• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Fuck. So I bought the DLC today. Then I got home and popped in Bloodborne for the first time in months. Turns out...I had JUST started New Game+ and sold all of my weapons. Why did I do that? I'm guessing I can't access the DLC for a while now

Need some serious help!

How the fuck - in the fishing area - do you defeat that giant thing in the
well?

It's fucking fast as hell. It one hits me. I can't even RUN AWAY fast enough to not die/heal.

I seriously can't get a single hit in. Worse than any boss so far, lmao. Not mad - just surely I'm doing something wrong...

If it makes you feel any better, the one that comes straight after that is a little easier.

I found rolling into them as soon as they try to nose dive you gives you more then enough time to get a few swings in on them.

Femto.

Some peeps tossing boss names all nilly willy without spoiler tags.

O
rphan
O
f
K
os
is the worst you guys.

How far am I from completion by the way?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Need some serious help!

How the fuck - in the fishing area - do you defeat that giant thing in the
well?

It's fucking fast as hell. It one hits me. I can't even RUN AWAY fast enough to not die/heal.

I seriously can't get a single hit in. Worse than any boss so far, lmao. Not mad - just surely I'm doing something wrong...

YO WHAT THE FUCK THERE'S TWO OF THEM?!

Yep, I'm calling it for the night. Seven or eight tries later, and about 40-50 vials used... I'm clearly not beating these guys tonight. FFFFUUUCK. Easily the hardest part of the DLC, so far, IMO...

Still having a blast, though. This environment is super atmospheric! But yeah, you just gotta know when to throw in the towel sometimes.

Rajang

Yep, I'm calling it for the night. Seven or eight tries later, and about 40-50 vials used... I'm clearly not beating these guys tonight. FFFFUUUCK. Easily the hardest part of the DLC, so far, IMO...

Still having a blast, though. This environment is super atmospheric! But yeah, you just gotta know when to throw in the towel sometimes.

When the second one drops just hit one of them with the Shaman Bone Blade and watch them destroy each other.

GL.

mulac

If you're in Forbidden Woods, you can already access the DLC if it has been installed. Just return to the Hunter's Dream and the messengers will be on the stairs with the item you need.

Still have to do the entire Forbidden Woods area to access the Hunter and join The League though...

Despera

Banned
Just beat
Laurence
after a few tries. Was as difficult as
Ludwig
. Had to resort to the "keep a safe distance and chip away at their health" tactic.

This is how my character looks now thanks to the
Beast's Embrace Rune

http://i.imgur.com/KCOBzwI.jpg

DLC on NG+++ seems to be manageable so far (albeit much more challenging than anything in the base game, which is awesome).

Still have to do the entire Forbidden Woods area to access the Hunter and join The League though...

If it's just The League you're concerned about, you only have to unlock the first shortcut to reach Valtr. But if it's just the DLC you're after, then you're free to break off from the Forbidden Woods anytime and jump in with the rest of us hunter folk. :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ya know... you really have to love this game. We have 70+ pages in ONE DAY, and it's almost entirely filled with posts about how this boss is overpowered, this one chips away at your health too quickly, this enemy has a ridiculous moveset, this mob is bullshit, etc etc...

... and yet, we're all here, helping each other get past it. You gotta know it's a good game when everything at first feels cheap as fuck, but you slowly realize you can do better..

Ya know... you really have to love this game. We have 70+ pages in ONE DAY, and it's almost entirely filled with posts about how this boss is overpowered, this one chips away at your health too quickly, this enemy has a ridiculous moveset, this mob is bullshit, etc etc...

... and yet, we're all here, helping each other get past it. You gotta know it's a good game when everything at first feels cheap as fuck, but you slowly realize you can do better..

Thats how the Souls community is regardless of saying X souls game is harder than other soul game.

When I was stuck on the first boss I was wondering if I actually hated the DLC. And then I beat him and he's probably my favorite boss and I remembered how awesome the first area was and that I still have two more ahead of me. It's that good shit. Bloodborne's a special game for me, one of the best of the best.

Wagram

I would be scared to have someone listen in on what I say when I fight these bosses. I say some pretty stupid things, but in the end when I am leveled headed I always think back positively on how awesome the stuff was despite me playing like a complete moron.

Femto.

that's the worst way to use spoiler tags. N
o
t L
ike
Th
is
pls
To be fair, it's the first time I used it like that. So those who have beaten/already encountered the boss can know which one the poster is talking about. If it's too spoilery I'll refrain from using it.

Finalow

honestly I gave up on those fish fucks, they have some really stupid combo, huge HP pool and they're much faster than your average monster of that size.

there is nothing in that well anyway, I believe? As for the other one, RUN~

Bebpo

Banned
Does insight matter in the DLC at all? Another thing I did before beating
Ludwig
was spend all my insight to bring down from the 70s to like 9 in case having higher insight was making the DLC tougher.

