• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Carcetti

Finally got my character to the level I was comfortable for the expansion last night after some blood rock grind in Gaol. Went in and that w
heelchair
. Well played! Turned console off and went to sleep.

BeeDog

The shark-whales don't mess around, goddamn. By far the worst regular mob in Bloodborne, even 1-on-1's are tough as hell.

zma1013

There are two elevators. Take both up. There is also s secret drop off on the second ones ride up.

Edit: I reread what you said. I think you can get there by going up the other side. There are some ladders and whatnot over there

There doesn't appear to be any ladders that go up any further. I think it's a loss, I've been over every inch of this place I think.

EDIT: oh well now the lever for that elevator works for some reason. Before it didn't work.

What level should you be for NG+? I can't find anyone to join my game to help me with Lud. Have tried setting it to both local and worldwide. Level 122, am I over-leveled and thus not finding anyone in range to help me?

bryt

What level should you be for NG+? I can't find anyone to join my game to help me with Lud. Have tried setting it to both local and worldwide. Level 122, am I over-leveled and just getting wrecked because I'm awful?

I was the same level on NG+ and it took me 4 hours of trying to beat him.

Derpot

So I finished the DLC yesterday.

It was fucking amazing. Best Soulsborne DLC. The new locations are amazing, the new weapons are awesome, the bosses are incredible, holy shit, what a ride.

Two things that disappointed me, tho:

- There are too many Strength scaling weapons and my character has a Dex/Bloodtinge build, so I couldn't try all of them.

- I wasn't a big fan of
Orphan of Kos. The atmosphere during the fight and the music were awesome, I loved it, but I thought he was a bit disappointing after you fought bosses like Ludwig (holy crap when the Moonlight Sword appeared, that was a great moment), Lady Maria and Laurence (this one was frustrating lol). Failed Experiments were just eh, whatever, not interesting. Orphan of Kos has some BS moves too, I kinda raged against him, but once you know the right strategy, he becomes almost easy.

Anyway, now I can go to the lore discussion!

The walk back to
Laurence
is the worst...

If you have opened gate at the beginning just do the following.

Run out door the take a right up stairs.

As first hunt raises gun just roll to dodge shot, the run / roll away.

Follow stairs round then take right up more stairs. Then run in the right siding and let fire ball kill mobs. If any survive just kill them.

Then go up to gate. As snakeface mcgiant pants kills two normal dudes run / roll past him. He won't follow you all the way. There is a tether on him.

Got through the first boss with a NPC summon and got to the second boss. I think I'm just not going to touch the DLC content til a bit later. The "banging against the wall" that Im doing against the bosses is seriously deterring my enjoyment :p

Maybe I'll head back in after The two bosses in Yahargul.

Akara

Banned
So I finished the DLC yesterday.

It was fucking amazing. Best Soulsborne DLC. The new locations are amazing, the new weapons are awesome, the bosses are incredible, holy shit, what a ride.

Two things that disappointed me, tho:

- There are too many Strength scaling weapons and my character has a Dex/Bloodtinge build, so I couldn't try all of them.

- I wasn't a big fan of
Orphan of Kos. The atmosphere during the fight and the music were awesome, I loved it, but I thought he was a bit disappointing after you fought bosses like Ludwig (holy crap when the Moonlight Sword appeared, that was a great moment), Lady Maria and Laurence (this one was frustrating lol). Failed Experiments were just eh, whatever, not interesting. Orphan of Kos has some BS moves too, I kinda raged against him, but once you know the right strategy, he becomes almost easy.

Anyway, now I can go to the lore discussion!

Bow, Chikage and Ra whatever that thing is called sounds up your alley ;D. You can also change the scaling on weapons so there's that!

MilkBeard

I don't get it either. I can join someones game or invade within seconds but I have been sitting here for 32 minutes trying to summon someone into my game. Nothing.

By logic this means that there are a ton of people waiting to summon someone, however not that many trying to help summon for the specific area you are in.

As for me, I have not had to wait longer than a few minutes to get someone. Sometimes it's luck of the draw.

