• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

bryt

Man,
Laurence
is so frustrating. I've only made it to his second phase once. The camera angle is just god awful. I should go to sleep, fighting him when I'm tired and sick is not a good idea lol.

myco666

L
aurence
is a real cunt.

His damage output is off the charts.

Don't know on what NG you are so it might not help you but what helped me was
equipping high fire resist attire set (old hunter set from DLC is really good for this) and fire resist, defense up and hp up runes.
That way I didn't get killed in one or two hits.

silva1991

equipping high fire resist attire set (old hunter set from DLC is really good for this) and fire resist, defense up and hp up runes.

That didn't help me on NG++++. and holy shit at the new jump attack lol.

idonteven

started a new game and for the first time in forever i died to cleric beast...

the trauma is here forever

DAMN YOU LAURENCE

Hypron

Mhhhh I tried the bone ash set and got still wrecked in two hits (NG+3) D: (with 1900HP)

I really don't like bosses that have lots of attacks that can kill you instantly, especially when they don't have obvious tells.

jmaine_ph

Yesterday
Ludwig
was kicking my ass. Today he's still kicking my ass but I've managed to get to
phase 2
regularly.

I'm done for today. Plus I'm all out of blood vials.

MilkBeard

It's partly the camera, but his attacks are just too fucking insane. How the hell do you even approach this boss? Every time I dodge and don't get hit, I feel like I'm just getting lucky. The times I came to close to killing him, I definitely got lucky because he just decided to use his less annoying moves a bit more often while my random dodges also worked more often. He has crazy AOE attacks and 180 degree swipes with insane range, and you can only do so much. Even while backstepping, there's a good chance he's going to get one more swipe at you and finish the fight.

Then in phase 2, he literally has FLAMES CIRCLING ALL AROUND HIM AND EVEN LEAKING FROM HIS BACK WHILE HIS SWIPE RANGE GETS EVEN MORE INSANE.

FUCK.

I don't even think you can write a reliable strategy for this boss besides "git gud and git lucky"

Edit: How does it even work that he gets more dangerous when he's missing both of his legs lol.
Literally just beat the boss after I read this. He's not that tough, at least with hunters. He has a weak spot on one side. Also he has some pauses in his big swings, making it easy to hit and run. Just don't get caught close to him when he's storming you with lava. The HMB works really well against him, so I'm guessing arcane does high damage on him.

myco666

Mhhhh I tried the bone ash set and got still wrecked in two hits (NG+3) D: (with 1900HP)

I really don't like bosses that have lots of attacks that can kill you instantly, especially when they don't have obvious tells.

Now that is some bullshit. It is pretty much Defiled Watchdog all over again on NG+++.

MilkBeard

Man,
Laurence
is so frustrating. I've only made it to his second phase once. The camera angle is just god awful. I should go to sleep, fighting him when I'm tired and sick is not a good idea lol.

I didn't have a problem, it's a big room. It felt the same as other bosses in big rooms for me. What's wrong with the camera for you?

bryt

How far into the game do I need to go to be able to do co op and get a hunter helper? I've only killed up to Vicar Amelia in this playthrough. Thinking about getting help for
Laurence

started a new game and for the first time in forever i died to cleric beast...

the trauma is here forever

DAMN YOU LAURENCE

I started a new game today too and I got killed by the werewolf at the clinic lol

I don't remember it being able to follow you outside smh

I didn't have a problem, it's a big room. It felt the same as other bosses in big rooms for me. What's wrong with the camera for you?

If you end up anywhere the middle of the room it can go mental. It locks in to his head so it can often zoom in really close and you can't see anything but fire and possibly an arm lol.

myco666

How far into the game do I need to go to be able to do co op and get a hunter helper? I've only killed up to Vicar Amelia in this playthrough. Thinking about getting help for
Laurence

You should be able to do coop after getting your first insight. Or do you mean the NPC hunters?

Soriku

I'm having trouble with him too. Even on NG. I just can't parry good enough to get him in his second stage and still have tons of vitals and bullets.

OK well I just got him to his second phase. Don't know what else to say but make sure your dodging is on point. Dodge constantly. A lot of his attacks are dodgeable with decent timing. If he decides to keep his combo going and you're close you might be screwed though. Can't really escape from that.

