• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Ogawa-san

Man, trying to co-op as visitor at
Ludwig
, I'm pretty much a waste of one insight. I can tell if it's NG or NG+ (I'm in NG) if the first hit takes 90% of my health or not.

That'd be a great time to take a look at that co-op health penalty.

TitusTroy

I'm up to the 3rd boss...I wish From Software would not place bosses back-to-back like they did with Dark Souls 2 DLC (Elana then Sinh the dragon)...I like to explore an area and then have a boss at the end...putting them back-to-back doesn't feel right...1st boss was fun and challenging because he's so aggressive...took me about 7 tries to kill him, all during his 1st phase...once he transformed I took him out the first time....2nd boss was tougher then it should have been as those meteors shooting from the sky kept killing me...I keep getting Boss 3 down to around 20% left of health but her 3rd phase is tough and I keep running out of health vials

BruceCLea

Banned
Just started up again. I beat the original game so now I'm working towards the DLC. Everything is harder and I have all my stuff. Guessing I'm in NG+? Does that make the DLC extra hard now too? I was able to summon Father Gascoigne in Central Yharnam which was cool. I guess that's new?

Mendrox

I'm level 173. It's just not fun -- even when I get close, it's not fun. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised I see so many people thinking it's an awesome fight, or that the DLC itself is somehow A+++ whereas the base game is a B-? So far, I'd give this a C-, which is crushing to even think much less say since I absolutely adore the base game and wanted this to kick so much ass.

Of course, this won't stop people from saying "git gud" or whatever, but I don't feel like I have to prove my worth when I'm sitting on the platinum and have a combined 100 hours in the game, not to even mention my time with DS series -- even if I finished this particular fight with flying colors, I wouldn't feel like it was fun or well designed. Unlike a LOT of the fights I struggled on in the base game, where I always felt like ripping my hair out, but loved coming back to try again and again.

It seems like that you just played too much of it. These bosses are not way harder than all the other ones in the game except for one...but it is supposed to be challenge so be it? I am level 105 on NG+ and killed everything with a few tries. Most fights were 5-7 minutes which is okay and pumps me up. These boss fights are well designed and all their high damage attacks are easily avoidable (except for OoK). First boss jumps into the air? Count down to 3 and dodge - avoided. First boss charges his ultimate attack for a few seconds? Wait a bit and run towards him - he glitches and misses every time. He swings left? Dodge to the left and into him. Right? The same just right. Second phase where he uses magic? Easy side dodges - easy stun lock for him (he is weak from his behind, you can get more than 3 viscal attacks) And this is just an example for the first boss. It's just pattern learning like every damn boss in these games.

Just started up again. I beat the original game so now I'm working towards the DLC. Everything is harder and I have all my stuff. Guessing I'm in NG+? Does that make the DLC extra hard now too? I was able to summon Father Gascoigne in Central Yharnam which was cool. I guess that's new?

Yes DLC is NG+ too of course. Father Gascoigne was always summonable there, but most people miss that cause they don't understand insight.

I'm up to the 3rd boss...I wish From Software would not place bosses back-to-back like they did with Dark Souls 2 DLC (Elana then Sinh the dragon)...I like to explore an area and then have a boss at the end...putting them back-to-back doesn't feel right...1st boss was fun and challenging because he's so aggressive...took me about 7 tries to kill him, all during his 1st phase...once he transformed I took him out the first time....2nd boss was tougher then it should have been as those meteors shooting from the sky kept killing me...I keep getting Boss 3 down to around 20% left of health but her 3rd phase is tough and I keep running out of health vials

To be fair, second boss feels more like a body guard rather than an actual boss.

Crispy

Third boss got all of my vials and bullets, I guess I just don't have the reflexes. Got to about 25% percent health a few times, but then there are just too many strong attacks which I can't avoid.

BeeDog

Any FAQ/Wiki that has a summary of the missables for the DLC? I know the weapons are not missable, but I'd rather try to collect all other items/tools during this run.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was riding high on this DLC bringing me that Bloodborne goodness all the way through, but the optional boss has just made me turn off and walk away pretty pissed off.

