• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

valkyre

i didnt get to try Moonlight Sword for a long time to properly assess its effectiveness, but the moveset looked kinda shitty to me...?

Especially compared to the crazy range / stagger / moves of Ludwig's sword from the main game.

Anyone had enough time with it? Love its looks but if the moveset aint good enough then I'll stick to my Ludwig.

The boom hammer left me with disappointment, but redemption was at hand with the Whirligig Saw.
Still stinging that I can't enjoy the hammer though, conceptually that thing is right up my alley but I just couldn't get any strong use out of it myself. Wasn't expecting to dig the Whirligig Saw as much as I currently am but here we are.

Initially I was having so much trouble with the first boss of the DLC that I took my new character through to the endgame of the main game before returning to the dlc which I think was a wise move on my part, the DLC foes seem more balanced for me at around lvl 70 ish.

Regarding the first DLC boss
Ludwig
Am I alone in finding his first form infinitely more challenging than the second sword swinging form? That first form was giving me so much grief!

The boom hammer left me with disappointment, but redemption was at hand with the Whirligig Saw.
Still stinging that I can't enjoy the hammer though, conceptually that thing is right up my alley but I just couldn't get any strong use out of it myself. Wasn't expecting to dig the Whirligig Saw as much as I currently am but here we are.

Initially I was having so much trouble with the first boss of the DLC that I took my new character through to the endgame of the main game before returning to the dlc which I think was a wise move on my part, the DLC foes seem more balanced for me at around lvl 70 ish.

Regarding the first DLC boss
Ludwig
Am I alone in finding his first form infinitely more challenging than the second sword swinging form? That first form was giving me so much grief!

Second form is much easier I would say. Mostly just dodget behind him. prob for me was getting there with any vials left lol.

Oni Jazar

So what are people's overall impressions of the DLC? I enjoyed Bloodborne a lot when it came out only one trophy short of plat
damn amygdala in dungeon
. I'm wondering if it will be difficult getting back into the swing of things and more importantly if it will be worth it.

So what are people's overall impressions of the DLC? I enjoyed Bloodborne a lot when it came out only one trophy short of plat
damn amygdala in dungeon
. I'm wondering if it will be difficult getting back into the swing of things and more importantly if it will be worth it.

If you like bloodborne its great. Some.of the bosses are the hardest in the game.

So only you can really decide. I thought it was excellent but bloodborne is my game of the year by a fairly large margin.

Wait. What?

This is the boss everyone here is stuck on? I beat him maybe my 4th or 5th try |:

what boss?

whats your set up (lvl, runes etc)

Mr Git

Beat the 3rd boss last night, so good. Fallen in love with one of the new hunter's tools. Bit disappointed with Simon's Bowblade though :c

damn amygdala in dungeon

Simply incredible. Fantastic bosses, level design, gear, and atmosphere. Took me about six hours to pop every trophy, which I was more than happy with. Be warned, though, that the first boss is pretty difficult. DLC gets a bit easier after that, but it might be a tough hurdle to jump if you're rusty.

MilkBeard

Hilariously, I was summoned to a guy who was fighting
Ludwig
for the first time, and somehow we beat him RIGHT before the transformation. It literally said 'PREY SLAUGHTERED" and then began the transformation clip. I thought it was a glitch. Sure enough, as soon as it was over he died. Lol.

For those needing bloodstone chucks and have most of the chalices open, helping a beckoner beat a dungeon boss can drop them. I got around 5 chucks as a summon yesterday doing co-op

MilkBeard

wait - there is a lamp before
ludwig
(boss name)? I only have the starting lamp with the door on the right open

When you are going toward
Ludwig
, after the big guy with the cannon, go right instead of left. THere will be a lamp inside a building (and you can get an item if you continue that way. Do not miss it)

lunlunqq

"Wow, that bloody street seems to be full of dogs. Need to be careful."

*Slowly moving closer to the street

"Wait..."

*Shit pants and runs away...

JimPanzer

Yeah, take a right at the spot where the big dude with the cannon stands. Then it takes like 15 seconds to get to L.

When you are going toward
Ludwig
, after the big guy with the cannon, go right instead of left. THere will be a lamp inside a building (and you can get an item if you continue that way. Do not miss it)

oh wow, completely missed that. good that I beat the first boss in my second try. just imagine all the time wasted running to the boss...

oh wow, completely missed that. good that I beat the first boss in my second try. just imagine all the time wasted running to the boss...

It wasn't until my fourth or fifth run to the boss I spied that lantern, well at least I did find it in the end.
I was spending more time getting past the hunter chap and his crow brigade than I spent in the actual boss fight (partly because I was getting rinsed mind you)

MilkBeard

Wow,
Beasthunter Saif
is no joke. Its stats are literally half of my other weapons, but you can stunlock to win with the normal version. Seriously, do not overlook this weapon based on its stats.

JimPanzer

Wow,
Beasthunter Saif
is no joke. Its stats are literally half of my other weapons, but you can stunlock to win with the normal version. Seriously, do not overlook this weapon based on its stats.

it also has an incredible moveset. love that forward leaping attack when transformed. too bad its design is rather bland and just too similar to the saw cleaver.

BeeDog

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, had only two hits left on OoK on my first try before he decided to groundstomp me to death. I bet any subsequent attempt now from me will suck ass, Souls-style.

Jesus Christ, L is such a fucking roadblock. After I finally managed to beat him (with help, I might add) on my NG BT build, I thought it would be easier on my NG+4 character with a lot of stats at 50, and with the pizza cutter at, +10 but after dying horribly 30 times or so, I dunno anymore... I just want to get throuuuugh~~~

silva1991

finally beat
Laurence
. it's a good fight and the last phase was mind blowing lol. the instant deaths on NG++++ made it frustrating though.

time to play with my strength character.......... on NG++++ as well fucccccck. good thing I can get the weapons I want with out fighting the last ond optional boss.

Starting a new character with a dex/bloodtinge focus. Gonna go for the Saif and Bowblade. I don't know if having two weapons equipped impedes stamina regen too much though.

MilkBeard

So the Beast Claw + Beast Rune is an incredible combo. That lunge attack recks everything and has an excellent range.

The visual transformation looks cool too. It's one of those things that we imagined could be in the game back when we were playing vanilla and wondering about the beast pellets. Now From actually put it in the game. Sweet deal.

p3n

i didnt get to try Moonlight Sword for a long time to properly assess its effectiveness, but the moveset looked kinda shitty to me...?

Especially compared to the crazy range / stagger / moves of Ludwig's sword from the main game.

Anyone had enough time with it? Love its looks but if the moveset aint good enough then I'll stick to my Ludwig.

I tested it for a short time and found the moveset lacking as well....and regretted upgrading it to +9.....

....BUT, I tried a few depth 5 C/F/R gem farm runs in chalice dungeons whit it today and found the moveset has way more to it than initially apparent. The R2 charge has a combo (R2 - R2 in both forms), the L2 has a ridiculous AE knockback range (cleared 9 red spiders in a small tunnel in one hit!), the friggin L1 combo out of anything is a fast AE knockdown that does about 150% base damage and doesn't consume bullets.

Starting in 2H mode: R2 R2 L1 R1 R1 is a nice safe combo against anything that can be knocked down and deals about 7000 damage at +10 with all physical gems (30 STR, 50 SKL, 30 ARC, 220 stamina). Compare that to BoM spam that ends with 5500 damage in one stamina bar and you see this weapon is really really good even if it eats through your bullets rather fast if you use the cheesy L2 a lot.

Top Bottom