• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Could someone answer one question without any spoiling details... Does it have any effect on the DLC and its NPCs if you go past Rom (or any other main game pre-ending boss for that matter)? I ask because I left my character there just in case, but the Blood Chunks and gems you get past her would help.

I'm right before final boss in the normal game and did the DLC, nothing happens there or is referenced at all as far as I'm aware. It's really its own isolated thing it seems.

On a side note, man this Simon's Bowblade lets you cheese shit. I don't think there's any other ranged weapon, that lets you get this amount of damage for so little resources. I mean you can't amp it up with Bone Marrow Ash, but that doesn't even matter.

SRTtoZ

So I really like the Boom Hammer +10 so far, gemmed it up a bit and the running L2 slam is really useful. I got Amygdalas arm just now and the Gatling gun so it's going to suck trying to farm chunks for all these awesome weapons. But seriously, that fucking
Gatling gun
Hunter was brutal. Its not that he was so hard but its so tight to navigate that pathway and fight at the same time while hes gunning you down. FML.

Melchiah

I cannot say yes or no yet but I haven't heard or read one comment that would lead me to believe that it does impact the DLC. Go get those chunks.

Thanks. I'll probably try how it goes with the NPC hunters. Is it possible to take all of them from the area with you to the boss fight? I cleared the preceding Byrgenwerth grounds with their help, but for some reason I couldn't return to the dream while they were around, and Bold Hunter's Mark didn't work either. Had to kill myself by jumping down the ladder hole several times. :)

So my SL was like 140 or something dumb like that by the time I was finished with this game thanks to ramping up for a couple of the cheaper bosses in the chalice dungeons. My question is, would it even be worth playing the dlc at that level on NG+?

I can't be bothered to grind away again just to do the dlc but might bite if it's still fun at my level. My main concern is that since this is the fourth souls esque game I'm really getting into the swing of it thsee last few years and even a number of the bosses didn't cause me any real trouble other than a few who could counter my build well, and this was before the overlevelling in the chalice dungeons.

Still I loved the game despite that, but the fights that took a few tries are definitely the ones that I remember the fondest. I'm hoping there's still gonna be some of that to be had even at high levels. Usually getting to 60 wouldn't bother me but the backlog is just too damn big right now.

Soulflarz

Banned
CUnhixhUEAAN7Qd.jpg:large

soo...is that too many souls?

Melchiah

I'm right before final boss in the normal game and did the DLC, nothing happens there or is referenced at all as far as I'm aware. It's really its own isolated thing it seems.

On a side note, man this Simon's Bowblade lets you cheese shit. I don't think there's any other ranged weapon, that lets you get this amount of damage for so little resources. I mean you can't amp it up with Bone Marrow Ash, but that doesn't even matter.

Good to know. Damn, I can't wait to get to try the Bowblade. I wonder if it's even better than 10lvl Evelyn with BMA and 50lvl Blood Tinge?

Yikes, I'm having a lot of trouble with the first boss in NG+. I'm level 100 and using +9 Sword with a couple level 14 gems I found in the normal game (never bothered with Chalice Dungeons).

Just seems like I cannot consistently avoid his jump attack where blood drips from the ceiling, I've tried dodging, running, jumping all at different times, and it still seems like it's down to pure luck, and then I'm chunked for 60% of my Health. Closest I've ever been is 10% but I also completely ran out of Blood Vials. Most attempts I'm dead before phase 2.

There's no way I'm going to be able to kill L
udwig

NG++, level 160 or so. Everything up until this point was alright. Boss just has so much health, so much damage, and I can't dodge anything. Feels like
a faster, stronger Amelia

Optional boss
Lawrence's second form is straight up horseshit. How can you hit a boss when approaching from the front is suicide and you can't go in from the back because he has lava flowing out of his burning ring of fire.

Laws00

I don't think I have it in me to beat this dlc

I don't feel as engaged as I was once I beat the game, got all trophies/Platinum

hopefully it'll pass and i'll play it like I did demon, and dark souls while leaving it alone and coming back to it a few months later

Zemm

Yeah, it really depends on your level.

If you finished the main game around lvl.60-80, yeah you can get to the DLC in NG+ in an hour or two, but you'll need to spend [x] hours leveling to 120+ to do the DLC, Could be 5-10 hours worth of grind, not sure the quickest way to level up.
Otoh if you start a new character you need to get your character from lvl.1-60 & get to the end of the main game to get your weapon level up to do the DLC in NG and I'm sure that's gotta take at least 5-10 hours to get there.

So depending on your level and where you are it can require a good chunk of time to get to the DLC and be able to actually enjoy and do the DLC.

