• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Wagram

These boss fights are well designed and all their high damage attacks are easily avoidable (except for OoK)

Are you talking about the
Lightning AoE arena attack? If so that's avoidable. The lightning damage is proximity based I believe. I ran the hell away from it not even thinking about OoK and it wouldn't hit me even with the animation at the end coming through my body.

Its amazing how from constantly 1 up themselves with bosses, i thought id be disappointed with the bosses after the ds3 beta boss, but nope boss#1 anime as fuck, boss#3
lady vergil
, boss #3 we ninja gaiden now

Kyuur

Trying to avoid spoilers so skipped over the rest of the thread, apologies if this has been discussed even recently!

Started a new character for the DLC, attempted right after Amelia and again after the witches skipped Old Yharnam) but the mobs (hunters) seem a bit too strong and I've barely entered the area. The
whipsword
guys are manageable but I quickly run out of bullets having to parry 3 or 4 times per enemy, and the
Powder Keg? flamey
guy wrecked me. Going to try getting up to Rom / maybe doing Nightmare Frontier and then re-enter. That should bring me up Lv60-80 I think.

Anyone else here doing a new game run, what level are you if you're playing the DLC?

I had the same reaction. Really didn't expect that to happen.

Now that is some cool shit.

It's more, what the fuck do I do.
fire everywhere behind him. Million swipe combo in front. Fire aoe with every attack. Camera acting like a bitch lol

No one available to summon. Most prob waiting to summon someone haha.

Ferr986

Ok, decided to keep going and reached the 4th boss. LMAO.

I mean, I got to his 2nd phase first time but I was already very low on vials and then dude combo'ed me like this was Street Fighter.

Gonna leave it to tomorrow, I need a rest. I have to do the well too.

Mendrox

Are you talking about the
Lightning AoE arena attack? If so that's avoidable. The lightning damage is proximity based I believe. I ran the hell away from it not even thinking about OoK and it wouldn't hit me even with the animation at the end coming through my body.

I didn't say that it was unavoidable, just that this one was a bit harder. But yes, I mean this attack of his. It just comes out a bit of nowhere and he is way to aggressive to keep yourself calm lol

BruceCLea

Banned
It seems like that you just played too much of it. These bosses are not way harder than all the other ones in the game except for one...but it is supposed to be challenge so be it? I am level 105 on NG+ and killed everything with a few tries. Most fights were 5-7 minutes which is okay and pumps me up. These boss fights are well designed and all their high damage attacks are easily avoidable (except for OoK). First boss jumps into the air? Count down to 3 and dodge - avoided. First boss charges his ultimate attack for a few seconds? Wait a bit and run towards him - he glitches and misses every time. He swings left? Dodge to the left and into him. Right? The same just right. Second phase where he uses magic? Easy side dodges - easy stun lock for him (he is weak from his behind, you can get more than 3 viscal attacks) And this is just an example for the first boss. It's just pattern learning like every damn boss in these games.

Yes DLC is NG+ too of course. Father Gascoigne was always summonable there, but most people miss that cause they don't understand insight.

Ok great. The DLC opens after I kill Vicar Amelia again right?

myco666

It's more, what the fuck do I do.
fire everywhere behind him. Million swipe combo in front. Fire aoe with every attack. Camera acting like a bitch lol

No one available to summon. Most prob waiting to summon someone haha.

Here is a video of my run. It seems that
if you keep on his left side he keeps moving in circles and you don't even really have to worry about anything during that.

Murkas

All this time tryna beat
OoK
;__; I get to usually 1/4 hp left before I'm outta vials and get fkd.

Fuck that guy, got him to 1% twice and it just goes to shit.

I've burnt through my entire of stash of bullets on vials on this guy, that's like 400 each.

Easily died more on this guy than my entire play through on all my characters combined.

First phase can be parried easily, but the second one is too fast and I'm not liking the camera filth he pulls.

Been on him for 5 hours, don't think it matters much that I'm on ng++.

It's like all my plats on DeS, DS, DS2, and BB means fuck all :(

I very mad.

Is it better to farm vials and bullets in the DLC area now? I noticed the first level drops loads of each.

Shin-chan

I think the first boss might be the greatest moment in SoulsBorne. Everything about it is brilliant, and it's hard as hell at the appropriate level.

It's a great combination of mechanics, music and lore that's only matched by Artorius. The first time you get him down to 1/2 HP... you feel so hyped even though you know you're about to get wrecked.

Zemm

I forgot how fucking horrendous fighting Darkbeast Paarl is, both with lock on and without. I hope they stop making huge bosses until they fix their piece of shit camera. It's a joke boss made 10 times harder by the camera. Locking on is even more awful because his legs are so wide so you often end up whiffing the attack when you get in, so dumb. Definitely one of the dumbest bosses in the series.

Arjen

I've burnt through my entire of stash of bullets on vials on this guy, that's like 400 each.

