• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Melchiah

My build no good for parry. I'm all about the mindless two-hand.

ak83Tyhl.png

Melchiah

Oh man I forgot you could stack runes. I should mess around with that. My favorite combo right now is Oedon Writhe, Clawmark, and Blood Rapture.

I used mostly Anti-Clockwise Metamorphosis, Great Lake and Great Deep Sea in the main game, but in the DLC I switched ACM to Clawmark or Guidance, depending on the boss. And GDS to Fading Lake against L
aurence

I had none, and very little health. I think I have a rune for +4 Blood Vials. Should've used it there.

Honestly, before I fought Laurence, I was expecting him to be a lot worse based on what people were saying. He's basically just a Cleric Beast on steroids....and fire.

Melchiah

Honestly, before I fought Laurence, I was expecting him to be a lot worse based on what people were saying. He's basically just a Cleric Beast on steroids....and fire.

It was the hardest boss fight outside of chalices for me, even with the help of NPC hunter. When I didn't die in the early stages of the second phase, I depleted the Blood Vial supply. I dread the last DLC boss, based on what I've heard about it here.

neoemonk

Ludwig beating me down on NG+ at BL 106. No bueno. I'm stubborn because I don't like bringing NPC hunters or summoning but I might give in.

Grisby

These gatling gun hunters and giant purple axe wielding dudes can suck a fat dick. A big one that causes frenzy and death when you slurp on it.

Melchiah

These gatling gun hunters and giant purple axe wielding dudes can suck a fat dick. A big one that causes frenzy and death when you slurp on it.

The hunter was pretty easy, when you just ran through the narrow cave, and circle him around the rock. As for the executioners, it's easy to cheese them. Just
run past them, and backstab them after they've returned to their post.

It was the hardest boss fight outside of chalices for me, even with the help of NPC hunter. When I didn't die in the early stages of the second phase, I depleted the Blood Vial supply. I dread the last DLC boss, based on what I've heard about it here.

...There was an NPC hunter available? I never saw a summon sign anywhere.

The run where I finally beat Laurence started out really badly. I used 4 vials within the first minute. I thought it was over by then. But I managed to be patient and chip away at him until he changed forms. At that point I said fuck it and started using the bolt paper I wouldn't have wasted on an attempt I thought would fail. It took me a few minutes of playing keep away to scout his attacks in that form and find an opening, but I think I ended up doing pretty well. He only almost killed me once toward the end.

Astral

Can someone remind me what worthwhile items are in the Hintertomb, Loran, and Isz chalice dungeons? Do I need to do them?

Melchiah

...There was an NPC hunter available? I never saw a summon sign anywhere.

The run where I finally beat Laurence started out really badly. I used 4 vials within the first minute. I thought it was over by then. But I managed to be patient and chip away at him until he changed forms. At that point I said fuck it and started using the bolt paper I wouldn't have wasted on an attempt I thought would fail. It took me a few minutes of playing keep away to scout his attacks in that form and find an opening, but I think I ended up doing pretty well. He only almost killed me once toward the end.

Ah, you probably didn't have the League rune equipped, as the hunter is Valtr.

It didn't begin very good for me either, as I missed him with several strikes. I've noticed, that sometimes it's a bit hard for me to judge distance with the Cane's whip form. Valtr was helpful in keeping the attention away from me, but didn't last long during the second phase, as usual. He did stay alive against Ludwig though. I imagine Laurence is a pain in the ass without him.

Here's a video of the fight:
https://youtu.be/EnYorp-qgcw

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can someone remind me what worthwhile items are in the Hintertomb, Loran, and Isz chalice dungeons? Do I need to do them?
Depends on what you mean by "need". All Chalice Dungeons are optional. If you want the Platinum, or just at least reach the final boss of the story chalice dungeons, some are needed.

Hintertomb: Drops Lower Hintertomb Chalice, and in Lower Hintertomb, you can unlock the Madman armour set in the messenger bath after defeating the Madman boss on layer 2. Otherwise all of Hintertomb is completely optional for story dungeons or the Platinum, can be skipped entirely.

Ailing Loran - Bastard of Loran, needed to make a Cursed Chalice (including the famous Defiled Pthumeru). You also get the Lower Loran Chalice, of course.