Exactly this, it's taken me 10 hours (atleast) to be DLC ready on a new character.

The DLC is some of the best out there, but it's implemented pretty poorly. Why is it even available after Amelia? I beat her at level 33, you stand no chance in the DLC at that level, so why even hint at going there?

ship it

finally get two people to join my game after 2 hours of waiting. boss 1 shots me first attack.

I really hate bloodbornes just sit and wait form of summoning.

Optional boss
Lawrence's second form is straight up horseshit. How can you hit a boss when approaching from the front is suicide and you can't go in from the back because he has lava flowing out of his burning ring of fire.

same way you do the first form, side strafing and staying somewhat close, well for me it was I hugged his right gimpy or non fat arm

except that rampage hand thing, i just backed all teh way up from that

Fisty

Optional boss

Totally agree, wasnt too bad until that point, after that he is an asshole. Ended up bringing a crew to mess him up bad

Akara

Banned
anyone know if lost, or uncanny is the best for a full arcane build (not fire or bolt) or should I just stick to normal

I'm curious what happens during the development of FromSoftware's DLC. It always seems like such a massive bump in difficulty from the base game. I'm not familiar with the original Dark Souls' DLS, or Demon's Souls', if it had any, but I could only ever complete the first DLC for Dark Souls II, because the rest was just so damn difficult for me.

It's not even the standard enemies though. It's the bosses. In fact, the standard enemies may be easier, with how often you get to riposte them. I might just have to make a new character or something and try this out in an standard difficulty, so I can at least experience the content I paid for.

Exactly this, it's taken me 10 hours (atleast) to be DLC ready on a new character.

The DLC is some of the best out there, but it's implemented pretty poorly. Why is it even available after Amelia? I beat her at level 33, you stand no chance in the DLC at that level, so why even hint at going there?

I genuinely believe that the DLC was designed and implemented for people on NG+. I cannot imagine attempting this DLC on my first playthrough. This is an endgame area and they're not pretending otherwise.

With that in mind, it's possible for Vicar Amelia to be the second boss. Meaning it is really quick for players to access the area if they are only playing NG+ to reach the new content. Considering where the DLC starts, it makes the most sense for it to begin at this point.

If this is your first time playing Bloodborne and you enter this area on NG, you're as good as dead. It exists as a constant for you to continually revisit in an attempt to make more progress. I could see myself periodically revisiting this area to see how far I can get.

hughesta

Banned
Gonna be picking this up very soon, and was about to start NG+2 with my character. Should I start a new one if I want to be challenged, or will the difficulty scale?

Saint9806

Started NG++ and got past Amelia Vicar in like 30 minutes. What a joke...
Started the Old Hunters and made it to the River of Blood. That first big dude at the cathedral hits like a brick! Loving being back on Bloodborne!

sn00zer

Hmmmm wonder what weapon I should level.....ah this one looks fun...hmmm not sure about this one...wait...THAT is a WEAPON?!

Well
MLGS
seems to be best Arcane weapon in the game. Easily better than anything main game has to offer.
FFuuuu....now is it better than Ludwig's though? I'm not sure if I should start a new game and go Arcane, or do the DLC on NG+ with my Ludwigs build....

Started NG++ and got past Amelia Vicar in like 30 minutes. What a joke...
Started the Old Hunters and made it to the River of Blood. That first big dude at the cathedral hits like a brick! Loving being back on Bloodborne!
I'm curious how the first boss of the DLC will treat you. What level are you?

ship it

anyone mind attempting to help me with
laurence
?

pass is bobb

or even just trying to connect to see if it works lol

Bebpo

Banned
I genuinely believe that the DLC was designed and implemented for people on NG+. I cannot imagine attempting this DLC on my first playthrough. This is an endgame area and they're not pretending otherwise.

With that in mind, it's possible for Vicar Amelia to be the second boss. Meaning it is really quick for players to access the area if they are only playing NG+ to reach the new content. Considering where the DLC starts, it makes the most sense for it to begin at this point.

If this is your first time playing Bloodborne and you enter this area on NG, you're as good as dead. It exists as a constant for you to continually revisit in an attempt to make more progress. I could see myself periodically revisiting this area to see how far I can get.

And yet it's not really designed for NG+ because of the boss HP scaling. It's designed for people either at the end of NG, or at the end of NG+, or at the end of NG++, etc... it's not designed for players starting out on any difficulty.

I'd honestly say the DLC was not made for people who've beat Bloodborne (which obviously makes no sense), but rather as a "director's cut" complete edition for new players as additional endgame content. If you're going through the game for the first time and you save it for the end like the other optional endgame areas, it's probably perfectly balanced.

Top Bottom