• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Yeesh I'm playing this DLC on my NG++ save file and getting completely rocked. Made it up to
Ludwig
and couldn't do jack shit to him.

Then I went a different way and fought that hunter
with the minigun in the cave
and I cant for the life of me get close to beating this asshole. Is there even any incentive to beating him?

Manu

Yeesh I'm playing this DLC on my NG++ save file and getting completely rocked. Made it up to
Ludwig

and I cant for the life of me get close to beating this asshole. Is there even any incentive to beating him?

The weapon he uses.

I haven't killed him myself yet either :(

Ludwig

He drops his gatling gun. Also further in the cave is a weapon.

The weapon he uses.

I haven't killed him myself yet either :(

He drops his gatling gun. Also further in the cave is a weapon.

Godamnit. He wouldnt be so hard if he didn't use blood vials. I tried fighting him conservatively by using the rock as a shield while hes shooting, then get a stab or two in and get behind the rock, but once he gets a shot in its almost over since hell 3-4 combo you. I also cant find his visceral weakpoint because its so damn dark in there. I cant seem to stagger him with regular strikes either. Gah

I actually ran in there past him to see what kind of loot was back there and picked up the one weapon and a bunch of the other items, but then I ran out and
Blood starved beast
was chasing me and I got stuck in the pathway :(

silva1991

I just can't beat the final boss and I'll have to accept that. what things will I be missing if I skip beating it?

how can I unlock the optional boss?

Haven't had much time to play yet (not even reached a boss). Want to go spoiler-free, but I have a couple questions:
1) The large, boss-ish monster resting where Vicar Amelia prayed (doing a Pieta impression)... should I attack it?
2) Are there any significant missables?
Thanks!

idonteven

Atleast the fume knight is slow and doesn't have an AOE that covers 90% of the map :/

what's ur level?

160 on ng++++

i made a huge mistake

and the dude doesnt give a fuck about the spin 2 win axe

man i did so good my first try and i only had to hit him ONCE but now i die when hes half hp

After consuming 1 vermin, speak with Valtr in the forbidden woods and he will give you the league staff (an item you use to view the leadboard) and a new gesture. After crushing a total of 5 vermin speak to him and he will say something about leaving, exit the game and reload and you'll find that he left his helmet where he used to stand. Once Valtr ia gone, you'll find an enemy hunter waiting for you outside. Kill him and he'll drop the madara whistle.
That is strange, that enemy hunter was already standing in front of the hut, when i warped to the lamp nearby to crush some vermin.
I had only crushed 1 vermin so far, and Valtr was still standing inside the hut.

Bug? Or is it possible to trigger the apperance of this hunter another way?

SoldnerKei

L
aurence
kicked my ass for almost an hour until I gave up out of frustration and went to to the Research thing area to explore more lol

like really, you have to be extra careful with him,
second phase is almost like cheating, oh you're circling me and you want to roll away? sorry you are steping on my lava, let me do a big sweep with my arms while you stagger and take 40% of you hp
I was about to kill him twice, just had to land a few strikes, but nope freaking
LAVA
this asshole is going down tonight /rant

other than that, I have been enjoying the dlc a lot, first boss, second phase, holy macarroni, research thing area is pretty interesting, gotta make my way throu to reach the fishing area, seems like that place is hard.

Just got to the first boss - Another boss fight ruined by shitty camera due to a huge enemy in a small room. Of all the Souls games this is the worst for this and I don't know why you think they would've learnt by now. (I never used lock-on btw)

Cool boss design and lore etc, etc. But it's another annoying huge boss with a running charge that would probably one shot you if you aren't leveling up VIT a lot. I got to the second part of the fight and then died immediately, lol. Feels like home.

BeeDog

Damn, people weren't kidding about the first boss being a total bitch. I'm on NG++ or +++ (can't recall), level 188, and I consider myself quite a good player. I at least managed to get him down to 20% on my third attempt before his AoE attack (
the one where he jams the sword into the ground and blasts everything in front of him
) decimated me. What helped in the second phase was to
keep close to him at all times and try to anticipate the directions he swings his sword from, and dodge into him.
Based on comments, I was afraid of him OHKO'ing me, but I could take a couple of swings. The jump-and-ground-pound is an insta-kill though.

Will attempt the fight one or two more time before calling it quits for today.

taoofjord

Ughhhh this game is still one of the greatest things ever. Loving what I've used of the new weapons so far. I love my Strength and Arcane build so far. Using items like the Augur of Ebrietas and the
Boom Hammer
is so much fun.

