• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Arondight

Completely surprised how tough Old hunters is. At least twice as hard as the main game for sure. I didn't quite like Hunter's nightmare due to cathedral ward location but the boss was great. Research Hall had same really great level design. I must have run past the lamp post for Research hall so much times due to not seeing it and thinking there was no lamp post.

LF fight was literally the worst for me. Must of died 4 times before beating them because of the AOE blast every single time. Only realized it was better to contain them on one side and then quickly run to the otherside.

LM was incredible. Nearly killed me before even landing a single hit in the beginning due to underestimating dodging and range trying to parry. Finished that first time which was incredibly satisfying.

Onto Fishing Hamlet. Hope it's good.

Anyone happen to know how the DLC trophy percentage operates? It's at about 9.5% for the first boss. Does that % include all BB users who don't even own the DLC? If so that would suggest at least 200,000 of the BB audience bought The Old Hunters.

I think is the players who owns the patch that enables the trophies, did you saw the Father G % ? is shocking.

Heh. Just cheesed the shark brothers from the ledge, and Rakuyo is now mine. The only thing left to do is to beat OoK.

Not really a cheese considering you get the Bow Blade at that part of the game for that moment alone because the next area feels like was designed to be a shooting practice also you can get the long range spell earlier. Patience have its rewards and FROMSOFT knew most of the players wont move until they get down those enemies in the well, then knew too late it was another entrance to the Well

Melchiah

Not really a cheese considering you get the Bow Blade at that part of the game for that moment alone because the next area feels like was designed to be a shooting practice also you can get the long range spell earlier. Patience have its rewards and FROMSOFT knew most of the players wont move until they get down those enemies in the well, then knew too late it was another entrance to the Well

I actually used the Cane's whip form, after I lured one of them closer with a throwing knife. It does seem like it was intended to be done that way.

By the way, what methods you can use to kill the S
weet Child of Kos
? I read something about regular weapons not having an effect. My arcane level is only at 7, so I hope there's some other way to do it than using the hunter tools, as I'd rather not grind to increase that stat.

EDIT: For some reason the enemy hunter doesn't appear near the Forbidden Woods lantern for me, eventhough I've spoken with Valtr and crushed 3 vermins. Is there something I'm missing?

rtcn63

weet Child of Kos
? I read something about regular weapons not having an effect. My arcane level is only at 7, so I hope there's some other way to do it than using the hunter tools, as I'd rather not grind to increase that stat.

I just swiped at it a few times with my Ludwig's.

weet Child of Kos

EDIT: For some reason the enemy hunter doesn't appear near the Forbidden Woods lantern for me, eventhough I've spoken with Valtr and crushed 3 vermins. Is there something I'm missing?

Mmm? I am pretty sure he is resistance to everything but arcane and have not elemental weakness anyway.

Have you tried warping to the dream and go back? He will surely appears after 5 vermins

Melchiah

Mmm? I am pretty sure he is resistance to everything but arcane and have not elemental weakness anyway.

Have you tried warping to the dream and go back? He will surely appears after 5 vermins

So arcane is required after all. I guess arcane gems could do the trick?

Yeah, I went to the dream and returned. Perhaps I need to get two more vermins. Any suggestions where to find them?

rtcn63

I'm confused. I thought you were referring
to the thing after killing Orphan. When I googled "Sweet child of Kos" that's what showed up.

laxu

weet Child of Kos

Any weapon is fine afaik. Increasing arcane is well worth it as it increases your discovery stat so you get better item drops from enemies. Plus spells are fun.

So arcane is required after all. I guess arcane gems could do the trick?

Yeah, I went to the dream and returned. Perhaps I need to get two more vermins. Any suggestions where to find them?

Nope, the Orphan is not weak against arcane. Arcane itself is not required aside from using spells, getting a good discovery rate bonus and pretty few bosses are weak against it.

You can do coop with the League rune equipped and get vermins everytime for a sucessfull coop.

lol
F3dj6vH.gif

daedalius

Martyr logarius is fucking dumb and annoying

Also why the hell is the right trigger on the ds4 like a hair trigger? I barely have to touch it to accidentally do a power attack.

Rom is worse and more dumb though I think

Grisby

Beat the DLC. Faced
Orphan guy
and beat
him
on my first try solo! Had 3 health vials left and was sweating like a pig. I think that's it as far as bosses go as I beat
Laurence.

