• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

zma1013

So the
cleric beast lookalike that's on fire, is he suppose to wake up and fight me or do I come back and fight him later?

valkyre

Mmmm there is one thophy for collecting all weapons, there is one weapon you cant get unless you kill a certain NPC so far no one knows if you can get it in other way

You mean you have to kill an NPC in order to get the weapon or that by killing said NPC weapon is missable?

You mean you have to kill an NPC in order to get the weapon or that by killing said NPC weapon is missable?

Kill it in order to get it. There is another NPC who will lock a rune and two Hunters tools if you kill it but I dont think there is a trophy tied for Hunter tools

mellow

idk why I thought things would be a breeze after hearing how
Ludwig
was the hardest boss and that I beat him on my 2nd attempt
Orphan of Kos
is kicking my ass, his HP is insane

Spoo

Pretty much have to decide if I want to create a new character. Can't beat the first boss nomatter what I do on NG+3. Best I can do is get it to second form, but then I'm sapped of everything. Really, really disappointed in the DLC balancing for NG+3. Everything is either a 1 shot or 2 shot, and it just isn't fun, and my drive to keep trying... well, I'm completely beaten by this I think. Never struggled so hard on a boss in basically any game, and certainly not one that is so distinctly unfun to fight.

edit: kind of wish I could refund the DLC, because I don't think I have the drive to get into a position to play it, and what I've gotten out of it is worth maybe 3 dollars.

Got to Maria, she can kiss my ass. This type of fight isn't really my thing, I find the hunter enemies incredibly tedious and annoying and I just see myself counting the bullets and vials I'm wasting on them. I would imagine she will be a favourite of many players though the way the suiciding boss with the samurai sword was in DS2 fire area DLC (been so long I've forgot his name). I'm not really a boss person tbh, the bosses are what happens in between the exploration to me - A necessary obstruction. I know most probably see it the other way around and I get that, but I'm always happy when I've got boss patterns down and they're more a checkpoint than a challenge.

The boss before went down first try, which I'm guessing is the same for most people. It was just about to do something where everything went dark (like the Wet Nurse) but I killed it before I could get a chance to see if anything was happening - I was expecting a huge AoE to wipe me out just before I landed the killing blow tbh.
I'm guessing the
shield
you find in the area is a helper for this fight should you need it? I completely forgot about it but didn't need it any way.

The shield can only protect you from spell as far as I know, but yeah maris is quite annoying but easy since you can parry her attacks and her moves are heavily noticeable to evade

silva1991

Got to Maria, she can kiss my ass. This type of fight isn't really my thing, I find the hunter enemies incredibly tedious and annoying and I just see myself counting the bullets and vials I'm wasting on them. I would imagine she will be a favourite of many players though the way the suiciding boss with the samurai sword was in DS2 fire area DLC (been so long I've forgot his name). I'm not really a boss person tbh, the bosses are what happens in between the exploration to me - A necessary obstruction. I know most probably see it the other way around and I get that, but I'm always happy when I've got boss patterns down and they're more a checkpoint than a challenge.

The boss before went down first try, which I'm guessing is the same for most people. It was just about to do something where everything went dark (like the Wet Nurse) but I killed it before I could get a chance to see if anything was happening - I was expecting a huge AoE to wipe me out just before I landed the killing blow tbh.
I'm guessing the
shield
you find in the area is a helper for this fight should you need it? I completely forgot about it but didn't need it any way.

I think the
shield is just kinda good against magic
, but i'm not sure.

Hypron

Pretty much have to decide if I want to create a new character. Can't beat the first boss nomatter what I do on NG+3. Best I can do is get it to second form, but then I'm sapped of everything. Really, really disappointed in the DLC balancing for NG+3. Everything is either a 1 shot or 2 shot, and it just isn't fun, and my drive to keep trying... well, I'm completely beaten by this I think. Never struggled so hard on a boss in basically any game, and certainly not one that is so distinctly unfun to fight.

Yeah it seems it's balanced to provide a challenge to very high level characters using the most OP gear in the game on higher NG+s. I was quite happy with my Kirkhammer and 1200HP 'til reaching the DLC but switching to the Ludwig Holy Sword and upping my vitality to 1900HP made a big difference and now it's not bullshit anymore — feels about what you'd expect from a Souls game.

Go for a few Chalice dungeons to farm some echoes to lvl up I guess.