Terrible move design (5 SWIPES, ALL ROOM SIZED, GOOD TO GO!), cheap as hell, a reskin, way too much health and a truly shitty 2nd phase.

Not sure I can even be arsed trying until the weekend when maybe I'll luck out and get a small bell helper but fat chance of that because that systems still fucked. What makes it even more bizarre is there only one of those NPC summon bell points in the whole DLC? Put one of them on this optional boss ffs.

Dear Miyazaki: room sized swiping is not a fun game mechanic. Please cuff the back of your underlings heads the next time they even try such shit.

finalflame

I was riding high on this DLC bringing me that Bloodborne goodness all the way through, but the optional boss has just made me turn off and walk away pretty pissed off.

Terrible move design (5 SWIPES, ALL ROOM SIZED, GOOD TO GO!), cheap as hell, a reskin, way too much health and a truly shitty 2nd phase.

Not sure I can even be arsed trying until the weekend when maybe I'll luck out and get a small bell helper but fat chance of that because that systems still fucked.

Dear Miyazaki: room sized swiping is not a fun game mechanic. Please cuff the back of your underlings heads the next time they even try such shit.

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Blobbers

Maria
boss spoilers:
After beating Maria, I went to the Hunter's Dream and mashed X on the doll and missed all her special dialogue except the last part. Is the dialogue in text form anywhere out there? It's not on the doll's wiki page. On a related note, good to know good ol' German pleasured himself with a doll that resembled a student of his.

Manu

Third boss got all of my vials and bullets, I guess I just don't have the reflexes. Got to about 25% percent health a few times, but then there are just too many strong attacks which I can't avoid.

You mean
Maria
? Even during her last phase she's easy to parry.

Any FAQ/Wiki that has a summary of the missables for the DLC? I know the weapons are not missable, but I'd rather try to collect all other items/tools during this run.

There is at least missable side quest. It's in the research hall.
You'll eventually see a NPC asking for a "brain fluid". The brain fluid is looted at the very top of the level (you'll have to hit another NPC to get it).
It's missable because if you kill the NPC, you can't finish the side quest. It sounds ridiculous to kill her but since she drops a key to a secret area you can be screwed if you don't know that... And yes, I killed her...

HORRORSHØW

i'm lost. is this cave where i'm supposed to go? i beat the half-beast hunter and cleared the cave but everything's a dead-end. just going around in circles in the fishing village.

CUr_OOCVAAANcku.jpg:large

Hypron

Grimløck;186791984 said:
i'm lost. is this cave where i'm supposed to go? i beat the half-beast hunter and cleared the cave but everything's a dead-end. just going around in circles in the fishing village.

If you go down the left path and look at the walls there'll be another passage, you just need to take it and drop down once you reach the end.

Not sure I can even be arsed trying until the weekend when maybe I'll luck out and get a small bell helper but fat chance of that because that systems still fucked. What makes it even more bizarre is there only one of those NPC summon bell points in the whole DLC? Put one of them on this optional boss ffs.

Damn, if you're having trouble here don't even attempt the final boss lol

Aces&Eights

Yes! Defeated
lady maria
. Heart pounding and palms are sweaty. I'm getting too old, From, lol.

Anyone want to help me with
flaming cleric beast?
I think I'm just outside his lair and I have
Laurences skull

idonteven

why am i getting absolutly destroyed by these giants in the dlc ? that well is giving me more problems than the final boss

the attacks they use are super hard to dodge

myco666

Grimløck;186792347 said:
thnx a lot! i hear freaking singing down there

it's a non-descript cave. calm your tits

I've already seen everything but there are lot of people who would really not want to see that stuff before they arrive there.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Damn, if you're having trouble here don't even attempt the final boss lol

Gave the final boss a beat down of epic proportions on second try. The optional boss is some straight up bullshit. You're dependant entirely on luck with whatever movesets he busts out because 4 out of 5 of them have no openings.

The optional boss is
Laurence
if ye didnt know.

Arjen

You can summon an npc at the optional boss, but maybe you need to be in the covenant, he's useless though, dies way to fast.
Just dodge forward trough his swipes to get behind him, second face just circle his right.