I'm trying to do that
brain fluid
quest but
she's just sitting there repeating the dialogue. Got twp for her and now she's splish splooshing.
Might try some more chalice stuff as I never really did anything past depth 2.

Felt pretty good after the repeated try's on all the other bosses and having to use co-op on some of them.

Kind of want Bloodborne 2 tomorrow, or hell, Dark Souls 3.

Beat the DLC. Faced
Orphan guy
and beat
him
on my first try solo! Had 3 health vials left and was sweating like a pig. I think that's it as far as bosses go as I beat
Laurence.

I'm trying to do that
brain fluid
quest but
she's just sitting there repeating the dialogue. Got twp for her and now she's splish splooshing.

Felt pretty good after the repeated try's on all the other bosses and having to use co-op on some of them.

Kind of want Bloodborne 2 tomorrow, or hell, Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2?

Just beat
Ludwig
(first DLC boss).

Holy hell. No other game makes me feel like this.
I go from "I hate this boss. I'll never be able to beat it." to "This boss is actually super fun, I kinda hope I don't beat it this round"

Once I got a feel for him, he became my favorite boss of the game.

Who says these games aren't "fun"? ;)

Bruzur

Neo Member
Laurence
is the only boss I couldn't beat solo. :( Just cant figure out how to stagger him.

I tend to use the
Accursed Brew
/ Executioner's Gloves in order to stagger him efficiently enough to achieve a Visceral Attack.

Either that, or simply fire a few shots (at his head) from Evelyn or Ludwig's Rifle - that'll do it (in his first form).

Then again, he also takes damage to his limbs, so you can make alternating rounds between the left and right legs. And of course, once the damage is dealt - he'll pause because his limbs "rupture," thus allowing massive punishment.

Melchiah

I'm confused. I thought you were referring
to the thing after killing Orphan. When I googled "Sweet child of Kos" that's what showed up.
Any weapon is fine afaik. Increasing arcane is well worth it as it increases your discovery stat so you get better item drops from enemies. Plus spells are fun.
Nope, the Orphan is not weak against arcane. Arcane itself is not required aside from using spells, getting a good discovery rate bonus and pretty few bosses are weak against it.

You can do coop with the League rune equipped and get vermins everytime for a sucessfull coop.

I think there's some mix up. I was referring to the
shadow that remains by the body after the boss fight.
I read somewhere, that weapons had no effect on it. It's all well and good, if that's not the case.

I don't really need to increase the arcane level at this point in the game, but I might replay the DLC with my NG+ character which has higher stats all around.

So, there aren't more enemy hunters to get Vermin from, or do they (like the one with Saif) respawn in the DLC?

I'm trying to do that
brain fluid
quest but

You need get rid off
Arianna's and Losefka's blood
to be able to receive hers, and return to the dream, or perhaps use (Bold) Hunter's Mark, for the quest to proceed.

Melchiah

Just beat
Ludwig
(first DLC boss).

Holy hell. No other game makes me feel like this.
I go from "I hate this boss. I'll never be able to beat it." to "This boss is actually super fun, I kinda hope I don't beat it this round"

Once I got a feel for him, he became my favorite boss of the game.

Who says these games aren't "fun"? ;)

I've never had that feeling myself. Although, I kinda wanted to retry the fight against M
aria
, as I missed one of the visceral strikes, and it would have been nice to win the fight without taking any damage.

myco666

50 Strength and Arcane with 2 27%-ish gems and one 25%-ish gem. The uncanny version, mind you, since it has 2 radial and 1 triangle.

Might be my low Arcane then. I get more damage out of Church Pick than I can get from Boom Hammer with same gems.

Trying to beat bosses without vials on NG++ and OoK is making me go insane. First phase goes pretty well for most of the time but that second phase just ugh.

Ratrat

I tend to use the
Accursed Brew
/ Executioner's Gloves in order to stagger him efficiently enough to achieve a Visceral Attack.

Either that, or simply fire a few shots (at his head) from Evelyn or Ludwig's Rifle - that'll do it (in his first form).

Then again, he also takes damage to his limbs, so you can make alternating rounds between the left and right legs. And of course, once the damage is dealt - he'll pause because his limbs "rupture," thus allowing massive punishment.
Hmm...I should really experiment with other firarms. Just used the default pistol for the entire game!

laxu

Hmm...I should really experiment with other firarms. Just used the default pistol for the entire game!

Default pistol is fine if you have low bloodtinge. Evelyn is pretty much the same thing but does more damage if you have high BT.

