• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

-Kees-

Can't beat the first DLC boss.

Have three Madman's Knowledge because I used them all to buy a bloodrock.

On two different attempts I summon someone and they both die to the same charging attack.

Now have 1 insight left.

Fucking great.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are there certain places they roam, or is it just random?

Goddam, the last boss is a pain the ass. I almost got him once, but was killed before being able to do one more visceral strike. So, my question is, do strength and arcane stats affect visceral damage on Moonlight Sword? If they do, I'll increase them, so I would need one visceral less to kill the bastard.

Viscerals are affected by:

Your level.
Your Skill.
The physical gems slotted into your weapon. %Physicalup gems, to be precise, so those Thrust or Blunt gems don't work.
And buffs.

That's it.

Bruzur

Neo Member
Can't beat the first DLC boss.

Have three Madman's Knowledge because I used them all to buy a bloodrock.

On two different attempts I summon someone and they both die to the same charging attack.

Now have 1 insight left.

Fucking great.

The fastest way to gain Insight and Chunks (best percentage for drop rates) simultaneously (with the occasional half-decent Triangle Gem), and a total pushover of a "boss" - "jemmjmpi."

Utilize that glyph if you have created a Chalice Dungeon previously with all available Rites.

Once you've learned the appropriate route, this can be finished in less than 5-minutes per entry. With any luck, you'll have gained a Chunk, Gem, and 2 Insight all in the same run.

I love that first DLC boss even as my shit was firmly pushed in. So many good boss fights in this thing, with amazing music.

Dodging into his attacks and to the left (his right) seemed to be the key for the first phase. Keeping to his side rather than his back. His second phase is much more managable as the attacks come out slower.

ManeKast

I'm getting slayed by Kos in NG+. Level 139.

Does anyone offer sumons for this battle? I haven't got one yet but helped a lot of others... Hard fight.

Edit: Prey Slaughtered. That was HARD.

neoemonk

Yesterday I fought Lady Maria, and it was one of the coolest fights in Bloodborne. She beat me down pretty well until I started using the Augur of Ebrietas. In NG+, level 120, and I'm starting to build up Arcane for the first time.

Melchiah

I'm getting slayed by Kos in NG+. Level 139.

Does anyone offer sumons for this battle? I haven't got one yet but helped a lot of others... Hard fight.

Edit: Prey Slaughtered. That was HARD.

Kos is the hardest boss for me after Pthumerian Descendant. I think I have the most trouble with fast and aggressive bosses, and it doesn't help that Kos has a variety of pretty unpredictable attacks. I've already tried to beat it about a dozen of times, and only once I've been actually close to succeeding.

Viscerals are affected by:

Your level.
Your Skill.
The physical gems slotted into your weapon. %Physicalup gems, to be precise, so those Thrust or Blunt gems don't work.
And buffs.

That's it.

Damn. =( I guess I'll just have to raise the vitality stat then, as my skill is already at 50 and I have 20.3%+18%+18% physical attack gems. What buffs would offer the best increase for visceral strikes against Kos?

My visceral strikes do 3333 damage with two Clawmark runes, but I still need to succesfully parry at least five times. It's hard to time it right, especially in the second phase. Too bad I can't yet open the Ailing Loran root chalice, where I could get a Clawmark rune with +30% increase for visceral strike.

Go to the cementery area (the round area), there is a big hunter there

Do you mean the one in Hemwick Charnel Lane, the Cathedral Ward square in the DLC, or something else?

neoemonk

I got to the Fishing Hamlet, but I haven't defeated Laurence yet. I decided to check him out and he killed me in one hit at full health in NG+ so I will probably come back to him, although I do want to get all the trophies in Old Hunters before continuing the quest for my platinum.

The biggest problem I have with the DLC is that I love most of the new weapons.