Fhtagn

Grimløck;186792347 said:
thnx a lot! i hear freaking singing down there

it's a non-descript cave. calm your tits

I'm out of this thread, way too many people thinking it's ok to mention new shit without spoiler tags or post screenshots of areas not seen in trailers. See y'all in a couple days once I have this finished.

Wagram

Got to Maria, she can kiss my ass. This type of fight isn't really my thing, I find the hunter enemies incredibly tedious and annoying and I just see myself counting the bullets and vials I'm wasting on them. I would imagine she will be a favourite of many players though the way the suiciding boss with the samurai sword was in DS2 fire area DLC (been so long I've forgot his name). I'm not really a boss person tbh, the bosses are what happens in between the exploration to me - A necessary obstruction. I know most probably see it the other way around and I get that, but I'm always happy when I've got boss patterns down and they're more a checkpoint than a challenge.

The boss before went down first try, which I'm guessing is the same for most people. It was just about to do something where everything went dark (like the Wet Nurse) but I killed it before I could get a chance to see if anything was happening - I was expecting a huge AoE to wipe me out just before I landed the killing blow tbh.
I'm guessing the
shield
you find in the area is a helper for this fight should you need it? I completely forgot about it but didn't need it any way.

I certainly respect that, but i'm the opposite. The bosses are the goal, while the levels are the area inbetween. The bosses really make or break the entire experience for me.

Aces&Eights

There is at least missable side quest. It's in the research hall.
You'll eventually see a NPC asking for a "brain fluid". The brain fluid is looted at the very top of the level (you'll have to hit another NPC to get it).
It's missable because if you kill the NPC, you can't finish the side quest. It sounds ridiculous to kill her but since she drops a key to a secret area you can be screwed if you don't know that... And yes, I killed her...

I can't remember who I need to give the
brain fluid
too. I have it and beat both bosses up top. Rather not run around that place again and deal with all those enemies. What room is the thing in that wants the stuff?

Still need help on optional boss outside Amelias place if anyone wants to help.

JimPanzer

damn, I beat the first boss first try while having the guy from the league summoned. I didn't know a boss fight was coming and in the fight I just went with it. now I feel like a cheater :/

Gave the final boss a beat down of epic proportions on second try. The optional boss is some straight up bullshit. You're dependant entirely on luck with whatever movesets he busts out because 4 out of 5 of them have no openings.

The optional boss is
Laurence
if ye didnt know.

Hmm I thought the optional boss was
The orphan of Kos
lol
So yea, I'm in the same boat as you lol

It seems like that you just played too much of it. These bosses are not way harder than all the other ones in the game except for one...but it is supposed to be challenge so be it? I am level 105 on NG+ and killed everything with a few tries. Most fights were 5-7 minutes which is okay and pumps me up. These boss fights are well designed and all their high damage attacks are easily avoidable (except for OoK). First boss jumps into the air? Count down to 3 and dodge - avoided. First boss charges his ultimate attack for a few seconds? Wait a bit and run towards him - he glitches and misses every time. He swings left? Dodge to the left and into him. Right? The same just right. Second phase where he uses magic? Easy side dodges - easy stun lock for him (he is weak from his behind, you can get more than 3 viscal attacks) And this is just an example for the first boss. It's just pattern learning like every damn boss in these games.

Yes DLC is NG+ too of course. Father Gascoigne was always summonable there, but most people miss that cause they don't understand insight.
Funny that u mention OoK being the hardest to avoid, he was actually the easiest for me to avoid (did get caught quite a few times though), and also the only boss I beat on my first try, with no help (NG+).

It was also the only boss I fought with the Whirlgig Saw, which is hands down my favorite weapon in the game. Not sure if that made a difference. Probably did though, seeing as how I did a 4k damage stun lock attack at one point in the fight lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can someone please tell me which boss is the "optional" one?

Anyway, just defeated my third boss,
Living Failures.