Isz - Red Jelly, found in layer 3, needed to make Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice, which is the final "story" Chalice dungeon. You can also find Red Jelly in Lower Loran (one in layer 2, one in layer 3) though. You also find 2 Red Jelly in the Lecture Building, and so if you go to NG+ you can find 2 more (you need 4 Red Jelly to make Ihyll) if you want to skip Isz or Lower Loran.

Of course all of these chalices might have decent blood gems depending on how far you are in the game, and the root versions might have good runes or Lost/Uncanny weapons as well if you want those, but that can vary a lot.

2AdEPT

I can't put this down until I kill Laurence. :p

I figured out that like the Cleric Beast, he's a lot more manageable if you don't lock onto him. Are there any runes that are especilly helpful against him? Would physical damage or fire damage reduction be more helpful?

Damn, I need to go get that blade.

I'm guessing the one in that video is a +10 on the first playthrough, though. Or does it eat through his HP like that on NG+, too?

You dont have to get bowblade if you already have the repeating pistol with bone marrow ash ready to go. BMA with Evelyn and bowlblade would be similar with the exception that bowblade might be easier to execute although if you use BMA with either pistol it should still out damage the bowblade dependign on gems. Cant recall if I posted my bloodtnge build fight with Laurence for you yet, but it felt easy on try three in NG...(but less face it, NG doestn really matter if you learn the attacks...if he never hits you its just a metter of time no matter what NG you are on.

Grisby

This game is so good. First day of playing the dlc and
Ludwig
is down thanks to some jolly cooperation.

I think it's a real shame that this will be the only DLC the game gets. Ah, at least From is probably working on a Bloodborne 2 or something.

The visuals of the DLC hasnt quite wowed me yet outside of one particular vista. Still, such a good gggame and the atmosphere is off the charts as usual.
The hunter was pretty easy, when you just ran through the narrow cave, and circle him around the rock. As for the executioners, it's easy to cheese them. Just
run past them, and backstab them after they've returned to their post.
This was a good tip regarding the big guys. Thanks a lot.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Playing this for the first time. Even with significant Souls experience, it's pretty rough at the start. Playing essentially blind makes it even harder. Though it did feel good to inadvertently stumble upon the Hunter's set.

Still haven't gotten to Cleric Beast yet, though. And having to clear out the big area full of enemies every time I die is getting a bit tiresome. Just gotta keep at it, I suppose.

ChrisD

Edit: Wait, I do have one question before rambling. What do I do with Coldblood Dew? Am I free to just use them to fill up on some Echoes? Or would I be wasting something that comes up later? Thanks in advance!

New to this game -- and all Souls games, as after not getting my magic-y make-y thing in Dark Souls before flying off on some giant bird and then learning that I left my magic behind, I dropped it for a while and just... kind of left it there as more games came in.

I don't even know what discussion to make/partake in, but I needed somewhere to talk about my experience so far. If you don't mind my intrudin'.

So, I made it to the Cleric Beast on New Years Eve, after spending four hours running the same plaza and dying on the same bridge to the same two giant werewolves. I was NOT prepared for it. I was just trying to explore, then suddenly BOOM GIANT GUY, HOWDY. Needless to say, I tried to fight, but I died pretty quickly. I then figured, "let me save and quit..." so I went to the Hunter's Dream. This is where I learned that I could repair my broken weapons.

Repeat hours later. I try to fight Cleric Beast again. I die on the way there. Flustered, I decide to stop early and save and quit again. But this time, I found out I can FREAKING LEVEL UP IN THIS GAME, WHAT?

So, I left the game alone for a whole week, as life/other games were keeping me away. But I really wanted to play this game now that I knew I was basically playing hard mode unknowingly.

Got back on it today. I explored allllll over the place. Found multiple shortcuts. Leveled up once. Stocked up some Storage. Then I went exploring again... and I ran into some guy chopping a beast up; repeatedly, I may add. He turns around and says something along the lines of, "Too many beasts outside the shop. Soon, you'll be one of them."