Easily died more on this guy than my entire play through on all my characters combined.

First phase can be parried easily, but the second one is too fast and I'm not liking the camera filth he pulls.

I very mad.

Is it better to farm vials and bullets in the DLC area now? I noticed the first level drops loads of each.

I'm in the same boat. I lose lock on all the time in the 2nd phase if he does the jump and it's fucking me up

So optional boss that second phase..... Lol what???!!

What if we cover his weakpoint and punish the player for fighting him straight!?, Brilliant!

At what point in the whole game playthrough is the DLC designed for? It feels like the most difficult area they've made?

Quite late game, the first area migh be useful for early player to get new weapons but the boss is quite hard, even for lv70.

I think the first boss might be the greatest moment in SoulsBorne. Everything about it is brilliant, and it's hard as hell at the appropriate level.

It's a great combination of mechanics, music and lore that's only matched by Artorius. The first time you get him down to 1/2 HP... you feel so hyped even though you know you're about to get wrecked.

Indeed.

Crispy

Just keep your distance. On her last phase she has two types of attacks: long ranged blood attacks and faster close-ranged attacks. If you keep enough distance she will have to dash towards you in order to do some of them, giving you a long enough window to shoot and parry.

Thanks I'll give it a try later, first I've got some farming to do! :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I've only played Bloodborne - haven't had time to go back and play the other Souls game. But I *adored* BB and thought all the bosses but a couple were both very fair and very awesome.

That said... got to agree with you ... as soon as phase 2 hit on the first boss, I was like OH FUCK!!!

VinFTW

It is now my days goal to help someone beat
Ludwig.

24 attempts and counting. They ALWAYS seem to die by the
giant sword/laser/AoE attack or the 1st phase jump attack.

I very mad.

Same, camera goes to shit in the second phase. I'm done for today will try again tomorrow. Not sure about farming. First area does seem to drop a lot of both but I just spend echoes on Vials and Bullets so I'm not certain where the best place would be.

Wagram

Having finished up with the expansion. I think it was pretty well done and I like it a LOT more than most of the main game.

+ Bosses have more health making vials seem important and less for turtle strategies.
+ More wall bosses.
+ Three areas that are actually different and feel unique unlike some in the main game.
+ Good music.
+ Diversified weapons.
- The camera on certain bosses is pretty rough.
- DLC makes me crave more content in the same vein.

Great bosses:
Ludwig
(high challenge),
Laurence
(high challenge).
Good bosses:
Maria
(moderate challenge),
Orphan of Kos
(moderate challenge).
Okay boss:
Living Failure
(below moderate challenge).

Thanks! Your character is much higher level than mine I think is the catch. Gotta keep leveling.
Yeah, pump that str as its S scaling at +10.

I was not expecting to like this weapon at all, in fact I started leveling my guy prior to the dlc to be more skill based since the skill weapons were looking more interesting to me.

side note: It's fun to pretend crows are tall grass that needs some mowing. Hold L2 and get to work!

Having finished up with the expansion. I think it was pretty well done and I like it a LOT more than most of the main game.

+ Bosses have more health making vials seem important and less for turtle strategies.
+ More wall bosses.
+ Three areas that are actually different and feel unique unlike some in the main game.
+ Good music.
+ Diversified weapons.
- The camera on certain bosses is pretty rough.
- DLC makes me crave more content in the same vein.

Great bosses:
Ludwig
(high challenge),
Laurence
(high challenge).
Good bosses:
Maria
(moderate challenge),
Orphan of Kos
(moderate challenge).
Okay boss:
Living Failure
(below moderate challenge).

Play Dark Souls 1, DLC have lots of Dark Souls 1 Layouts I instant recognize Duke Archives

Hypron

I very mad.

Chalice dungeons are way better for vials and bullets. They give you so much echoes you can easily buy tons of them. I have a fetid rotten great ihyll root chalice where killing NPC hunters grants about 120K echoes each. That's 240 bullets for example just for killing 1 enemy.

Wagram

Play Dark Souls 1, DLC have lots of Dark Souls 1 Layouts I instant recognize Duke Archives

Yup. Perhaps that's why I like it. Too many of the areas in the vanilla experience are so samey. If the indicator on the bottom right didn't exist to show new areas I wouldn't have even noticed I changed areas. The final area reminds me of Demon's Souls.

Facism

Here is a video of my run. It seems that
if you keep on his left side he keeps moving in circles and you don't even really have to worry about anything during that.

wow he has a tiny hp pool and is really passive in your video. In NG+ his hp is insane and he doesn't stop attacking for more than 1 second.

Yup. Perhaps that's why I like it. Too many of the areas in the vanilla experience are so samey. If the indicator on the bottom right didn't exist to show new areas I wouldn't have even noticed I changed areas. The final area reminds me of Demon's Souls.
The whole
Fishing Hamlet
reminds me of the Valley of Defilement

Top Bottom