I made an FRC Great Isz Root Chalice. First floor was simple enough but the boss they gave me was a god damn Undead Giant, I hate the fucking things!!!

laxu

Kos is the hardest boss for me after Pthumerian Descendant. I think I have the most trouble with fast and aggressive bosses, and it doesn't help that Kos has a variety of pretty unpredictable attacks. I've already tried to beat it about a dozen of times, and only once I've been actually close to succeeding.

It's mostly about keeping your cool, which can be difficult when the boss is screaming at the top of its lungs and coming at you with hard hitting attacks. Phase 1 can be done quite neatly by just sticking close and learning to dodge his attacks and healing when you can. Even more important for phase two as Kos has pretty nasty attacks if he is further away from you.

Weapons that have a bit better reach in one handed mode are good against him. In NG I used the Church Pick and in NG+ the Burial Blade.

myco666

Still uploading videos to YT. Decided immediately after Ludwig fight on NG++ to go with no vials / no healing run as I realized that I managed it with 1 vial usage and even that wasn't necessary.

Ludwig
Lady Maria
OoK

Didn't bother with LF since it is pretty boring fight. Going through Laurence still and it will definitely take a while.

The main reason Paarl can be exploited with forward dodging is his lack of punish for it. The worse you get as an immediate punish is his strafe swipe. He gets me in the vid at some point on it as it is a really quick attack but it barely registers damage, even with my paper armor. So you really only have to worry about his AoE attack and that is easily dodgeable if you are careful.

I can't find any weapon that matches BoM so went back to it. Its only weakness is its range. So you have to be on point when fighting bosses like Paarl and Amygdala. If you aren't (whiffs) then you kill what makes BoM so crazy powerful, which is of course the scaling. I definitely need to find a new weapon that clicks though cause it will bore again soon.

BB needs a boss rush mode badly or a DMC Bloody Palace. On later NG runs, I fight almost the same amount of hunters & bosses than normal enemies. It's all about sprinting to short-cuts cause why bother killing fodder again and again.

BoM has pretty ridiculous damage output if you can get bunch of hits going in. I dislike it a lot though. Just not good range and I have trouble getting hits in with it. I would recommend Beast Claw + Beast Embrace as it is some what similiar style setup compared to what you are running. I had fun with it going through every boss.

Chalice Dungeon can almost offer that once you have everything unlocked. It is missing bunch of good fights though.

Damn. =( I guess I'll just have to raise the vitality stat then, as my skill is already at 50 and I have 20.3%+18%+18% physical attack gems. What buffs would offer the best increase for visceral strikes against Kos?

Well you could use Beast Blood Pellet, get the meter up and then go for Viscerals. Nets you pretty huge damage. Other than that I guess Bolt Paper would give best damage boost but it isn't that high.

Melchiah

The Cathedral ward square on the DLC

Thanks.

It's mostly about keeping your cool, which can be difficult when the boss is screaming at the top of its lungs and coming at you with hard hitting attacks. Phase 1 can be done quite neatly by just sticking close and learning to dodge his attacks and healing when you can. Even more important for phase two as Kos has pretty nasty attacks if he is further away from you.

Weapons that have a bit better reach in one handed mode are good against him. In NG I used the Church Pick and in NG+ the Burial Blade.

Well you could use Beast Blood Pellet, get the meter up and then go for Viscerals. Nets you pretty huge damage. Other than that I guess Bolt Paper would give best damage boost but it isn't that high.

I've already given Beast Blood Pellet a shot, but I'll have try it again. I even raised arcane stats to try the Augur of Ebrietas strategy, but neither really helped. The closest I've got with parrying is one visceral short of victory. I wasn't able to parry twice in the second phase, and played it far too carefully, staying too far, depleting all the Blood Vials in the process.

I've been using the Moonlight Sword, and it seems to work better than the Cane in that fight, especially when doing a charge backstab after the jump attack. It also deals more damage.

I've decided to go through the dungeons again to get to Ailing Loran root chalice. Fetch the +30% Clawmark rune from there, increase vitality stats, and purchase Maria's outfit. Increased visceral damage, and higher health and defense should give me more room for error. It sure is a long way to beat a boss, but I don't want to bang my head to the wall repeatedly.

