• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Ophelion

I don't know if it's because I haven't been sleeping great this week or if it's because my DLC character is one that is using a weapon I have slightly less experience with, but I'm just getting slaughtered by the first boss. Doesn't help that his first form is like the worst parts of Amelia and Ebrietas combined, two bosses my brain just refuses to wrap itself around for some reason. I spent all last night patiently running from the nearest lamp to the fight to die and learn just a little bit more. I must've died at least 20 times by now. I blazed through the content up to this point, so this roadblock is definitely surprising.

That said, I do enjoy the fight. My mood in the fight reminds me a lot of the first time I crossed swords with the Lost Sinner in Dark Souls 2: Died over and over, but enjoyed the battle so much it didn't make me mad at all. I will be overjoyed when I finally bring this guy down, but also a little sad because the duel will finally be over.

Carcetti

Honestly that's the level I started at. It's tough but winnable, the big thing is being able to deal the damage. If you can kill the Hunters at the start, farm them for a bit and try to get Blood Gems from them. They drop good ones that helped me make it through. I was able to kill three of the bosses and the stupid double shark duo to get the weapon I wanted which is way far into the DLC.

Yeah, I killed couple of the hunters at the start (trying arcane build with fire ludwig's) and it's just taking so long per hunter that it doesn't feel a good use of my time. I'll probably hop to do Shadows and maybe Rom just so I can get some more bloods fast.

zma1013

I haven't noticed this but keep in mind that everytime you upgrade your weapon it repairs so if your earlier experience has been with NG it might be that. Also check your gems.

I'm on NG++ and I've been through all the chalice dungeons with a fully upgraded weapon and I've never had weapons break clearing any of the areas like they are now. It's not just in the DLC area but the vanilla areas too.

Ophelion

Yeah, I killed couple of the hunters at the start (trying arcane build with fire ludwig's) and it's just taking so long per hunter that it doesn't feel a good use of my time. I'll probably hop to do Shadows and maybe Rom just so I can get some more bloods fast.

I jumped in after Rom and it was challenging, but doable. Well, up to getting to the boss anyway. But I covered that in my post above. I just suck at him.

Finalow

doing the DLC in ng+, the first boss was great. and HARD, I have a bloodtinge build and I was barely doing any damage.

if you have already used the beckoning bell, the game might be reserving a slot for another player; silence the search and try the NPC again.

if that's not what's happening, dunno, but I def saw someone use the silencer last night in order to summon the NPC after I was already in their game.
didn't work even if I did that, had to exit the game. wasn't even the first time

Patapwn

Is there a trick to the first boss? I'm NG+ an Lv 115. My damage output is jack shit and I'm dying and it's pathetic. What's a good level?

myco666

I'm on NG++ and I've been through all the chalice dungeons with a fully upgraded weapon and I've never had weapons break clearing any of the areas like they are now. It's not just in the DLC area but the vanilla areas too.

Weird. I am repairing my stuff all the time though so that is why I haven't noticed them breaking easily.

edit.
Is there a trick to the first boss? I'm NG+ an Lv 115. My damage output is jack shit and I'm dying and it's pathetic. What's a good level?

Get Vit and your damage stat up to 50 and get some good gems. +20% more or less a must.

vilmer_

I went into this first area/boss in NG+ at level 111 and it was an absolute shit show :lol

Right now I'm just farming echoes in the 2nd Floor Lecture Building. I'm up to 125 now but I don't even think that's enough tbh.

Nazo

Finally beat
Laurence
. It really REALLY helps to not lock-on for that fight. It makes his moves way easier to see. His second form is really annoying but you can cheese it if you keep your distance and bait out his fire breath and his single arm swing from his small arm. I also don't recommend using the Blades of Mercy for this fight like I did. Its short range can be detrimental. He's easily the hardest boss in the game now, he makes Ebrietas look like a cake walk.

Manu

I can't play again until tonight, but I was just thinking. Location spoilers: Anyone else disappointed with
how the research building looked with the addition of the green lamps? They weren't in any of the pre-release trailers and made it look worse than the original reveal imo.

polychron

I feel like a right idiot, just tried to help people with the 3rd boss, got summoned, imediately got 1-combo KO'd by the boss. I'm not normally this bad, honest...

Mandelbo

So I'm in the F
ishing Hamlet
... Can someone tell me where the blood rock is? I remember reading that it's near the start of the area, but I can't find it - these
huge fish men
are just too much for me to handle!