First things first - that Research Room Stair Labyrinth is, on one hand, and absolute brutal fucking puzzle. Getting lost multiple times, dying from falls, and the mobs are straight up ridiculous. Almost every enemy, no matter how vanilla, had the capability to wipe health out in a second or two. Took me at least five or six tries to make it through. On the other hand, though... it's really great. It was a legitimately good puzzle, and the art design is spectacular. the light shining in up top was beautiful.

Boss was pretty easy. Sure, I used like 15 vials, but I defeated it on my first try. I'll take that. Don't know how you're supposed to dodge that AOE attack, though.

Anyway - definitely feel the DLC is more difficult than the base game. Not necessarily because it's significantly harder - but more than the standard game had about ~10 hours of pretty brutal shit sprinkled into a 30-60hr game. Here, that same 10 hours of difficulty is about on par with the base game, but that's all there is.

So far, in terms of difficulty, I'd have to say, boss wise:

LAURENCE the first vicar was an absolute BITCH. Tough as shit. I blame this more on the camera than anything, though. Phase 1 was a cakewalk, but I kept getting bodied into his lave in phase 2, and then the camera would shit the bed and I couldn't "escape."

Ludwig took a couple tries, but wasn't too bad if you took your time and learned the move set. Hard, challenging, but felt fair.

Living Failures was pretty easy and kind of boring.

Overall, my biggest complaint thus far is really the camera - it's been a bitch on at least 10 different occasions. I think there are more fights in tight corridors here, and the camera just isn't up to the task.

That said, loving it regardless.

finalflame

Funny that u mention OoK being the hardest to avoid, he was actually the easiest for me to avoid (did get caught quite a few times though), and also the only boss I beat on my first try, with no help (NG+).

It was also the only boss I fought with the Whirlgig Saw, which is hands down my favorite weapon in the game. Not sure if that made a difference. Probably did though, seeing as how I did a 4k damage stun lock attack at one point in the fight lol.

What's your stat distribution to be getting that much damage out of Whirlgig? I find its damage output to be middling compared to Ludwig's.

myco666

Can someone please tell me which boss is the "optional" one?

Anyway, just defeated my third boss,
Living Failures.

First things first - that Research Room Stair Labyrinth is, on one hand, and absolute brutal fucking puzzle. Getting lost multiple times, dying from falls, and the mobs are straight up ridiculous. Almost every enemy, no matter how vanilla, had the capability to wipe health out in a second or two. Took me at least five or six tries to make it through. On the other hand, though... it's really great. It was a legitimately good puzzle, and the art design is spectacular. the light shining in up top was beautiful.

Boss was pretty easy. Sure, I used like 15 vials, but I defeated it on my first try. I'll take that. Don't know how you're supposed to dodge that AOE attack, though.

Anyway - definitely feel the DLC is more difficult than the base game. Not necessarily because it's significantly harder - but more than the standard game had about ~10 hours of pretty brutal shit sprinkled into a 30-60hr game. Here, that same 10 hours of difficulty is about on par with the base game, but that's all there is.

So far, in terms of difficulty, I'd have to say, boss wise:

LAURENCE the first vicar was an absolute BITCH. Tough as shit.

Ludwig took a couple tries, but wasn't too bad if you took your time and learned the move set. Hard, challenging, but felt fair.

Living Failures was pretty easy and kind of boring.

Overall, my biggest complaint thus far is really the camera - it's been a bitch on at least 10 different occasions. I think there are more fights in tight corridors here, and the camera just isn't up to the task.

That said, loving it regardless.

Laurence
is the optional boss.

Manu

Yes, I just can't read
her
moves quickly enough, and in the last phase I get hit a lot by the long range attacks, which are seriously long range.

Just keep your distance. On her last phase she has two types of attacks: long ranged blood attacks and faster close-ranged attacks. If you keep enough distance she will have to dash towards you in order to do some of them, giving you a long enough window to shoot and parry.

Donos

hmm , first boss is good "perfect dodge - git gud" training (NG+, lvl 116). Got him almost half down in third try but i still haven't seen all his attack patterns. Will be a good moment when he's down.

Good that FROM has put that 5 vial source right before him ...

ohhhh, his charge is a 1HKO ... was doing so well -_-

Top Bottom