And I'm thinkin', "for Pete's sake, please don't be a boss, I'm stocked and everything, but I have 5k Echoes and I was just about to spend them, and maybe you're a good guy an--"

Boss health meter pops up, epic music ensues. Some guy called Father Ga-something is now battling me.

Shoot

I was doing relatively well in the fight. I brought his health down to... hmmm.. 300? But I learned another thing the hard way in that... you can't pause this game. Which really. Really. Sucks. (My sister was calling me...)

So. Now I'm back at the Hunter's Dream after running around and finding some more paths and all that jazz. Not sure if there's anything more for me to find out on this trip. But I do have 6k Echoes to spend! I think I'll be stocking up/leveling up, and finally taking on the Cleric Beast. If I almost beat the second boss (looked it up to see if I found some sort of secret boss or something!) on my first shot, I can totally kill the first on a less newbie attempt!

Also, the Rapier/Whip weapon totally kicks whatever stupid business is being shown in this video.

Pfffft.
PPPPPFFFFFFFFT I SAY. I fight like a MAN. None of this charge up swing-y business! I fight with my little sword!

The coldblood is for gaining souls like a bag of money, use it to level up or upgrade stuff, dont be afraid to use it to buy weapons or if you need a small portion of souls to reach a new level, you will meet bigger "blood bags" later on the game.

Sounds like you have a lot of fun

ChrisD

The coldblood is for gaining souls like a bag of money, use it to level up or upgrade stuff, dont be afraid to use it to buy weapons or if you need a small portion of souls to reach a new level, you will meet bigger "blood bags" later on the game.

Sounds like you have a lot of fun

Cool, thanks!
That makes me glad since I used them up to level up

The game is definitely fun once you learn some of the important systems, haha. It was kind of on me for not checking the Dream again, but the game didn't exactly tell me just how much was there for a second visit. When the first lantern showed up it basically just said, "Hey buddy, this is a save point that can take you back." Probably my biggest complaint so far since it did eat four hours of my time. :lol

Also, I take back what I said about the Sword thing, because I just unlocked the option to use a Hammer. As an avid Hammer user in Monster Hunter games, I have to give this thing a shot. Probably won't feel the same, but it's worth trying. (Well, trying after grinding for a bit to level up my Strength to a suitable level.)

laxu

Cool, thanks!
That makes me glad since I used them up to level up

The game is definitely fun once you learn some of the important systems, haha. It was kind of on me for not checking the Dream again, but the game didn't exactly tell me just how much was there for a second visit. When the first lantern showed up it basically just said, "Hey buddy, this is a save point that can take you back." Probably my biggest complaint so far since it did eat four hours of my time. :lol

Also, I take back what I said about the Sword thing, because I just unlocked the option to use a Hammer. As an avid Hammer user in Monster Hunter games, I have to give this thing a shot. Probably won't feel the same, but it's worth trying. (Well, trying after grinding for a bit to level up my Strength to a suitable level.)

My tip to you is to learn the gun parry + visceral attack mechanic well. I went thru the game the first time without really using it whatsoever so it was pretty hard. If you're like me and prefer swords etc to guns then just don't invest any levels into Bloodtinge, the parry mechanic works fine even with either of the starting weapons. The Blunderbuss is easier for learning because it usually stops whatever attack the enemy is doing even if you miss the parry window. Now go find that fat executioner guy and practice on him! Or Father Gascoigne as you're really going to need parry in that fight.

laxu

I feel like I'm a minority. I really like them. Although I'm doing cursed/rotten now, so it is a bit more random than the standard dungeons as far as enemy/items are concerned.

The later ones where you are actually rewarded some decent loot for your efforts are more bearable. But most of them just have completely shit stuff like ritual materials or bullets in chests at the end of a bonus route. They really should've made the fixed dungeons more rewarding - you should at least be able to get all the runes you can only find in Chalice dungeons. Instead you now have to get lucky or consult one the glyph guides on the 'net.

Evo X

Friend made me this sweet Bloodborne glass in celebration of completing every piece of content in the main game(including Chalice dungeons) and DLC in co-op together. Kind of hard to see against the background, but it's the Hunter from the cover on 1 side and an inscription on the other that reads, "We Are Born Of The Blood, Made Men By The Blood, Undone By The Blood."