So the attack that
Ludwig
does which covers the entire boss room, there's a safe spot from that? lol I thought I was safe being on the complete opposite end of the boss room - NOPE!

Wagram

I was at 109 when I beat him. He's definitely one of the most challenging bosses in the entire game so don't be suprised dying to him a lot. You really have to focus on his attacks. What's your strength? Mine was in the low 40s when I was in that fight. It's a longer fight so expect to use all of your blood vials.

So I'm in the F
ishing Hamlet
... Can someone tell me where the blood rock is? I remember reading that it's near the start of the area, but I can't find it - these
huge fish men

It's towards the end of that area. There's a path that leads to the final boss and a path that diverges from it to the blood rock.

So the attack that
Ludwig
does which covers the entire boss room, there's a safe spot from that? lol I thought I was safe being on the complete opposite end of the boss room - NOPE!

Assuming you're talking about the really large
charged sword attack? Keep strafing left or right the entire time he does it and then dodge when it comes down. You'll only take a little damage.

mellow

boy o boy is the optional boss something else

got him down to about 1/10th with a summon

the second phase ruined me, couldn't get close

finally took the two shark creatures down that protect the
rakuyo

I probably struggled against them the most ironically enough

now I have to decide if I should +10 the moonlight greatsword or the whirl saw

decisions

idonteven

Finally beat
Laurence
. It really REALLY helps to not lock-on for that fight. It makes his moves way easier to see. His second form is really annoying but you can cheese it if you keep your distance and bait out his fire breath and his single arm swing from his small arm. I also don't recommend using the Blades of Mercy for this fight like I did. Its short range can be detrimental. He's easily the hardest boss in the game now, he makes Ebrietas look like a cake walk.

see this game is weird because i had no trouble with ebrietas but damn i keep dieng on this one

Arjen

So I'm in the F
ishing Hamlet
huge fish men

It's at the end of the area,just past some old friends.

myco666

O
rphan
of K
os
? To each their own I suppose. I found him a joke compared to Fume Knight. It was 3 tries vs probably 20. Keep in mind i've only fought Champions Fume Knight solo.

They really don't. You have 20+ vials for a reason. Use them.

I get it. your awesome. and i did use them and it wasnt enough because im worse than you. however if you look at their health pools compared to all other bosses in the game they are way bigger. So yeah, I still think those bosses health pools are larger than makes sense. its not impossible, it just feels out of place with the rest of the game. Its fine though, being able to summon is there for a reason. I would have to go through all the chalice dungeons to get gems that would give me the damage output to make them all seem like they have a reasonable amount of health. no other boss in the main game has health like those.

I dont care if they ever nerf it or not. Its just my opinion they have more health than seems fitting with the rest of the game.

Dynedom

Restarted with a Cruel Fate character fresh. Hunter Axe. Holy hell this thing is OP as fuck. Makes my decision to Cane it up on my first playthrough insanely dumb in hindsight (although the fashion souls is lacking).

That 14 starting arcane should help me with the Bowblade and true blue.

got him down to about 1/10th with a summon

the second phase ruined me, couldn't get close

finally took the two shark creatures down that protect the
rakuyo

I probably struggled against them the most ironically enough

now I have to decide if I should +10 the moonlight greatsword or the whirl saw

decisions
Whirlwig Saw, just do it.

I feel like I'm just mowing the lawn with this thing, I love it lol.

Wagram

I get it. your awesome. and i did use them and it wasnt enough because im worse than you. however if you look at their health pools compared to all other bosses in the game they are way bigger. So yeah, I still think those bosses health pools are larger than makes sense. its not impossible, it just feels out of place with the rest of the game. Its fine though, being able to summon is there for a reason. I would have to go through all the chalice dungeons to get gems that would give me the damage output to make them all seem like they have a reasonable amount of health. no other boss in the main game has health like those.

I dont care if they ever nerf it or not. Its just my opinion they have more health than seems fitting with the rest of the game.

I'm actually not that great at these. I die a lot on bosses sometimes that people don't struggle on. The problem with Bloodborne (base) is that they are too lenient with bosses considering the amount of resources they hand the player. You don't need 20 blood vials for hardly any boss in vanilla outside of chalice dungeons. The boss HP seems right now, luckily they did add more options for co-op if people struggle.