Blunderbuss fires just as fast but has longer recovery so you might miss a visceral attack if you are slightly further away. On the other side it stops most enemy attacks so you have less chance of getting hit if you miss the stagger window. It's my personal favorite.

Ludwig Rifle has too much recovery time so I find it hard to set up for viscerals using it.

rtcn63

I read somewhere, that weapons had no effect on it. It's all well and good, if that's not the case.

That's what I swiped at. Takes a few hits.

I'm trying to do that
brain fluid
quest but

I fucked up and killed her before she transformed into a giant head. Now I can never get the rune until NG+, so the kos parasite is useless.

gogosox82

Martyr logarius is fucking dumb and annoying

Also why the hell is the right trigger on the ds4 like a hair trigger? I barely have to touch it to accidentally do a power attack.

Rom is worse and more dumb though I think

Gun parry is your friend in this fight. When he goes down on his knee to power himself up, run behind him and visceral attack him to knock him out of it. When he puts his sword in the ground in the second phase, you can shoot the sword with your gun so you don't have to deal with the swords flying everywhere.

He's honestly not that bad once you understand how he works and how to beat him. I think he's a great fight, probably one of the best fights in the game.

I don't really need to increase the arcane level at this point in the game, but I might replay the DLC with my NG+ character which has higher stats all around.

So, there aren't more enemy hunters to get Vermin from, or do they (like the one with Saif) respawn in the DLC?

Oh, you can hit it with anything , I hit it with my Cane

Red glowing eyes nightmare Hunters can drop it as far as I know

Breads

Banned
Upgraded the pizza cutter to +10 for some reason. It's not as strong as my Ludwig's even with the same gems, but I guess the L2 is pretty useful for stunning larger enemies. I used it to beat
Laurence. Took me a while to get the distance down, especially without lock-on. The L2 was helpful in taking out his final lava fuck form since I could remain stationary. If he gets you in a corner with his crawling swipe attack, you're dead.

It's L2 and the fact that it's a heavy Saw weapon, making it good for Beasts, is the justification for having it.

Holy shit at the Holy Moonlight Sword trivializing certain bosses while tackling the Chalice dungeons though. Defiled Hotdog and Amygdala, both Abhorent Beasts, and the like were no longer choke points. It was pretty great.

Grisby

Dark Souls 2?
Played it.
You need get rid off
Arianna's and Losefka's blood
to be able to receive hers, and return to the dream, or perhaps use (Bold) Hunter's Mark, for the quest to proceed.
Thanks.
That's what I swiped at. Takes a few hits.

I fucked up and killed her before she transformed into a giant head. Now I can never get the rune until NG+, so the kos parasite is useless.
Damn, that sucks.

Melchiah

Oh, you can hit it with anything , I hit it with my Cane

Red glowing eyes nightmare Hunters can drop it as far as I know

Are there certain places they roam, or is it just random?

Goddam, the last boss is a pain the ass. I almost got him once, but was killed before being able to do one more visceral strike. So, my question is, do strength and arcane stats affect visceral damage on Moonlight Sword? If they do, I'll increase them, so I would need one visceral less to kill the bastard.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sorry if this question has been asked a trillion times at this point, but:

Is the Japanese retail release fully in English if I'm playing on a US console? I want to pick up the complete edition of the game, and would prefer to go with the JP release if it would actually make sense to do so.

rtcn63

It's L2 and the fact that it's a heavy Saw weapon, making it good for Beasts, is the justification for having it.

Holy shit at the Holy Moonlight Sword trivializing certain bosses while tackling the Chalice dungeons though. Defiled Hotdog and Amygdala, both Abhorent Beasts, and the like were no longer choke points. It was pretty great.

I don't like the HMS as much as Ludwig's. Could be that I only have 25 Arcane and that most of my gems are geared towards physical damage. But no, it's more the lack of stagger. I've read that R2 staggers enemies, but it doesn't seem to work for me, at least on bosses. Ludwig's and the Pizza Cutter are just stronger and easier to use.

I went back and defeated the BSB in Ailing Loran. I'd gained like 15 levels since my last attempt at him, so that helped.

Jingo

Does anyone know a good place for blood stone chunks? I spent all that i had and know i dont know where to look, that final area before Kos was great for getting them but now i need more, i have a blood rock waiting to be used :(

myco666

Now that I managed to get OoK down without vials I am going up against Laurence. I thought OoK was bad but oh god this fight. Barely can make to second phase.