SDR-UK

Melchiah, you should go farm the dungeons for 27.2% physical gems. That'll give you a much better edge than most of what you're suggesting (although the 30% clawmark is awesome!). Here are two common glyph codes to help:

Radial: pwmf22gu
Triangle: 5pwujscd

They're quick and easy (both consist of Merciless Watcher bosses) and will also net you a bunch of blood echoes whilst you're at it, if you are intending on leveling.

Good luck with Kos! He had me stumped for the longest time too.

laxu

I've already given Beast Blood Pellet a shot, but I'll have try it again. I even raised arcane stats to try the Augur of Ebrietas strategy, but neither really helped. The closest I've got with parrying is one visceral short of victory. I wasn't able to parry twice in the second phase, and played it far too carefully, staying too far, depleting all the Blood Vials in the process.

I think trying to get parries is not that great a strategy. Much better to just get a few hits in when you can and a parry and visceral if you get lucky. Both times I've beatin OoK I've only done probably one parry in phase 1 and none in 2.

Melchiah

Melchiah, you should go farm the dungeons for 27.2% physical gems. That'll give you a much better edge than most of what you're suggesting (although the 30% clawmark is awesome!). Here are two common glyph codes to help:

Radial: pwmf22gu
Triangle: 5pwujscd

They're quick and easy (both consist of Merciless Watcher bosses) and will also net you a bunch of blood echoes whilst you're at it, if you are intending on leveling.

Good luck with Kos! He had me stumped for the longest time too.

Unfortunately I'm playing the DLC with a new character, and I only have depth 3 chalices available at the moment. I'm assuming those are depth 5?

I'll definitely look into those glyphs with my NG+ character though. Thanks. =)

I think trying to get parries is not that great a strategy. Much better to just get a few hits in when you can and a parry and visceral if you get lucky. Both times I've beatin OoK I've only done probably one parry in phase 1 and none in 2.

I did the backstab strike every time I evaded the jump attack as well, but it doesn't do that much damage. I did manage to parry three-four times on my best run so far.

I even tried to replicate this parry cheese method, without viscerals, but didn't succeed:
https://youtu.be/MwcaTVDPl6o

I'm fed up with the boss, and just want to see the story to its end.

Ophelion

I had one of my favorite experiences with Bloodborne ever over the weekend.

I had a friend come over who had never touched a Souls style game in his life. The game was just up when he got there and really nervously, he asks if he can roll a character. He says, "I don't think I can play this game, I just want to give it a try."

And I'm like, "Dude. It's strict, not unfair. I could teach anyone how to be a hunter. I will train you."

So, I did. Patiently laughing off any early deaths, making sure he knows it doesn't make him in any way a failure, complimenting him on little things when I see proper form in the midst of his terrified flailing, asking him leading questions, providing just a little bit of knowledge at key moments. Up through the bridge to the Cleric Beast, I would call out when to pull the trigger on the gun in order to get a visceral attack on enemies. A constant firm, but understanding stream of, "Dodge away! Ok, now attack! No, don't run from him you'll lose your regain and he has to recover from the attack. Don't be afraid."

Death screens were used as short lectures related to concepts too complicated to be yelled at him while fighting mutant abominations.

He was thoroughly freaked out that there were several times where I'd say, "There's a hunter sneaking up behind you." Only to turn and find the hunter just rearing back to take a chunk out of him. I seem psychic when training him, but I insist it's just practice. Because most of us just know where those guys are at all times now, yeah?

To his credit and mine, we made it all the way to the Oedon Chapel in about three or four hours. He downed Cleric Beast in one go, which went a long way to boosting his confidence. Had his, "I'm getting pretty good at this!" moment as the Cleric Beast died. I could tell by the look in his eye that he'd developed a taste for the blood by then, already lost to Bloodborne.