Laurence
is literally impossible lol.

It's the camera. At times it zooms in and all you can see is fire and possibly limbs????

It's bad enough he is a reskin but to have the same camera issues and a ton of frame rate drops because of all the fire effects just makes him a terrible boss.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Bow, Chikage and Ra whatever that thing is called sounds up your alley ;D. You can also change the scaling on weapons so there's that!

Say what now? Got my PS4 back from the repair centre today, currently finishing some stuff in the main game up before I dive into the DLC... What do you mean you can change the scaling?

Also, I'm rocking a skill/tinge build, there looks to be a few cool weapons scaling with tinge, are any of you guys playing with a similar build? How are you digging the new stuff? Should I continue on my Evelyn/Chikage program or start saving my blood stones for some of the new stuff?

Mutombo

So tried my best with the dlc for the first time yesterday. I'm ng+, level 99 or so, using blades of mercy.

Where before I've pretty much always soloed through the game, I think I'm gonna be always ringing the beckoning bell. Only got help once though; and that time I got help from two(!) guys. Never had that happen before.

After that it didn't really seem to work no more.

And.. ahhh. I forgot how it was to lose 120k souls, and then 70k souls, even though its ng+ that's still 3 precious levels right there, and I pop blood vials like popcorn so I'm running out quite fast as well.

And the hunter guys hit hard man.

Say what now? Got my PS4 back from the repair centre today, currently finishing some stuff in the main game up before I dive into the DLC... What do you mean you can change the scaling?

Also, I'm rocking a skill/tinge build, there looks to be a few cool weapons scaling with tinge, are any of you guys playing with a similar build? How are you digging the new stuff? Should I continue on my Evelyn/Chikage program or start saving my blood stones?

There's a second blood rock in the DLC and a ton of chunks so you should be able to get a new weapon to +10 as well as what you have e from main game.

burgerdog

By the way I didn't say it earlier, but the last 40% of
Laurence
is fucking hell incarnate.

Loved it though. That victory was pure heaven.

Haha I got it down to like 30% on my first attempt and though you guys were tripping. And then it was like oh, ohhhhh fuck.

Switch Back 9

There's a second blood rock in the DLC and a ton of chunks so you should be able to get a new weapon to +10 as well as what you have e from main game.

Oh sweet, well then I suppose I'll finish up with what I've started so far and start the DLC in peak form.

But what was that about altering weapon scaling?

Holy God, Amygdala gets absolutely REKT by (weapon spoiler)
Simon's Bowblade
. Killed it in like 5 shots in NG.

I also heard Ebrietas has a bad time against that weapon. I really love it's moveset. Winter Lanterns also get rocked, it's fantastic.

Oh sweet, well then I suppose I'll finish up with what I've started so far and start the DLC in peak form.

But what was that about altering weapon scaling?

He prob means gems that improve scaling. But I don't think you can switch skill to str or anything.

Anyway there some good skill weapons so don't worry. I'm loving the Saif even though it's look is similar to the saw cleaver. It has a great move set.

Mandelbo

The music in this DLC really is very good - my favourite so far is the L
iving Failures
song. I think some of it actually appeared in a trailer for the original game (look at 2:57 onwards), and I remember being quite disappointed when it never showed up in game. So glad that we finally get to hear it in a fight!

Switch Back 9

He prob means gems that improve scaling. But I don't think you can switch skill to str or anything.

Anyway there some good skill weapons so don't worry. I'm loving the Saif even though it's look is similar to the saw cleaver. It has a great move set.

Ahhhh gotcha.

Bowblade looks fly as shit. Can't wait!

Soriku

It's the camera. At times it zooms in and all you can see is fire and possibly limbs????

It's bad enough he is a reskin but to have the same camera issues and a ton of frame rate drops because of all the fire effects just makes him a terrible boss.