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Darkbeast Paarl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTi_WrS0m4

Bloodborne - NG+5 - One Reborn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh-O8GZeyQo

Paarl always has that really annoying "just gonna get you by a sliver" AoE. Really not a tough boss even on NG+5. I noobed through him. One Reborn...not sure why I capped. At least it isn't as bad as Rom, right?

Oh you went back to using BoM. Paarl has bunch of annoying stuff but that is mostly due to the camera not really working in that fight. I've managed to dodge towards him so many times when I wanted to get away its ridiculous.

Breads

Banned
I don't like the HMS as much as Ludwig's. Could be that I only have 25 Arcane and that most of my gems are geared towards physical damage. But no, it's more the lack of stagger. I've read that R2 staggers enemies, but it doesn't seem to work for me, at least on bosses. Ludwig's and the Pizza Cutter are just stronger and easier to use.

I went back and defeated the BSB in Ailing Loran. I'd gained like 15 levels since my last attempt at him, so that helped.

The thing about HMS is to do the ranged attacks (well R2, charged R2, and jumping attack)... in range of the melee swing so that it double hits. A well placed L2 works too for stagger though it doesn't do as much damage. The weapon is most definitely a stagger machine though. The ranged options are also fun though. Especially doing the charged R2 into another R2 since this can also poise em down on top of doing nasty damage.

It takes a bit to gets a bit of getting used to and learning how to bait enemies into the hitbox of the charged R2 double hit but a well placed double hit is easily the single most powerful attack in the game at 1200 or so damage (well, on a char recently made with 70 arcane).

daedalius

Gun parry is your friend in this fight. When he goes down on his knee to power himself up, run behind him and visceral attack him to knock him out of it. When he puts his sword in the ground in the second phase, you can shoot the sword with your gun so you don't have to deal with the swords flying everywhere.

He's honestly not that bad once you understand how he works and how to beat him. I think he's a great fight, probably one of the best fights in the game.

The fight was much more enjoyable once phase 2 began, he kept hugging the edge of the roof for me, so dodging his ridiculous shotgun skull was just pitching me off the edge. Once phase 2 began I just visceral'd him to death and stayed behind a pillar away from the swords.

Rom was dumb and u enjoyable but he is dead too now

Just platinumed the game. My first ever. :)

It's taken awhile for me to admit to myself, but I have to say Bloodborne has taken Dark Souls' place as my favorite. Now on NG+++++ and can't wait to go through it again. Definitely my GOTY 2015.

Took me way too long to finish the dlc. Took a two week break, only to come back to the game, take a few steps forward...and enter the final boss arena lol. Ended up getting the Roka-whatever weapon afterwards. Huge pain in the ass lol

So after clearing the area, decided it was time for cleanup. So I went to the first lantern and checked out this cave.

Holy fuck did I clench my butt cheeks. Completely unexpected and intense as all hell after having only 1 health vial lol. I want bloodborne 2 already.

gunbo13

Oh you went back to using BoM. Paarl has bunch of annoying stuff but that is mostly due to the camera not really working in that fight. I've managed to dodge towards him so many times when I wanted to get away its ridiculous.
The main reason Paarl can be exploited with forward dodging is his lack of punish for it. The worse you get as an immediate punish is his strafe swipe. He gets me in the vid at some point on it as it is a really quick attack but it barely registers damage, even with my paper armor. So you really only have to worry about his AoE attack and that is easily dodgeable if you are careful.

I can't find any weapon that matches BoM so went back to it. Its only weakness is its range. So you have to be on point when fighting bosses like Paarl and Amygdala. If you aren't (whiffs) then you kill what makes BoM so crazy powerful, which is of course the scaling. I definitely need to find a new weapon that clicks though cause it will bore again soon.

BB needs a boss rush mode badly or a DMC Bloody Palace. On later NG runs, I fight almost the same amount of hunters & bosses than normal enemies. It's all about sprinting to short-cuts cause why bother killing fodder again and again.

Are there certain places they roam, or is it just random?

Goddam, the last boss is a pain the ass. I almost got him once, but was killed before being able to do one more visceral strike. So, my question is, do strength and arcane stats affect visceral damage on Moonlight Sword? If they do, I'll increase them, so I would need one visceral less to kill the bastard.

Go to the cementery area (the round area), there is a big hunter there

Top Bottom