Then he met Gascoigne. Lol, that took a bit more coaching. Ultimately, he'd made enough progress that I only had to warn him about poor spacing during that fight. Also, he almost got mangled by his transformed state because he got him down to a magic pixel and thought he was dead and I had to be like, "Hit him again! Hit him and just keep hitting him until it says Prey Slaughtered!" Got the cleaver strike in just as the first frames of his lunge attack were coming out. I think that was on his fourth of fifth try.

He's already asked me when he can come over to keep playing. Coaching him through Old Yharnam and the Blood Starved Beast is going to be...interesting I imagine. Has anyone else ever trained a newbie like this? It's really fun, imo!

KRaZyAmmo

I had one of my favorite experiences with Bloodborne ever over the weekend.

I had a friend come over who had never touched a Souls style game in his life. The game was just up when he got there and really nervously, he asks if he can roll a character. He says, "I don't think I can play this game, I just want to give it a try."

And I'm like, "Dude. It's strict, not unfair. I could teach anyone how to be a hunter. I will train you."

So, I did. Patiently laughing off any early deaths, making sure he knows it doesn't make him in any way a failure, complimenting him on little things when I see proper form in the midst of his terrified flailing, asking him leading questions, providing just a little bit of knowledge at key moments. Up through the bridge to the Cleric Beast, I would call out when to pull the trigger on the gun in order to get a visceral attack on enemies. A constant firm, but understanding stream of, "Dodge away! Ok, now attack! No, don't run from him you'll lose your regain and he has to recover from the attack. Don't be afraid."

Death screens were used as short lectures related to concepts too complicated to be yelled at him while fighting mutant abominations.

He was thoroughly freaked out that there were several times where I'd say, "There's a hunter sneaking up behind you." Only to turn and find the hunter just rearing back to take a chunk out of him. I seem psychic when training him, but I insist it's just practice. Because most of us just know where those guys are at all times now, yeah?

To his credit and mine, we made it all the way to the Oedon Chapel in about three or four hours. He downed Cleric Beast in one go, which went a long way to boosting his confidence. Had his, "I'm getting pretty good at this!" moment as the Cleric Beast died. I could tell by the look in his eye that he'd developed a taste for the blood by then, already lost to Bloodborne.

Then he met Gascoigne. Lol, that took a bit more coaching. Ultimately, he'd made enough progress that I only had to warn him about poor spacing during that fight. Also, he almost got mangled by his transformed state because he got him down to a magic pixel and thought he was dead and I had to be like, "Hit him again! Hit him and just keep hitting him until it says Prey Slaughtered!" Got the cleaver strike in just as the first frames of his lunge attack were coming out. I think that was on his fourth of fifth try.

He's already asked me when he can come over to keep playing. Coaching him through Old Yharnam and the Blood Starved Beast is going to be...interesting I imagine. Has anyone else ever trained a newbie like this? It's really fun, imo!
I've actually tried coaching one of my friends who played Demon Souls for a bit. I only coached during Central Yarnham (spelling). He was a bit too stubborn to take any advice in the early game. (the furthest we got was to the the troll pass the mob).

Ophelion

I've actually tried coaching one of my friends who played Demon Souls for a bit. I only coached during Central Yarnham (spelling). He was a bit too stubborn to take any advice in the early game. (the furthest we got was to the the troll pass the mob).

I actually think straight up newbies are easier to teach than people with some Souls experience. Some of the advice I'm giving in Bloodborne would get you killed in Dark Souls, so people with that background are a lot more resistant at first because I sound like a lunatic when you view the game through a Dark Souls lens.

Also, it's spelled Yharnam. Go check if you don't believe me.

Timeaisis

I'm really torn here. On one hand, I want to continue my NG+ character to get to the DLC (will be faster, because I'm at BSB already), but on the other hand, I hear the DLC is really, really hard on NG+.

Should I just start a new character?

Ophelion

I'm really torn here. On one hand, I want to continue my NG+ character to get to the DLC (will be faster, because I'm at BSB already), but on the other hand, I hear the DLC is really, really hard on NG+.