His second phase is kind of nuts though with the variety of new attacks he can dish out. He doesn't seem quite as bullshit as
Laurence
though.

Anyway I like how totally pissed off this boss is. The visuals are cool, his attacks are cool, and have a lot of aggression behind them. Can't hate.

Man,
Laurence

You're better off not using lock on

I find that being able to control your roll direction compared to it being in reference to the enemy is an added bonus too

myco666

Just sometimes I'm up in his ass and I can't see shit haha

Sorry, I meant the NPC hunters.

I think Old Hunter Bell should already be unlocked for you. If not go through Forbidden Woods until you meet Valtir. That atleast should trigger it.

BeeDog

Can't for the life of me kill the shark-whales in the well. Tried using the bone blade on one of them, and I let them duke it out for some time. But lo and behold, both of them had over half their health bars left after the duration ended. They started doing their sliding attack, and that was that.

Seriously can't seem to time dodges of their attacks, they're crazy hard.

Femto.

I've fought
Orphan of Kos
about 20 times now.

This one is breaking my spirit GAF.

7 hours later and I FINALLY DID IT!!!

eI4cPkJ.gif

Can't for the life of me kill the shark-whales in the well. Tried using the bone blade on one of them, and I let them duke it out for some time. But lo and behold, both of them had over half their health bars left after the duration ended. They started doing their sliding attack, and that was that.

I noticed that when I used to naturally dodge towards and left to get behind them I got wrecked. When I switch to dodging towards and right they didn't hit me. So try that

BeeDog

I noticed that when I used to naturally dodge towards and left to get behind them I got wrecked. When I switch to dodging towards and right they didn't hit me. So try that

Ah, I also have the same strange preference of dodging towards them but to the left. Maybe because I'm left-handed. Either way, will try to change direction, thanks!

Soriku

Try climbing up the ladder and doing a jump attack on them at least once. Should take a decent amount of damage off. Their sliding attack is crazy though yeah.

I didn't try dodging to the right, sounds interesting...

valkyre

guys a little help with *before 1st DLC boss NPC related stuff*
Harrowed Hunter. I did not speak/meet him before I killed Ludwig. I did not finish off Ludwig's Head, just the boss fight.

Will the Harrowed Hunter be still there in his location so that I can finish his questline without missing anything?

BeeDog

guys a little help with *before 1st DLC boss NPC related stuff*
Harrowed Hunter. I did not speak/meet him before I killed Ludwig. I did not finish off Ludwig's Head, just the boss fight.

Will the Harrowed Hunter be still there in his location so that I can finish his questline without missing anything?

Yeah, he should still be where he is found the first time (the shortcut back to Cathedral Ward). I recall he stayed there for quite some time.

grimmiq

What's the recommended level? Had to start a new character and just got destroyed by an NPC hunter (Red eyes and the flame hammer weapon) at level 38. Dude just kept powering through pistol shots.

bryt

I would recommend not locking on at these times. it's easier to control that way.

Thanks! That works a lot better, I'm getting to phase 2 a lot more now.

And my Dualshock just ran out of battery in the middle of the fight... time to call it a night, need to be up for work in 5 hours.

What's the recommended level? Had to start a new character and just got destroyed by an NPC hunter (Red eyes and the flame hammer weapon) at level 38. Dude just kept powering through pistol shots.

70ish till first boss then 90 maybe lol.

Some bosses feel like they designed around characters that have gone through all chalice dungeons and got great gems because they hit harder and take way wore damage than anything in the main game.

I would say everything apart from boss 1, 4 and optional is fine for 60-80ish chars. Felt end game like there.

Femto.

From what I've read 70-80 should be fine to start it. I started in the low 90s and the first two areas were a breeze for me.

myco666

70ish till first boss then 90 maybe lol.

Some bosses feel like they designed around characters that have gone through all chalice dungeons and got great gems because they hit harder and take way wore damage than anything in the main game.

I would say everything apart from boss 1, 4 and optional is fine for 60-80ish chars. Felt end game like there.

I thought 70-80 is fine for the first boss and my main game gems felt like they were enough. Didn't feel like I had too low damage output.

