• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

So, I wanted to farm some souls for my Ng+ character to level up my strength.
the saw
has an A scale.

The "normal" game is so damn easy compared to the DLC, it's not even funny. Every boss first try. I'm running through this game. This doesn't make any sense. The difficulty of the DLC is fucked up (imo!).

This is why I'm enjoying it so much. Having to parry hunters in the first area at least 2 times makes it very challenging. My 10+ axe R2 "spin to win" also feels like I'm playing with a wooden stick.

Hanmik

Man... Those 2 giant fish are harder than the 3 boss I took down lol
Can't even parry

I can help you, hope I won't have lags like yesterday tho

there is a "simple" trick to those guys in the well. Use the Shaman Bone to make them attack each other.. ;o)

or don´t go down the well. Go through the tunnels at the end. Go past those singing ladies. Then you can jumpe down the ledge to attack them. Every time I did that, I only fought one of the Big bastards, the other stuck to the loft, he drops down much later if you go through that way.. but I'm not 100% sure that is true, just seemed so for me.

Facism

Why am I not getting my insight back after cancelling the beckoning bell? Co-op in the dlc thus far has been horrible

Manu

Bosses 2 and 3
Living Failures and Maria
were considerably easier than
Ludwig
, almost disappointingly so. They both went down in three tries.

Once you figure out
everything Maria does is telegraphed and can be parried
, the fight is basically over.

I still loved the fights because of their lore implications though.

there is a "simple" trick to those guys in the well. Use the Shaman Bone to make them attack each other.. ;o)

or don´t go down the well. Go through the tunnels at the end. Go past those singing ladies. Then you can jumpe down the ledge to attack them. Every time I did that, I only fought one of the Big bastards, the other stuck to the loft, he drops down much later if you go through that way.. but I'm not 100% sure that is true, just seemed so for me.

Shaman Bone ? I don't have that :eek:
I'll try the jump tip.

Perfect!

Meet me at the boss gate now.

Password: gaf

PSNID: ThePraiseworthy

Much appreciated :)

I'm here, rang my bell ~~

myco666

So, I wanted to farm some souls for my Ng+ character to level up my strength.
the saw
has an A scale.

The "normal" game is so damn easy compared to the DLC, it's not even funny. Every boss first try. I'm running through this game. This doesn't make any sense. The difficulty of the DLC is fucked up (imo!).

Difficulty of the DLC is all over the place. Some enemies have insane amounts of HP while others have pretty standard amount. Then they pretty much out damage anything on the main game. I really don't get what level this is supposed to be balanced on.

Manu

Difficulty of the DLC is all over the place. Some enemies have insane amounts of HP while others have pretty standard amount. Then they pretty much out damage anything on the main game. I really don't get what level this is supposed to be balanced on.

I have a friend who's breezing through the DLC on NG+++ at level 202.

He literally asked me why was everyone complaining about difficulty since he killed
the Gatling Gun hunter and Ludwig
without breaking a sweat.

cheesekao

He literally asked me why was everyone complaining about difficulty since he killed
I would assume he's proficient at the art of 'being gud'

BumRush

Some people are just really good though lol

I'd say do not play the DLC in NG over level 100 with good gems. I managed to take down all the bosses on my first try and only died twice to normal enemies.

You're a much better player than I am. I'm like lvl 164 in NG and I still die somewhat frequently. My stats are kinda all over the place though bc I played around with lots of weapons.

Hanmik

in the review notes I got, From said the recommended level was 65 (in standard game not +), for a standard player. That is the level for when to start the DLC.

Summoned on forth boss. Consistently got to last 15% health but got bored lol. So 1st and forth bosses I summoned. Second the third I did on second attempt solo. The amount of health boss 1 & 4 have is a tad silly. It's my only issue with either fight. 25% less health and it would be balanced with rest of game. As it is it feels its designed for people who have done chalice dungeans and for awesome gems.

Sony recommends level 65 in the press material they sent out according to DaveControlLive

myco666

Didn't Dawg also breeze through the DLC on NG+++ aside from the last boss and the optional boss?

in the review notes I got, From said the recommended level was 65 (in standard game not +), for a standard player. That is the level for when to start the DLC.

65 is not the recommended level. 65 is what you should atleast be so it is the minimium level recommendation. Or atleast that is how I've understood it.

MeanArrow

Neo Member
Beat
The Living Failures by just shooting Simon's Bow. Not the most effective weapon ever, but still pretty fun to use.

Gbraga

These impressions are scaring me.

What are the odds From nerf the bosses later on? I hope they dont.

There are precedents with Capra Demon, Lost Sinner and Shrine of Amana, so it's very possible.

Still didn't fight a single boss in the DLC, but from what I've been reading, sounds like an HP nerf for one of the bosses would be welcomed even by people who didn't have trouble with it.

Bastos

Okay i gotta call it a night, O
rphan
of K
osm
has been blowing me away in NG+7 for about 3 and a half hours now.
Getting my ass kicked hard here too and I'm only NG++++.