I just rolled a new guy for the DLC. Didn't take that long and given how much trouble I had with the first boss in the DLC, I can't even imagine trying to do that with any kind of disadvantage.

myco666

I've been using the Moonlight Sword, and it seems to work better than the Cane in that fight, especially when doing a charge backstab after the jump attack. It also deals more damage.

I've decided to go through the dungeons again to get to Ailing Loran root chalice. Fetch the +30% Clawmark rune from there, increase vitality stats, and purchase Maria's outfit. Increased visceral damage, and higher health and defense should give me more room for error. It sure is a long way to beat a boss, but I don't want to bang my head to the wall repeatedly.

Do you have 50 Vit already? Might help a bunch also I would take those Clawmark runes of and change them to Vial ups and Defense ups since those Clawmark runes don't give that much damage boost. I would also use Cane for that fight as it is faster with charges so that you can get more backstabs easier.

Considering you are so close to the DLC on NG+ I would go at least test how the NG+ feels. If it feels way too hard you can then just roll a new character and have a easier time.

Melchiah

Do you have 50 Vit already? Might help a bunch also I would take those Clawmark runes of and change them to Vial ups and Defense ups since those Clawmark runes don't give that much damage boost. I would also use Cane for that fight as it is faster with charges so that you can get more backstabs easier.

Nah, I'm at 40 currently,

Just went through the first Pthumeru chalices, and got enough Ritual Blood (4) to open Ailing Loran. Tomorrow I'll be heading to the root version for the last Clawmark rune, so I can try how it goes with all three equipped. Alternatively, use the 30% one and equip some of the runes you recommended.

KRaZyAmmo

I actually think straight up newbies are easier to teach than people with some Souls experience. Some of the advice I'm giving in Bloodborne would get you killed in Dark Souls, so people with that background are a lot more resistant at first because I sound like a lunatic when you view the game through a Dark Souls lens.

Also, it's spelled Yharnam. Go check if you don't believe me.

yeah I still need to get use to spelling Yharnam properly (I believe you on the spelling of Yharnam) lol
I did actually teach someone without any souls experience too for a short time. Still got in Central Yharnam.

Ophelion

yeah I still need to get use to spelling Yharnam properly (I believe you on the spelling of Yharnam) lol
I did actually teach someone without any souls experience too for a short time. Still got in Central Yharnam.

Hm. Well, maybe my student was just a natural hunter.

At some point, I'm going to coach a friend of mine who has a little Let's Play channel on youtube in a very similar way. If that crashes and burns, I guess I'll know for sure it was all him, lol.

KRaZyAmmo

Hm. Well, maybe my student was just a natural hunter.

At some point, I'm going to coach a friend of mine who has a little Let's Play channel on youtube in a very similar way. If that crashes and burns, I guess I'll know for sure it was all him, lol.

could be. Both of my friend were gun jumping like hell.

edit: that's cool. I'll have to find that on Youtube at one point if you plan on coaching him.

That Ludwig fight is so goddamn good! Doing it on my skill character, Whip MVP getting in all those visceral, but it's the music change in his second stage that just makes it all that more amazing.

I'm so glad the PS4 has the share function.

That Ludwig fight is so goddamn good! Doing it on my skill character, Whip MVP getting in all those visceral, but it's the music change in his second stage that just makes it all that more amazing.

Ludwig made me cry. I had to resort to using the NPC to help me... I didn't even know the summon sign was there for the first 30 attempts. :(

Ludwig made me cry. I had to resort to using the NPC to help me... I didn't even know the summon sign was there for the first 30 attempts. :(

He's hard in a game where most bosses gave you a little breathing room. Dude is relentless in horse mode and the arcane rift attack he uses is stupid big when he pulls out the sword. And using NPCs isn't a bad thing!

I just love the escalation and tone of that fight, frustrating though it was. I'll upload my video later tonight for funsies and so everyone can laugh at the number of whiff attacks I made.

neoemonk

What level are you? I started the DLC on NG+. There were times I had wished I hadn't (Ludwig) but I'm in the final area now and for the most part it hasn't been too bad. There was an initial shock getting used to the first zone and I absolutely struggled with the first boss but I acclimated.

