's health or defense?

I've been trying to beat Defiled Amygdala with the Bowblade while the Old Hunters in Layer 3 distract her but my damage is incredibly small. The Bowblade is +10 and I have 50 BT so I think I should be doing a little more. I don't know if I have enough Blood Vials and QS to take her down. I've reached her last 20% of health with no ammo and both Old Hunters dead before I get squashed.

I'm curious if it would be easier just to do it solo.

Astral

Quick question I couldn't find concretely answered elsewhere: do summoning cooperators increase a boss's health or defense?

I've been trying to beat Defiled Amygdala with the Bowblade while the Old Hunters in Layer 3 distract her but my damage is incredibly small. The Bowblade is +10 and I have 50 BT so I think I should be doing a little more. I don't know if I have enough Blood Vials and QS to take her down. I've reached her last 20% of health with no ammo and both Old Hunters dead before I get squashed.

I'm curious if it would be easier just to do it solo.

Yeah bosses get more HP the more cooperators you have. Don't summon on bosses where the NPCs can't hang or you'll just make things harder for yourself having to face the boss with buffed HP.

rtcn63

Upgraded the pizza cutter to +10 for some reason. It's not as strong as my Ludwig's even with the same gems, but I guess the L2 is pretty useful for stunning larger enemies. I used it to beat
Laurence. Took me a while to get the distance down, especially without lock-on. The L2 was helpful in taking out his final lava fuck form since I could remain stationary. If he gets you in a corner with his crawling swipe attack, you're dead.

rtcn63

I have 50/50 Str/Dex, worth using dex weapons? I've been two-handing slow shit. Got Ludwig's, Holy Moonlight Great Sword, and Pizza Cutter at +10.

Wagram

Anyone happen to know how the DLC trophy percentage operates? It's at about 9.5% for the first boss. Does that % include all BB users who don't even own the DLC? If so that would suggest at least 200,000 of the BB audience bought The Old Hunters.

Top Bottom