Really don't know what to do since some of his moves just oneshots me. God damn, I really don't want to start a new character now. >.>

Level 65 seems fine for the first area but once you encounter the first boss....nope. From that fight and beyond, you should probably be a much higher level. Unless of course, you were able to git gud much quicker than the rest of us.

Gbraga

Damn, the
Gatling Gun hunter
killed me three times before I could take him out with the Blade of Mercy, also on NG+3. I'm level 130 something, but I have 50 VIT (I think), so it shouldn't matter. He's just good, I guess.

Level 65 seems fine for the first area but once you encounter the first boss....nope. From that fight and beyond, you should probably be a much higher level. Unless of course, you were able to git gud much quicker than the rest of us.

Judging by the amount of Twin Shards in the first area, it's quite possible they balanced it around starting it the moment you can access it, but then getting out and coming back later to finish it.

Im playing on NG++. HP nerf for the bossed would be welcomed. They are not quite in line with the rest of the Bloodborne enemies / bosses.
On NG++ the game is quite hard, but fair. The bosses have to much HP though.

There are precedents with Capra Demon, Lost Sinner and Shrine of Amana, so it's very possible.

Still didn't fight a single boss in the DLC, but from what I've been reading, sounds like an HP nerf for one of the bosses would be welcomed even by people who didn't have trouble with it.

Honestly the balancing seems weird. The bosses have the health of end-game bosses from the main game (or more), but the amount of souls they give is ~mid-game boss level. I have a feeling they'll get an HP nerf.

myco666

You get stupid amounts of echoes in the DLC though if you kill all enemies so leveling up from 65 to 70+ is really easy. I guess the first boss is supposed to be for lvl70-80 on NG?

Judging by the amount of Twin Shards in the first area, it's quite possible they balanced it around starting it the moment you can access it, but then getting out and coming back later to finish it.

Yeah, that seems to be the case.

You get stupid amounts of echoes in the DLC though if you kill all enemies so leveling up from 65 to 70+ is really easy. I guess the first boss is supposed to be for lvl70-80 on NG?

Yeah, 80 might be a good level to be at for the first fight. I do agree with others that these bosses may have a bit too much HP though.

Hybrid897

Finally beat last boss. Coming into the dlc at sl 35 probably wasn't the best idea, finished all the new content and I'm sl 64; took around 12 hours for me. Time to try out all the new weapons!

Major spoilers incoming!

The carcass of Kos has a human face O_O, also anyone got an idea as to the overaching plot?.

What I currently think is that Kos washed up on shore pregnant and messed the town up. The church found out, sent the first hunters and experimented on the townsfolk ( as per the accursed brew). The townsfolk worshiped Kos/orphan as a god pleaded for help/revenge against the hunters Kos/orphan obliged ( they are sympathetic after all) and cursed the hunters and all their successors to endlessly wander the nightmare after death.

I assume the shadow is some ethereal form of the orphan? Killing it finally ends the nightmare as we killed Mergo.

"The sky and the cosmos are one" did Micolash mean it literally? The nightmare's sky is connected to the sea and that is where Kos hung out.

I'm still not sure why Gherman is happy about another great ones death? I thought he was a puppet for the moon presence which wanted Mergo dead during the main campaign. Does the Moon presence want no great ones to have a child? Or did Gherman originally commune with the moon presence asking it for help against other great ones? :/

So many questions as per usual, will take awhile for me to wrap my head around.

Finally beat last boss. Coming into the dlc at sl 35 probably wasn't the best idea, finished all the new content and I'm sl 64; took around 12 hours for me. Time to try out all the new weapons!

Major spoilers incoming!

The carcass of Kos has a human face O_O, also anyone got an idea as to the overaching plot?.

What I currently think is that Kos washed up on shore pregnant and messed the town up. The church found out, sent the first hunters and experimented on the townsfolk ( as per the accursed brew). The townsfolk worshiped Kos/orphan as a god pleaded for help/revenge against the hunters Kos/orphan obliged ( they are sympathetic after all) and cursed the hunters and all their successors to endlessly wander the nightmare after death.

I assume the shadow is some ethereal form of the orphan? Killing it finally ends the nightmare as we killed Mergo.

"The sky and the cosmos are one" did Micolash mean it literally? The nightmare's sky is connected to the sea and that is where Kos hung out.

I'm still not sure why Gherman is happy about another great ones death? I thought he was a puppet for the moon presence which wanted Mergo dead during the main campaign. Does the Moon presence want no great ones to have a child? Or did Gherman originally commune with the moon presence asking it for help against other great ones? :/

Damn level 64?!? I'm impressed man, good work.

myco666

Major spoilers incoming!

lvl64? Wow! What are your stats like?

Honestly the balancing seems weird. The bosses have the health of end-game bosses from the main game (or more), but the amount of souls they give is ~mid-game boss level. I have a feeling they'll get an HP nerf.

Even though I think 2 of the 4 bosses I have faced (not bothered with optional one yet) I don't think they need to nerf it. Just be clear who its aimed at.

If you can't be bothered to solo it over and over till you get it (like my self lol) just co-op it. Or do the chalice dungeons to get the OP gems and do more damage. I don't like chalice dungeons though.