It's partly the camera, but his attacks are just too fucking insane. How the hell do you even approach this boss? Every time I dodge and don't get hit, I feel like I'm just getting lucky. The times I came to close to killing him, I definitely got lucky because he just decided to use his less annoying moves a bit more often while my random dodges also worked more often. He has crazy AOE attacks and 180 degree swipes with insane range, and you can only do so much. Even while backstepping, there's a good chance he's going to get one more swipe at you and finish the fight.

Then in phase 2, he literally has FLAMES CIRCLING ALL AROUND HIM AND EVEN LEAKING FROM HIS BACK WHILE HIS SWIPE RANGE GETS EVEN MORE INSANE.

FUCK.

I don't even think you can write a reliable strategy for this boss besides "git gud and git lucky"

Edit: How does it even work that he gets more dangerous when he's missing both of his legs lol.

It's partly the camera, but his attacks are just too fucking insane. How the hell do you even approach this boss? Every time I dodge and don't get hit, I feel like I'm just getting lucky. The times I came to close to killing him, I definitely got lucky because he just decided to use his less annoying moves a bit more often while my random dodges also worked more often. He has crazy AOE attacks and 180 degree swipes with insane range, and you can only do so much. Even while backstepping, there's a good chance he's going to get one more swipe at you and finish the fight.

Then in phase 2, he literally has FLAMES CIRCLING AROUND HIM AND EVEN LEAKING FROM HIS BACK WHILE HIS SWIPE RANGE GETS EVEN MORE INSANE.

FUCK.

I don't even think you can write a reliable strategy for this boss besides "git gud and git lucky"

Lol yes. I agree with all of this. But the camera makes it even worse is all.

Steez

No kidding. On paper it seems like the most whatever weapon out of the bunch, but goddamn, that moveset is insane.
I still need to fuck around with it in PvP (please let the dash-transform attacks have i-frames) but in PvE it's a beast. I decided to check out the DLC with my 50 skill character, who's at NG++ and the Saif at +9 tears through everything like butter.

What's the technique?

Fight the first one until it triggers the second one, hit either of them with the bone and watch them tear themselves up.

No kidding. On paper it seems like the most whatever weapon out of the bunch, but goddamn, that moveset is insane.
I still need to fuck around with it in PvP (please let the dash-transform attacks have i-frames) but in PvE it's a beast. I decided to check out the DLC with my 50 skill character, who's at NG++ and the Saif at +9 tears through everything like butter.

Fight the first one until it triggers the second one, hit either of them with the bone and watch them tear themselves up.

Yup. Short mode is fast as hell plus the first attack has a built in dash forwards. Then hit transform and you extend and dash back, hit transform and you dash in again. It's the most agile weapon yet I think.

Soriku

Laurence's
flame pound attacks will be the death of me. Especially when he combines them with wide swipes and suddenly decides he has infinite stamina combined with his limitless mobility. FUUUUUUU. Your character can't dodge fast or wide enough and sooner or later you'll run into a wall (which means bad camera) where he'll just combo you to death.

Zocano

Ugh. Judging by the trophies, I believe I am at the last boss of the dlc
Orphan of Kos
. I don't normally (or ever) summon for bosses but there's something about this one that's just irritating. Like (first boss)
Ludwig
was incredibly diffiicult but I had the desire to perservere and solo him down good. Dunno what's up with this last boss, though. I think it's just because it's sooooooooo long of a fight and so tanky and hardly changes and
the 2nd form is just a clusterfuck thrash fest that I hate from bosses.
It's just not fun to fight.

But I'm Lv 67 or something and I doubt I'll be able to find someone to summon.

are you fucking shitting me

this actually works

you have no idea how much grief those guys caused me

I stood on the ledge and just cheesed the shit out of them from there. I don't have the patience for stupid clusterfucks.

Soriku

OH SHIT I JUST GOT HIM. He decided he wanted to spit more so I got more openings. It was really close at the end.

Still this boss is 99% foolproof.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Beat the DLC twice, one on STR and another on SKL builds. Just started a new character to try some ARC stuff and beat Ludwig at level 45. Not sure why people have that much trouble with him, especially his easier, second form.