What level are you? I started the DLC on NG+. There were times I had wished I hadn't (Ludwig) but I'm in the final area now and for the most part it hasn't been too bad. There was an initial shock getting used to the first zone and I absolutely struggled with the first boss but I acclimated.

I did a bit of grinding up to Level 175 throughout the course of the DLC (Also NG+). I stopped leveling after that and was fine.

Ludwig was by far the hardest in the game for me. There were others that gave me trouble, but nothing on the scale of ol' Ludwig.

Easily. He has a fantastic move set that covers all options. Medium rang attacks, close range, behind the back, far away, etc. Combine that with his speed and damage.

I think I'm at level 120 right now and I just got to the last area of the DLC.

You'll be fine. :p I was 132 by the time I beat the DLC on NG++. Just gotta persevere and do nearly perfect runs in the first few phases of boss fights.

Hey all, my buddy and I were co-oping this game successfully while we were at our respective houses. However, when we try to connect under the same roof/network we can't seem to play. Have you heard of any issues concerning this? It's really frustrating! I appreciate the mystique and the ritualistic nature of this game... But sometimes I just want things to work. Any tips?

Also, I just 100% the full main game (not chalice dungeons... yet) would you recommend the DLC? Seems like everyone is loving it.

edit: oh yeah, another weird thing is that when we attempt to summon one another, we can see each other's avatars in the ghost form in our own worlds... But we still can't connect.

On a hilarious note, I forgot to do Darkbeast Paarl until today (lv 85ish), I think I killed him in three or four swings of the cane followed by a visceral.

Also, I just 100% the full main game (not chalice dungeons... yet) would you recommend the DLC? Seems like everyone is loving it.

Weapons are great, bosses are great, locations are great. It's great, 20 bucks well spent.

rtcn63

Pros: It's more Bloodborne

Cons: It's not enough more Bloodborne

At worst, you're paying for the new weapons which you can use for NG+.

Timeaisis

90 or so. But I have a bit to go before Amekia. I also got a +10 cane, a +9 Ludwigs blade and around 37 skill, 30 end, 37 or so vit I think.

Novocaine

Made a new character because I wanted to try the Bowblade out. It's pretty sweet. Though I think I've done everything I can possibly do in this game now. Gonna go back and get those last few DS2 SotFS trophies I'm missing before 3 comes out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

My visceral strikes do 3333 damage with two Clawmark runes, but I still need to succesfully parry at least five times. It's hard to time it right, especially in the second phase. Too bad I can't yet open the Ailing Loran root chalice, where I could get a Clawmark rune with +30% increase for visceral strike.

IMO it would be much more beneficial for you to attempt not to visceral him, but to backstab him, since he has several attacks that jump over you and thus giving you a chance to do it. Quick weapons are necessary, obviously, so no weapons like Whirligig.

myco666

It's good but really short. I went through it in around 3 hours and didn't really think it was worth the cash. Tad pricey for so little content.

3 hours is way less than the average completion time. You can easily get 5 to 10 hours from this depending on your skill. Also it adds lot of new weapons to mess around with that will easily give you more hours if you like to replay the game.

neoemonk

It's good but really short. I went through it in around 3 hours and didn't really think it was worth the cash. Tad pricey for so little content.

Hahaha I spent at least 3 hours fighting Ludwig alone.

I've got nothing left to do but fight Orphan and Laurence so I'm taking turns bashing into one then the other for a while.

laxu

If you start a new game you have to play at least until Rom before the DLC is doable. In NG+ if you picked up all 3 Moon runes on your NG run you can level up really quickly by grinding Lecture Building 1st floor which is pretty quick to access anyway. Being able to make so many more blood echoes really helps.

I had a lot of fun playing the DLC on NG+. Sure it was tough but not impossible. It also helps if you've done the chalice dungeons as you can farm some good gems too.

Top Bottom