I haven't played since Tuesday but I'm surprised that the majority think that the L
iving Failures
are a pushover boss. I'm about level 80 in my first playthrough and while L
udwig
went down in about 3 attempts with relative ease, the second boss is wrecking me over and over. I think I must have tried about 8 times before I gave up for the day.

UV-6

O
rphan of Kos
goes batshit insane in its last phase. Not sure if it's because I'm on NG+ with 90+ insight? Took me 20 or so attempts but finally got it.

BeeDog

Finally killed the shark-whales. Burned through 5 bone blades without connecting once, so I just used the bearing pillar in the middle of the cave and was super-cautious. As soon as they did their sliding attack, the would get slowed down by the pillar itself, and after the 4-hit combo I made one or two heavy attacks with a long-reaching weapon.

Derpot

Bow, Chikage and Ra whatever that thing is called sounds up your alley ;D. You can also change the scaling on weapons so there's that!

Eeeh, I don't think it's possible to switch the required stats in order to use a weapon. Unless you meant something else?
But yeah, I already have the Chikage of course, that weapon helps me a lot. I want to use the Bow too, because the moveset is awesome. I don't have Rakuyo for now, because I need to
kill these fucking bastards shark-whale giants. I'll try to use the shaman bone blade technique on them
I also use the Church Pick, this weapon is a lot of fun!

Jobbs

Banned
Just watched some of Vaati's video and he said STR/BT may be a thing now. That's good, because my original main is STR/BT for some reason.

Looking forward to checking it out.

Hypron

L
aurence
status = ded

My heart was pounding towards the end and I finally got him after spending close to 3 hours fighting him.

Definitely not one of my favourite bosses.

I need tips for O
rphan of Kos 2nd phase
:'(

It's still possible to parry him even during the 2nd phase. I don't really have much more advice though, I won that fight by the skin of my teeth - ran out of vials and somehow managed to pull out 2 more parries haha

myco666

Trying to learn Lud's second phase on wos is actually really hard, he has one combo that I can't predict at all

I thought the second phase was way easier to read than first phase. I get hit way more on the first phase.

I need tips for O
rphan of Kos 2nd phase
:'(

Hug him. I found staying close to him at all times to be the best strategy as you have much easier time dodging then. He also uses the jumping attacks alot if you stay close and those are super easy to dodge and has lot of cooldown to get hits in.

I thought the second phase was way easier to read than first phase. I get hit way more on the first phase.

Hug him. I found staying close to him at all times to be the best strategy as you have much easier time dodging then. He also uses the jumping attacks alot if you stay close and those are super easy to dodge and has lot of cooldown to get hits in.
On my first run second phase was over too quickly, I can perfect phase one, but now I actually have learn what's going on in phase 2,some cool mechanics here I didn't realize

Ferr986

Ah, I also have the same strange preference of dodging towards them but to the left. Maybe because I'm left-handed. Either way, will try to change direction, thanks!

Heh, Im left handed too and I always dodge to my left without even thinking about it.

MilkBeard

Also another tip for
Laurence
:

I have found that doing circular dodges to the left around the boss causes him to miss and you gain ground. Especially when he does his ground pounding forward during the legless phase that seems to kill a lot of people. Dash to the left, and he won't gain ground.

Overall I'd say he's a much more predictable boss than
Ludwig
:

grimmiq

Since I was getting mauled I decided to just run through picking up items to see what I could get..3 weapons, all strength. Made it to the first boss and got 2 shot, guess I'll actually need to progress through the main game/grind a bit instead of running boss to boss.

It's still possible to parry him even during the 2nd phase. I don't really have much more advice though, I won that fight by the skin of my teeth - ran out of vials and somehow managed to pull out 2 more parries haha

Thanks. I can't even think about fighting him in NG+

I thought 70-80 is fine for the first boss and my main game gems felt like they were enough. Didn't feel like I had too low damage output.

In comparison to everything else in the game it does. Still possible to do obviously. But just compare it to any other boss fights in main game. It's not in line with those. That's all I'm saying.

Anyway managed to get a summon and kill optional boss. All trophies done on DLC. Was well worth the money.

Top Bottom