I think it would just be better to be more clear who its aimed at. To say recommended lvl is 65 is really out of balance with the rest of the game.

Oh and also a question to those that beat final boss:

is that cut scene after you punch the black spirit thing on kos orphan corpse the actual ending, because.... What???

Even though I think 2 of the 4 bosses I have faced (not bothered with optional one yet) I don't think they need to nerf it. Just be clear who its aimed at.

If you can't be bothered to solo it over and over till you get it (like my self lol) just co-op it. Or do the chalice dungeons to get the OP gems and do more damage. I don't like chalice dungeons though.

I think it would just be better to be more clear who its aimed at. To say recommended lvl is 65 is really out of balance with the rest of the game.

Oh and also a question to those that beat final boss:

is that cut scene after you punch the black spirit thing on kos orphan corpse the actual ending, because.... What???

Yes exactly WTF

JimPanzer

Major spoilers incoming!

64 at the end? I've tried the beginnign at 50 and just noped out. Gonna try again at 70ish.

Hybrid897

lvl64? Wow! What are your stats like?

31 vit
20 end
30 str
10 skl
8 bt
6 arc

Used the hunters axe at +5 untill I got Whirligig.

Last boss
orphan of Kos took ages and his moveset even at the end seemed a little unpredictable he could cancel two of his combos into other moves which made dodging a pain. Think it was his whirlwind swirl? cancels into a forward smash that would one shot me if it was a counter hit D:

Friends: I'm in the
Research Hall
and stepped onto the balcony where I thought I was ambushing an enemy. When it died, it becomes clear it was
tending to a sunflower

It doesn't respawn, which makes me nervous. It wasn't an NPC, was it?

Ludwig
could probably use a bit of a health nerf. For a first boss, even on NG, with a +9 or 10 weapon and 40+ in your main scaling stat, he can take just a bit too much punishment IMO. I think the HP for the other bosses is pretty well balanced, though the last boss' health pool feels a bit deep if you
aren't parrying

Enemies' damage in the DLC is also very high for the most part. This isn't a bad thing in itself, but I haven't really found it comfortable to play without completing almost everything in the main game first to level up. Unless you're extremely good at the game, I see very little reason to attempt the DLC early aside from bum rushing the new weapons attainable before the first boss. I almost wouldn't mind rebalancing the DLC to be at least a bit easier to encourage jumping in earlier into the game. But it's also close to perfect as is if it's treated as true end game content.

Finished the DLC earlier today. Boss attempt counts (fought on NG with +9 Burial Blade and 45ish vit/50 skill, also abbreviating names in case my post is quoted):

L, THB - 3
LF - 1
LM - 1
OoK - 10ish
L, TFV - 10ish

Neoweee

I don't really think so. An initial run should only be to grab all of those weapons, armor, chunks, and shards before the first boss, because actually killing stuff is time consuming and the soul income is poor. Enemies have huge HP pools relative to everything else in the main game, and you need highly upgraded weapons to do anything remotely efficiently.

My suggestion for new characters:
1) Do Old Yharnam, Gaol, and Hemwick before starting the DLC, and maybe even Forbidden Woods. Tonitrus is the best way to cheat having a low level.
1B) At any point during that, you can run into the DLC and start looting it, but mostly avoid enemies and their absurd health pools.
2) Actually try to progress through the DLC, especially all them Chunks
3) Leave and kill Rom and parts of Yahar'gul or endgame stuff? It's all so quick with the early chunks the DLC gives you.
4) Return to the DLC when you have the +8 or +9 weapons and a bunch of good Runes (like the one from the guy in Byrgenwerth that increases the drop rate).
5) Farm the first rooms of the DLC with the increased drop rates. They drop better runs than typically drop outside of Chalice Dungeons.
6) Once ready, kill the first boss.

The early section of the DLC simply does not give enough Echoes to make entering and staying in the DLC feasible. It is balanced the same way that Dark Souls 2 DLC and the Chalice Dungeons were, in that regard, and I guess the Echo income gets better once the boss is out of the way?

Yeah the start is really hard with low damage, all the enemy hunters felt like mini bosses.

Once the DLC areas started giving chunks it was manageable.

Yeah, that's been my experience. The early Hunters are completely insane if you enter early, as you don't have the HP to take hits, or power/stamina to combo them to death, even with the balancetrus. Their HP is completely out of line with mere +3 or +4 weapons that you would have from entering ASAP.

Those people are just whining, on waste of skin i still do tons of damage and i don't have chalice dungeon gems in.
You need to bare in mind the majority of casual ( do not mean this offensively) players think leveling is an essential part of the game and rely on their unneeded stats....in contrast more skilled players just breeze through defiled chalice,because if your not planning on getting hit 50% hp doesnt matter to you.

The dlc is about the same difficulty as AoTA, but in bloodborne that difficulty is much harder for many players on the first boss especially, you don't have any shield and you cant use cheap parrying to win, for the first time in along time mandatory content says "git gud".

Fuck
Kos's
second phase.

can't beat the fucker.

Usually i'd offer some advice, but the best i can give right now is focus on learning phase 1, so you can use 20 blood vials in phase 2 :p

Top Bottom