When I was stuck on the first boss I was wondering if I actually hated the DLC. And then I beat him and he's probably my favorite boss and I remembered how awesome the first area was and that I still have two more ahead of me. It's that good shit. Bloodborne's a special game for me, one of the best of the best.
I've been stuck on him since yesterday morning, prob spent 8/9 hours at this point fighting him/grinding to desperately get my level up (Witch's Abode + 2 moon runes ftw)

I'm a bit tired of seeing him and want to move on but I fully recognize that the encounter is fucking awesome, very unpredictable boss. Only complaint I've really had is occasionally the
delayed drop one hit kill
has seemed a bit unfair at times. Like you keep dodging and think you're fine but suddenly you're caught square underneath the attack despite not seeing any blood lol

Also, question for phase 2:
When he charges up to do the stupid huge green energy wave thing, are you supposed to just wail on him? Because it doesn't seem like you can really do anything to dodge it....finding it really hard to get behind him in that form. I got him down to the last 1/4 of his health one time tho so that was neat

Also also:
Does that corpse dude that talks in the cutscene grab you? I think that happened to me once, thought it was hilarious

mellow

I've gotten
Kos
down pretty low a few times while not really playing smart so I think I'll down him in the next day or two..
Laurence
tho. Yikes.

from what I've noticed with
Kos
it's best to hug his left/dodge left and get directly behind him once he does his twirly attack since that puts you safe from it's AoE, that's a lengthy attack and by staying close you can R2 stagger him into a visceral, in phase 2 you can also stagger into visceral when he does the leaping attack if you get behind him fast enough before he can recover, but phase 2's where he goes HAM and I struggle.

Dahbomb

Im 70+ and on
Mensis
(Assuming you are still on the first try of the game and haven't beaten it yet) Well you can try to get some NPCs to help you. There's a new NPC in the Forbidden Forest near the shortcut that can hook you up with some beefy NPCs to fight alongside you in the boss fights.

Or you can try to gain some levels at this point, I don't know what built/stats you have but even at this stage you can gain benefits from some additional stats.

Also if you have some additional Insight you might want to spend as much as you can so you can have below 10 as it makes the game harder.

spliced

That satisfaction finding the
Church Cannon
. Speaking of which I love the enemy that uses it, when I saw 2 of those guys coming at me I noped my way up the ladder pretty quick.

bryt

What the hell. After taking 4 hours to beat
Ludwig
, I beat the
Living Failures
in two tries and
Maria
in one try.

mellow

honestly I gave up on those fish fucks, they have some really stupid combo, huge HP pool and they're much faster than your average monster of that size.

there is nothing in that well anyway, I believe? As for the other one, RUN~

you get something unique for taking them out

Finalow

you get something unique for taking them out
uh? What's that.

you mean they drop something?

To be fair, it's the first time I used it like that. So those who have beaten/already encountered the boss can know which one the poster is talking about. If it's too spoilery I'll refrain from using it.
doing it like this O
rphan
O
f
K
os
looks really silly, lol

some might be bothered by that even if it's just the initials, might as well spoiler tag everything since if someone's going to read spoilers he's probably going to read it whether it's all black or not.

What the hell. After taking 4 hours to beat
Ludwig
, I beat the
Living Failures
in two tries and
Maria
in one try.

No wonder really.
Ludwig
is pretty unique from all the other bosses I feel. His speed, range and the 2 wildly different phases he goes through make for (comparatively at least) a lot to learn. Where the other fights are more straightforward and not THAT unfamiliar to what the game threw at you before. I mean of course they have new moves to watch out for and all, but there isn't as much to learn I feel.

Skel1ingt0n

Maria
may be my favorite boss in the game.

Seriously felt like Ninja Gaiden Borne. It requires a near perfect mastery of the controls, your weapons, and countering. I beat it on my first try, but the difficulty felt so perfect. It was like I was in a grandiose dance against the enemy, zipping by, dodging back and forth... It was beautiful. Awesome experience.

I'd aim for this:
Vitality: 50
Endurance: 30 (or 35 if you like lots of stamina, screw those 20 endurance users lol)
Strength: 50
Skill: 25
Bloodtinge: 10
Arcane: 18 (or 25 if you want to use Moonlight blade)

You need 18 arcane for Augur of Ebrietas which lets you parry when using a two hander like Ludwig. After that, you can decide if you want to raise Skill or Arcane to 50, or just leave them at 25.

Awesome, thank you.

bryt

No wonder really.
Ludwig
is pretty unique from all the other bosses I feel. His speed, range and the 2 wildly different phases he goes through make for (comparatively at least) a lot to learn. Where the other fights are more straightforward and not THAT unfamiliar to what the game threw at you before. I mean of course they have new moves to watch out for and all, but there isn't as much to learn I feel.

Yeah that's true. All I did in those fights were dodge forward to avoid their attacks and hit them a few times and repeat.

Also, question for phase 2:
When he charges up to do the stupid huge green energy wave thing, are you supposed to just wail on him? Because it doesn't seem like you can really do anything to dodge it....finding it really hard to get behind him in that form. I got him down to the last 1/4 of his health one time tho so that was neat

Also also:
Does that corpse dude that talks in the cutscene grab you? I think that happened to me once, thought it was hilarious

Question 1:
for the wave attack I avoided it just by sprinting away since it has pretty big radius. Other than that though, just stick to his feet and wail on him, and roll to avoid his 2-3 slashes at you (some of which will even miss if you're really close to him, and even if you get sloppy you can regain just by whacking at him). Second phase is actually really easy, you just have to play super aggressive.

Question 2: lmao I have no idea, that would be pretty funny/dickish though.

Kusagari

So I decided to go through the Forbidden Woods on my NG+ to get access to the League. With the help of
Valtr
I finally managed to beat
Ludwig
, but he died near the end of the fight.

Is it fine that he died?

Maria
may be my favorite boss in the game.

Seriously felt like Ninja Gaiden Borne. It requires a near perfect mastery of the controls, your weapons, and countering. I beat it on my first try, but the difficulty felt so perfect. It was like I was in a grandiose dance against the enemy, zipping by, dodging back and forth... It was beautiful. Awesome experience.

Yeah, I think that's my favorite boss fight in the entire game. It was awesome.

Top Bottom