Airgetlam

I know this sounds dumb. All the bosses so far were difficult but manageable. Lol but I'm having a lot of trouble on the two things at the bottom of the well.

myco666

I know this sounds dumb. All the bosses so far were difficult but manageable. Lol but I'm having a lot of trouble on the two things at the bottom of the well.

I managed to beat all bosses except the last one in two tries. That well was still pain in the ass and died multiple times.

valkyre

Kill it in order to get it. There is another NPC who will lock a rune and two Hunters tools if you kill it but I dont think there is a trophy tied for Hunter tools

What makes it missable though? Is the NPC available only for limited time? I know i probably approach spoiler territory now... :S

Spoo

Yeah it seems it's balanced to provide a challenge to very high level characters using the most OP gear in the game on higher NG+s. I was quite happy with my Kirkhammer and 1200HP 'til reaching the DLC but switching to the Ludwig Holy Sword and upping my vitality to 1900HP made a big difference and now it's not bullshit anymore — feels about what you'd expect from a Souls game.

Go for a few Chalice dungeons to farm some echoes to lvl up I guess.

I'm level 173. It's just not fun -- even when I get close, it's not fun. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised I see so many people thinking it's an awesome fight, or that the DLC itself is somehow A+++ whereas the base game is a B-? So far, I'd give this a C-, which is crushing to even think much less say since I absolutely adore the base game and wanted this to kick so much ass.

Of course, this won't stop people from saying "git gud" or whatever, but I don't feel like I have to prove my worth when I'm sitting on the platinum and have a combined 100 hours in the game, not to even mention my time with DS series -- even if I finished this particular fight with flying colors, I wouldn't feel like it was fun or well designed. Unlike a LOT of the fights I struggled on in the base game, where I always felt like ripping my hair out, but loved coming back to try again and again.

What!!

Fishing Hamlet
is the last area?

So how many boss fights left?

I defeated 3 so far..

1 on that area, the optional boss in on the cathedral after you found a skull

What makes it missable though? Is the NPC available only for limited time? I know i probably approach spoiler territory now... :S

For the trophy NPC? none, for the other one, dont kill the patient tied to a chair.

Lore spoiler

now I noticed that Gerhman is a fucking weird man. Fucker did a doll based on one of his students.

Welp, being alone all those centuries must hit him hard, she also have a photograph there, maybe Gehrman's

Tuned for mid-60s my ass. Ludwig is impossible for me solo using Blades of Mercy. I haven't got one weapon that would gel with a Skill/Arcane build. I can summon Valtr for help with Ludwig except I'm out of insight, so now I have to farm insight. Ugh. Might as well re-roll for a STR/Vit build which this DLC was apparently made for. This formula is tiring on me.

I'm guessing the
shield

I totally agree with you on the boss vs level thing. While the bosses are fun and all the exploring and solving the puzzle of the levels itself are what I really love about these games.

It's also amazing how people struggle with things differently. For me boss 1 and 4 are hard and 2 & 3 I found easy.

Saying that I only find 4 hard due to how little damage I do to him. Boss one phase one is just annoying and I don't think is very fun.

Ferr986

1 on that area, the optional boss in on the cathedral after you found a skull

For the trophy NPC? none, for the other one, dont kill the patient tied to a chair.

Welp, being alone all those centuries must hit him hard, she also have a photograph there, maybe Gehrman's

but... his student? Maybe he was indeed a little perv afterall lol

Speaking of
Gehrman
, is he in the DLC? he was in the trailer in the
Fish
area.

Didn't saw him but I have yet to finish that area. Just started it but maybe I'll leave it for tomorrow.

I think the
shield is just kinda good against magic
, but i'm not sure.
The shield can only protect you from spell as far as I know, but yeah maris is quite annoying but easy since you can parry her attacks and her moves are heavily noticeable to evade
The description tells you it's good against magic, and that boss uses spells so that's why I thought it was there. They were dropping sedatives like candy throughout the area so I thought they would be needed to somewhere in the area.

That bosses spells reminded me of Ebriatas, so as soon as I saw them I knew to run to avoid.

The thing is I almost kill the first one, but the second giant is still up.

The first time I faced those, the second one friggin ate me. Like not chewing, just threw his head back and swallowed. The second time I fought em it didn't do that, so I guess that only happens when your HP is low enough for that move to kill.

What I'm trying to say is: that was gross. Those things are gross.

Top Bottom