Also did they buff anything else with the Augur of Ebrietas besides it being able to parry now? The damage seems crazy. A single hit also shoves away any boss, Ludwig included. Haven't used it much before though so maybe it always did that.

1upsuper

I've been dying to play the DLC and I was finally able to tonight. NG+ level 120. I made it up to the first boss and got destroyed quite a few times. I know I'm a bit rusty, but he is just a beast. Got him down to just a few hits left and then he used some attack I hadn't seen before and just had to shrug the loss off. New weapons are pretty cool so far. I think my favorite so far with very little testing is
Amygdalan arm.

Ugh. Judging by the trophies, I believe I am at the last boss of the dlc
Orphan of Kos
. I don't normally (or ever) summon for bosses but there's something about this one that's just irritating. Like (first boss)
Ludwig
was incredibly diffiicult but I had the desire to perservere and solo him down good. Dunno what's up with this last boss, though. I think it's just because it's sooooooooo long of a fight and so tanky and hardly changes and
the 2nd form is just a clusterfuck thrash fest that I hate from bosses.
It's just not fun to fight.

Have you tried sliding into cover parrying?

First phase is easy because of that, yah. It still just takes a while and his attacks aren't cooperative a good bit of the time.

Second phase is just not fun.

For the second phase you want to be baiting either his melee attacks (some are parryable) or his jumping smash (punishable). Play super defensively until he gives you one of those. His HP is very high, but I found it more manageable when I learned I could parry him.

Zocano

For the second phase you want to be baiting either his melee attacks (some are parryable) or his jumping smash (punishable). Play super defensively until he gives you one of those. His HP is very high, but I found it more manageable when I learned I could parry him.

Oh, you can parry the second phase? That'll help a lot.

The big aoe spamming is just stupid. I don't mind him moving around a lot but the aoe spam and jump shit is just not fun.

The music in this DLC really is very good - my favourite so far is the L
iving Failures
song. I think some of it actually appeared in a trailer for the original game (look at 2:57 onwards), and I remember being quite disappointed when it never showed up in game. So glad that we finally get to hear it in a fight!

I really liked that fight and track. Simple but cool. When the second half kicks in and they do the
meteor shower attack

So fucking hype.

RiggyRob

The missus has started her own game around the time the DLC launched, and so far I've managed to keep it a secret that I actually bought it (she thinks stuff has just been patched in so far) - she was suitably intrigued when we found the DLC area is called the
Hunter's Nightmare, it has a nice duality with the Hunter's Dream

I'm also keeping a running track of her boss/NPC fights, since it's nice to have a record of her achievements for someone who's never played a game where you control the camera on the right stick before.

First 'episode', Pimmsy vs Henryk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zDfW2BW0I

I promise I'll try not to spam this thread with too many videos!

KRaZyAmmo

Is
lawrence
optional or needed. Was thinking about trying him after i get 2 more rank up in vermin league thing.

Edit: I'm lvl 90-92 with holy blade +10

Soriku

Holy shit did From take their limiters off for these DLC bosses? I realize that Bloodborne is more fast paced than Dark Souls, but gat damn the final boss is one crazed motherfucker. He's a pissed off maniac that strings followup attacks like no one's business. He doesn't know how to stop. Shieeeet.

valkyre

framerate is extremely disappointing in the expansion...

the Main game was fine for me, ok it has those stupid frame pacing issues, but it was steady 30 fps for like 90% of the time.

The expansion however performs quite bad... to the point it does affect gameplay and responsiveness...

I love From Software but they need to get their shit together with their games performance... such a masterpiece in terms of art, gameplay etc, but the performance ... damn...

KRaZyAmmo

Holy shit did From take their limiters off for these DLC bosses? I realize that Bloodborne is more action packed than Dark Souls, but gat damn the final boss is one crazed motherfucker. He's a pissed off maniac that strings followup attacks like no one's business. Shieeeet.
I'm having trouble with him too. Even on NG. I just can't parry good enough to get him in his second stage and still have tons of vitals and bullets.

Top Bottom