Zemm

Just got to the first boss - Another boss fight ruined by shitty camera due to a huge enemy in a small room. Of all the Souls games this is the worst for this and I don't know why you think they would've learnt by now. (I never used lock-on btw)

Cool boss design and lore etc, etc. But it's another annoying huge boss with a running charge that would probably one shot you if you aren't leveling up VIT a lot. I got to the second part of the fight and then died immediately, lol. Feels like home.

The large boss + small room combo always feels cheap in these games. Those are the least fun ones, probably why I think bosses like Artorias, O&S etc are the best in the series. It feels like you're fighting the camera more than the boss.

myco666

I just can't beat the final boss and I'll have to accept that. what things will I be missing if I skip beating it?

how can I unlock the optional boss?

You
miss on fantastic/stupid weapon and a cutscene.

Get the skull from where the elevator to Research Hall is. Go from the Ludwig boss arena. Then just visit the flaming CB.

Damn. You're better than me and still getting rocked...I'm fucked.

Fhtagn

what's wrong with red summon signs? The old hunter npcs summon, I can't summon them half of the time.

if you have already used the beckoning bell, the game might be reserving a slot for another player; silence the search and try the NPC again.

if that's not what's happening, dunno, but I def saw someone use the silencer last night in order to summon the NPC after I was already in their game.

People are always advising "don't use lock on" but I almost always use lock on except for very specific tasks and I had almost zero problem with the camera in this fight. I can imagine it being a ton worse without the lock on. The room is pretty big, imho!

Only trophy left to get is the optional boss one. Might just co-op it. I only tried once, camera went full retard and it 2 shot me..... Yeah no thanks.

I have now got abeasthunter saif +10 which is awesome and bowblade +9 as its kinda novel. Also that awesome harrowed set.

So all in all I'd say its a really good DLC. 2 bosses have way to much HP and optional boss can jumo off a cliff (and prob also has too much health) but everything else is fantastic.

Xeilyn

Wow the new moveset for b
east
c
law
with the beast rune is awsome. Too bad the face looks really bad

Haven't had much time to play yet (not even reached a boss). Want to go spoiler-free, but I have a couple questions:
1) The large, boss-ish monster resting where Vicar Amelia prayed (doing a Pieta impression)... should I attack it?
2) Are there any significant missables?
Thanks!

1) Attacking them won't do anything.
You need to obtain a special item to trigger a boss fight.
2) There's some new NPCs that can be killed, but the full extent of their quest lines are still a mystery...

Made a new character and apparently level 44 is not the right level for the expansion.

Honestly that's the level I started at. It's tough but winnable, the big thing is being able to deal the damage. If you can kill the Hunters at the start, farm them for a bit and try to get Blood Gems from them. They drop good ones that helped me make it through. I was able to kill three of the bosses and the stupid double shark duo to get the weapon I wanted which is way far into the DLC.

Grisby

On my phone right now and the front page is taking too long to load, but what's the size of the download? There's no disc editon in the US right?

Wagram

that guys shits all over fume knight

prolly died like 30 times by now to him

O
rphan
of K
os
? To each their own I suppose. I found him a joke compared to Fume Knight. It was 3 tries vs probably 20. Keep in mind i've only fought Champions Fume Knight solo.

So all in all I'd say its a really good DLC. 2 bosses have way to much HP and optional boss can jumo off a cliff (and prob also has too much health) but everything else is fantastic.

They really don't. You have 20+ vials for a reason. Use them.

myco666

Did they do something to weapon durability? My weapons keep breaking down and I do not remember it being like this.

I haven't noticed this but keep in mind that everytime you upgrade your weapon it repairs so if your earlier experience has been with NG it might be that. Also check your gems.

People are always advising "don't use lock on" but I almost always use lock on except for very specific tasks and I had almost zero problem with the camera in this fight. I can imagine it being a ton worse without the lock on. The room is pretty big, imho!
I just said about lock-on because if I didn't someone was bound to say "don't use lock on wahhhhh!" so I thought I'd get it in off the bat that I didn't!

This boss room not the worst the room is a bit bigger than it looks at first I admit. But right off the bat I was getting camera BS. I think they changed something in BB where the camera stays hung on larger enemies where as this rarely happened in previous games and often on the same places (I can think of walking away from Frampt towards the bonfire in DS1), but it happens a lot in BB, it feels like they changed something and I don't think for the better.

Top Bottom