L
udwig
down, fourth try. I think it took me that long to see all his moves a couple of times each at least so not too bad. He actually went down pretty fast and I can see him being a pretty easy/quick boss on repeat plays.

It's nice of them (and classic From I guess) to put a bunch of easy kill enemies right before the boss room that drop a ton of vials and bullets. Actually a really quick farming spot.

Beat the final boss with no vials left and a sliver of health. I think its the most challenging boss in the game. But its full of so much BS.
Time to make an Arcane Build so i can fully praise the moon with a holy blade.

I'm actually not that great at these. I die a lot on bosses sometimes that people don't struggle on. The problem with Bloodborne (base) is that they are too lenient with bosses considering the amount of resources they hand the player. You don't need 20 blood vials for hardly any boss in vanilla outside of chalice dungeons. The boss HP seems right, luckily they did add more options for co-op if people struggle.

I wonder what set ups peopkle are using. i bet a lot of people have good set ups from doing chalice duneons and the save file trick to get all three endings but never moving to ng+

The videos i watch people are doing like 400+ damage a bit. my dude who has done all main game but no chalice dungeons was doing about way way less than that with a +10 weapon with 2 12% ish gems and another less powerful gem. best I have one me. so yeah.... doing that much more damage is the same as them having less health.

without seeing peoples set ups before they fight the bosses its hard to say.

I totally missed out on two items from the DLC because I thought I was done with an NPC and killed it lol...The dialogue made it seem like there was nothing more to give. oh well they're not items I really wanted asap anyways.

Still need to beat the optional boss, I almost got it halfway, I'm getting used to it now.

Also uploading the video of my fight with the final boss, it's worth watching for the few EXTREMELY close calls and the ending lol, it'll be up in about an hour (curse slow upload speeds).

demonkaze

So like an idiot I my download for the expansion is the EU version but my copy of bloodborne is the NA version. If I get the NA version, will I have to redownload the expansion too?

silva1991

I just beat the final boss.! I will never fight it again on NG++++ and beyond. good thing my arcane character is at NG++ only.

should I kill the guy in the prison with
the beast hide
? what if I don't kill him?

You
miss on fantastic/stupid weapon and a cutscene.

Get the skull from where the elevator to Research Hall is. Go from the Ludwig boss arena. Then just visit the flaming CB.

an elevator from a different area to the
research hall
? I only know about elevators to the right and one takes me closer to the second boss!! I'm lost here.

So like an idiot I my download for the expansion is the EU version but my copy of bloodborne is the NA version. If I get the NA version, will I have to redownload the expansion too?
Well the actual expansion content is actually part of the latest update for the base game, so yeah most likely.

myco666

I just beat the final boss.! I will never fight it again on NG++++ and beyond. good thing my arcane character is at NG++ only.

should I kill the guy in the prison with
the beast hide
? what if I don't kill him?

an elevator from a different area to the
research hall
? I only know about elevators to the right and one takes me closer to the second boss!! I'm lost here.

The place that had two hunters in church garbs after the prison hallway. There was the elevator you used to get to research hall. Now the altar has changed and it has the skull. Also if you go down from there you get new weapon.

I've been trying to buy this (and the latest Rocksmith DLC) since first thing this morning on the PSN store (UK). However, when I try to pay for it, i keep getting an 'unexpected error' message - anyone else have EU PSN store troubles?

Neoweee

Restarted with a Cruel Fate character fresh. Hunter Axe. Holy hell this thing is OP as fuck. Makes my decision to Cane it up on my first playthrough insanely dumb in hindsight (although the fashion souls is lacking).

That 14 starting arcane should help me with the Bowblade and true blue.

Cane is the best starting weapon. No, it doesn't have the badass spin move, but the whip's range and stamina usage is essentially an exploit against the enemy AI, as it hits enemies before they switch to their melee AI behavior. Quick, too. Melee caning is also fantastic combo of stun, damage, and stamina usage.

Kaibutsu

Haven't had much time to play yet (not even reached a boss). Want to go spoiler-free, but I have a couple questions:
1) The large, boss-ish monster resting where Vicar Amelia prayed (doing a Pieta impression)... should I attack it?

You can't attack it, at least not with your weapon from what I can I see. I ran up and tried to whack at it. There is an item you get from walking up to it and pressing the X button though.

Top Bottom