82sXIh6.jpg

cczCWxY.jpg

Melchiah

This was a good tip regarding the big guys. Thanks a lot.

Glad to help, as I had problems with them as well.

Playing this for the first time. Even with significant Souls experience, it's pretty rough at the start. Playing essentially blind makes it even harder. Though it did feel good to inadvertently stumble upon the Hunter's set.

Still haven't gotten to Cleric Beast yet, though. And having to clear out the big area full of enemies every time I die is getting a bit tiresome. Just gotta keep at it, I suppose.

There's a shortcut
right after the mob, behind the barrels on the left, where the big guy is pounding on the gate.

Novocaine

I cheesed Simon to get the Bowblade at level 25, he's pretty much impossible to beat without cheese at that low of a level.

It does pretty decent damage at base Bloodtinge, but I think I'm gonna need at least two communion runes if I want to use the bow freely. it's pretty useless against multiple enemies though, but I'm gonna make it work, it's a very fun coop build.

pwmf22gu
5pwujscd

The first one will give you radials, and the second one will give you triangular, both will be dropped by the first layer boss, just run past all the enemies, the lever is fairly close to the Lantern.

Late reply (from me) but thanks. Gonna give these a try now.

Fighting Orphan of Kos, and I switch up my gems to see if can get any more damage. Turns out I actually do less damage, but that's the fight I win on anyway ╭( ・ㅂ・)و

laxu

Fighting Orphan of Kos, and I switch up my gems to see if can get any more damage. Turns out I actually do less damage, but that's the fight I win on anyway ╭( ・ㅂ・)و

I have defeated several chalice bosses while using Moon runes because I forgot to replace them with +HP and +stamina ones after grinding for some echoes. Defiled Pthumerian Elder was a lot of fun with the wrong runes...

myco666

The later ones where you are actually rewarded some decent loot for your efforts are more bearable. But most of them just have completely shit stuff like ritual materials or bullets in chests at the end of a bonus route. They really should've made the fixed dungeons more rewarding - you should at least be able to get all the runes you can only find in Chalice dungeons. Instead you now have to get lucky or consult one the glyph guides on the 'net.

Yeah Chalices are missed potential. I like going through them but I would enjoy them way more if there was actually something worthwile gear or items in them.

AEREC

My stamina seems to have maxed out at 160 with 40 in endurance. Is there no benefit to putting more points in endurance now?

Just beat Ludwig for the first time. I'm stubbornly holding onto the playstyle of never summoning npc's. Makes it harder but much more satisfying.
In regards Ludwig though it took me about 15 goes to get him to half health, and then when he
pulled out his blade
I was really concerned. But he was so much easier after. I beat him first time he did it.
I'm level 180 on Ng++.

Oh, and 2 hand axe playstyle for the win.

myco666

My stamina seems to have maxed out at 160 with 40 in endurance. Is there no benefit to putting more points in endurance now?

Your resistances goes up if you level End after 40 but you should just stop leveling it now. Much more worthwhile to put points in anything else.

rtcn63

I didn't even know how to summon people outside of the Ludwig fight. But if you're in NG+ or just like in the double digit levels, I can see the need in having a temporary tank. Although that is less insight for blood rocks, so I'd only call one if I knew I could take the boss in a few tries.

I didn't even know how to summon people outside of the Ludwig fight. But if you're in NG+ or just like in the double digit levels, I can see the need in having a temporary tank. Although that is less insight for blood rocks, so I'd only call one if I knew I could take the boss in a few tries.

From the nearest lamp(not the one you unlock after beating him of course) go down the stairs and there a summon point to the left.

Pompadour

What level should I be to fight NG+ Orphan of Kos? I wait for minutes and rarely find help whereas I find a cooperator for any other boss immediately.

neoemonk

I feel ashamed that I needed Valtr to defeat Ludwig. I wish I wasn't playing on NG+ to be honest but with only a few hours available a week for gaming it would take me too long to start a new game and get a character into the DLC.

I had just died so many times on Ludwig and almost never made it to the second form. I had a lot of two minute or less deaths. I've played through every Souls game but somehow I feel like I'm getting worse :D

Top Bottom